B2A) Nekki: On the Move

Group B
Post Reply
cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

B2A) Nekki: On the Move

Post by cave_lion » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:00 pm

Post 1H wrote:Over the next several days you ranged along the land in a zig zag pattern doing the best you could to look for any unusual type of formation that would suggest an opening into a cavern, while always moving slowly and carefully, to avoid detection by the wandering monsters at every turn of the way. On the third day you peered over a cavern wall and looked down into a desolate valley of rocks and dead scrub below, to see what appeared to be a small dark opening in the side of the valley wall...
OUT OF CHARACTER
What would Nekki like to do? There are no obvious threats in the area, though you can do a PC (Perception Check) to study this further before you take any action...

 


User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Re: 2A) Nekki: On the Move

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:33 pm

With nothing overtly dangerous showing itself, Nekki feels relatively safe, and spots around to see if she can find something hazardous.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Nekki: PC (1d20+7=25)
Kheldon: PC (1d20+1=8)

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: 2A) Nekki: On the Move

Post by cave_lion » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:54 am

You are up high and about 400ft away from the opening you've discovered (200 ft up and 200 ft forward). Kheldon is looking in the opposite direction snapping at flies and waiting for your word to move again.
As you are scanning the area below, you suddenly spot some movement, and with a bit of focus you see a humanoid about your size on the valley floor below you (about 225ft distant to the right) hiding behind some rocks and focused on the opening. He is armed with a bow and has an arrow knocked but is at ease currently. He does not appear to have noticed you. Descent into the valley from your current position will take a climb check DC10. This area is one of the easier ways into the valley looking in both directions as far as you can see (estimated 500ft bend to the right and a long way to the left.)
SpoilerShow
goblin archer.jpg
OUT OF CHARACTER
Give me some more info on Kheldon's personality if you don't mind--with a 6 INT there is more going on there than a typical wolf so you need to pick some personality points to work with--I will be handling animal companions/familiars/etc as PC's controlled by the person playing the master PC most of the time, by the way, so Kheldon will for the most part, be controlled by you.

 

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Re: 2A) Nekki: On the Move

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:30 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Kheldon is extremely playful. He loves to wrestle with Nekki, who is more than a match for his strength. But, in all the times they have wrestled, he has never broken skin. He is always extremely gentle with her, considering Nekki to be his older sister rather than his master. He follows her out of duty to a sibling rather than a perceived master/slave relationship. Because of this, he can be quite obstinate when the time comes to buckle down and do work when he is riled up and ready to play. Of course, Nekki is usually ready to play, as well, and she is more likely to succumb to his playful desires than attempt to persuade him to calm down for the work that lie ahead.

Primarily, though, Kheldon's guiding star is Nekki. He looks to her for guidance, and a disapproving glare from her is all it takes to stop him in his tracks. They have bonded so closely that at times, he seems almost empathic about such glances, rare though they are.

 

Nekki is never one to pass up the opportunity to practice her Goblin. She tongues a typical greeting a few times while nocking an arrow. She aims, slightly to the left of the goblin's head, attempting to lodge her arrow into the stone just next to him before calling out the greeting with a playful laugh. Seems friendly enough!

Attack roll to hit the intended square, just to the left of the goblin's head (-6 penalty due to range increments) (1d20+5-6=19)

Wow that was a good shot! Nekki is impressed with herself! With a broad grin, she quickly hides again, completing the Snipe attack.

Stealth (-20 for snipe, +22 for 225' distance) (1d20+11-20+22=25)

She watches as the goblin realizes what happened and freaks out believing an enemy to be present. Teeheehee! How fun this will be!

Goblin yells:I almost got you! She calls down the familiar Goblin greeting! Goblin yells:What are we hunting? She calls, hoping to impress the goblin with her knowledge of his language. Perhaps she can make a friend!

Diplomacy (should the conversation progress for a minute) (1d20+8=9)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: 2A) Nekki: On the Move

Post by cave_lion » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:38 pm

The goblin starts with a curse quickly looking around to catch sight of you (shouldn't be too hard to find you since you are talking to him.) Once he sees you he pauses for a few seconds looking at you and then turns and bolts for the opening without a word.

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Re: 2A) Nekki: On the Move

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:22 pm

Sure that she has made a new friend, Nekki urges Kheldon down the mountain. Kheldon climbs down the rocks with steady feet before bounding after their new goblin friend.

