The Hacking Cough

In the small town of Falcon's Hollow life is hard enough struggling under the oppressive thumb of the Lumber Consortium; a corrupt logging company muscling out any chance of competition and opposition. Even as a sickness strikes and begins to spread, the Consortium does nothing to help. When an herbalist learns the source and nature of the sickness, it takes a small group of trouble makers to find the cure.
Post Reply
User avatar
apwhite
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:28 pm
Location: St George, Utah
Contact:

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by apwhite » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:15 pm

Locutus who can over hear the monsterous voice of the giant decides it might be better to invoke some divine help. He steps back and casts Speak with Animals. (His final level 1 spell for the day). He will then speak to Ryker, giving him specific instructions. Ryker. It is very important that you not show agression to this brute. Steer clear of him. He is looking for a ring made of hands, like mine, interwoven. They are probably rotten and will smell of decay. Please help us to find them. He then will cast Guidance on Ryker.
SpoilerShow
SRD wrote:Scent

This extraordinary ability lets a creature detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell.

A creature with the scent ability can detect opponents by sense of smell, generally within 30 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range is 60 feet. If it is downwind, the range is 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at three times these ranges.
(Ryker ought to be able to detect it from 120' or 240' if downwind from it)

The creature detects another creature’s presence but not its specific location. Noting the direction of the scent is a move action. If it moves within 5 feet of the scent’s source, the creature can pinpoint that source.

A creature with the Track feat and the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10. The DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry’s odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Track feat. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.
Wisdom+Guidance for smelling the ring. DC10+2*hr (1d20+1+1=13)

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by Duniagdra » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:08 pm

BusyCowboy wrote:Illixian thinks for a moment and looks up at the giant A ring of hands, hmmm...what a very...nice gift. Say, do you think mayhaps you had left it at the place to where you drank? You could also lift me up and I can take a look around for you if you would like, after all, it is difficult to see such a .... wondrous item from way down here....

He then looks at the giant again and then the others You need not worry giant, there are several of us here that are WILLING to assist you finding your ring. In fact, they are looking for it now, that is why they are sneaking around
My Name Kardoblag, not giant. Good, then you go look for ring... Just then there's a call from Ryiad.
tdsprouse wrote:Ryiad goes through the motions of looking for the Ring, to look busy and avoid being crushed by the Giant's club.

Search the area for Ring (1d20 9=20)
Hey, over here! Ryiad's pointing into the tree at something out of his reach. I think you hung it on a limb up there!

Kardoblag stumbles over to Ryiad and spreads the tree open, snapping a number of branches in the process. Ah! This is it. Kardoblag shows you the ring, in all its morbid glory. A twisted collection of human and human-like hands. Some seem to possibly even be elven, slender and delicate. He slides the "ring" back on his finder and smiles. Eama never know now. Kardoblag pats Ryiad on the head, knocking him to the ground. Ryiad rubs his head, thankful that was just a pat.
Yeah, well... You're welcome Kardoblag. Ryiad says still on the ground. The giant smiles that inebriated smile that only a drunk can give. Okay, I not to eat you. Though Eama would be sure to not make beatings if I bring one or two with me. I go now.

You all watch as Kardoblag tramples through the forest, knocking down a few small trees in his path. As he leaves, you notice a small sack fall from his hip. When he's gone, you open it and find inside, the head, torso, and leg of an ogre, three large stones, and underneath all this, thick with drying ogre blood, one hundred eighteen gold coins. You're quick to divide the coins after cleaning them off, and leave the remaining contents for the animals. Ryker makes sure to be the first to tear off a chunk of thigh meat as you all leave, chewing it down as he trots along beside Locutus.

It's maybe an hour later that you find the remains of the ogres the giant must have been talking about. The site's a complete mess with body parts everywhere. You make haste out of there as fast as you can.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Well done. Kardoblag would have surely been the end of this game had any one of you tried to attack him. I think he has more HP than all of you combined. LOL
Okay. There was a problem with the XP tracker in the DM Sheet that has now been fixed, but when I did the update, I lost all previous RP XP. So, I'm starting like this:[list]Experience Reward[*]Collin 1047[*]Delastian 1047[*]Drini 1047[*]Illixian 800[*]Locutus 1047[*]Ryiad 1047[/list]That is what you had coming into this encounter. For this encounter everyone gets 533 XP. Illixian gets an additional 198 XP for diplomacy. This should now have Illixian at 1531 and the rest of you at 1580.

