[idea] Forcing PvP combat?

This contains all rules related to the Arena of Ages.
You can also post rules suggestions, ideas and propositions in here!
admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

[idea] Forcing PvP combat?

Post by admin » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:43 am

The Arena was 'designed' primarily for Player versus Player combat - but I had someone comment in Chat that this was the Exact reason WHY this person was not participating...

Is the Arena missing out on people because of PvP? Would there be MORE people participating in the Arena if they were NOT forced to do PvP?

Would there be a way to ALLOW those who do NOT want to do PvP to still participate? That Gladiatorial fight that Shai is organizing versus a pride of LIONS would indicate that it WOULD be possible to allow those who don't care for PvP to still participate in the Arena...

I think it would be nice if the rules of the Arena would ALLOW those who want to play only those "versus Monsters" matches to participate, while letting them avoid the PvP aspects...

So perhaps something can be figured out to allow this??
(Currently the "challenge system" makes this impossible...)

Richard

PowerRongeur
BARON
BARON

Re: [idea] Forcing PvP combat?

Post by PowerRongeur » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:58 am

Honestly, the arena was designed PvP. If people want only to fight random monsters, there's plenty of online games. Might I suggest Dragon Tavern. I don't think we sould make it a "gladiators vs monsters" place.

That being said, it would be easy to make it a PvE. You would have to make a list of monsters available on each level gladiators can challenge OR a random encounter table for each level where gladiators ask for a monster fight and we roll to see what he's facing.

One thing for sure, you'll have to reward the judge who plays the monster too.
Famous Last Words: "No more healing? Let's go in anyways!"

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:48 pm

As of now, there is only the PvP because there has not been my talk or planning made to implement PvE or even team missions.

A PvE match could be easily done if a chart of randomly generated enemies could be made and tokens with stats be supplied.

For the missions, it could be like mini campaigns. Nothing more to elaborate on this. A kind of DM in Training type of thing really. Something to give anyone not sure more confidence by seeing on a small scale how easy running a campaign can be in PbP, time wise. There is work involved in running a campaign, but in PbP, you have time on your side to build it and prepare for what would happen next.

I'm open to suggestions.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

Twiglet
BARON
BARON

Post by Twiglet » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:16 pm

First, Thank you Richard for bringing this up. I am the one who said I wasn't interested in Arena because it was PvP. The reason is that I play to roll play and am not that interested in trying to come up with power builds. Having a non-trivial story line is important to me as is the teamwork and cooperation needed to beat the bad guys. It sounds like Arena is intended to be a tournament type campaign and that is fine for those who like it. It just isn't why I play. If the PvE involves groups of players playing against monsters then bring it on :-)
Twiglet
Image Anna Conda Human cleric
Image Elisandra Half Elf cleric
Image Branch Half Elf ranger
Image Artemis Half Elf paladin

Return to “{PbP} AoA: Rules & Regulations”