Setting for a new game???? [CLOSED]

Archives of old PbP requests/news and such.

What setting should I use for a PF game?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:06 pm

Forgotten Realms
33%
Dragonlance
40%
Kingdoms of Kalamar
7%
Legend of the Five Rings
20%

Total votes: 15

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Setting for a new game???? [CLOSED]

Post by klakxor »

I am planning on beginning a new game using the PF rules. I would like opinions on what setting people would like to see.

I have the sourcebooks and resources for the settings listed. I will keep this poll open for 30 days and then begin setting up the game when I get the results. Then I will post a New Thread for the new Game
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Re: Setting for a new game????

Post by shai-hulud »

I voted Dragonlance, but really, I know very little of the various settings save Eberron. Plus, I am in many games already, so it is doubtful that I would even be selected for this one :P.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
Nargath
BARON
BARON

Post by Nargath »

I went Dragonlance as well. Read the original novels way back when, also liked to tackle the setting :)
Image Xandos
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

I want everyone to vote, whether they play or not, since I want to know what people would like to see as well as what they would like to play in
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

I would like to vote, just on principle, but I'm afraid I can't. The only one of those settings that I have any familiarity with is Forgotten Realms and I'm not a big fan of it (mostly because it confuses me).
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Ceroill
Horseman
Horseman

Post by Ceroill »

I went with Legend of the Five Rings. I've played Dragonlance, and Forgotten Realms, and I have no clue about Kalamar, except that I think it's a genericized 'arabian' setting, and 5 Rings is asian in flavor. So..I went with 5 Rings just for the heck of it. I am interested in playing, when it begins.
Image, Image
Benji
BARON
BARON

Post by Benji »

Dragonlance! Woooooo!
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Heathens! Forgotten Realms is the D&D campaign setting! Accept no substitutes! May Beshaba curse all your d20's to roll 1's!
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

CGM3 wrote:Heathens! Forgotten Realms is the D&D campaign setting! Accept no substitutes! May Beshaba curse all your d20's to roll 1's!
Does your comment implies that you will participate to your first PbP should it be a FR one? hehe

R
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

admin wrote:
CGM3 wrote:Heathens! Forgotten Realms is the D&D campaign setting! Accept no substitutes! May Beshaba curse all your d20's to roll 1's!
Does your comment implies that you will participate to your first PbP should it be a FR one? hehe

R
CGM3 is a member of the 2nd Madragar Group, so this would not be his first PbP :P
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

klakxor wrote:CGM3 is a member of the 2nd Madragar Group, so this would not be his first PbP :P
Oh is that true?
I didn't see a userbar, hence my comment :P

R
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

I cast my vote for FR because I know little about it, which is little more then I know of the others. I've read some dragonlance novels and enjoyed them immensely, so I'd be okay with that also. I know absolutely nothing of the other two.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Actually, it would be my third PbP -- userbars strike me as an affectation -- but if the campaign is FR, I'll be there! :wink:
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Benji
BARON
BARON

Post by Benji »

Duniagdra wrote:I cast my vote for FR because I know little about it, which is little more then I know of the others. I've read some dragonlance novels and enjoyed them immensely, so I'd be okay with that also. I know absolutely nothing of the other two.
Just in case you wanted to know:

I don't know anything about Legend of the Five Rings so I'll just skip it.

Forgotten Realms is probably the 'easiest' to get in to as it's quite close to traditional rules.

Kingdoms of Kalamar is probably second 'easiest'. It's also quite easy to get in to, but there are a LOT of variants in there. I only played for one campaign a long time. I liked it, but I didn't really see anything special there.

Dragonlance is my favourite because it's quite hefty on the history (which I love). If you've read the original trilogy (I believe it's simple called the Dragonlance trilogy) then you already know quite a bit about the War of the Lance era. If you've read the second 'major' trilogy (War of Souls) or the trilogy involving Dhamon Grimwulf (sp?) then you will know a fair bit about the War of Souls era. After those two, there is a new era (Age of Mortals, I *think*). War of the Lance era and War of Souls era are very different from each other with regards to spellcasting. Lance has ONLY studied spellcasters (Wizards and, eventually, Clerics) whilst Souls has ONLY spontaneous spellcasters (Mystics and Sorcerers. Mystics are similar to Favoured Souls but gain domains instead of the other special abilities). Age of Mortals encompasses both of them and is quite close traditional D&D. Depending on which era the play would be taking place would allow me to give much more information (Age of Mortals is the standard one listed in the campaign setting, but War of Souls and War of the Lance crop up quite occasionally.)

Yeah, I know I'm biassed towards Dragonlance but thats only because I'm always the DM in it and never the player. I constantly dream of the day when my Kender Sorcerer lives... Hehe.

Oh, and if anyone thinks I said something wrong then feel free to contradict me. I've never played Forgotten Realms but I know a fair bit about it. I've only played Kingdoms of Kalamar for one campaign with a DM who was new to the setting too.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

One day left in the poll and it looks like DL has a slight lead over FR. Lets see if we can get any last minute voters on board
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

i couldnt decide if i wanted to go with FR (since i know somethimg about it) or DL (since it would be relatively new to me)

So i went with FR so there would be a Tie. :evil: :D
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

How very nice and evil of you.......I think if you get into this game (regardless of what it is) you may need to be a primary target. :lol:
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Looks like the Dragonlance game is the winner. I will be using the next couple weeks to start gathering together an adventure for the game and will let you know when it is ready to go. Thank you everyone for participating in this poll.

Return to “The Old Die [Old PbP news]”