New PbP: World's Largest Dungeon [CLOSED]

Many millennia ago, the Celestials built a great prison within the Planet of Golarion. The prison warded off those who would enter, and also walled in and magically trapped those who would escape. Within it the Celestials imprisoned hellish Undead, demonic beasts, and fiendish monstrosities. Now these beasts are breaking out with a serious chip on their shoulders. The gods believe you can stop them.................do you?
cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

New PbP: World's Largest Dungeon [CLOSED]

Post by cave_lion » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:20 am

PbP FORM
Title: World's Largest Dungeon (WLD)
Brief description: A simple Dungeon Crawl that lasts longer than the time it takes to get to the center of a dragon roll pop. Lots of blood (in many different colors). Not so much interpretive dance. The campaign will be modified to incorporate the Pathfinder Chronicles.
Rule System: Pathfinder and Pathfinder Chronicles. We will use Invisible Castle (Campaign Name = TWLD) for rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/accounts/login/?next=/.
Validation Frequency: No set schedule--but I tend to go more rather than less so this will be an active campaign with frequent posts.
Min/Max Number of Players: (4-7) x 2 (so that would be up to 14 people)
Start Date: As soon as we have ToS 3.0
Source Books Allowed: Any (including 3.5 as adapted for Pathfinder)
Classes and Races Allowed: Any (including 3.5 as adapted for Pathfinder)
Starting Level of PCs: 1st
Stats Generation: Initial Abilities: use Invisible Castle ("roll dice" not "stats roller"): 4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) rolled 7 times (drop lowest). For those worried about getting high roles--don't be. One of the things I want to do with this campaign is test run high stat characters to see the effects with the Pathfinder rules. I purposefully gave one of the "easy" stat role setups just for this purpose--so role away, good luck and no worries--there will be plenty of opportunities for me to level down players stats if I feel it is necessary to balance game play. Hit Points will be maxed for 1st level.
Starting Equipment/Wealth: Use table 6-1 on page 140 in the CRB (Pathfinder Core Rule Book). There are also Feats, and Traits that modify this. If you don't have the CRB go here. I will also be adding some things once I know everyone's race, class and background choices.
Background Information: Playing a Druid would not be the best decision to make. Because of the nature of the Dungeon (it was built to imprison high level Undead and Demons) summoning spells are not a good idea either (because anything summoned will not be able to return from whence it came--and will blame you for that little problem.) Wizards have a bit of a limitation in that new spells will only be available from found scrolls--so choosing a very specialized Wizard is going to lead to a lack of appropriate spells as levels increase.) Sorcerers and other spell casters are not limited in this way since they gain spells in various "supernatural" ways.
Pathfinder "Character Traits" are accepted. As are Quirks: add 5 quirks to your character and gain a bonus! Quirks are minor character flaws or role playing concepts that do not affect game play statistically (no +1 for this or that.) They are strictly for flavor. The beginning bonus for implementing them is just a way for me to pre-award players for this aspect of game play. The bonus can be +1 to one starting ability (Str, Wis, etc.), or something else--like an extra feat perhaps or a bit of rare blood for some extra talent (not items.) Here are some lists you can pull ideas from: http://patyrsun.tripod.com/GURPS-3.html http://www.codepoet.org/~markw/gurps/player/quirks.html
Background is not so important--given that you will not be visiting home or seeing anyone you know for quite some time. I would like a (very) basic back story. I am going to tie everyone in each campaign together by storyline, so any ideas you have for character concept will help me do this as realistically as possible. Especially useful would be basic type of upraising (farmer/city/etc); religious inclinations; reason for choice of Class; and any professions or Crafts you plan on taking...
Tokens: please provide a picture representing your character--so I can make the tokens we will be using in the maps. I know many of you are experienced with making these tokens, but I would prefer to make the tokens myself so I can use a consistent border for all players..
End Conditions: See below
About ME: Started gaming in 1979. Hey-I had to do something after the death of Disco. I am an artist and a philosopher. And an all around handyman kind of guy. Raised on a farm in the middle of the USA. And after a few years of discovery back again in the middle of this field (with a computer plugged in at my side.)
Notes: This is a test run for me. I actually have a high level/complex game that I've wanted to run for quite awhile that I haven't had time to do--but am thinking that the combination of Maptool; Richard's excellent ToS; and the PbP format will allow me to attempt it. So I will use the WLD campaign to get comfortable with the Pathfinder rules and experiment with a few things. This campaign is essentially 14 different dungeons all connected together--so there are many logical points to stop it or continue on as desired.
Recommended skills: Keep in mind this entire campaign will be in a Dungeon when you pick your skills. Here is a quote from TWLD about their recommended (3.5 version) skills: “Here are a list of skills that we generally believe you'll need high marks in to survive this dungeon. Balance, Concentration (if you're a spellcaster), Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disable Device (easily the most important skill), Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock (the second most important skill), Search, Speak Language (Undercommon, Goblin, Draconic, and Celestial are a good start), Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim (depending on the route they take), Tumble, and Use Rope. The following skills should help the PCs (in general), survive the Dungeon in style. Craft (blacksmith, etc.) . For repairing damaged weapons and armor during the party's 2 year stint underground. Handle Animal. For staring down wolves, taming stray pets, and dealing with DMs. Sense Motive. Goblins lie, but it's important for players to know how much is truth and how much is imagination. Use Magic Device. Maybe not necessary, but it helps. Skills like Disguise, Forgery, Gather Information, Perform, Profession, Ride, and Sleight of Hand are more suited for the World's Largest City and have little to no use in this product.”
Bardic lore isn't going to be much use in this campaign ("No, I don't know any songs about demon princes banished to the Abyss for slaying every living fire elf. I've never even heard of fire elves. Can I just sing my song now, please?") I will have something in each campaign that will assist Bards in providing the knowledge they so love to share...
Signature: Respect
Last edited by cave_lion on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:04 am, edited 18 times in total.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: New PbP: World's Largest Dungeon [Checking Interest]

