Question on printability

If you have general questions, here is the place to post them!
Otherwise, if you need help on a specific Tool:
Click HERE for Technical Support for TOS 2nd PRO edition
Click HERE for Technical Support for TOS+
Click HERE for help on TOS CORE
Click HERE for help on the Loot Divider
Click HERE for help on TOS Caravan
Deadmeat
Soldier
Soldier

Question on printability

Post by Deadmeat »

First things first, I like the sheet, and am considering purchasing it. It is by far the most complete/customizable/easy to use sheet I have seen. :D

I do have a few cosmetic issues that I was hoping you could answer me on.

In the registered version, is the color scheme protected?

I read through the manual, the faq, and the posts, but no one else seemed to have asked that question.

I find that the boxes are too dark for good readability when printed out. I would personally like to incorporate some color (light yellow or something easy to read through) for some key attributes in the printed versions. Perhaps bolding of the white text in the black boxes, and a lighter shade of gray in the protected area's would help with readability.

It seems petty, but it makes a difference when staring at a sheet for hours on end.

Thanks,
Dominic

--All misspellings are intentional and the intelectual property of the owner.
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx »

As far as I know, the only thing you can do is print in black and white.
R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight
CarnageCJB
Templar
Templar

Post by CarnageCJB »

Flinx wrote:As far as I know, the only thing you can do is print in black and white.
Yeah, Excel has a hard limit on the number of different cell formats permitted within any given workbook, and IIRC, Richard has already run into this limit (or come extremely close to it). Letting people change formats on the fly would probably cause the limit to be hit almost immediately. The fact that each different border is considered a different cell format probably doesn't help matters much. :(

But yes, you can print a copy of the sheet without any sort of shading or much formatting at all. It makes it much easier on the eyes. Under the File menu, choose Page Setup, then pick the Sheet tab. Under the Print section, check the Black and White box, and click OK. When you print the sheet, all cell shading should be removed.
Everybody loves ninjas!
Deadmeat
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Deadmeat »

Thanks for the replys, but that's not what I was asking. The cells are already formatted, I just want to know if I will be able to change the colors around so that it prints better when I buy the sheet.

I want to make all of the white text bold(on black background), and make all of the grey area's some other very light color.

The just white and black is .. ok .. but not really want you want to see, know what I mean?

thanks,
Dominic
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Deadmeat wrote:Thanks for the replys, but that's not what I was asking. The cells are already formatted, I just want to know if I will be able to change the colors around so that it prints better when I buy the sheet.

I want to make all of the white text bold(on black background), and make all of the grey area's some other very light color.

The just white and black is .. ok .. but not really want you want to see, know what I mean?

thanks,
Dominic
Unfortunatly, no.
[as mentionned] I have hit the maximum number of cell formats sometime ago (thanks Microsoft for that low number...) and it's very annoying. Adding new 'formatting' would probably not be a good idea.

Also, if you play around formats (assuming that you would'nt hit Excel's limit), you would have to re-do that work for any updates you download.

admin
Deadmeat
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Deadmeat »

Ok, thanks for the answer. I'll pass it on to my group and see if they are interested in buying in.

Thanks,
Dominic
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

I added an option to 'lighten' the Sheet.

It is now possible to replace the Gray to a lighter gray, up to complete white! (this option has now been added in the next release)

here is a preview of an Alpha version (which has some errors, as I'm working on it presently) - with the Gray set to WHITE.

The nice thing is that this does not impact the number of formats, as I'm just changing an existing color index to a new value.

Hopefully, this will increase readability.
Richard
Attachments
LighterSheet.pdf
Note: PDF conversion created 'ghost' effect (like lines that are a bit longer and such)
(40.08 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
Deadmeat
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Deadmeat »

ah, much better. Prints much cleaner.

Thanks!

When is the next release, I'll be buying 3 copies then or in 2 weeks, whichever comes first ;)

-Dominic
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Deadmeat wrote:ah, much better. Prints much cleaner.

Thanks!

When is the next release, I'll be buying 3 copies then or in 2 weeks, whichever comes first ;)

-Dominic
I don't know exactly when TOS+ comes out: I've still got a lot of work to do on it - adding those effects is a major redesign!

I placed a progress report in the Royal Court (for registered Users)

Glad you'll be joining us!
Note that you can't "own" 3 copies of the SHeet, but you can purchase copies for friends (see FAQ for details)
Thanks!

Richard
Last edited by admin on Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deadmeat
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Deadmeat »

cool beans. Email sent.

-Dominic
NemoHac
Peasant
Peasant

Post by NemoHac »

admin wrote:I added an option to 'lighten' the Sheet.

It is now possible to replace the Gray to a lighter gray, up to complete white! (this option has now been added in the next release)

here is a preview of an Alpha version (which has some errors, as I'm working on it presently) - with the Gray set to WHITE.

The nice thing is that this does not impact the number of formats, as I'm just changing an existing color index to a new value.

Hopefully, this will increase readability.
Richard
Very nice. I've just bought in on the sheet myself. I spent far too long looking round on the net for a goot character sheet/tracker/generator and everything I found was too restricted (basically exact rules only). I printed off my first char & thought about the grey myself but that feature takes real good care of it.

Thanks for your hard work!
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Re:

Post by admin »

Deadmeat wrote:Thanks for the replies, but that's not what I was asking. The cells are already formatted, I just want to know if I will be able to change the colors around so that it prints better when I buy the sheet. ...
Update: The next version of the Sheet (AFTER v3.667) will feature a THEME worksheet where you'll be able to apply coloring themes to the Sheet. Users will also be able to make their own theme and share their artwork with the community! One of the built-in themes is 'Black&White", which uses minimal ink on the printer :)

admin

Return to “Twiglet's Tavern [Open to All]”