B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Group B
Post Reply
Arpat
Arpat
Arpat
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Netherlands, Almere
Contact:

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by Arpat » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:06 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
the distraction is currently the fight... they hopefully dont see us enter.
when we are back into the entrance, only the front character would be shot... he would be dead in one volley since all the fire would concentrate on him alone.
so that would not be wise. thats why i urge everybody to go left and right along the wall so we cant get surrounded and have a wall behind our back...
also with going left and right we open up a clear path for the one behind us enable more people to ranged attacks... the longer it akes for the enemy to recognise us the more people we get liend up left and right (the two teams) to attack them from two sides

 

Image
Arpat

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by scarymike23 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:10 pm

I'm fully on board with your plan. I think we just need cave lion (DM) to weigh in. I think he is gone for few days or something.
-SM

User avatar
marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Round Rock, TX
Contact:

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by marine7312000 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:23 pm

Birag listens to the debate about tactics and says If I'm in charge then this is what we're doing. Zanice and myself take lead down the passage. We send Harpsent and Kenken in first to distract our opponents and then utilize whatever surprise they create to attack with ranged weapons. If we can take a few of the goblins down before we have to trade blows with them great. I like the plan involving moving along the wall so we get as many of us into the room as possible but try to leave our ranged focused members in the passageway for as long as possible. Everyone keep your back to the wall and try not to let one person get swarmed. Let's go. With that said, Birag moves into the passageway and keeps going, hoping everyone follows.

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by cave_lion » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:49 pm

I've been out of town on business for two days--reading everything but not so much time to post--there is so much you have all posted I want to do it right, so I am going to take my time and get everything set up the way I think you all are intending. It is not easy dissecting all the posts and making sure everyone's point of view is covered. Should finish that either tonight or tomorrow at the latest. I'm betting you guys knock these little buggers out in 3 rounds or less--but we will see...
Keep in mind that, although this has taken a good deal of time in the real world to get to this point, in the game there has not been too much time gone by--maybe 15/20 minutes. Much of the banter has just been everyone getting used to PbP (for those who haven't played much) and us as a group working on getting comfortable with each other's posting methods. We are hopefully finishing up here building a base, that will make for a solid foundation to play this game for a couple of years...

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by cave_lion » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:01 am

Arpat wrote:i'm not sure if the goblins would be able to "see" a still image in the dark, but it's worth a shot...

as i understood it, the entrance is too narrow to get two people side by side...
maybe one can kneel and the other stand behind to shoot some arrows...
greg_BSCIS wrote:Gordon - how much noise are our armor friends making over the Goblin fight? Can I hear them more or the Goblins. If I can hear them more, there is a good chance one of goblins may notice.

Do the goblins have range weapons? My tactics will change if they do
OUT OF CHARACTER
The spell is not "still image" but "Silent Image." It can move a variable amount--right now at Treye's level that is 50 feet. Within that range it can do whatever she wants--run/raise up on two legs/whatever. It just can't go beyond the range limit and it doesn't make sounds at all. Given the noise the goblins make and the noise they will continue to make they are perfect for this to work (as long as the die roll your way...) Treye does also know Colorspray--but that is a limited range spell--so more of a defensive thing to save for emergencies (I would think anyway.)

As far as noise--remember that the tunnel is pressurized and forcing noise in the direction away from the goblins. The layout is not conducive to them hearing anything coming at them from that direction--but again it will depend on their roll to a degree.

The goblins have one archer--the one prone in the other, larger tunnel.