From now on after each encounter I will post your XP Awards so you have a running count instead of waiting for me to tel you when it's time to level.

 

After narrowly avoiding sure death with that giant, you continue on. Here and there the forest opens up, but mostly the journey is difficult with you having to follow trails left by animals. Locutus has done well to get you through the hardest part of it. Soon you reach a darker point in the forest. All of you but Locutus hear the sweetest voice that could have ever hit your ears. Her voice is just so lovely and beautiful, that all you desire is to get closer. You see that there are already four lumberjacks here, also captivated by the lovely voice and melody.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Collin Will Save (1d20+6=13)
Del Will Save (1d20+6=9) Error, Del has a +1, but that's still a fail.
Drini Will Save (1d20+6=11) Error, Drini has a +2, but that's still a fail.
Illixian Will Save (1d20+6=8)
Locutus Will Save (1d20+4=16)
Ryiad Will Save (1d20+3=15)

 

For Locutus though, the sounds he hears are nothing more than squeaks, squeals, shrieks, and Shrills. He notes that the sound is coming from a tree just ahead and can see something, with a tail and wings, perched up there. Everyone's heard the stories of harpies and their foul and captivating songs. He assumes this can be nothing more than just that. How can he break this enchantment though?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

User avatar
Benji
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Portsmouth, England
Contact:

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by Benji » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:32 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Do you want us to PM levelled characters straight to you?

Also, are we rolling hit points or taking a set amount?

 

Drini stares up at the sky with a wide smile on his face. Deadly cauldrons. Stinking Giants. I felt for sure that the next encounter would be a Dragon with toothache... Now THIS is what I call a decent excursion. He walks towards the singing voice and sits down.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

User avatar
apwhite
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:28 pm
Location: St George, Utah
Contact:

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by apwhite » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:51 pm

Benji wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Do you want us to PM levelled characters straight to you?

Also, are we rolling hit points or taking a set amount?

 

Drini stares up at the sky with a wide smile on his face. Deadly cauldrons. Stinking Giants. I felt for sure that the next encounter would be a Dragon with toothache... Now THIS is what I call a decent excursion. He walks towards the singing voice and sits down.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Are we using medium/fast/slow leveling?

Instead of a dragon, I was thinking of nasty undead, like allips or something.

 


User avatar
apwhite
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:28 pm
Location: St George, Utah
Contact:

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by apwhite » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Seeing that his companions are captivated by this creature and surely the end result can't be good for their quests, Locutus decides to go all-in. As he is still somewhat hidden by the trees, he will do the following during his next rounds:
1. Cast Guidance on himself
2. Ready his Alchemist Fire in his hand.
3. Cast Guidance on Ryker
4. Move to the harpy

His plan is to feign being captivated until he gets within range of the harpy. Then he will throw the Alchmist Fire at her when her guard is down. At that exact moment, he will command Ryker to attack. His next round will have him attacking with his dagger. If things go according to plan, he should only have to fight the harpy for one round before the others are allowed to wake up.

That will be his plan over the next few rounds. If the harpy's actions change, then Locutus might modify his plan.

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by tdsprouse » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:36 am

Seeing that everyone else seems taken in by the creature and Thinking the only way that he'll have a shot at the screeching Harpy is to circle around behind it, so he double moves around the trees behind him, hoping his footfalls will be covered by the noise and the others moving through the underbrush.

Ryaid moves back through I-17 and around the trees, Ryiad moves to F-11, staying out of sight of the Harpy.
Last edited by tdsprouse on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:31 am

tdsprouse wrote:Subject: The Hacking Cough
Duniagdra wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Collin Will Save (1d20+6=13)
Del Will Save (1d20+6=9) Error, Del has a +1, but that's still a fail.
Drini Will Save (1d20+6=11) Error, Drini has a +2, but that's still a fail.
Illixian Will Save (1d20+6=8)
Locutus Will Save (1d20+4=16)
Ryiad Will Save (1d20+3=15)

 



Ryiad's an Elf and gets +2 bonus to saving throws vs Enchantments spells and effects. Does that apply here?
OUT OF CHARACTER
Yes, it actually does. Ryiad and Locutus are aware of what is happening and can formulate a plan. That was my bad.

