[ENDED][Arena][shai] Horris vs. Garret*

This section contain the actual Matches between gladiators.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

[ENDED][Arena][shai] Horris vs. Garret*

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:19 am

Zyss enters the announcer's booth and looks at the magical device used to speak. Umm, hello? There is a loud banging noise, followed by a loud screech as Zyss taps upon the device. Is this thing on? he asks, and the entire arena hears his bumbling. The arena manager quickly arrives and explains the workings of the booth to Zyss who picks up quickly.

Umm... Welcome arena fans! I'm your announcer, although this is my first time performing this task. I am sure you all remember the combatants. They are Horris and Garret. If the... umm... gladiators would make their way to the arena, we can... begin? Yeah. Begin.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Initiative and position, please

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Re: [Active][Arena][shai] Horris vs. Garret

Post by admin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:05 am

How can I help this project?Show
If you like my work, here are various ways to help out!
HOW do I SHARE my CHARACTERS?Show
Please take a moment to post your character .tos file in the Adventurers [User Created Characters]! This allows others to use your creation in their game, and for yourself, it makes for a secure backup for your .tos files! Feel free to add any background information, images and documents to accompany your Character. To create your .tos file, simply use "Save Character" on the Control worksheet!
Thanks!!
My Play-by-Post GamesShow
Image Morck: Half-orc/Sorcerer

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:27 am

Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:08 am

Zyss begins getting the feel for his announcer position, Well folks, Horris takes his starting position nearly in the center of the arena wall while Garret is positioned in the corner. I can feel the anticipation as the two combatants await my call for the match to begin...

After several awkward moments with both combatants glaring up to the announcer's booth, Zyss finally realizes the problem. Oh! That's me! Hahaha! Umm... Let the match begin!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:45 am

Horris moves to F7 (full single move) drawing and loading his bow at the same time. There he lets fly his arrow at Garret. Ranged Attack/Damage vs Garret (1d20+5=18, 1d8+4=9)
Image Image

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:47 pm

Garret casts his trademark spell on Horris (Sleep)

R

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:37 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Before we get too far along, I thought I'd give you the deciding vote Richard. It was said some time ago that flaws would be allowed and those who did not take them have the option to take them. I would like to take the murky-eyed flaw and week will flaw and in turn take skill focus concentration and point blank shot. These are feats and flaws I keep meaning to take but keep forgetting. I'll hold my post for your input. Shai is okay with me doing this, but asked I give you notice. I'm giving you more than that.

Image Image

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:46 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
[quote="Duniagdra"]Before we get too far along, I thought I'd give you the deciding vote Richard. It was said some time ago that flaws would be allowed and those who did not take them have the option to take them. I would like to take the murky-eyed flaw and week will flaw and in turn take skill focus concentration and point blank shot. These are feats and flaws I keep meaning to take but keep forgetting. I'll hold my post for your input. Shai is okay with me doing this, but asked I give you notice. I'm giving you more than that.[/quote]
What am I being asked exactly:
A) If you can change your Character right now?
B) If Flaws should be allowed for Gladiators?

A or B?

R

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:02 pm

I asked shai if I could add a flaw/feat now, murky-eyed/skill focus, as it has no prior match impact and weak will/point blank shot as that too has no prior match impact, and he was fine with this. He only said:
shai-hulud wrote:Up to you. I'd prefer to have flaws and feats granted outside of a match, but if you would really like to eke out a little extra, that's fine with me. Just let Richard know that he can add two flaws, should he desire, before this match progresses any further.
I'm leaving up to you. Murky-eyed forces me to roll twice vs concealment and weak will is -3 to will saves. Skill focus concentration gives me +3 to concentration and point blank shot is +1 to attack within 30'. Horris is not built to be a ranged combatant. So, if you wish, you can take two flaws and feats, which means you'll allow me to do the same. What you take can, if it does, adjust the result of what you do this current round. Or, you can say no, and I just go with what I have now and upload the update to my sheet anyhow. Shai said I could as long as I let you know you can take two flaws/feats as well. I'm giving you the option to say no. I would have done this already, prior to this match, but forgot and would like to add them. I'm asking you for a yes or no.

I'm asking before I roll my save as this will effect my save.
Image Image

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:25 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
I am not a big fan of flaws, because in most cases, a player will take a flaw that a the 'least' impact on his build, to give a feat to boost his concept even more.

Murky-Eyed is a good example of a flaw that has little impact (Statistically) on a character (how often do you really roll concealment....? I sure don't roll for that very often, but I could certainly use Dodge in most fight...!)

Flaws are generally bigger in magnitude than feats. This is simply not the case with Murky-Eyed - essentially giving you something for 'free'.

