5th Edition Announced

If you have general questions, here is the place to post them!
Otherwise, if you need help on a specific Tool:
Click HERE for Technical Support for TOS 2nd PRO edition
Click HERE for Technical Support for TOS+
Click HERE for help on TOS CORE
Click HERE for help on the Loot Divider
Click HERE for help on TOS Caravan
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

5th Edition Announced

Post by JPetherick »

From the Wizards of the Coast website: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... l/20120109

It had to happen.
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Re: 5th Edition Announced

Post by admin »

I am thinking that Pathfinder has hurt Wizards a LOT - specially since it has attracted such a large fan base who just wanted D&D3.5 to be improved... (I dunno if this is true, but I heard that Pathfinder was out-selling 4th edition - this would seem like a good reason for Wizards to drop 4th!!)

Will this 5th edition means that those who purchased books from 4th edition will (yet again) see their library incompatible with the newer stuff?

I have an idea: Wizards should make Pathfinder compatible books >:)

admin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

I knew something like this was coming. I knew this back when I began playtesting Pathfinder. Every so many years, they have to come out with a new iteration of D&D in order to continue sales growth.

R
I expect that would be the case. I'm just glad that I haven't gotten too far into 4th Ed books just for that reason, Though I think there might be a slim chance that this 5th Ed will be built on top of 4th, just because someone in WotC might be smart enough to realize that they'll lose more customers if they don't.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Benji
BARON
BARON

Post by Benji »

Ugh... Another new edition...

I suspect I'm probably going to keep on sticking with 3.5... The only way I'd move on is if 5th is a logical improvement on 3.5 (the same way that Pathfinder was) but I doubt that'll happen.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid
JeffK88
EARL
EARL

Post by JeffK88 »

I've been playing D&D for 30+ years. I absolutely adore the game..Started with my first character as an elf....just elf in the basic box set that had the blue cover, B1, and chits for dice. When they released 4th edition..I was sickened. What was this MMORPG on the tabletop? I was pumped when they announced it was coming out, pre-ordered the books...they still sit on my shelf, so I continued 3.5 till I tried PF..and Now I play PF.

The only thing that would bring me back to D&D is if they eliminate the class system and hit points, otherwise I dont see supporting the game that brough worlds of imagination to my life many many years ago...

Rest in peace Gary Gygax, TSR, D&D...
Image Ash Reacone - Human Cleric
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Yeah, while i did start up with the basic boxed set, and progressed with some friends through to the immortals boxed set, I do recall a time when human races could only dual-class and "sub" human races where able to multiclass, but held level limits.
I recall my pals saying this was silly, and we invented our own progression system that allowed a balanced, though limited, multiclassing progression for all the races. I made a half-elf ranger who also took levels in three other classes, rogue and sorcerer and druid I think. Man I miss that guy. Still I recall a time in D&D history when the ranger was able to attain up to third caster level in arcane and divine spells. For the life of me though, I'm still unable to find any material to support this recollection.

As far as fifth returning to improving on 3.5, hold your breath only if you're suicidal. I'm betting my lifetime of earnings on that never happening with WotC and D&D. To me, D&D died with 4th, but was reborn with Pathfinder.

I played 4th, and yes, I had the same reaction, MMORPG. But I did like the play of it for a time, but only for a short time. That was because I didn't know about pathfinder. At least not until I saw the beta book in a game store I was playing at.
Image Image
larenee
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by larenee »

No surprise, that announement. I will observe developments as they progress, but only with a vague curiousity -- just to see what they will try to do in order to 'gather' the fan base. Like many here, I was unsatisfied with 4E, and expect the same from 5E. Still, it should be interesting to watch.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Duniagdra wrote:...Still I recall a time in D&D history when the ranger was able to attain up to third caster level in arcane and divine spells. For the life of me though, I'm still unable to find any material to support this recollection...
Your memory is accurate. On my shelf is a very worn copy of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Players Handbook (which is, to my mind, 1.5 edition, with 1st edition being the original white box with the 8"x5" books). It shows the ranger gaining up to 3rd level Druid spells and up to 2nd level Magic-User spells (Magic-User being what Wizards were called back in the day).
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Or your memory may be contaminated by the Gold Box game from SSI ... rangers in those games could do that, too.
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
JeffK88
EARL
EARL

Post by JeffK88 »

Thats not 1.5 ..thats 1.0..

1.0 Advanced to be exact..there basic, and whole other set of rules that were in 1st edition.

Or you could call things prior to advanced d&d not even being 1.0
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

patransom wrote:
Duniagdra wrote:...Still I recall a time in D&D history when the ranger was able to attain up to third caster level in arcane and divine spells. For the life of me though, I'm still unable to find any material to support this recollection...
Your memory is accurate. On my shelf is a very worn copy of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Players Handbook (which is, to my mind, 1.5 edition, with 1st edition being the original white box with the 8"x5" books). It shows the ranger gaining up to 3rd level Druid spells and up to 2nd level Magic-User spells (Magic-User being what Wizards were called back in the day).
Yep. I knew it. I still have a good many of those books too, in boxes somewhere. Man that was a great character.
Image Image
Victor71
Divine Rank 10
Divine Rank 10

Post by Victor71 »

admin wrote:I am thinking that Pathfinder has hurt Wizards a LOT - specially since it has attracted such a large fan base who just wanted D&D3.5 to be improved... (I dunno if this is true, but I heard that Pathfinder was out-selling 4th edition - this would seem like a good reason for Wizards to drop 4th!!)
admin
Yes it is true, Pathfinder has out sold 4th edition! This came from Lisa the CEO of pathfinder as shown at this link.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/press-rele ... ost5634164
Image Ezren: Human Wizard
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Players Roll the Dice for Dungeons & Dragons Remake
Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition Rules Are On the Way

Wizards has fractured the D&D community with their release of 4th... and opened the door to Pathfinder.
Will 5th patch things up? I'd be surprised if it did: Do people really want to re-purchase their libraries of books to switch to yet another system?

I'll stick with Pathfinder ... :D

admin
JeffK88
EARL
EARL

Post by JeffK88 »

Well Wizards cant really make the next iteration of 3.5. Since PF did that.

That being said, the only thing they could do is combine 3.5/4.0, which still wouldnt be anygood, or basically sink the premise of the original D&D, and make an entire new system, but keep all the flavor of D&D through the ages..

Return to “Twiglet's Tavern [Open to All]”