The entrance you talk of Arpat is actually depicted in the map picture. It does spread out to a 10' section right at the end and there is a little pocket right there with some extra space

I had wanted to post the beginning of Round 1 and roll surprise for the goblins--but there is still 1 major element that no one has addressed yet. For surprise to work the tunnel needs to stay black (or nearly black)--and for those without darkvision that means you will need to be led to the entrance so when the lights go on you are ready to move. The tunnel is only about 100 feet--the usable light from the cave stops after 10 feet or so. The light also needs to be figured out once in the room--it is a large one so at least two light sources are needed to fight without penalty for those with normal vision. Harpsent will provide one on the far side. He can also (if he hasn't already) provide a torch with continual light that someone can hide in a backpack until ready to throw it out into the room (or Kenken can carry it out for you.) First reasonable plan I get to deal with the light situation will get this battle rolling...
A few things to consider. Make sure everyone is aware of how surprise works in the game--I posted relevant info on the OOC thread. The main thing to know is that you only get one standard or one move action in a surprise round--not both. SO the ranged attacks can be done in the entrance if you don't move. The melee fighters either need to just move--or they can charge to get a standard move plus attack during the surprise round (placing them in the middle of the room.) Also--both Harpsent and Kenken have ranged attacks that they can implement during a surprise round if in the proper position to do so (Harpsent will definitely do so after teleporting in (which is what will begin the surprise round with the arrow attacks?)
Ok...no more tutorials...this game is on...

 


User avatar
marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Round Rock, TX
Contact:

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by marine7312000 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:24 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Is this tunnnel straight or does it have a curve of some sort that the party members without darkvision can hide behind until the room is better lit? My plan is to have Harpsent cast continual flame on Birag's throwing axe that he has readied when he has reached the end of the tunnel. Harpsent teleports to the other side immediately after casting continual flame and starts giving off light. Birag attacks the goblin that seems to be winning the fight in the center of the room. The party members without darkvision can at least see the axe go tumbling through the air and if it hits, and sticks in the goblin, either we have another portable light source, ie goblin runnning around thinking it's going to catch fire, or we have a light source in the middle of the room because the goblin is dead. Plus a fiery axe appearing out of nowhere might scare the goblins just a bit. The remainder of the party, ie those without darkvision, hide behind a turn in the tunnel until Birag throws the axe. Once the axe is thrown they can move forward and attack with ranged weapons at targets that they can see.

 


Arpat
Arpat
Arpat
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Netherlands, Almere
Contact:

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by Arpat » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:04 am

Dordolio smiles and looks at Birag.
I agree that you are the best leader.
With that matter dealt with he can focus on the fight at hand.

We have the light from Harpsent, and i like the axe-with-light-in-gobelin idea
if that isn't sufficient i can stop making horsesounds and cast light. It would not be a problem since the horse sounds only are needed to scare them initially.
So i think that light to fight with is covered...

Dordolio looks to the entrance
what's the best idea we have for now about entering and in what order we set off the events Birag?
Image
Arpat

User avatar
marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Round Rock, TX
Contact:

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by marine7312000 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:16 am

Birag says Myself and Zanice will take the lead, Harpsent will remain with the main body of the group to provide light. When we reach the last bend in the tunnel, Harpsent comes to me with his light dimmed, enchants this throwing axe with continual flame and then teleports to the other side of the room. Once I see him on the other side, I throw at the winning goblin and do my best to get out of the way. Once you see the axe thrown pick your targets and fire. As for Kenken I'd recommend him staying with the casters to provide backup in case they get attacked. That frees myself, Zanice and Bhen for attacking directly with Nekki in support.

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by scarymike23 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:19 am

Just before Birag and I enter the cave (before combat begins), Birag feels a surge of goodness pulse through his blood as Zanice touches him, whispering Let the power of Torag guide you.
OUT OF CHARACTER
For the next 10 rounds, Birag will recieve a +1 sacred bonus on attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws via the GOOD domain power known as "Touch of Good"

 

-SM

User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by greg_BSCIS » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:18 pm

Treye just in case this battle goes awry for our overzealous friends, Desna's Luck be with you.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Treye receives an insight bonus on attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws equal to 1/2 your sorcerer level for 1 round.

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
I time the spell just right so it will last hopefully for the whole fight. Casting SHIELD spell on myself which in turn grants me a luck bonus equal to the spell’s level on all your saving throws for 1 round.