Flaws are optional rules - are they now being permitted in the Arena? Are all SRD optional rules considered "valid" for AoA?
if so, this should be spelled out clearly in the Rules

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:08 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Flaws were discussed and decided to be allowed. Your post does not answer the question. This discussion is limited to those involved in this match. Greg, I'm sorry, but I removed your post as you're jumping in on match discussion. Flaws have been approved for the arena. Richard, I'm not sure what you mean by other optional rules in the SRD, but here is not the place to discuss it.

Image Image

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:11 pm

Duniagdra wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Flaws were discussed and decided to be allowed. Your post does not answer the question. This discussion is limited to those involved in this match. Greg, I'm sorry, but I removed your post as you're jumping in on match discussion. Flaws have been approved for the arena. Richard, I'm not sure what you mean by other optional rules in the SRD, but here is not the place to discuss it.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Also, if you think the murky-eyed flaw to be so weak, I can instead take the reflex flaw. With spell casters that will be certain to come into play. A -3 on reflex and will saves. But keep in mind that spell casters can create situations where concealment does come into play, and for duration too. I see invisibility and fog as two I can think of right of the top of my head. I'll bet there are others.

Image Image

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:44 pm

Tell you what: I'll agree to your proposal of retroactively 'add' flaws/feats to our characters, BUT I would ask that the the whole fight be restarted to take any effects of those flaws/feats from the very beginning - while still keeping any d20 result we already rolled on Invisible Castle for the 'same' actions (example: If you decide to fire the bow again at the start, then you don't need to re-roll as you can take the 'existing' roll result, adjusted by the new feats/situation that may have arisen in the meantime. We would keep the same 'd20' results that we already rolled.)

Do you understand what I'm saying?

Is this acceptable to you?

Richard
P.S. I see where you are going with that +10 bonus to will save you want to have for your Warblade... for a 2nd level character/fighting class... I'm starting to understand the comments i read about the book of nine swords... You couldn't care less about Weak Will - a Flaw that is NOT a flaw thanks to your Moment of Perfect Mind ability, that will 'magically' give a +3 on Will Saves..... *sigh* I'd like to get a Flaw that would end up giving me a +3 to the DC of the Spells I cast... Well then, this is about 'testing', so let's test away!

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:45 am

admin wrote:Tell you what: I'll agree to your proposal of retroactively 'add' flaws/feats to our characters, BUT I would ask that the the whole fight be restarted to take any effects of those flaws/feats from the very beginning - while still keeping any d20 result we already rolled on Invisible Castle for the 'same' actions (example: If you decide to fire the bow again at the start, then you don't need to re-roll as you can take the 'existing' roll result, adjusted by the new feats/situation that may have arisen in the meantime. We would keep the same 'd20' results that we already rolled.)

Do you understand what I'm saying?

Is this acceptable to you?

Richard
P.S. I see where you are going with that +10 bonus to will save you want to have for your Warblade... for a 2nd level character/fighting class... I'm starting to understand the comments i read about the book of nine swords... You couldn't care less about Weak Will - a Flaw that is NOT a flaw thanks to your Moment of Perfect Mind ability, that will 'magically' give a +3 on Will Saves..... *sigh* I'd like to get a Flaw that would end up giving me a +3 to the DC of the Spells I cast... Well then, this is about 'testing', so let's test away!
I can't help but read this post feel nothing but anger and sarcasm and belittling, if I'm reading this as intended of course. I'm getting the impression you're somehow opting to take a personal offense at this.

I ask that you not treat me with disrespect, as this reply leaves me feeling. You wish to start this over, keeping all rolls as they are, fine. I still get initiative, I still move to where I move, but of course, I expect you'll no longer have the sleep spell to cast. Which is fine. You know my attack, which gives you overwhelming advantage over me. That's fine also. I've read your post several times talking to shai, and still it seems angry and sarcastic to me. But then it is only text. You're the only one Richard who can say otherwise. You have the upper hand on Horris.

Oh, the one thing you're forgetting about the warblade's save, it's only usable once every so many round. So, contrary to your remark about the flaw NOT being damaging, it actually is. Your sorcerer has sleep multiple times, but my "great save" is only every now and again. But I'm sure you must have over looked that when reading up on the warblade. Yes, the warblade can get his maneuvers back, with a full-round action, but the flaw has no effect during this time I guess. Let me be clear that I'm not trying to be mean or anything negative. I'm simply pointing out that this flaw does hurt Horris, maybe more than someone cares to see.
Image Image

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:07 pm

I am going away until Sunday or Monday. Please have your updated character files submitted to be by then.

Duni, I have already received yours. Richard, send the updated Garret whenever you have the opportunity.

