New PbP: World's Largest Dungeon [CLOSED]

Many millennia ago, the Celestials built a great prison within the Planet of Golarion. The prison warded off those who would enter, and also walled in and magically trapped those who would escape. Within it the Celestials imprisoned hellish Undead, demonic beasts, and fiendish monstrosities. Now these beasts are breaking out with a serious chip on their shoulders. The gods believe you can stop them.................do you?
cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: New PbP: World's Largest Dungeon [RECRUITING/Pending PFRPG]

Post by cave_lion » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:01 pm

Let's make this easier...
I'm thinking I will just start two separate (but identical--at least to start) games. Looks like there is more than enough interest and it shouldn't be too much harder to run two of the same game--may even be easier in many ways to have a smaller number of players to coordinate. I was really hoping for 5 or 6 players initially--so everyone interested just throw in your chip (meaning just what race/class you would like to play) and once we get closer to opening the game I will sort through everyone and see where things are. It would be very interesting I think to run the same game twice (at the same time) and see how things diverge over time...

edit: moved player list to end of post
Last edited by cave_lion on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:26 pm

I'm willing to play whatever class is needed to round out one of the parties.

apwhite
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by apwhite » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:44 pm

Duniagdra wrote:Though it's likely that i'm in more games than anyone else, I'll have to say that I've been looking to play this since it was first printed. I'll not be giving up my slot, and I'm not sorry to this.
Duni must be from Jersey.

apwhite
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by apwhite » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:52 pm

Cave-Lion-

Might be a good idea to check out rptools.net in the forum and see if anyone has already marked up the maps. It would surprise me if no one has done this already. It could save you a ton of time. As near as I can tell, I am the only one to mark up and post SCAP in maptool. I made sure I pasted links all over for others who follow. It's rough having to redo all that work.

Let me know if you need any help getting started with maptool. It can be a great resource and tool.

I won't be vying for a spot in this dungeon. I hope for to noobs join, though. Great job.

APWhite

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:55 pm

Some Expanded Information about this Campaign

In case you were wondering--I am looking at Pathfinder as living up to it's "backwards compatible" moniker. Which means when I say "any" under Sourcebooks, Classes, and Races allowed; I mean "any" from 3.5 as well. With the caveat that you must understand; I have no idea how to create custom anythings in TOS--so it would be up to you to provide that compatibility and provide the proper sheet implemented Character. Much of that work is already done apparently, if you know where to look in the TOS forum.

I will require changes based on the Pathfinder rules--skill points/feats/etc would all need to be adapted, for example. The only Classes I would take pause with would be the Psionic ones--only because I haven't played with those rules for a very long time. But I am a quick study and if someone had their heart set on a Psion I could be talked into it--be aware that this would force me to adapt some of the story line and random encounter charts to provide a sufficient challenge to the Psionic Character. And you probably don't want to go there :-) I am not even sure if the 3.5 Psionic rules could be used with Pathfinder? So, unless you have a talent and the time to create your own, that may be a dead issue anyway until the inevitable supplement becomes available.

I will, of necessity be using 3.5 modified creatures in many instances--at least until the Bestiary is available. We will play a slightly modified version of The World's Largest Dungeon--because I want to start incorporating the Pathfinder Campaign Setting into it. So any references to the World above (and maybe below) the Dungeon will be based on the Golarion world and the Gods and Creatures from this setting (or related Planes).

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:10 pm

cave_lion wrote:I will require changes based on the Pathfinder rules--skill points/feats/etc would all need to be adapted, for example.
This thread has the Conversion Rules

Richard

LinusMundane
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by LinusMundane » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:40 pm

Thinking on it a while and looking at how cool they are in PF, I will be playing a bard, Human. Sorry for any inconveinence.
Image Glugglug; Orcish Paladin of Tyranny
Image Bone Crushnsmash; Fighter of the Bloodthirst School
Image Collin; Monk
Image Nani; Rogue
Image Dwanthor; Hill Dwarf Warlock

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by kabkal » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:07 pm

I am new to PbP, but am interested in joining the game. Please just let me know what to do. I would be interested in playing a simple, boring human fighter.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image Coty: Gnome/Summoner
ImageBART 1173:Andriod/Pisterol

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:32 pm

LinusMundane: no trouble at all (for me anyway)--will record human Bard in the evolving player list.

kabkal: Welcome! I will add you to the player list as a human fighter. If you haven't already--read through the entire post as there is info scattered throughout about character expectations/needs.

What is your experience level with DND and/or other role playing? And also familiarity with TOS? Just asking to clarify your question about what to do. I would suggest as a general 1st step--pick a PbP that is running already and read through the posts to get a feel for how things work.

We have at least several weeks till the campaign will be starting. As a basic guide:
1: register at invisiblecastle.com and use duni's post in the beginning of this topic as an example on how to roll up stats (make sure you use the roll dice link rather than the stats link.)
2: I am assuming you have subscribed to TOS--which is a requirement to play PbP on this forum? You can use the last TOS version to begin building your character--or if you prefer you can wait until TOS 3.0 comes out (which must happen before this campaign begins.) If you don't know what TOS means then we need to take a few steps back :-)
3: TOS creates character sheets separate from the main Excel file that use the .tos extension. SO if your character is named tog you need to find the tog.tos file and either post it here or you can PM (private message) me with it. I will review it and, after any needed negotiations, approve it.
4: That is about it pretty much--we use invisiblecastle for roles and will have our own forum created for posts related to the game. So you just bookmark that link for easy access and be sure and subscribe to any posts (an option at the bottom of each post) so you can get an email when new posts arrive.
5: play the game (like the Queen song only different)

Hey Richard--if you happen to read this--this kind of post (written by someone with more experience hopefully) would be a great sticky topic in The Dice Room. Don't cha think?