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
When Harpsent lights up the Goblin Archer I will shoot him since Harpsent will be close to him - at least that is what is sounds like. I will take position at grid BJ-25 and will be shooting Goblin 15 at grid AZ-17 (which is the Archer - correct?)

 

Image
Image
Image

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by cave_lion » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:59 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
ROUND 1: Surprise Attack
Initiative

Harpsent: teleports in and blasts archer
Kenken: attacks a goblin
Birag Stoneshatter
Treye Hirther
Dordolio
Bhen the Proper
Taedyn Firisol
Nekki Tinkerton
Zanice Songsteel
Goblin Leader
Goblin Archer: is dead
Goblins
Wolf

The enemy in blue is surprised/The enemy in Red is not surprised

 

With plans well laid, the party moves down the narrow tunnel. Birag walks down the tunnel first, shielding the light of the muted Harpsent from the goblins until he gets to the small alcove. The rest follow as quietly as they can listening to the sounds of the goblins. When they are nearly to the end of the tunnel, a sudden shout rises in unison from the goblins and you hear (and understand if you speak goblin)
SpoilerShow
Erlbug now leader of you worthless dogs and HE say we go back and leave this cursed room. We find food somewhere else this day...
As the leader says this there seem to be two sides responding, one in agreement and the other cursing and howling their anger.

Now in position and apparently unnoticed, the party begins the next steps of their plan. Harpsent casts a Continual Flame spell on Birag's throwing axe (which Nekki covers in her empty backpack to hide the light). Harpsent then teleports to the far end of the room and fires off two light beams (1d20+7=12, 1d20+7=23) at the goblin archer. The damage (1d6=5, 1d6=5) kills the archer. At the same time Kenken (who sneaked (1d20+17=30) into position as Harpsent cast the light spell) blasts one of the goblins in front of him with his Magic Missile Attack (1d4+1=2, 1d4+1=2). Once Harpsent flares into the room, Birag pulls the axe from the cover and wings it at the leader as the rest of the party runs in and sets up for their various roles.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Birag, Nekki, and Zanice, I moved all of you the free 5' move to get you into a position to attack this round. Remember the distance penalties (which are substantial for Birag with a throwing axe). Birag, you may choose to do a charge attack with the throwing axe to get closer to your target (this gives you a standard move plus attack--you would need to start one square back to remove the assumed free 5' move.) If you do this that would open up room for others to move past Nekki and Zanice. If you stay where you are everyone else needs to squeeze past the front row during their move action of the surprise round (each regular move of one square counts as two squares until past the tight area--which would be just the one square at the entrance to the room). If anyone would prefer to start on the left side of the tunnel (so the 5' move gets you out of every one else's way) you will need to roll a stealth check DC12 to prevent being detected (which could modify all of what has gone before this.)

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
This is a surprise round--everyone unsurprised gets one standard or one move action. Everyone remember to follow the initiative order as posted unless your action will not affect anyone else's actions.

 

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by greg_BSCIS » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:20 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Is the wolf an enemy or Kheldon since I do not see him in the initiative list?

 

Image
Image
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 6004
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Meriden, CT

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:23 pm

greg_BSCIS wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Is the wolf an enemy or Kheldon since I do not see him in the initiative list?

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
Kheldon acts on my initiative. I'd assume that the wolf is separate.

Are we using the base map for this encounter? If we are, it might be helpful for a link to the post that has it.

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by cave_lion » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:25 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
The wolf is a newly discovered enemy coming from the other tunnel. Kheldon does not have an initiative because I assume Nekki is riding him--so they are acting together.

had a map in there and accidentally deleted it--will get it posted back up shortly...

 


User avatar
marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Round Rock, TX
Contact:

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by marine7312000 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:06 pm

Birag will charge to BD25 and attack Goblin 13 intending to leave his throwing axe with continual flame imbedded in the goblin.
OUT OF CHARACTER
1d20+7=14, 1d6+4=6

 


User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 6004
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Meriden, CT

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:28 pm

Nekki will charge to BD23. As she is charging, she will fire upon Goblin 11 (Single move action for the charge, so no penalty for mounted archery). Requires a DC 10 Ride check to be able to attack while mount is moving.

