The Adventure Begins

The city of Cauldron sits in the caldera of a dormant volcano. Life is good in Cauldron; the merchants are happy, the trade routes are unmolested. But lurking below the quiet city are a myriad of tunnels. Some are simply old lava tubes, some are far more sinister. The comfortable life in Cauldron is about to change.
Phoenik
BARON
BARON

Re: The Adventure Begins

Post by Phoenik » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:53 pm

And what about this 'Kerlen Ree' character... perhaps by letting us know who he runs around with or had connections to, you can make our lives a little easier. You make him sound like someone who was important Forin says as he nudges Kholuk with his elbow.
Image Tanda - Human Monk
Image Retem Omena - Half-Elf Bard

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Kholuk, surprisingly, gets the joke, HAW! Was im-portant! So long Potty-Mouth!

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:15 pm

Hmm--you say 2 children Rufus? We had heard that 4 children were taken--funny how rumors change as they travel! Is your mistress Jenya Urikas? She is the one we are seeking out this cheery night... What do you know of the divination spell she cast?

jennaver
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by jennaver » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:03 am

Sable sticks close by the cleric, listening to him closely. Along the way she asks "There was a woman on the roof tonite, an angry woman. Do you have any idea who she may have been to shout at these thugs like animals?" Are there many powerful females in this guild? Would you allow me to spend some time working with the children tomorrow to calm their fears?.....I'm sure your attention will be focused on healing and frankly your condition is not soothing to gaze upon....."
Image Sable, Female Half elven Bard
Image Sheen, Male Pixie Sorcerer

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:18 am

Kazz simply follows the others, quite dejected about not being able to set fire to more people.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

apwhite
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by apwhite » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:49 pm

Len wrote:Sir, just what do you know about these abductions? Perhaps there's something you could tell us that might help connect the dots? Why would that one woman give you such a message? Does it mean anything to you?
Not much really. They seem to be taken at night from their own homes. People of all ages and from all parts of town. Once they are taken, they are never heard from again. I did hear a rumon that Coryston Pike feared for her life days before she vanished. It seems like 30 pple have been abducted. I have also heard that the perpetrators pick the locks of the victims' dwellings.
Forin wrote:And what about this 'Kerlen Ree' character... perhaps by letting us know who he runs around with or had connections to, you can make our lives a little easier. You make him sound like someone who was important
That is a great concern. I hesitate telling you. Kerlen Ree is a member of the town guard. I know him. I never would have expected him to be part of the Last Laugh and certainly not the type to participate in kidnapping children. Do you see? If the town guard is involved, how deep does the corruption go? This is very troublesome.
Marius wrote:Hmm--you say 2 children Rufus? We had heard that 4 children were taken--funny how rumors change as they travel! Is your mistress Jenya Urikas? She is the one we are seeking out this cheery night... What do you know of the divination spell she cast?
Indeed, my applogies, Miss, it was 4 children; Deakon, Evelyn, Lucida, and Terrem. Two boys, two girls. The orphanage has two dormatories, one for boys, one for girls. Two children were taken from each room. No one saw or heard a thing.

Sable wrote:There was a woman on the roof tonite, an angry woman. Do you have any idea who she may have been to shout at these thugs like animals?" Are there many powerful females in this guild? Would you allow me to spend some time working with the children tomorrow to calm their fears?.....I'm sure your attention will be focused on healing and frankly your condition is not soothing to gaze upon.....
No, I don't know anything about their organization. As far as consoling the children, I will have to defer to Jenya. We work closely with the orphanage and provide material support, but it is autonomous and run by Gretchen Tashykk.

Eventually you make it to the church of St. Cuthbert. The two-story building is white with marble walls infused with veins of vivid blue. It stands in dark contrast to the buildings of bare black stone that flank it on the north end of Obsidian Avenue. A pair of white marble statues depicting armored warriors stands on either side of the temple's heavy oaken door. Each of the statues raises a great mace to the sky. Ave the door's marble architrave are boldly inscribed the following words "Within Law Lives Hope."

Rufus invites you in to meet with Jenya and to escape the rain. Upon entering the temple, Rufus is met by another alcolyte and taken to a far chamber. Meanwhile you are given warm blankets and invited to to dry off and enjoy some hot tea.

After several minutes, you are approached by a woman. She has premature streaks of gray in her rich brown hair, and wears a brown robe with golden trim and carries a symbol of St. Cuthbert. She introduces herself as Jenya Urikas, acting director of the temple. She thanks you for rendering aid to Rufus. She leads you into a quiet room with a large fire. She asks if you are able to stay long enough to hear a proposal.

