[Ideas] Random Fight + Weapon/Armor Racks

This contains all rules related to the Arena of Ages.
You can also post rules suggestions, ideas and propositions in here!
admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

[Ideas] Random Fight + Weapon/Armor Racks

Post by admin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:54 pm

I've had a couple of ideas, and wanted to write them down before I forgot...

Random Fights: Perhaps it would be interesting if there was a mechanism that would allow a DM to "call upon" the Gladiator pool to start a new fight in an Arena of his choosing... Preliminary Example: DM opens a new thread and asks for available combatants, who have 5 days to indicate their availability (if you're on vacation, you're sure to be away!). Once that time is up, if enough Gladiators are available, the DM then either randomly draws two from the lot and start his game - or makes a 2vs2 (or more!) brawl!! (or the "last man standing", with or without Lions & Tigers!) The DM sets up the Arena AS HE SEES FIT (he can add conditions to make the fight more interesting - for instance, leave 3 potions of cure lying at specified locations, or play the arena in shadow (20% miss chance)) That game then proceeds with the rules

Weapon/Armor Racks: In the 'real' world of Gladiators, the men & women who fought in the Arenas did NOT necessarily own their equipment: They were either given a weapon and told to fight - OR could select their weapon from the weapon Rack... I suspect that this weapon rack might have different "load outs" of weapons, depending on the mood of the Organizers. For example, it could only contain daggers! Or perhaps, only crossbows... Or perhaps yet again, a weird array of exotic weapons nobody ever uses!!! Would this not make for more interesting fights? That the gladiator does NOT always wield the weapon for which he has weapon focus, weapon specialization, weapon this and weapon that? Nor would he have the "best" armor for himself... How about that the GP he 'has' can be used ENCHANT temporarily the weapon/armor he will be wearing in a fight? For example (change the numbers as you see fit), he could spend 100GP to get a +1 to Armor for 1 fight or 300 GP to get a +2 weapon bonus to one fight... Would that be interesting? This, to me, sounds a LOT more like a 'real' Arena - and not a PC vs PC dungeon & dragon fight like it currently does.

For themselves, Gladiator fight to win/survive ... For the Spectators, Gladiators fight for the SHOW!!

Richard

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Re: Ideas: Random Fight + Weapon/Armor Racks

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:09 pm

DnD is inherently going to have DnD fights. I mean, no matter how you slice it, the monk is always going to need less equipment than the fighter. If someone makes a monk, he can say, "No armor for me. And I don't need your weapons, either, thanks." The mage can say, "Yeah, I don't really use weapons, either. Taste fireball, you bastards!" The druid can wild shape into a bear and say, "RAWWWWRRRR!" Real life gladiator fights didn't include magic. Ones that do... are a bit more tricky to handle :P. In general, I think no matter what we do (other than ban magic and psionics), it is always going to be PC vs PC dungeons and dragons fights.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:22 pm

shai-hulud wrote:DnD is inherently going to have DnD fights. I mean, no matter how you slice it, the monk is always going to need less equipment than the fighter. If someone makes a monk, he can say, "No armor for me. And I don't need your weapons, either, thanks." The mage can say, "Yeah, I don't really use weapons, either. Taste fireball, you bastards!" The druid can wild shape into a bear and say, "RAWWWWRRRR!" Real life gladiator fights didn't include magic. Ones that do... are a bit more tricky to handle :P. In general, I think no matter what we do (other than ban magic and psionics), it is always going to be PC vs PC dungeons and dragons fights.
Have you considered that a Monk who is wearing armor will actually be penalized?
Having an Armor Rack means that you HAVE to pick one of these NICE suits of 'decorative' armor.. :D
It would be easy to setup random table for such decisions...

But you misunderstand my suggestion - which is not about "balance" but about "Show"... Oh well...
R

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:12 pm

I think that I do understand, but magic definitely alters things. The mage who puts on all of that heavy armor, yeah it will mess with his spells, but if he gets off the right one (like Transformation), the match becomes nothing more than a DnD PvP fight.

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:21 pm

shai-hulud wrote:I think that I do understand, but magic definitely alters things. The mage who puts on all of that heavy armor, yeah it will mess with his spells, but if he gets off the right one (like Transformation), the match becomes nothing more than a DnD PvP fight.
Well, if it becomes impossible to really have an ARENA/Gladiator like PbP, then we might as well rename this whole section "PvP"...

Here is another idea to consider: Make 3 categories of Characters, based on their Base Attack Bonus:
Good BAB
Medium BAB
Poor BAB

A school could then have 3 Characters, one for each "PC category" and 1vs1 fights could occur between members of the SAME category.
Brawls (2vs2, 3vs3 or other combo) could then occur, with a wide variety of Character capabilities...

RIchard
P.S. Instead of just trying to find a 'flaw' in an idea, try to suggest a solution to such flaw? That would be more helpful... :P

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:42 pm

admin wrote:P.S. Instead of just trying to find a 'flaw' in an idea, try to suggest a solution to such flaw? That would be more helpful... :P
Haha, that's if I think it is a flaw. I don't see anything wrong with your ideas. I just don't know as it will have the effect you desire. I still think this is gonna be fun regardless. If your ideas do produce the effects you want, great, but I'm not worried about that. Since I don't see it as a flaw, I don't have a solution to add, either.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:25 pm

we could do both. Some arenas would be prefitted with weapons that none are proficient in, and the rest the champion would use their own weapons.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

scantrontb
scantrontb
scantrontb

Re: [Ideas] Random Fight + Weapon/Armor Racks

Post by scantrontb » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:43 pm

admin wrote:Weapon/Armor Racks: In the 'real' world of Gladiators, the men & women who fought in the Arenas did NOT necessarily own their equipment: They were either given a weapon and told to fight - OR could select their weapon from the weapon Rack... I suspect that this weapon rack might have different "load outs" of weapons, depending on the mood of the Organizers. For example, it could only contain daggers! Or perhaps, only crossbows... Or perhaps yet again, a weird array of exotic weapons nobody ever uses!!! Would this not make for more interesting fights? That the gladiator does NOT always wield the weapon for which he has weapon focus, weapon specialization, weapon this and weapon that? Nor would he have the "best" armor for himself...
AH!, the old 'Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome' setup...

here's a twist on that which would work really well for the fighter-types but not so much for the MU and PSI types, but... how about if the gladiators get zapped into the arena totally unarmored/ no weapons, etc in addition to the already no magic/psionics thing and they not only have to survive long enough to GET to their (RANDOMLY /DM PLACED) stuff and put it ON, but also to finish off the opponent as well? then you could have some interesting quandaries for tank-like PC's... "hmmm do i spend 10 minutes putting on my armor (once i FIND the blasted stuff), just to get the ac or do i go like i am in my street clothes and risk getting hit really quick /hard?... and can i do it BEFORE the other guy?"

one flaw i see right off that i have yet to figure out a solution to, is the wizard and monk problems: the monk IS his weapons and armor so this is a useless quibble, he'd have a huge advantage over somebody like a Paladin with his full plate armor... and a wizard basically already starts that way normally right? i mean he doesn't carry his spell book and have to spend the time to re-memorize his starting spells DURING the battle, and he starts off with no magic activated so again no big deal unless he's got magic items, which at that point it becomes just a little bit more important to him to get them first before the other guys do... >:) but once he does finds them, putting on a necklace of fireballs and cloak of protection +5 doesn't take all that long compared to that studded leather, huh?

Return to “{PbP} AoA: Rules & Regulations”