Ride check (DC 10) (1d20+7=25) Success

Attack roll on Goblin 11 (ranged attack) (1d20+6=11) (I hope that hits due to the surprize.)
Damage vs. Goblin 11 (1d4+4=6)
Edit: I forgot to add sneak attack damage! Sneak Attack damage (1d6=6) So, if I hit, total damage is 12.

Kheldon attacks at the end of his charge (Goblin 12).

Kheldon attacks using Power Attack (1d20+3=8) (I forgot to add 2 for charging).
If I can, I'd like to try adding an action point for Kheldon's attack roll (if it can be pulled from Nekki's pool): Action point for Kheldon's attack (8+1d6=11) (If not, oh well).

If that hits, damage is:
Kheldon's damage; CMB for trip (1d6+3=9, 1d20+2=6)
OUT OF CHARACTER
If Nekki cannot use her Action Point for Kheldon, she'll save it.

Edit: I had misread the numbers. I changed the shot fired to Goblin 11, instead of Goblin 13.

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

User avatar
Benji
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Portsmouth, England
Contact:

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by Benji » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:23 am

Treye will take her five foot step to BJ26 and cast a Silent Image of a slightly larger than normal horse to appear coming down the corridor with the wolf, starting at AX12 for now.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Netherlands, Almere
Contact:

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by Arpat » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:05 am

Dordolio will move up to the entrance as far as possible and start his performance. (DC 15 for creating a horsesound to scare the gobelins)
OUT OF CHARACTER
I'm not sure if Dordolio can get to BI24 or BI25 or even to BH for a clear and good performance. ocourse he will try to make it sound like the horse is comming from overthere... (also not sure if that is possible - nonetheless he will try)

 

when he is "performing" he will use his sling to launch a bullet at gobelin 4 (he takes one a little further away in the hope it will create more distraction)
OUT OF CHARACTER
IC is down... if DM rolls ok - otherwise i will roll later today

 

Image
Arpat

User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by greg_BSCIS » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:46 am

THINKING: Lousy harp took my kill. Ok, who should die next.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Do I see any of the goblins barking orders? And I assume the less lit areas are low light areas - correct?

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
I hold my move until Zanice, Nekki, and Birag have used their initiative to clear up the area where I want to stand.

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
Also, my shield spell should be active (10 rounds-probably like 9 now) just prior to initiative during the preparation phase, please take note of my adjusted AC - thanks!

 

Image
Image
Image

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by scarymike23 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:11 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Since this is a surprise round, Zanice can only take a move OR a standard action. Since I'm in the way of other people, I simply move to BH26 (I only have 15 feet of movement left since the first 5 are shown already)

 

-SM

Esselmonster
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:14 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by Esselmonster » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:28 pm

Bhen will simply move up as far as he is able.

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by cave_lion » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:19 pm

scarymike23 wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Since this is a surprise round, Zanice can only take a move OR a standard action. Since I'm in the way way of other people, I simply move to BH26 (I only have 15 feet of movement left since the first 5 are shown already)

 

SM--my intent for setting you and Nekki in the front using the free 5' move was that both of you would then be able to launch ranged attacks during the surprise round. Although you are in the way of others behind you--anyone can use the "squeeze" rule to get past you as part of their move (they just basically lose one square of movement--not a huge deal.) You are free to move anyway to get closer to the action for a better shot--but you could also choose to stay put and get an attack this round (only you and Nekki have that possibility.)

