CoD: New Mission - Scourge of the Flame

Archives of old PbP requests/news and such.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

CoD: New Mission - Scourge of the Flame

Post by shai-hulud »

NEW MISSION PARAMETERS
Mission Title: Scourge of the Flame
Brief description of the Mission: A party of adventurers resides in Flamehorn, a small town in Thrane. The town is a site for pilgrims of the Silver Flame. Because of this, the town's only industry is tourism, controlled with an iron fist by House Ghallanda. This mission will be entirely political, giving the opportunity to test out a new mechanic: Social combat.

The reason for this mission is purely a test run of using the combat rules to simulate social interactions. For simplicity, the social combat rules will mimic the physical combat rules nearly exactly. Each character will possess "Social HP" representing the character's current effectiveness in winning an argument, either through negotiations, political maneuvering, etc. The idea is an abstraction, much like hp is meant to be an abstraction of health.

You may ask, "Why add a new mechanic?" The answer is simple. Roleplaying on the forums is extremely difficult for various reasons. The time between posts makes it difficult to recall conversation threads. The time between different players posting makes it difficult to have synchronous social interactions (someone might ask a question at the beginning of a conversation, but because they post a few days late, their question may be moot). There are many other issues with forum roleplaying. The social combat mechanic will allow me to determine how easily social interactions will be for the characters. Social death is not the same as regular death. A character cannot die when he reaches social death. He is just incapable of interacting with NPCs until he is "restored".

Rule System to be used: 3.5 rules with Eberron material. Pulling infinite use of 0th-level spells from Pathfinder. For all base races, ignore the standard ability score adjustments. Instead, all races may choose to add +2 to one stat. Additionally, they may choose another stat (must be different from the first) to receive an additional +2 at the expense of a -2 to a third stat. Feats are gained every level instead of every 3rd level.

Social combat: This mechanic is in progress. I am looking for suggestions. My current thoughts: Every combat feat can be taken either as a combat feat or a social combat feat. This means that all combat feats may be taken twice, once for physical combat, once for social combat.

Changes to base classes:
  • Barbarian: Social HP Die: d4 Social Attack Bonus: Poor
  • Bard: Social HP Die: d12 Social Attack Bonus: Good
  • Cleric: Social HP Die: d8 Social Attack Bonus: Average
  • Druid: Social HP Die: d8 Social Attack Bonus: Average
  • Fighter: Social HP Die: d6 Social Attack Bonus: Poor
  • Monk: Social HP Die: d8 Social Attack Bonus: Average
  • Paladin: Social HP Die: d10 Social Attack Bonus: Good
  • Ranger: Social HP Die: d6 Social Attack Bonus: Poor
  • Rogue: Social HP Die: d10 Social Attack Bonus: Good
  • Sorcerer: Social HP Die: d10 Social Attack Bonus: Good
  • Wizard: Social HP Die: d8 Social Attack Bonus: Average

Social HP is Int-based (as this represents the beginning strength of the argument)
Social Attack Bonus is either Wisdom or Charisma based depending on the type of attack (like ranged and melee combat).

Validation Frequency: 1-2x/week
Minimum/Maximum Number of Players requested: Because it is a new mechanic, I'd like 4 players ideally
Source Books Allowed/Denied: I'm pretty open to source material. Outside of core, ask.
Classes and Races Allowed/Denied: I'm pretty open to races/classes. Just ask.
Starting Level for the Champions: 1st level (with rapid advancement)
How to Generate Attributes: Choice: 38 point buy, roll 3d6.open(6), or 5d6.takeHighest(3).minRoll(2)
Starting Equipment/Wealth: TBD
End Conditions: TBD
Notes about this Mission: This is a test mission that will be designed to test social combat. This means that rules may change mid-game. Please bear with me as I work out kinks in the system.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Re: CoD: New Mission - Scourge of the Flame

Post by shai-hulud »

A little additional information on the new system:

Social AC:
Much like normal AC, social AC will have different types. Association with an organization can offer you social Armor (as your organization can take the majority of the blow). Special types of characters, like dragonmarked characters or noble characters can have natural armor (natural by virtue of birth).

Organizations in Eberron are rather expansive. Here is a list of some of the Eberron Organizations: Wikipedia entry of Eberron Organizations.

Depending on one's standing within the organization would determine the armor rating it provides. Armor bonuses do not stack, so belonging to multiple organizations does not provide additional armor.

Like Dex is added to physical AC, Wis is added to Social AC (as it controls one's ability to sense an imminent attack). Much like armor that provides a high armor bonus, an organization that provides a high armor bonus is restrictive, limiting the amount of wisdom modifier you can add to your social AC.

If the concept of social combat seems like a needless complexity, perhaps you are right. Please help prove that by testing it out with me in this mission.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

While this does sound interesting, it seems like an awful lot to track that's outside the norm. How will this be doable using the sheet? You have to be able to use the sheet to run a PbP on this forum.

I've been spending time considering all these changes and I'm feeling it to be very complex, even though it does intrigue me in theory.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

I think I am going to create a base character sheet that will be used. You load the "base character", then add your own enhancements.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

shai-hulud wrote:I think I am going to create a base character sheet that will be used. You load the "base character", then add your own enhancements.
Well, I'm glad your the one doing it, as I would not want to. :lol:

I might be interested in trying this out though.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Here is the template character. I dunno if this is its final form, but it should do for now. If someone wants to be a race that is not available in the base character, that is not a problem. I can easily transfer the relevant information. Additionally, a class that is not one of the base 10 classes would need to be doctored a little, but nothing too extravagant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

For a little more about mission parameters:

Something weird has been going on. The mayor of Flamehorn has been calling together the townsfolk nearly on a daily basis, discussing portents of doom. These town meetings are rather odd, not only for the mayor's doom saying, but also for the content of his message. He frequently references the dangers of fire. The townsfolk are not terribly wealthy, and winter is fast approaching. The mayor has already put a lot of policies in place limiting the use of fire, even for cooking food and heating the home. How will the average citizens survive? House Ghallanda is furious at this development. How will their inns, the town's main source of income, continue drawing in pilgrims if they are unable to keep fires going?

BusyCowboy
BusyCowboy
BusyCowboy

Post by BusyCowboy »

Even though I am still reading up on what your talking about, it SOUNDS interesting, but like D stated, it seems like it would be kind of tricky to handle with the Social aspect. Either way though it would be fun to try so you can sign me up.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Well, I'll be introducing the idea of organizational loyalties. I will be tracking organizational ties and rank. Rank will have its privileges and bonuses will be granted for maintaining a high rank within one's organization.

Certain Eberron feats, notably the dragonmarked feats, will provide special bonuses for dragonmarked organizations. Additionally, based on character concept, I may offer additional feats/class options to grant additional organizational bonuses.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

I just need two more interested players. I'd be willing to run with as few as the two I have, even, should a fourth player not be forthcoming.

Return to “The Old Die [Old PbP news]”