DWB: The Rescue Begins; Elara's Halfway House

In the small town of Falcon's Hollow life is hard enough struggling under the oppressive thumb of the Lumber Consortium; a corrupt logging company muscling out any chance of competition and opposition. Even as a sickness strikes and begins to spread, the Consortium does nothing to help. When an herbalist learns the source and nature of the sickness, it takes a small group of trouble makers to find the cure.
Post Reply
User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

DWB: The Rescue Begins; Elara's Halfway House

Post by Duniagdra » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:58 pm

Harg leaves the podium and the area after exchanging pleasantries with you and your newest member and others there. Then Sheriff Deldrin approaches.
a stern authoritative tone: So, let's get you headed on your way. Those children won't last long if what you say is true.
He brings you to the stables and shows you to the horses that have been readied for you. They're packed with all that the horses need and ready to carry any extra things you need. You waste no time in loading them up with your gear and soon head off.

You decide to make a stop at the Burnt Orphanage to gather any information that might assist you in confirming your suspicions. The blackened husk of the orphanage lies atop the hill. Charred timbers are strewn among piles of caked ash and the only edifice left standing is a soot-stained stone arch. A small stuffed doll lies below the arch, her face seared off and her patchwork dress spilling dirty stuffing. Beside her, a troop of half-melted tin soldiers stand in formation, their bodies twisted and deformed by the blaze that claimed their owner’s life. Searching around uncovers nothing until Ryiad, Doran, and Kay call attention to their position. It's a charred trapdoor beneath an inch of ash in the center of the ruins. The lock is melted shut and cannot be picked, but the door is badly damaged and easily smashed open.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Will you choose to investigate what might lie below?

 

Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by tdsprouse » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:46 pm

Someone want to bust this open? I could lower a Sunrod before we go down, see if there is anything about.
Last edited by tdsprouse on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Duniagdra » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:55 pm

tdsprouse wrote:Interesting, we'll see if we can see anything from up here.

Ryiad activates a Sunrod, ties his rope to it and lowers it into the opening. Trying to see whatever he can before going down.

OUT OF CHARACTER
how deep does it go, and is there a ladder/stairs?

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
I think you misread. You found a trap door with the lock melted. It cannot be picked. You can try to Break it open instead.

 

Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

Badlapje
BARON
BARON
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:56 am
Location: Belgium

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Badlapje » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:58 pm

turning to Drini Oi Drini, i think your axe would come in handy here.
“A player is never late, Dave. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by tdsprouse » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:20 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Ah, yes, i misread. I'll edit teh above to correct

 

Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Round Rock, TX
Contact:

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by marine7312000 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:24 pm

Delastian draws his bastard sword and steps forward. He focuses for a minute and unleashes a powerful two-handed strike.
OUT OF CHARACTER
1d20+6=22, 1d10+6=12

 


User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Duniagdra » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:34 pm

marine7312000 wrote:Delastian draws his bastard sword and steps forward. He focuses for a minute and unleashes a powerful two-handed strike.
OUT OF CHARACTER
1d20+6=22, 1d10+6=12

 

Del bears down on the trap door with the full force of his blade and splinters and chunks of wood fly everywhere. a few of you get showered in debris and ash as he send devastation down on the hatch. Taking a look, it soon comes clear that the next hit won't take much to break it free. There's not much holding together.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

User avatar
DrvFst83
Templar
Templar
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by DrvFst83 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:13 am

Looks like that door's going to need a little more coaxing, Del!
Image Kay Argotron - Half-Elf Ranger

User avatar
marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Round Rock, TX
Contact:

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by marine7312000 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:11 am

Del swings again at the trapdoor.
OUT OF CHARACTER
1d20+6=25, 1d10+6=11

 


User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:17 am

marine7312000 wrote:Del swings again at the trapdoor.
OUT OF CHARACTER
1d20+6=25, 1d10+6=11

 

Without fail, the last bit of wood resisting failure gives under Del's weapon and crashes onto the stairs beneath.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by tdsprouse » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:32 am

Dusting himself off, Ryiad gets to work. Alright, lets see what we can see.

He pulls out and activates a sunrod, ties it to his silk rope, and lowers it down.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

Badlapje
BARON
BARON
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:56 am
Location: Belgium

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Badlapje » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:44 am

Hmm, i prolly should have mentioned this sooner but i can always make some balls of light and direct them down for cases like this. No real need to use up a sunrod if there's no battle to distract my concentration.
“A player is never late, Dave. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:58 am

tdsprouse wrote:Dusting himself off, Ryiad gets to work. Alright, lets see what we can see.

He pulls out and activates a sunrod, ties it to his silk rope, and lowers it down.
Ryiad ignites a sunrod and lowers through the hatch. The stairs get in the way, but he manages to bounce the rod off the side and lowers it to the floor. There's not too much to see. Debris litters the floor below. He hears nothing.
Badlapje wrote:Hmm, i prolly should have mentioned this sooner but i can always make some balls of light and direct them down for cases like this. No real need to use up a sunrod if there's no battle to distract my concentration.
You start THINKING: better to have mentioned this before.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

User avatar
Benji
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Portsmouth, England
Contact:

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Benji » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:14 pm

Drawing both his axes, Drini starts to lead the way down.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

User avatar
DrvFst83
Templar
Templar
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by DrvFst83 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:50 pm

Drawing his longsword, two-handed, Kay follows Drini in.
Image Kay Argotron - Half-Elf Ranger

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Benji wrote:Drawing both his axes, Drini starts to lead the way down.
OUT OF CHARACTER
New Map coming up.