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by scarymike23 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:49 pm

cave_lion wrote: SM--my intent for setting you and Nekki in the front using the free 5' move was that both of you would then be able to launch ranged attacks during the surprise round. Although you are in the way of others behind you--anyone can use the "squeeze" rule to get past you as part of their move (they just basically lose one square of movement--not a huge deal.) You are free to move anyway to get closer to the action for a better shot--but you could also choose to stay put and get an attack this round (only you and Nekki have that possibility.)
Its all good. The only ranged weapon I have has a 30 foot limit (acid dart from the Earth Domain). So I just move during the surprise round.
-SM

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by cave_lion » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:57 pm

scarymike23 wrote:
cave_lion wrote: SM--my intent for setting you and Nekki in the front using the free 5' move was that both of you would then be able to launch ranged attacks during the surprise round. Although you are in the way of others behind you--anyone can use the "squeeze" rule to get past you as part of their move (they just basically lose one square of movement--not a huge deal.) You are free to move anyway to get closer to the action for a better shot--but you could also choose to stay put and get an attack this round (only you and Nekki have that possibility.)
Its all good. The only ranged weapon I have has a 30 foot limit (acid dart from the Earth Domain). So I just move during the surprise round.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Ahh--I see what I did--mixed up your token with Taedyn's. So let's switch you two to make sure the original plan can go as planned. That will mean you will be farther out, but the next round you can move first and still be able to attack...

So Greg--you are able to have Taedyn use the bow this round--sorry about the mix up...

 


Arpat
Arpat
Arpat
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Netherlands, Almere
Contact:

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by Arpat » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:08 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Dordolio can't move AND use his sling since this is a surprise round.
but i guess he can start performing since that can be done walking (especially in his case)

 

Dordolio is Performing the sound of a horse (DC 15) (1d20+9=18)
Image
Arpat

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by cave_lion » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:20 pm

Greg wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Do I see any of the goblins barking orders? And I assume the less lit areas are low light areas - correct?

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
The goblin in the middle is the obvious leader (goblin 10)

There are 3 shades--the brightest is normal light/the next level is dim light (for normal vision)/the darkest level is darkness:

"In an area of dim light, a character can see somewhat. Creatures within this area have concealment (20% miss chance in combat) from those without darkvision or the ability to see in darkness. A creature within an area of dim light can make a Stealth check to conceal itself. Areas of dim light include outside at night with a moon in the sky, bright starlight, and the area between 20 and 40 feet from a torch.

In areas of darkness, creatures without darkvision are effectively blinded. In addition to the obvious effects, a blinded creature has a 50% miss chance in combat (all opponents have total concealment), loses any Dexterity bonus to AC, takes a –2 penalty to AC, and takes a –4 penalty on Perception checks that rely on sight and most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. Areas of darkness include an unlit dungeon chamber, most caverns, and outside on a cloudy, moonless night."

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
Keep in mind that the first action after Harp and Kenken is Birag throwing the torch--which should get normal light for everyone who will attack...

 


cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by cave_lion » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:46 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
If Nekki cannot use her Action Point for Kheldon, she'll save it.

Edit: I had misread the numbers. I changed the shot fired to Goblin 11, instead of Goblin 13.

 

[/quote]
OUT OF CHARACTER
Kheldon (and Harpsent and Kenken) can have their own Action Points as a character would. I also do give Action Points to certain NPC's and also "Boss" monsters.

By the way, I posted on the Paizo forum to see if anyone had issues with Nekki's actions during the surprise round (what you posted didn't seem to be unreasonable, but there was so much going on I wanted to see if there was anyone who could come up with a fault to the plan.) No one had anything to say, so her actions will go into effect next validation. I would have expected some penalty for ranged attacks while charging (if anything)--but apparently not...

 


scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by scarymike23 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:54 pm

cave_lion wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Ahh--I see what I did--mixed up your token with Taedyn's. So let's switch you two to make sure the original plan can go as planned. That will mean you will be farther out, but the next round you can move first and still be able to attack...

So Greg--you are able to have Taedyn use the bow this round--sorry about the mix up...