Climb check (-3 penalty from Medium load) (1d20-2=13)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: 2A) Nekki: On the Move

Post by cave_lion » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:39 pm

As Nekki turns to mount Kheldon, she is startled to find a grizzled old halfling kneeling with the wolf, hand out for Kheldon to lick it (old, like facial hair old, which is almost unheard of among halflings.)
SpoilerShow
Erastil.jpg
Nice shot Nekki! You're gonna need a few more of those where you're going--though you may want to start aiming at the head--goblins will never be your friend I'm afraid. Unless you consider a meal to be a friend... He pauses for half a moment to let you get used to him (You quickly realize that if Kheldon is so relaxed around him you have nothing to worry about--even if you were the worrying kind).No--don't you worry about that goblin, he's in for a nasty surprise in that hole--and his party wasn't coming back for him anyway. Dead he is, one way or another and very soon. I have some news for you Nekki. I generally try and stay out of affairs like this, but this time is different unfortunately. Very soon, there is going to be a group of 6 arriving in the room inside that hole in the cliff wall there. It is supposed to be a group of 7, and you, my dear, are the seventh member. I tend to be short on words, so I'm not gonna fill you in on the details--they can do that well enough. The good news, and all that you really NEED to know, is that Haleen did indeed come here and she IS in the place you are going to. I don't know if she is still alive; don't think anyone out here can know that; but I do know if you plan to find her you are going in there anyway and better to do that with a crowd I'd say. Nasty place, that's for sure. He rises from the kneeling position he was in Well, guess I better be moving on. You go on into that hole and good luck to you! He gives you half a smile and turns to leave...pausing before you can say anything and looking at you again. That's a fine bow Nekki, but I can make it a bit better for you. Let me see it for a minute...

he reaches his hand out to you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Re: A2A) Nekki: On the Move

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:27 pm

Nekki happily gives over her bow. It is ornate with designs carved into it. Feathers from several different birds adorn the top, and a gaudy pyrite bauble dangles from the bottom. After handing him her bow, she says, Your beard... it's missing something! She reaches into her pocket, and pulls out a cheap and gaudy barrette. She reaches out to attempt to snap it to the halfling's beard.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: A2A) Nekki: On the Move

Post by cave_lion » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:07 pm

shai-hulud wrote:“Your beard... it's missing something!” She reaches into her pocket, and pulls out a cheap and gaudy barrette. She reaches out to attempt to snap it to the halfling's beard.
Erastil allows Nekki to snap the barrette in his hair with a half amused/half amazed grin. He then holds her bow for a moment and a bluish power surge from his hand into the bow. He hands it back to Nekki and says This bow will follow your intent now when you fire it. As long as you know what you are firing at, cover will not prevent a successful hit. If you wish to hide the magic say teiktek. When he does this the blue glow fades away and your bow appears normal again.)Now go little one, your party will need you soon. May you find many pretty trinkets on your journey... He then turns and walks away.
OUT OF CHARACTER
The Bow is now +2 (to hit) and has the Seeking ability: only ranged weapons can have the seeking ability. The weapon veers toward its target, negating any miss chances that would otherwise apply, such as from concealment. The wielder still has to aim the weapon at the right square. Arrows mistakenly shot into an empty space, for example, do not veer and hit invisible enemies, even if they are nearby. It also has a glow equivalent to a candle (5') when activated (keyword: teiktek)

 


User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Re: A2A) Nekki: On the Move

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:32 pm

Nekki, pleased as punch that she is finally on the path to finding Haleen, calls after the halfling, Thank you! You are so sweet! Next time, I'll have more barrettes for you! She smiles as wide as she can, pats Kheldon's head, and mounts up. Waving goodbye to her patron, she asks Kheldon to hurry on into the cave, just as he had said.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

cave_lion
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: A2A) Nekki: On the Move

Post by cave_lion » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:12 pm

You slide/ride down into the valley with no problem and approach the dark opening. It appears to have been blown out from the inside and there is cleared rubble on both sides of the hole. Everything is quiet in the valley but there are conversation noises coming from inside, as well as a fairly strong draft. You dismount from Kheldon and peering into the opening, you realize that it is not a tunnel into the face of the cliff, but rather an opening into a large room built inside of the mountain. You spot a group of people in the room and as you are looking at them, the large Stone Giant standing next to them suddenly disappears. It appears to be around a 20' drop to the floor of the room. There is a rope tied off with an old rusty piton that drops down into the opening.
As you contemplate this, wondering how you and Kheldon are going to get down to the floor of the room, you hear a loud voice behind you Nekki, you are here just in time! Kheldon is a bit intimidated by the giant standing behind you but stands his ground with flattened ears and a growl...Calm your wolf Nekki, I am only here to bring you to the others. You place your hand on Kheldon and assure him everything is fine. He is calmed relatively easy, and as you are scratching his neck, the giant lightly touches you on the sleeve, speaking words you don't understand. The next moment you are surprised to find yourself standing amongst the group in the room inside the mountain.
OUT OF CHARACTER
post continued in Thread B2

 


Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} TWLD: Group B”