Pbp game Arena [FULL]

Archives of old PbP requests/news and such.
draconas
BARON
BARON

Pbp game Arena [FULL]

Post by draconas »

Testing the water for another game:

Arena
Somewhere in your past wanderings you had all heard of the slightly mad lord Silvermore, Archmage and supremem ruler of the city of Tarrus which takes up almsot the whole of the plane of Dengra. Whispered stories have gone to every corner of the multiverse about Tarrus and lord silvermores arena.

The archmage uses his collossal power to pull in fighters of all sorts from all over the multiverse and pit them against a series of ever harder bouts for the amusement of the crowds.

Then all of a sudden there was a flash of light, and you found yourself in the arena. With Lord silvermore telling you what a great honour it was to be entertaining his mighty citizens.

Pity you don't remember if any of the stories mentioned people actually winning the arena.

Details
This game hangs on a number of possibilities primarily: me haivng time and my landlord fixing my room so I can access my books again. In any case it will not be starting until new year. It may not end up running, but i want to guage interest.

It is a raw combat game, fight after fight after fight, there will be a few oppertunities for the "softer" skills, but not many.

Given that endurance will be a big part, it will be a gestalt game around levels 10-12. I will be trying to have as many different types of combats, types of field, traps etc.. as possible. Expect everything from hordes of kobolds, to single spellcasters to stealth battles in a forest.

It will be fast posting, validation will happen at least once a week. If you haven't posted by then your character will sit there like a lemon, irrespective of what would be the sensible course of action unless you have given me prior warning - combats on pbp take a long time, if we wait it will go on for ever.

Players: 4-8 It will be parties of 4 (the dnd staple), if I get a lot of requests then I'll run 2 threads, but I don't think I'll have the time to run more than 2 groups.

Characters: varied as possible. It will be point buy with a generous number of points.

Whats not hot:
Psionics (don't have the books and frankly I don't like it)
Book of Vile Darkness/Exalted deeds: they are generally wrong.
Tomb of magic: Don't have the book and really don't have time to learn a whole new magic system.
Munchkin d20. Its not for players. Its for DM's only!

So whats hot?
Aside from that I should have access to most things (though I would request limited forgotten realms/ravenloft stuff as I only have ebooks. I don't mind looking up the odd class/feat etc... but don't want to have to hunt around the entire setting for all the bits of your character) so knock yourselves out for race/class combo, I shall be as flexible as I can. Particular things I haven't seen: incarnum, legacy weapons, tomb of battle to name but 3. If it comes to haivng to choose players then I will be picking the most interesting/horribly broken sounding that I haven't seen much of in play.

Players
Priority to the more experienced players for at least one group. Reason being I haven't DMed a class rules dnd game for a long time (my groups are generally more freeform) and given the somewhat unusual nature of this game (no real rest time) I will probably want some guidence from the other gamemasters of tweaking it as they go through.
Hopefully once one group has run the guantlet we can open it up again for another party of brave fools.

This thread for a general registeration of interest with brief character concept. As you've probably noticed the story is about as detailed as a Die Hard movies, so no need for masses for the characters, just a brief who you are and what you do, and why you should have the honour of having your brains bashed out in my arena.
marine7312000
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by marine7312000 »

This sounds really interesting. I hereby express my interest in playing. The only question I have, and this might seem stupid, are you looking at any downtime between mass slaughters or are you simply going to be running from one smash and grab to another?
Lachesis
Horseman
Horseman

Post by Lachesis »

Is TOS acceptable or just TOS+? I'm interested, possibly playing some mix of monk/rogue to shadow sun ninja/shadow dancer either teifling or halfling.

"Blame yourself, or God."
draconas
BARON
BARON

Post by draconas »

There will be downtime, however it will be measurable in rounds or minutes, depending how generous I am feeling at the time.

TOS+ only please
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

I'm interested. This game seems perfect for Tanith "The Tempest" Tingunn, a character who made appearances in two PbP games here: the long since defunct Demon Hunters and the pre-reset Madragar campaign. I never got to use her in a real fight and she's mad about that.

Depending on her incarnation, Tanith was either a Barbarian/Favored Soul of Gyrax or a Barbarian/Favored Soul/Stormlord of Talos. As a gestalt character, I imagine she would be a Barbarian/Favored Soul --> Stormlord/Frenzied Berserker or something.

Tanith's brief background:
Tanith was born to a nomadic tribe in <insert place here>. From a young age, she displayed great strength and a warrior's prowess. In battle, her ferocity at first earned her respect from her people. She showed no mercy for her foes, never ceasing until all were anihilated. Reaching her teens, however, she began manifesting strange powers. Along with this came an utter disdain for strategy or following orders. Her violence, unpredictable behavior, and dark powers ultimately led her tribe to fear her.

Thus, Tanith has become an outcast. Now she wanders the lands in search of powerful foes to test her mettle. And crush their skulls after she kills them.

Tanith's personality is loud and brash. She likes to cause trouble. She is fascinated by people who are good with weapons, especially really destructive weapons. She tends to ignore or overlook people who seem small, weak, or who are serious or devoted. She has a tendency not to use people's names.

Tanith has recently become aware that her "powers" are, in fact, a manifestation of some deep connection to <insert appropriate Deity of Chaos here>. She revels in this, because destruction suits her, but keeps it a secret. She remembers well how her tribe disowned her. And she has learned that the civilized peoples are even more fearful and less approving of <insert deity here>.

Lord Silvermore's arena seems a perfect place for Tanith!
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
draconas
BARON
BARON

Post by draconas »

Please post concepts on new forum! yay!
Both concepts I have seen here sound cool.
http://theonlysheet.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=43

Return to “The Old Die [Old PbP news]”