 

Sounds good. Just move me up as far as I can go this round (speed 20).
-SM

User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by greg_BSCIS » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:25 am

THINKING: Perhaps if I shoot the Goblin leader and kill him, it will throw the goblins more off balance and improve our chances of winning even more. Take aim, breathe, fire at the Goblin leader. - (Goblin #10 BA-23) -
OUT OF CHARACTER
Attack\Damage die roll for Taedyn Firisol

1d20+3=20, 1d8+3=10

 

THINKING: That felt like a nice shot, let us see how good it was?

Taedyn quickly looks with intent at the Goblin leader for the arrow's impact and notches another arrow.
OUT OF CHARACTER
59 arrows remaining

 

Image
Image
Image

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: B2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more

Post by cave_lion » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:56 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
ROUND 1: Surprise Attack
Initiative

Harpsent: teleports in and kills the archer
Kenken: attacks a goblin
Birag Stoneshatter: charges to create goblin lantern
Treye Hirther: casts Silent Image to create a Horse
Dordolio: Sings like a horse!
Bhen the Proper: move
Taedyn Firisol: ranged attack
Nekki & Kheldon: Charging attack
Zanice Songsteel: move
Goblin Leader: dies
Goblin Archer: dies
Goblins: what? hey?
Wolf: moves

The enemy in blue is surprised/The enemy in Red is not surprised

 

As the fight moves to full contact, Birag is the first to move in, throwing his axe, once in range, at the nearest goblin. The hit strikes deep and the goblin drops without a word. In a twist of fate (75% chance axe light is fully visible) (1d100=86), the dumb thing lands on the axe, covering a majority of the light source with his dead body.

Treye and Dordolio, working together for the first time, attempt to create an illusion that includes sound. Treye creates a large charging horse coming down the East tunnel, while Dordolio attempts to make convincing sounds to complete the illusion. Sound is already distorted in this room due to the broken tunnel openings, which create an odd pressurized effect and a louder than normal environment as air rushes from the East tunnel into the South one. This benefits Dordolio's attempt and as he makes the horse sounds several of the goblins quickly turn in panic (from the current focus of Harpsent and Birag) to search for the oncoming horse.
OUT OF CHARACTER
(I moved the start point slightly to ensure line of sight for Treye)

 

Nekki and Kheldon charge into the room, both attacking and missing. In a fluke, Nekki's arrow does slice through the neck of goblin 12 and then lodge itself into goblin 2. Nekki can't help herself and starts giggling uncontrollably ((2 15% chances Nekki's missed arrow hits adjacent opponents) (1d100=9, 1d100=9)). Goblin 12 is gushing blood from the wound and Goblin 2 drops stone cold... She probably won't be mentioning that she was aiming for goblin 11

Taedyn takes a well aimed shot at the lead goblin, focusing to deal with the lack of proper lighting. The arrow pierces his body deeply, dropping the goblin to his knees before it falls dead to the ground.

Coming down the East tunnel, a mangy wolf snarls his way towards the attack. He is startled by the sudden appearance of the horse next to him, but quickly seems to ignore it and turns back to find a victim that smells better... he then notices the new wolf and with a renewed growl lunges forward...

Meanwhile, both Bhen and Zanice move forward to engage in melee as quickly as possible.

Surprise round is over--on to round 2...
OUT OF CHARACTER
ROUND 2: Bring it on!
Initiative

Harpsent: attack
Kenken: move and attack
Birag Stoneshatter: turn over dead goblin and kill one more
Treye Hirther: maintains Silent Image of a Horse
Dordolio: Sings like a horse!
Bhen the Proper:
Taedyn Firisol:
Nekki & Kheldon:
Zanice Songsteel:
Goblins
Wolf

 

Harpsent uses his light rays again to attack goblin 16(ranged touch/damage (1d20+3=18, 1d6=1, 1d20+3=14, 1d6=3)).

Kenken shows everyone a new method of attack, as a glistening sword like appendage extends from his left hand. He steps up to attack, but misses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cave_lion on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated Initiative log and map to current status

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} TWLD: Group B”