After everyone is comfortable near the fire and fresh cups are tea are provided, Jenya relates the following: I have not given up hope for the Lantern Street Orphanage, despite this attack on Rufus. He told me of a message delivered by the female assailant. He told me that you have arrived with today's trade caravan. If you do not have immediate plans, perhaps the church can employ you to help find the children.

Each of you quietly sip your tea and listen to Jenya. Without really discussing it openly, you look to each other and half nod in agreement.

Jenya reads your body language and assumes that you are still interested. She goes on to say, The orphanage has barred windows and excellent locks protecting its doors. The children are locked into their rooms at night to prevent any midnight mischief. In the wake of the kidnappings, the Church of St. Cuthbert has publicly vowed to locate the missing children and bring the kidnappers to justice. If you return the four children alive the church will pay you 2,500gp. What do you say?

Sable leans forward, We heard a rumor of a divination spell. What clues were provided?

Cauldon is a small town, indeed. Yes, I used the Star of Justice to cast the spell. The high priest is allowed to use it once per week. In his absence, I felt justified in using it. We can only ask it one question. The question asked was "Where are the children who were abducted from the Lanter Street Orphanage?" The answer I received was a cryptic riddle. One moment, please. Jenya then stands and walks into an adjoining room. She returns a minute later with a scrap of paper. She hands it to Sable.

Upon the paper is written the riddle. Jenya rehearses the riddle to you as you read it aloud. The locks are key to finding them. Look beyond the curtain, below the cauldron. Beware the doors with teeth. Descend into the malachite 'hold, where precious life is bought with gold. Half a dwarf binds them, but not for long.

I believe that the first line of the riddle holds an important clue. I am uncertain which 'locks' the riddle refers to, but I suspect it referes to the locks at the Orphanage. Jenya raises her chin and asks, What say ye? Will you help?
OUT OF CHARACTER
Based on your roleplay with Jenya, we will have at least one more round here. You can stay and interact with Jenay as long as needed.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:28 pm

Kholuk is quite awestruck by the temple. As he approaches it, he mutters, Oh, pretty! White and shiny!

At Jenya's offer, Kholuk nods, Yeah! We help find poor little kiddies! He is quite sympathic to the plight of lost children, since he's basically one himself.

The riddle, of course, has him quite confounded. Half a dwarf? he mumbles, Not nice to cut dwarves in half! They don't like it.

jennaver
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by jennaver » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:35 pm

Looking to her companions Sable smiles and says I can't think of a better way to get started here in Cauldon....aggravate some bad guys, save some children ...... She winks at Marius and continues ...and maybe earn enough to settle down and find ways to stave off the boredom of a simple life Sable turns to the temple director and asks What do you make of this riddle Jenya? I've heard rumors of dungeons beneath the city, "under the Cauldron" and the riddle suggests that the entrance might be behind the curtain... do you know of something curtain like in town?

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:02 pm

I'll do what I can. You've made it all to attractive a proposal to even consider turning down. Lady Jenya, by any chance, is this the first abduction related to the orphanage? Have there been any abductions of men or women related to it, directly or indirectly? Do you feel that this is in connection with the other abductions that have also been reported throughout the city? After hearing her response, Len then asks, I'd like to know more about these locks at the orphanage. Who commissioned them and who is the locksmith? After a moment thought, he asks, Are the abductions usually in pairs, a male to each female?
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:05 pm

Marius says during the conversation...

...hmmm. Jenya, we're going to need to visit the Lantern Street Orphanage as soon as possible. Will you help arrange a meeting for us with the Director there?

Sable do you know of any songs or poems that refer to these things mentioned in the riddle? "BEYOND THE CURTAIN, BELOW THE CAULDRON. BEWARE THE DOORS WITH TEETH. DESCEND INTO THE MALACHITE 'HOLD, WHERE PRECIOUS LIFE IS BOUGHT WITH GOLD." This seems to refer to physical places that I assume are around this area?

Phoenik
BARON
BARON

Post by Phoenik » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:54 pm

I doubt it will be this simple, though I hope it will be, but may I actually inspect the locks? Perhaps I can derive a technique or method that was employed to open them.