Post by Duniagdra » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:00 am

Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:20 am

I've wanted to check out the world's largest dungeon for a while. Count me in.

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:48 pm

Same here, I have wanted to play this for a while. Count me in too

tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE

Post by tdsprouse » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:24 pm

I'll play if there's room

I'll consider a few things and post a thought or two on a PC within the next day or so.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:45 pm

Yeah, count me in for sure.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: New PbP: World's Largest Dungeon [RECRUITING/Pending PFRPG]

Post by cave_lion » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:49 pm

OK--that is enough interest for me to commit to the game, with room for a few more to add if anyone else wants to join in. I have a bit of work to do figuring out Maptool--but that shouldn't take too long--I already have found the scanned maps for WLD so it will just be a matter of scaling them and figuring out how to post them properly. Everyone can take your time working on characters--earliest start date is a couple of weeks down the road and that is dependent on ToS 3.0 being released--which could be longer than that (no pressure Richard.) You can post .tos files here or with pm...

anybody see my whip lately? And those eyelid stretchers? I gotta take a quick trip to Canada...

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Forgot to mention--we will use Invisible Castle for rolls
Use Campaign name: TWLD

http://invisiblecastle.com/accounts/login/?next=/

edited name to get one unused
Last edited by cave_lion on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:15 am

skills list incorporated into first post...
Last edited by cave_lion on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gondolin1
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by gondolin1 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:27 am

World's Largest Dungeon! In PbP!?! Wow! You are my kind of crazy! I applaud you efforts in this...... I own it and know how much work is involved.

Regards,
Smash the Barbarian says : Save our trees, eat beavers...!

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:01 am

I would love to play in this game. I'll work out a character and get back to you. It might be a little while before i can post a file though.

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 am

ok to delete
Last edited by cave_lion on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LinusMundane
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by LinusMundane » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:46 pm

If you still have room, i would be down. My DM always threatened us with this but never really came through so I have been itching to do it for a while.
Image Glugglug; Orcish Paladin of Tyranny
Image Bone Crushnsmash; Fighter of the Bloodthirst School
Image Collin; Monk
Image Nani; Rogue
Image Dwanthor; Hill Dwarf Warlock

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:30 pm

ok to delete
Last edited by cave_lion on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Re: New PbP: World's Largest Dungeon [FULL/Pending PFRPG]

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:30 pm

Where does one find Quirks? Are they up to us to create? Or are they enumerated somewhere?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:36 pm

In case it makes a difference to anyone else, I was thinking of playing a Sorcerer. Not sure on race yet
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:54 pm

Quirks are a GURP's thing (to name one rpg game that uses them.) I present the ability to use them here just because I really like the way they provide a base to begin roleplaying. These are things that don't affect game play statistically (no +1 for this or that.) They are strictly for flavor.

The beginning bonus for implementing them is just a way for me to pre-award players for this aspect of game play. The +1 to a starting ability is not written in stone--if there is something else that someone would like to see for their character--an extra feat perhaps or a bit of rare blood for some extra talent...

Here are some lists you can pull ideas from:

http://patyrsun.tripod.com/GURPS-3.html

http://www.codepoet.org/~markw/gurps/player/quirks.html

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:16 pm

Richard has suggested that I leave this game open for a bit in case any newer players may be interested in trying out PbP (those who are not already playing multiple PbP's here.) Which seems like a nice gesture--so I will do that until we have a definite time frame for the game to begin. Since this is going to be a Pathfinder game--the official 3.0 release has to happen before we can start anyway--which may be a ways off.

