B1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Group B
Post Reply
cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

B1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Post by cave_lion » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:34 pm

This post initially gathers all members of your party together except one (Nekki will be joining shortly). This is done via Teleport with the entities you have been dealing with up to this time. You reappear in a large (about 150' x 200' with 75'ceiling), very old room made of mostly blocks of some kind of hard stone. You can feel the age here, and there are also some fracture lines here and there on the wall and especially on the floor. The floor can be considered rough terrain with a very large skeleton covering a large portion of it that has obviously been there for a very long time--it has almost become part of the floor and there are mounds of rock and dirt lifting it up in places.
SpoilerShow
titan guard.jpg
The skeleton is a large Titan (as explained by Hrilga) who died here defending this gateway.

My intent is that all PC's will arrive at around the same time (dawn of day 1), and that characters will have all of their listed supplies in hand (either by being on them or by being teleported to this location by various entities.) All loose ends are meant to be wrapped up at this point (if you haven't sent me an updated .tos please do so asap). You have all said your goodbyes as needed (if possible) and are aware to some degree about what is going on. In the interest of getting started with the proper Campaign, I am going to forgo writing this initial part out as an interactive setting and just summarize the relevant situations that occur here. There isn't really much opportunity for role play since nothing can really be changed or negotiated and I assume everyone is going to say yes to the quest, so I don't see a point in trying to dramatize it anymore than it already has been. I will give 1 day after posting for anyone to add any questions or comments, and then we will move on to Thread #2 which will begin the descent into TWLD.

PC's present are:
Bhen the Proper (esselmonster), Human Vudrani Monk
Birag Stoneshatter (marine7312000), Half Orc Ulfen Paladin
Dordolio (Arpat), Halfling Bard
Taedyn (greg_BSCIS), Half Elven Taldan Sorcerer
Treye Hirther (Benji), Human Taldan Sorcerer
Zanice Songsteel (scarymike23), Dwarven Cleric

and shortly:
Nekki Tinkerton (shai-hulud), Halfling-ish Rogue

NPC's present are:
Hrilga Shield Maiden, servant of Torag (a celestial dwarf werebear who brings Birag and Zanice)
Sixth Rebirth, servant of Irori (A stone giant, who brings Bhen, Taedyn and Treye)
Sorrowbrand, servant of Desna (A lillend who brings Dordolio)

Hrilga, together with Dordolio (who is already informed of much of what is going on and quite able to share his knowledge) will explain the situation as described here. She will explain that Pharasma (deity of fate, death, prophecy, and birth) has named all of you as being destined to complete this mission together and that only your group could possibly succeed at it. She tells you that many of the imprisoned beasts close to the broken entrance you will be using have already escaped, so you will have time to develop your skills as you move deeper into the Dungeon. But she will also make sure you are aware that many years have passed since some of the entrances were compromised so there are large numbers of creatures trapped inside the Dungeon who were able to get in but not able to get out. She makes sure you understand that once inside the Dungeon there are various magicks which prevent the use of many types of spells and other supernatural abilities; specifically any Teleport or multi-dimensional spells either don't function at all or function in a limited way. Summoning works one way so any creature you summon will not be able to return to where it came from without finding a broken exit to physically travel through to the outside world. Summoned creatures are extremely dangerous because of this, as they will blame their summoner for trapping them once the summon spell wears off.

Once everyone has agreed to this quest you can all confer with each other and pick up any missing supplies before you commit to stepping into the Dungeon. (Hrilga will help make this happen.)

During the preparations these things occur:
1) Hrilga will take Birag aside and present him with a gift from Torag; an iron hammer (I will PM you what it is.)
2) Sixth Rebirth will take Bhen aside and present him with two gifts; a set of kama (PM to follow), and a ring (Jumping, Improved)

(Nekki is not here for this initial set up...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: 1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Post by scarymike23 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:00 pm

Zanice says: A healer's kit or two would be a good idea, no doubt. Unfortunately, I just don't have that kind of riches! I've used plenty of he temple's, but I can't exactly just take em. Can't say I'm not a bit worried about you folk getting in over your heads. Torag protect us all.
-SM

User avatar
Benji
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Portsmouth, England
Contact:

Re: 1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Post by Benji » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Treye will look around briefly upon arrival before moving over to the skeleton. She will then spend a goodly amount of time looking over it (mostly out of curiosity.)
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

User avatar
marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Round Rock, TX
Contact:

Re: 1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Post by marine7312000 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:46 pm

Birag says I swear all those hits to your head during sparring have knocked your memory loose Zanice. I have a healing kit. Unlike someone, I remember to bring equipment that would come in handy.