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:35 pm

ok to delete
Last edited by cave_lion on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by kabkal » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:03 pm

When I say I am new, I mean to PbP. I have been playing D&D since round 1, say maybe close to 30 years, but I still don't always get the "new" rules (what ever happened to AC-3??). I just downloaded and subscribed to TOS last weekend, but have picked up on the sheet pretty quickly (with a lot of help from a few friendly people in the chat area).

I have registered for the invis castle and will start to make my player out of the PF rules. I will pm my char to you later tonight or this weekend.

Thanks for welcoming me in.

4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [6,5,3] = (14)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [5,4,2] = (11)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [5,5,5] = (15)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [3,3,2] = (8)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [5,4,3] = (12)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [6,6,5] = (17)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [5,5,4] = (14)

Here are the rolls of invisible castle, will be dropping the 8.

Based on a random name, my human fighter will now and forever more be known as Keveak Serpenthelm the Swordsmith
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image Coty: Gnome/Summoner
ImageBART 1173:Andriod/Pisterol

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by scarymike23 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:40 pm

Last edited by scarymike23 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-SM

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:00 am

The gods are not going to be part of the SRD I would imagine. There is a fairly cheap book with them here

But there are webpage descriptions with many of them around. I did a quick google search and found many--here are a few of the best:

http://plothook.net/RPG/showthread.php?t=10708

http://67.207.129.22/campaign/rise-of-t ... -religions

http://www.dndgamer.com/forum/showpost. ... ostcount=2

Here is one SRD for Pathfinder: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:37 pm

Looks like the 2nd party requires a rogue, so that's what I'll do. Either half-elf or tiefling (the pathfinder version of tiefling is in the free bestiary preview download, so no conversion necessary).

4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=15, 4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=9, 4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=12, 4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=17, 4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=9, 4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=16, 4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=14

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:05 pm

kabkal wrote:When I say I am new, I mean to PbP. I have been playing D&D since round 1, say maybe close to 30 years, but I still don't always get the "new" rules (what ever happened to AC-3??). I just downloaded and subscribed to TOS last weekend, but have picked up on the sheet pretty quickly (with a lot of help from a few friendly people in the chat area).

I have registered for the invis castle and will start to make my player out of the PF rules. I will pm my char to you later tonight or this weekend.

Thanks for welcoming me in.

4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [6,5,3] = (14)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [5,4,2] = (11)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [5,5,5] = (15)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [3,3,2] = (8)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [5,4,3] = (12)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [6,6,5] = (17)
4d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) → [5,5,4] = (14)

Here are the rolls of invisible castle, will be dropping the 8.

Based on a random name, my human fighter will now and forever more be known as Keveak Serpenthelm the Swordsmith
Kobkal, one of the reason's we use invisible Castle is because we are able to link back to the roll we made. In the future remember to copy/paste the BBCode at the bottom of the results page you see after a roll is made. This is what is used for validating a roll.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

LinusMundane
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by LinusMundane » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:43 pm

NT
Last edited by LinusMundane on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Glugglug; Orcish Paladin of Tyranny
Image Bone Crushnsmash; Fighter of the Bloodthirst School
Image Collin; Monk
Image Nani; Rogue
Image Dwanthor; Hill Dwarf Warlock

Esselmonster
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by Esselmonster » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:43 pm

If there's still room, I'd be interested. Never done PbP before, but always wanted to give it a try.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:48 pm

mkihnt wrote:If there's still room, I'd be interested. Never done PbP before, but always wanted to give it a try.
We'd love to have you in our game. You'll find that time is on your side in PbP.
Image Image

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:06 pm

may be deleted
Last edited by cave_lion on Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:08 pm

Duniagdra wrote:
mkihnt wrote:If there's still room, I'd be interested. Never done PbP before, but always wanted to give it a try.
We'd love to have you in our game. You'll find that time is on your side in PbP.
I'll second that mkihnt! Welcome to PbP...

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:38 pm

ok to delete
Last edited by cave_lion on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by cave_lion » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:30 pm

As mentioned, this campaign will be using MapTool for mapping representations. For those who are unfamiliar with this program, you can find out more about it here: rptools. No need really though--the end result will just be jpg images of the campaign maps I will post in the game as we progress. Any info needed about symbols or items on the maps will be posted for everyone to see.

What I will need from every player is a picture representing his or her character--so I can make the tokens we will be using in the maps. I know many of you are experienced with making these tokens, but I would prefer to make the tokens myself so I can use a consistent border for all players.

Again, you can post pics here or PM them to me, whichever you prefer.

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:32 am

Here's Birag. I was just curious what you mean by standard starting gold. I'm debating on traits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:13 am

I thought we were waiting for TOS+ v3.0 to be released? Do you want us to submit characters using TOS+ v2.502?
Image Image

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:20 am

Duniagdra wrote:I thought we were waiting for TOS+ v3.0 to be released? Do you want us to submit characters using TOS+ v2.502?
This is clearly indicated in the top post in this thread:
Start Date: As soon as we have ToS 3.0

If I would be EvIl, I'd say some people can't read >:)
Richard

Return to “{PbP} The World's Largest Dungeon [CLOSED]{Pathfinder}”