Poll Action Points

Believe in Shar, the goddess of those who have lost everything and who wish revenge. The League of Ultimate Evil will rule the land in the future. Evil is not defined as killing one, but to rule them all. This is the gift of Shar ....

Do you want to use Action Points?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:54 pm

YES, I want to use Action Points
80%
NO, I do not want Action Points
20%

Total votes: 5

Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Poll Action Points

Post by Dink » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:54 pm

Do you want to use action points as described here
Last edited by Duniagdra on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed from Global to just Announcement. D
Image Dungeon Master (2)

BINGO DICE on Kickstarter

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: Poll Action Points

Post by Duniagdra » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:58 pm

I like action points, because they add a new element to the game. Just remember that action points go both ways. If players are allowed AP, then the baddies get them too. typically it's the bosses and they get two AP's they can spend, but following the same rules as PC's. However, I'm not hung on AP's. A game is just as good without them, but I voted yes anyhow.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

JTStorm
Soldier
Soldier

Post by JTStorm » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:16 pm

I don't personally use them, so I voted no. But since you can hide them on the sheet, they don't bother me being on there.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:20 pm

This poll was set to a global announcement. This means it appears in every forum. Dink, you might want to change it to a normal announcement for your forum only.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:23 pm

JTStorm wrote:I don't personally use them, so I voted no. But since you can hide them on the sheet, they don't bother me being on there.
JT, Are you playing in League of Ultimate Evil? If not, then you should not be voting. This pole was for players in a PbP. Dink just didn't specify this and somehow made this a global poll instead of a forum poll. Dink, I made the change for you so other's don't get confused, but you'll need to reset the poll as I don't believe JT is in this game. I looked and did not find him in the thread currently open.
Image Image

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:16 am

Duniagdra wrote:Just remember that action points go both ways. If players are allowed AP, then the baddies get them too. typically it's the bosses and they get two AP's they can spend, but following the same rules as PC's.
Consider this:
When you want to use an action point, you MUST declare it BEFORE the result of the roll is known!
When you spend 1 action point to improve a d20 roll, you add the result of a 1d6 to your d20 roll (including attack rolls, saves, checks, or any other roll of a d20) to help you meet or exceed the target number. You can declare the use of 1 action point to alter a d20 roll after the roll is made, but only before the GM reveals the result of that roll. You can’t use an action point to alter the result of a d20 roll when you are taking 10 or taking 20.
This (in red) is what makes Action Points touchy for NPCs....
The DMs KNOW all the DCs needed for their saves (and he knows all your Armor Classes :P). Hence, my personal opinion is to leave the APs to "real" players to have fun with, and not NPCs....

Richard

Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Dink » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:30 am

admin wrote:This (in red) is what makes Action Points touchy for NPCs....
The DMs KNOW all the DCs needed for their saves (and he knows all your Armor Classes :P). Hence, my personal opinion is to leave the APs to "real" players to have fun with, and not NPCs....

Richard
All too true.
But first of all Bosses are no real NPCs and second, Action Points are meant to give more variety and not more dead PCs.
Image Dungeon Master (2)

BINGO DICE on Kickstarter

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:32 am

For me, an NPC is a character controlled by the Game Master as opposed to a character controlled by a Player.

R

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:33 am

admin wrote:The DMs KNOW all the DCs needed for their saves (and he knows all your Armor Classes :P). Hence, my personal opinion is to leave the APs to "real" players to have fun with, and not NPCs....

Richard
Your concern is? So if I used an action point in my game you would object to because I know the target value I need? What's your point here. A boss type foe would only be allowed two AP's as is defined in the AP Rules. There are many ways to use them. No, if players are able to use them, then so are the Boss Types. I just haven't used them yet, but I will, when I need to. Just because know the target needed means little. A player who sees that an Attack 16 hits a creature, but a 15 missed and he rolled a 14 already knows the target value needed. If he used an AP what's the difference. The DM didn't tell him the result of the roll, he knew from previous rolls that succeeded and failed.
Image Image

Return to “{PbP} League of Ultimate Evil [ENDED]”