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Netherlands, Almere
Contact:

Re: 1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Post by Arpat » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:18 am

Dordolio looks around and smiles...
He turns to Sorrowbrand Thank you for you help Sorrowbrand, i am honored that you, such a beautiful lillend helped me to get here.
He bows deeply before her. May Desna's luck always be with you!

He takes a deep breath and mentally he prepares for the things that lay ahead.
he starts walking around looking at the skeleton THINKING: if that wasn't able to survive...
he turns to the group of people and addresses the dwarf: Master Dwarf i am not a specialist in caves or stone dwellings... maybe you have some advice for me to get items before we proceed? he shows his possesions
i have 2 silk ropes, a grapling hook and a hamer and a few pitons, maybe some more pitons would be helpfull... hmm and maybe we need some more rations? i am used to sing for my dinner, but here... Dordolio smiles leaving the conclusion to the dwarf.

He looks around So it's up to us now... here it all starts with the "gathering of heroes"
He starts to hum a song while he looks closely at the skeleton and the surroundings... his fingers touch the holy symbol of Desna and he smiles, remembering that moment that changed his life. Whatever fate will bring, that moment will last forever.
Image
Arpat

User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: 1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Post by greg_BSCIS » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:44 am

After appearing at the rally point (gathering place), Taedyn first checks to see if Treye is ok. Out of curiosity only, checks to see if Bhen made it as well. After seeing that both are present and Treye is ok, Taedyn's quirk of refusing to go anywhere unarmed kicks in. He takes quick inventory as he listens to the little conversations around him and watches Treye out of the corner of his eye.
OUT OF CHARACTER
If Taedyn realizes Sorrowbrand is an agent of Desna, he would give Sorrowbrand a bow of respect.

 

And then turns to Zanice and says to him in his signature cool and calm voice;

Master Dwarf of Torag, if you need some coin to purchase a healing kit or two, I can provide you with some. No need to be under prepared in this situation and how much do you need? In addition, through Desna's luck, I have the power to convert arcane energies into healing energies.

Then momentarily takes his eyes of Zanice and looks at Treye before returning his eyes to Zanice.
Image
Image
Image

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: 1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Post by scarymike23 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:00 am

First responding to Birag: Ya probably stole it, you no good muscle bound tree!. A wink and a smile to the rest of the group put you at ease that their rivalry is friendly, and full of history.

Zanice turns to Taedyn: I've never heard of such magics! Book heads mending wounds with magics? Well, its not that we won't be needing it. Between you, me, the lunkhead over here, Points to the half-orc paladin and the bard, we should be able to keep this band of misfits going for a bit. Still, a few more healers kits could keep us from bleeding out should something bad happen. Zanice begins to rummage through his coin purse to count his gold, humming to himself.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I'm not in front of my char sheet, so I can't remember how much gold I have left. Frankly, we may not need more healer's kits, but damn if low level doesn't involve a lot of stabilization via the heal skill in my experience. Of course, I've never seen level 1 chars with +3 weapons either, so this module may be different.

 

Zanice, then turns to Dordolio, Sounds like you got it pretty well covered. I've also got rope, which always comes in handy. Can any among us spot a trap? I've more than once stumbled into something I shouldn't have. And I don't know about food, but I'm willing to bet there are plenty of creatures that will provide much meat, so long as you have the stomach for it and we have fire to roast it.