 

Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by tdsprouse » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:16 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Edited my post above

 

Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:26 pm

apwhite wrote:Seeing that his companions are captivated by this creature and surely the end result can't be good for their quests, Locutus decides to go all-in. As he is still somewhat hidden by the trees, he will do the following during his next rounds:
1. Cast Guidance on himself
2. Ready his Alchemist Fire in his hand.
3. Cast Guidance on Ryker
4. Move to the harpy

His plan is to feign being captivated until he gets within range of the harpy. Then he will throw the Alchmist Fire at her when her guard is down. At that exact moment, he will command Ryker to attack. His next round will have him attacking with his dagger. If things go according to plan, he should only have to fight the harpy for one round before the others are allowed to wake up.

That will be his plan over the next few rounds. If the harpy's actions change, then Locutus might modify his plan.
tdsprouse wrote:Seeing that everyone else seems taken in by the creature and Thinking the only way that he'll have a shot at the screeching Harpy is to circle around behind it, so he double moves around the trees behind him, hoping his footfalls will be covered by the noise and the others moving through the underbrush.

Ryaid moves back through I-17 and around the trees, Ryiad moves to F-11, staying out of sight of the Harpy.
Ryiad sees that Locutus seems to be preparing something and waits. When Locutus sees that Ryiad is stalling, but the others are moving on, he assumes that he has at least one other to help with this harpy. Guidance now cast on Ryker and himself, he moves closer to the harpy sending Ryker up and around with Ryiad. The four lumberjacks are all in easy striking distance of the harpy.
Before the harpy attacks them, she sees that more prey has come to her feast. She continues her singing, drawing them nearer. Locutus tries to move a bit quicker to outpace the others.
  • Round 1
    1. Initiative:
    2. Harpy
    3. Locutus & Ryker
    4. Collin
    5. Ryiad
    6. Drini
    7. Delastian
    8. Illixian
    9. Lumberjacks (4)
    • Current Damage:
    • None
    • Current Effects:
    • Guidance - Locutus & Ryker (+1 bonus to one Attack, Skill Check, or Saving Throw Roll, Ended when used or one minute has passed
    • None
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

User avatar
Benji
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Portsmouth, England
Contact:

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by Benji » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:37 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Heh, liking how the lumberjacks look like zombies :lol:

 

Drini will move to H10 for now and stare up at the tree as if captivated.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

DrizztFan24
Horseman
Horseman
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: USA

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by DrizztFan24 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:49 pm

*mumbles to self* You are so beautiful, to me.....THINKING: Finally, something that is not so brash and brutal in this cruel world.

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by Duniagdra » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:14 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry about that. The Harpy starts off the round. Really, the only actions i'm looking for would come from Locutus and Ryiad, as they are the only two in control of themselves.

 

The Harpy continues to "sing" and lure in her additional bounty.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

User avatar
apwhite
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:28 pm
Location: St George, Utah
Contact:

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by apwhite » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:14 pm

Locutus, attempting to fake the effect of the harpy's spell lumbers to a suitable position (H9) from which he can launch is attack. Once in position,he heroicaly throws his bag of Alchemist fire onto the unsuspecting harpy and commands Ryker to attack. The twigs and ground cover upset his balance and the throw misses and the bag explodes into a ball of fire (on miss grid #7, however you count it). Ironically, Ryker, who is generally a faithful companion completely ignores the command to attack the Harpy. Perhaps Ryker knew that he could not jump into the tree. Regardless, Locutus has played his hand of cards and fully lost the element of surprise. The ensuing battle will be played on level terms. My Erastil have mercy on his soul.
SpoilerShow
SRD wrote:Alchemist’s Fire

You can throw a flask of alchemist’s fire as a splash weapon. Treat this attack as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 10 feet.

A direct hit deals 1d6 points of fire damage. Every creature within 5 feet of the point where the flask hits takes 1 point of fire damage from the splash. On the round following a direct hit, the target takes an additional 1d6 points of damage. If desired, the target can use a full-round action to attempt to extinguish the flames before taking this additional damage. Extinguishing the flames requires a DC 15 Reflex save. Rolling on the ground provides the target a +2 bonus on the save. Leaping into a lake or magically extinguishing the flames automatically smothers the fire.

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by tdsprouse » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:38 pm

Ryiad moves to H8 and attacks the harpy (if that square is on fire, he'll go to H9).

Attack Harpy (1d20+4=17, 1d6+3=6)
If Sneak Attack applies, since he's been hidden?? Sneak Attack (1d6=5)
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by Duniagdra » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:41 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
I have to know what Ryiad is attacking with before I can validate. All to often I'm left to assume what weapon is being used. Do I make my own assumption here?