After Jenya's response and allowing his gears to turn a bit, Forin interjects, with his thoughts moving from mind to mouth without filter ... would you know what Ruphus was doing in an alley in the middle of a stormy night?
Image Tanda - Human Monk

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:33 pm

Yes Forin--it would be very useful to determine whether the locks were picked or opened with their proper keys. I have no doubt there are only a few people who have keys to open them...

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:58 pm

Looking at Marius, Interesting, I recall myself saying something about looking into who made the locks. Brilliant idea Forin. Len shakes his head almost laughing to himself.
Image Image

Phoenik
BARON
BARON

Post by Phoenik » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:27 pm

Saying in a slight chuckle, Hey, I only asked to see them! It's not my fault I have adoring fans.
Image Tanda - Human Monk

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:42 am

I'm in. Kazz says simply. Should keep me occupied for a while.

apwhite
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by apwhite » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:28 pm

Sable wrote:Looking to her companions Sable smiles and says “I can't think of a better way to get started here in Cauldon....aggravate some bad guys, save some children ......” She winks at Marius and continues “...and maybe earn enough to settle down and find ways to stave off the boredom of a simple life” Sable turns to the temple director and asks “What do you make of this riddle Jenya? I've heard rumors of dungeons beneath the city, "under the Cauldron" and the riddle suggests that the entrance might be behind the curtain... do you know of something curtain like in town?”
I have considered that, Sable, we have no business in town called 'Curtain' and nothing of the sort. It is a real puzzle. We have thought of veils as well, and still have come up empty handed. My only guess is that the whatever we need is not within view.
Len wrote:“I'll do what I can. You've made it all to attractive a proposal to even consider turning down. Lady Jenya, by any chance, is this the first abduction related to the orphanage? Have there been any abductions of men or women related to it, directly or indirectly? Do you feel that this is in connection with the other abductions that have also been reported throughout the city?” After hearing her response, Len then asks, “I'd like to know more about these locks at the orphanage. Who commissioned them and who is the locksmith?” After a moment thought, he asks, “Are the abductions usually in pairs, a male to each female?”
I don't think anyone has looked at the list to establish a pattern. Males and females are abducted, human and non. It seems entirely random. I had a staff member read a copy of the list of abductees from Town Hall. I suggest you go there to see the list.
As far as the locks, I honestly don't know. Perhaps the best place to start would be at the orphanage. It seems like a good path for an investigation. There are a few locksmiths in town. The most recognized is Kegen Ghelve.

Marius wrote:“...hmmm. Jenya, we're going to need to visit the Lantern Street Orphanage as soon as possible. Will you help arrange a meeting for us with the Director there?”

“Sable do you know of any songs or poems that refer to these things mentioned in the riddle? "BEYOND THE CURTAIN, BELOW THE CAULDRON. BEWARE THE DOORS WITH TEETH. DESCEND INTO THE MALACHITE 'HOLD, WHERE PRECIOUS LIFE IS BOUGHT WITH GOLD." This seems to refer to physical places that I assume are around this area?”
The director is Gretchyn Tashykk. She has been a bit more cautious of strangers now. But here, take these potions with you. They may come in handy in case you run into trouble as did Rufus.
OUT OF CHARACTER
She hands each of you a potion of cure moderate wounds. The bottles have the symbol of St Cuthbert etched into the glass.

Sable does not recognize any elements of the riddle. Bardic Knowledge the riddle (1d20+5=24)
Forin wrote:After Jenya's response and allowing his gears to turn a bit, Forin interjects, with his thoughts moving from mind to mouth without filter “... would you know what Ruphus was doing in an alley in the middle of a stormy night?”
Rufus was consoling the children. They are quite frightened, as one would assume. They are orphans, having lost their family once. To lose these brothers and sisters makes them feel vulnerable.
OUT OF CHARACTER
You may stay and interact with her some more or you may leave the temple. It is getting pretty late and it's a good idea to seek a room. Minuta's Board will have room for you. It will cost about 1sp/day, but the place is a dive. The Drunken Morkoth Inn will also have room, it's more secure, but 3x as much money. It is unlikely that Gretchyn will allow you to enter the orphange this late at night. The children are asleep. Please update your inventory sheets to include 1 potion of CMW each. In your next post indicate if you are done here and ready to leave. Let me know where you would like to go.