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:54 pm

D - I am annoyed (and worried) about the survival of my Character :P

S - I'll try to update before you return, although I have an ugly-busy weekend in front of me :( (and I would be curious to know if Traits are allowed, as Flaws were)

R

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:26 pm

admin wrote:D - I am annoyed (and worried) about the survival of my Character :P

S - I'll try to update before you return, although I have an ugly-busy weekend in front of me :( (and I would be curious to know if Traits are allowed, as Flaws were)

R
Well, we can just as easily go on with the match as is. I left it up to you. No reason to get annoyed, I'm not trying to undermine any game or be sneaky. I did intend to do this prior to the match, in fact, prior to a couple of matches, but kept forgetting.

Yes, if flaws are being allowed, so would traits. But I'm not opting for traits, though there are two I'd like to have. >:)
Image Image

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:01 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Ready to proceed - I posted the updated .tos file for Garret in my school.
R

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:38 pm

Realized I forgot to add the Sergeant bonus +1 to one skill. Richard, did you add that to yours?

Find my updated file here.
Image Image

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:15 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
[quote="Duniagdra"]Realized I forgot to add the Sergeant bonus +1 to one skill. Richard, did you add that to yours?[/quote]
Yes I did when you pointed it out (I didn't remember that leveling gave such bonuses)

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:30 pm

So, I looked at the new character sheets. Horris is needing Maneuvers known. He may keep secret his maneuvers readied, however, his maneuvers known are set for his character (much as a sorcerer's spells are set). Therefore, somewhere, this should be indicated for his character.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:40 pm

shai-hulud wrote:So, I looked at the new character sheets. Horris is needing Maneuvers known. He may keep secret his maneuvers readied, however, his maneuvers known are set for his character (much as a sorcerer's spells are set). Therefore, somewhere, this should be indicated for his character.
true
Image Image

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:00 pm

Character updated in school, link above.
Image Image

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:05 pm

Is this going to resume?
Image Image

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:18 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Yes, with the character changes, Garret is now first.

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:51 am

Free action: moving to B18
Std Action: Cast SLEEP on Horris
Mvt Action: [PM sent to Judge]

R

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:01 am

Immediate Action: Counter Maneuver; Moment of Perfect Mind.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Go figure. Concentration Check for Will Save vs Sleep from Garret (1d20+11=12) A Friggin +11 and I get a frigging 1.

As Horris begins falling asleep you all hear him mumbling incoherently...
SpoilerShow
Pitiful coward you are Garret. You not a real gladiator. You're Just a pathetic sleep caster.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Edited by Judge (in red). Sleep doesn't let you get out one last insult, unfortunately :D Horris may well have wished to get that out, but he fell asleep instead of saying it.

Image Image

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:18 pm

Zyss tries to figure out what is going on, It appears that Horris is constipated... Oh, no, he is just meditating as he awaits the match's start. Let the match begin! As Horris snaps from his meditation, Garret begins casting a spell. We have seen this before, folks. If Horris cannot defeat this spell, it may be all over before it even began. Hmm... Horris is mumbling something and falling to the ground. I guess he has not succeeded against Garret's spell. So... Umm... Let's... see what Garret does next?

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:05 pm

Garret makes his way to the loudmouthed gladiator (rounds 2,3,4), practicing the spell casting of a spell he does not uses very often (i.e. He casts Mage Armor on himself while walking to the other side in round #2)

Round #5:
Arriving at F3 (10' from Horris), he stops and takes out a Wand

Round #6:
Check out this new toy, Horris! Garret says to the snoring man
Activating the wand, Garret starts to grow to a large version of himself!!!

Round #7:
Waving at the crowd from his new found height, Garret draws his Greatsword (which looks quote long in this new size!) and starts aiming for Horris's neck

Round #8:
Completing his Coup de Grace, Garrets lets his mighty Greatsword do the rest of the Job...
Dislodging Horris's head from his Body (x2 Critical Damage) (6d6+6=28)

EPILOGUE
Garret grabs the Head by the hair, and brings it up to his level.
You should NOT challenge me, dear Horris.... You are obviously are no match for me. Now, be a good little boy, and go get yourself healed back to one piece... Garret says, casually tossing the lifeless head in the dirt of The Arena and stepping on it while walking away to claim his prize money.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:14 pm

Zyss watches with anticipation, Well folks, if you were looking for gore, Garret has provided it for you! Will you look at that! A blow like that is sure to wake a man up, wouldn't you think? Let's get a commentary from Horris. Doing a Horris impersonation, Zyss adds, Nobody expects such a sharp imposition!

Garret receives 2 VP and 600gp
Horris receives 1 VP and 100gp
Zyss receives 200gp

Return to “{PbP} AoA: Matches”