 

Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by tdsprouse » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:27 am

Rapier.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: The Hacking Cough

Post by Duniagdra » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:10 am

apwhite wrote:Locutus, attempting to fake the effect of the harpy's spell lumbers to a suitable position (H9) from which he can launch is attack. Once in position,he heroicaly throws his bag of Alchemist fire onto the unsuspecting harpy and commands Ryker to attack. The twigs and ground cover upset his balance and the throw misses and the bag explodes into a ball of fire (on miss grid #7, however you count it). Ironically, Ryker, who is generally a faithful companion completely ignores the command to attack the Harpy. Perhaps Ryker knew that he could not jump into the tree. Regardless, Locutus has played his hand of cards and fully lost the element of surprise. The ensuing battle will be played on level terms. My Erastil have mercy on his soul.
SpoilerShow
SRD wrote:Alchemist’s Fire

You can throw a flask of alchemist’s fire as a splash weapon. Treat this attack as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 10 feet.

A direct hit deals 1d6 points of fire damage. Every creature within 5 feet of the point where the flask hits takes 1 point of fire damage from the splash. On the round following a direct hit, the target takes an additional 1d6 points of damage. If desired, the target can use a full-round action to attempt to extinguish the flames before taking this additional damage. Extinguishing the flames requires a DC 15 Reflex save. Rolling on the ground provides the target a +2 bonus on the save. Leaping into a lake or magically extinguishing the flames automatically smothers the fire.
Locutus gives his best effort at throwing the bundle of fire at the harpy, but a twig jabbing into the bottom of his boot threw his focus off. The bundle flies through the branches and smacks the trunk of the tree. For the harpy, however, this may as well have been a direct hit since she was clinging to the trunk when the bundle burst. An awful shriek that could have woke the dead had there been a cemetery near by interrupts her "song" and she frantically tries to stop the flames, but fails. This causes a misstep and the harpy tumbles to a lower limb from where she's perched. (Harpy -1hp)
Ryker seems to have second thoughts. Maybe it had something to do with fire and a wolf having fur? Seeing Ryiad move to the tree, however, the activity makes Ryker forget his concern and follows in beside him.
tdsprouse wrote:Ryiad moves to H8 and attacks the harpy (if that square is on fire, he'll go to H9).

Attack Harpy (1d20+4=17, 1d6+3=6)
If Sneak Attack applies, since he's been hidden?? Sneak Attack (1d6=5)
With the harpy now in better reach. Rapier drawn, Ryiad swings at the harpy and slices through her calf. (Harpy -11hp)
Still trying to deal with the little flames on her wings, this new attack is completely out of nowhere for her and causes her to fall again, this time to the feet of Ryiad, Locutus, and Ryker.


Round 2
The harpy tries to leap to the air and make an escape, But this prime opportunity does not go without notice.
Ryiad and Ryker both attack getting in two good hits before the creature can get out of reach.(Harpy -10hp)

Being a coward, and not pleased that only two potential victims were not caught up in her "song" the harpy opts to continue flying off and mend her wounds. Unfortunately, taking flight seems to excite the flames at the edges of her wings, causing them to grow. You watch in amazement as the harpy continues to try to fly off and battle these flames at the same time. You can see that now much of her wings are engulfed in flames. Eventually, you see her fall from the sky and land someplace in the forest.

A moment later everyone else wakes from the enchantment and the lumberjacks, realizing the predicament they were just saved from empty their pockets offering you everything they have on them (a total of 20sp, a weeks wages for them) and force you to accept.
There'll be more weeks ahead for us to earn a living and support our families. Again, we can't thank you enough for what you have done. Even if by chance you happened to walk this way, it was by the gods that you did and that two of you were able to act. What are your names, so we may tell what you have done?

This here is Locutus and his pal Ryker. This big fellow is Collin, then our muscle Drini, our healer Illixian, and hopefully our guide to staying on the right path, Delastian. I am Ryiad. Ryiad bows with a flurry.
The men then head off with their axes and maps in hand, back to the Lumber Consortium to report what they've found.

Feeling better for the deed you have done, you press on.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Okay. This thread has gone long enough, so I'll be starting up a new thread.
Rewards are as follows:
Everyone 200 XP for beating the Harpy
Ryiad and Locutus 100 XP for being the ones to save the party.
20 Silver to share between you all. this comes out to a value of 3 silver and 3 copper each with 1 copper extra.

We continue HERE.

 

Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} Duni's World Bazaar {Pathfinder} [FULL][ON HOLD]”