So what I'm saying is--if you are already playing a bunch of games--don't put too much effort into making characters yet and lets see if we can get some new blood into the mix. I hate to say--you're in "unless"--but hopefully if someone new does come along--one of you would be willing to step down and give them your slot?

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:43 pm

Though it's likely that i'm in more games than anyone else, I'll have to say that I've been looking to play this since it was first printed. I'll not be giving up my slot, and I'm not sorry to this.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:06 pm

forthright as usual duni :-)

Everyone keep in mind--at this point--this isn't actually a problem since we have 9 slots and 9 interested players.

If new people do express interest and no-one wants to give up their slot I would have to accept that at this point (since I already gave everyone involved a slot).

We can always set up an arena match to settle things Mano-a-Mano :-) That might be fun...

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:33 pm

I will update the player list (will be at or near the end of this thread) as I find out what people are planning on playing--please refer to it as you are considering your character selection.
Last edited by cave_lion on Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:11 am

cave_lion wrote:Everyone keep in mind--at this point--this isn't actually a problem since we have 9 slots and 9 interested players.
If new people do express interest and no-one wants to give up their slot I would have to accept that at this point (since I already gave everyone involved a slot).
We can always set up an arena match to settle things Mano-a-Mano :-) That might be fun...
It has been known that people with "few/no" PbP have priority over those who are lucky enough to be in many PbP...!! I have always asked that of PbP DMs...

So should any other player wish to join, then I would hope the 'very active' users would step down...

Richard

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:15 pm

I am in several PbP games already, and although I have had my eye on a WLD game, I would more then willingly give up my slot to a new player wishing to join.

LinusMundane
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by LinusMundane » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:52 pm

I will be making up a rogue, not sure on race, though either halfling or rogue.

Also, I am only in one game at the moment.
Image Glugglug; Orcish Paladin of Tyranny
Image Bone Crushnsmash; Fighter of the Bloodthirst School
Image Collin; Monk
Image Nani; Rogue
Image Dwanthor; Hill Dwarf Warlock

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:00 am

I'm thinking about a half orc. I think maybe a paladin.

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by scarymike23 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:06 pm

I've never done PbP before and would love to try it. I'm familiar with pathfinder, as that is what my live gaming group plays.

If there is room, I'd love to play. I'm willing to play just about any class, but would probably go paladin or monk if Melee was needed, and cleric if healing is low. With such a large group, I can imagine a bard would make a good choice as well. I'm flexible.
-SM

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by scarymike23 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:14 pm

cave_lion wrote:Forgot to mention--we will use Invisible Castle for rolls
Use Campaign name: TWLD

http://invisiblecastle.com/accounts/login/?next=/

edited name to get one unused
Stats Generation: 4d6 rolled 7 times / drop lowest set / use highest 3 for stats / reroll 1's

Can somebody help with the formula required for this? I see that Duniagdra did this: 4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3), and I assume that is correct, but I'd love to have some verification as I've never used this site.
-SM

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 pm

scarymike23 wrote:Stats Generation: 4d6 rolled 7 times / drop lowest set / use highest 3 for stats / reroll 1's

Can somebody help with the formula required for this? I see that Duniagdra did this: 4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3), and I assume that is correct, but I'd love to have some verification as I've never used this site.
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) seems correct to me. Don't forget to place a "7" in the number of Rolls! (you can drop the lowest value)
If you wish to test out Invisible castle, try "Test" in the Character Name, and see the results (I hope these 'tests' result won't be too good! lol)

Richard

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by scarymike23 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:32 pm

admin wrote:
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) seems correct to me. Don't forget to place a "7" in the number of Rolls! (you can drop the lowest value)
If you wish to test out Invisible castle, try "Test" in the Character Name, and see the results (I hope these 'tests' result won't be too good! lol)

Richard
Thanks. I get it now. I was trying to use the "stats roller" instead of the "roll dice" which was forcing some kind of ironman mode, and wouldn't let me roll 7 sets. I did a test run (with char name test), but will wait to see if I am even in this campaign to do a real roll.

Edit: Here are my rolled stats just for record keeping:
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [6,6,3] = (15)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [6,5,4] = (15)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [6,6,2] = (14)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [5,3,2] = (10)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [5,4,2] = (11)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [6,5,5] = (16)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [6,5,5] = (16)

Dropping the 10 of course.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2255513/

Still debating what to play.
Last edited by scarymike23 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-SM

tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE

Post by tdsprouse » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:12 pm

Sorry for not checking in, I've got to bow out of this one. I'll follow along reading though, it looks interesting.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

Return to “{PbP} The World's Largest Dungeon [CLOSED]{Pathfinder}”