 

Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

Badlapje
BARON
BARON
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:56 am
Location: Belgium

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Badlapje » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:09 pm

After taking a brief moment to cast Dancing Lights Doran follows, letting the ball of light float above his head for now.
“A player is never late, Dave. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by tdsprouse » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:22 pm

Ryiad Follows the others, Rapier ready, picking up his sun rod at the bottom of the stairs.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:42 pm

As you descend the stairs the stench of rot belches forth from this rank cellar. A chipped, blood-stained oaken table rests against one wall, with all manner of blades and barbed instruments laid out on it. A single pair of rusted shackles is bolted into the opposite wall, whose bricks are stained in a bloody account of pain and cruelty. The robed corpse of a woman on the floor is the source of the reeking stench of decay.

You see nothing else aside from the usual webs and bugs typical of a basement, though this one seems to have more webbing than usual.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

Badlapje
BARON
BARON
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:56 am
Location: Belgium

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Badlapje » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:10 pm

Doran walks towards the table to check it out, and casts detect magic when in front of it to see if anything is magical.
“A player is never late, Dave. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:08 pm

Badlapje wrote:Doran walks towards the table to check it out, and casts detect magic when in front of it to see if anything is magical.
Doran finds a pair of masterwork silver daggers and a bundle of rotten herbs.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Craft (alchemy) or Knowledge (nature) to identify the herbs.

 

Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

User avatar
Twiglet
BARON
BARON
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:25 pm
Location: Apache Junction Arizona USA

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Twiglet » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:33 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Branch the ranger leans into the trapdoor.

 

Hail Sir Knight and well met. Is this where the children have gone missing?
Twiglet
Image Anna Conda Human cleric
Image Elisandra Half Elf cleric
Image Branch Half Elf ranger
Image Artemis Half Elf paladin
Image

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:31 pm

Twiglet wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Branch the ranger leans into the trapdoor.

 

Hail Sir Knight and well met. Is this where the children have gone missing?
All of you hear footsteps above and dust falls through the flooring above when someone passes. A voice calls down and Ryiad and Del being on the stairs see a vision of a woman in exploring gear. On her back a buckler and backpack and her hips a flail and longsword. She has a bow slung over a shoulder.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

User avatar
marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Round Rock, TX
Contact:

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by marine7312000 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:36 pm

Friend or foe, you'd best identify yourself, and quickly. Del says, holding his bastard sword between himself and the woman.

User avatar
Twiglet
BARON
BARON
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:25 pm
Location: Apache Junction Arizona USA

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Twiglet » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:34 pm

Sir Knight, I am Branch, ranger of the Fangwatch and friend of Aurore Kaiseva. If, as you appear to be, you are truly a paladin you know that I am at least not evil. I am here to help the children. What say you?
OUT OF CHARACTER
Branch shows palms up in an obvious sign of peace.

 

Twiglet
Image Anna Conda Human cleric
Image Elisandra Half Elf cleric
Image Branch Half Elf ranger
Image Artemis Half Elf paladin
Image

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:58 pm

Twiglet wrote:Sir Knight, I am Branch, ranger of the Fangwatch and friend of Aurore Kaiseva. If, as you appear to be, you are truly a paladin you know that I am at least not evil. I am here to help the children. What say you?
OUT OF CHARACTER
Branch shows palms up in an obvious sign of peace.

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
Anyone care to make skill checks regarding the Fangwatch? Knowledge (local) would do the trick. Maybe even hystory.

 

Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

Badlapje
BARON
BARON
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:56 am
Location: Belgium

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Badlapje » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:50 am

Doran seems to recognise these herbs from his time with the hermit and tries his best to identify them (I don't have ranks in nature so i'll go with just int bonus: 1d20+3=22).
OUT OF CHARACTER
buahahaha, a stroke of genius! :mrgreen:

 

If by then nobody else has reacted he seems to recall having heard about the fangwatch before (1d20+3=8).
“A player is never late, Dave. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by tdsprouse » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:00 am

Kn: Local (1d20+8=19)

Ryiad, with rapier raised but relaxed, Fangwatch? That sounds familiar..., it's clear that he's collecting in his head what he knows.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
Benji
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Portsmouth, England
Contact:

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Benji » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:06 am

Drini ignores the newcomer for now, relying on Ryiad and Del to let him know if any intervention is needed. He will go and check the corpse.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

Badlapje
BARON
BARON
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:56 am
Location: Belgium

Re: DWB: The Rescue Begins

Post by Badlapje » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:08 am

facing the newcomer Don't trust her guys. I believe she is trying to fool us into lowering our guard. The fangwatch is nothing but a ruthless bunch of cuttroaths and brigands! If we turn our back to her it might be the last time, don't let her looks get the better of your judgement!
“A player is never late, Dave. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} Duni's World Bazaar {Pathfinder} [FULL][ON HOLD]”