Last edited by apwhite on Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Sorry, kipnap list can be obtained from the office of the Lord Mayor.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:11 pm

ImageLady Jenya, thank you for the potion and your time. We'll be taking our leave now. Perhaps to make things easier, might you be willing to meet us at the orphanage in the morning? Having a familiar face introducing us might put the children and the staff more at ease. We'll also be looking to read through this list and perhaps ask people who know these people on this list anything they may know about them during the days or week prior to their disappearance.
ImageLen then turns to the group. While we did plan in the morning to have a visit with someone else, I feel stopping at the orphanage first may work best and possibly give more information. I think there's a few of us hear that may agree that these lock might be what the riddle mentions.
ImageJust to make sure everyone is fully aware. As we head into this, investigating these abductions, we're bound to draw attention to ourselves. Me personally, I'm hoping we do. The more who try to stop us, the further we begin to open this up and the better a chance we catch someone alive to glean answers from. I'm sure some of us have useful methods for extracting information.

ImageBefore leaving, Len turns to the group, I say we take accommodations at the Drunken Morkoth. Those two thugs were nice enough to cover us for at least 6 nights a piece if my count is correct. Getting a good nights rest at a place with better security and more comfortable bedding may be worth it. What say all of you?
ImageLen turns back to Jenya, Lady Jenya, We'll do our best to keep you informed of what we find, but we may also return to ask you more questions, looking only for you to help us in what you can answer. Is there anyone else with questions? If not, I'm feeling tired. Len yawns.
Image Image

Phoenik
BARON
BARON

Post by Phoenik » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:46 am

Sounds good, but maybe we should collect a little more info before our morning engagement; I'd like to avoid an ambush being that one of the thugs was a town guardsman, and Skellerang is the captain.
Image Tanda - Human Monk

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:08 am

Hell, if I'm not paying for it, then I'm all for sleeping comfy. Kazz says, stifling a yawn. Er... Thanks for the potion, Miss.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:21 am

Phoenik wrote:Sounds good, but maybe we should collect a little more info before our morning engagement; I'd like to avoid an ambush being that one of the thugs was a town guardsman, and Skellerang is the captain.
If meaning that the captain may be involved also and now know we killed one of his men, it's likely we'll not know of this until after we meet with him. Len turns to Jenya, Lady Jenya, what do you know of this captain we're about to see tomorrow? If she knows of him, Len would then ask her, Would you know of him to be the type to be bribed? If she knows nothing of this captain or too little for what we wish to know he then returns to his team, If it turns out this captain is a shifty character then it could be likely we'll have drawn his attention. Most of us are new here, or haven't been here in a long time, so it could be possible that corruption may be the fabric that holds Cauldron together. Looking back at (Phoenik's character), Perhaps you may be on the right idea. First thing in the morning we try to learn all we can about this Skellerang person and his character and morals. If the people know him to be true and just, then odds may be in our favor. If they know of him as the type to be bribed or worse, well, I need not say more. I still feel we go to the orphanage first before seeing this Skellerang person. How say the rest of you?
Image Image

jennaver
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by jennaver » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:37 am

After thanking Lady Jenya for the potion she turns to Len and the others ...It makes no difference to me where we sleep as long as it is dry....the thought of safer quarters is appealing now that we may have targets on our foreheads. Lets stop in at the orphanage in the morning...I am hoping for an opportunity to spend a little bit of time with the children, soothing their fears, perhaps one of them saw or heard something useful. I would enjoy gathering information about the Captain. I am not expecting many positive comments based on the stories of corruption we have heard thus far.

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:27 pm

Marius says to Lady Jenya:
Thank you very much for these potions Lady Jenya, from the sounds of things we will be needing them. Are there any others working on this mission--a few of your clerics perhaps who we should be aware of as we are questioning people? The Clerics of St. Cuthbert aren't exactly known for standing by with such unjust actions going on :)

Marius to the group:
Sounds like we have a plan: Stay at the Drunken Morkoth; visit the orphanage first thing and then work on getting the list of missing persons and figuring out the character of our local government muscle.

Marius to Forin:
Forin, I would be surprised if we found trouble at the orphanage during the day hours--but if you are very concerned with this, I would be willing to look into things with you, either now or early in the morning before we go to the orphanage. I do think it would be unwise to split our group strength too much, given that we know at least some of the town guards and one group of performing clowns are not very happy with us. But we could at the least scout out the orphanage and immediate area... Please do allow someone to go with you though--doing this alone could be a very dangerous proposition.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:45 pm

Kholuk nods his agreement with every plan mentioned, even those that are contradictory. He's still busy puzzling out how half a dwarf could serve as an effective binding of any kind...

Return to “{PbP} The Shackled City [CLOSED]”