THINKING: "Master dwarf"... I like that. That Dordolio seems like a good fellow, despite his lack of facial hair.
Last edited by scarymike23 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-SM

User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: 1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Post by greg_BSCIS » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:36 am

Ah Master Dwarf of Torag, you are thinking of a wizard. My powers are innate similar to a great dragon's arcane power as we draw it from an internal source and not an external source like a wizard. In this case, a book only can tell us or give us an idea of where this internal source is and how do we receive our power from the Fabrica Arcanum

Taedyn glances over to Treye as Zanice rummages through his coin purse as to not be rude and of course to see how Treye is doing and what she is analyzing.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Round Rock, TX
Contact:

Re: 1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Post by marine7312000 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:03 am

I believe my diminutive friend forgot to take his old timer's medicine today other wise he would remember that I can stabilize a dying comrade with but a touch. There is not even a hint of humor in Birag's deep voice as he says this. In response to Dordolio's comment about pitons Friend, I have a complete climber's kit as well as additional pitons in my own gear but you never know when just a few more is what is needed.
OUT OF CHARACTER
FYI old timer's is what my family calls alzheimer's.

 


User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: 1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Post by greg_BSCIS » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:02 pm

Taedyn looks to Birag and states in his signature cool and calm voice;

If he still needs coin for a healing kit, the offer still stands. With Desna's luck, I can stabilize as well.

Taedyn looks back at Zanice and looks a little impatient with the Dwarf. Then looks over at Treye and the skeleton looking eager to join her.

Trying not to be rude, he whispers a ... sigh

Impatience, a trait obviously inherited from his human parent since elves have a more immortal life, they tend to not be so concern with "time" unless it is during situations where time is of the essence such as on the battlefield.
Image
Image
Image

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: 1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Post by scarymike23 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 pm

greg_BSCIS wrote:Taedyn looks to Birag and states in his signature cool and calm voice;

If he still needs coin for a healing kit, the offer still stands. With Desna's luck, I can stabilize as well.

Taedyn looks back at Zanice and looks a little impatient with the Dwarf. Then looks over at Treye and the skeleton looking eager to join her.

Trying not to be rude, he whispers a ... sigh

Impatience, a trait obviously inherited from his human parent since elves have a more immortal life, they tend to not be so concern with "time" unless it is during situations where time is of the essence such as on the battlefield.
Zanice sticks his tounge out at Birag before speaking: 25 fold gold coins should do the trick. The more of us who can help, the better off we'll be.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Assuming its handed over, zanice thanks Taydyn and goes over to work with Hrilga on procuring a healer's kit. I'll just spend the money (25 of mine and 25 of Taedyn's and add it to my inventory.

 

-SM

User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: 1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Post by greg_BSCIS » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:53 pm

With Desna's luck, I hope we do not have to use the healer's kit often.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Hands 25 gold to Zanice and deducting 25 gold from his treasure. Taedyn walks over to the Titan skeleton to analyze it with Treye if she is still there. If not, true to a curious scholar he will still analyze the skeleton.

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
Anything of interest Mr. DM? ... lol

 

Image
Image
Image

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: 1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Post by cave_lion » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:21 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Anything of interest Mr. DM? ... lol

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
Looks like impatience isn't just a trait of Taedyn's :D I'll get to that skeleton here shortly... I'm giving everyone a chance to discuss things before posting Greg--I know it seems like forever and I am ignoring everyone's posts--but this is inherent in this style of gaming. If I cut in early as a DM I may prevent the player's story from developing fully. Expect, for the most part, at least a day to go by when I post as a DM before any replies or changes from me--and more often than not with 7 players this will be 2 days usually for major post verifications. There is just no way to speed things up beyond that given how things work here. There is also a kinda big finale coming (yah I know we haven't even really started yet :), and I am trying to make sure I coordinate everything properly so the beginning story is a strong one and everyone has a good idea of what to expect in this campaign from here on out... Not to mention I am on vacation this week and the internet connection down here is very sporadic... I should have a follow up post by the end of the day that gives more info on our dead titan.

 


User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: 1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Post by greg_BSCIS » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:35 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
I wasn't trying to impatient ... lol. I was just doing one of my normal player question. And of course, I am sure I am not quite use to PbP as well ... :)

 

Image
Image
Image

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: 1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Post by cave_lion » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:44 pm

It's cool :) I just know this took me a bit to get used to with PbP--so figured I'd comment on it. Very different from shouting across a table at the DM until they give you the floor. From the DM's perspective this is a good thing--I can ignore all of you at the same time until I'm darn well ready to deal with things >:)

User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: 1J: A Gathering of Heroes

Post by greg_BSCIS » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:48 pm

LOL - hope you are enjoying your vacation :)
Image
Image
Image

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} TWLD: Group B”