OOC Comments/Questions/Rule Clarifications (B)

Group B
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: OOC Comments/Questions/Rule Clarifications

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:14 pm

shai, I'll let you know once I've landed. :D
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by scarymike23 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:20 pm

In the interest of not making this thread 10 pages of arguing one rule, I suggest we take it over to here:
http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/pa ... thralArmor

We might even get an answer straight from the Paizo people.
-SM

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17

Re: Mithral Armor

Post by cave_lion » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:52 pm

I understand your point now and see its validity based on a literal interpretation of the wording. Wearing medium armor without proficiency and no penalty seems wrong on a fundamental DND game level--so I'm still thinking of it as a loophole--but hey--those exist and in the great scheme of things they don't really matter that much. So looks like we are back to this...
cave_lion wrote:Well yes--you are apparently an expert at playing with the rules to find loopholes :D We'll call that a quirk... But out of 14 players--you are the only one who did that--and you made it work in your background, so good for you (I guess?)
Right, so in the next couple of months every player who is not a fighter is going to have a mithral breastplate on right :)

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: Mithral Armor

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:01 pm

cave_lion wrote:I understand your point now and see its validity based on a literal interpretation of the wording. Wearing medium armor without proficiency and no penalty seems wrong on a fundamental DND game level--so I'm still thinking of it as a loophole--but hey--those exist and in the great scheme of things they don't really matter that much. So looks like we are back to this...
cave_lion wrote:Well yes--you are apparently an expert at playing with the rules to find loopholes :D We'll call that a quirk... But out of 14 players--you are the only one who did that--and you made it work in your background, so good for you (I guess?)
Right, so in the next couple of months every player who is not a fighter is going to have a mithral breastplate on right :)
I want titanium full plate
Image Image

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17

Post by cave_lion » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:03 pm

scarymike23 wrote:In the interest of not making this thread 10 pages of arguing one rule, I suggest we take it over to here:
http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/pa ... thralArmor

We might even get an answer straight from the Paizo people.
Hey thanks SM for doing that--great idea. On a related note, I do plan on transporting all the good stuff out of this thread to the wiki so it will be easier to access when someone needs it. As an alphabetical listing. This Thread will be for open discussion and the "meat" will move to there.

I have absolutely no problem with people arguing with me, by the way. If you have a point you want to make and don't think I'm getting it--just keep hammering away until you are satisfied we are both on the same page. In any discussion where there are two opposing ideas someone is going to eventually be able to make or break their case--and like I said--I prefer you do that rather than just backing down and feeling resentful. No fun there at all... Worse case I may say I don't feel this will work in this campaign--DM's choice is always an option--but I will never do that in an arbitrary way. I have a deep seated need to make sense of my surroundings--the "because I said so" ruling is bad juju for me--so I don't use it on other people either.

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17

Re: Morale

Post by cave_lion » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:08 pm

There isn't really a setup for Morale checks in Pathfinder apparently. I do like to add a random effect to this possibility--so just to give you an idea--any time I consider a morale check is appropriate, I calculate (using the infinite power of my brain) a percentile chance for that to happen. In a group I roll this separately for each creature. Then, if at least one creature does bolt, I roll an additional chance that some or all of the rest of the group will panic and do the same (based on the character of the creatures.) I won't show these rolls in the game--but wanted you to have an idea of how it is done...

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:08 am

Considering the nature of PF goblins, making a roll would not be necessary anyhow. But still is good. If you like it, go for it. Cool.
Image Image

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17

Post by cave_lion » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:16 am

Duniagdra wrote:Considering the nature of PF goblins, making a roll would not be necessary anyhow. But still is good. If you like it, go for it. Cool.
Well let's just say in this particular case, my brain power came up with a very slim chance they would be hanging around for anymore abuse... But you never know with a roll--it's always good to have a chance for something weird to happen--makes things unpredictable.

greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON

Post by greg_BSCIS » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:26 am

Morale roll for NPC I agree with, however a forced Morale roll for PC, I disagree with. We know when to run or stay and fight - PC morale roll should be natural and let us decided what our morale is and not the dice... :)

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17

Post by cave_lion » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:31 am

greg_BSCIS wrote:Morale roll for NPC I agree with, however a forced Morale roll for PC, I disagree with. We know when to run or stay and fight - PC morale roll should be natural and let us decided what our morale is and not the dice... :)
oh sure--I would never do that--unless it was based on a magic effect or special ability that takes the PC's control away from them--but that would be a save that you would be rolling...

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17

Re: OOC Shadow post in 2 campaigns

Post by cave_lion » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:34 am

shai-hulud,
I just noticed that the shadow posts are not set as sticky posts in each campaign like it is in the main TWLD Forum. There doesn't seem to be a way to change this in the post (for me at least). Do you know of any way to fix that? If necessary, I would rather have it as an announcement that stays up at the top...

greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON

Post by greg_BSCIS » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:36 am

Roger, some DMs like full control and others are like you. Your thinking makes sense and we are all getting used to each other as players and DM and vice versa.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:38 am

Bigdredge is immune to mind effects.

Because I say he's immune.

Because that's how good I am.

Know me, love me, but don't touch me... you dirty little perv.
Image Image

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Re: OOC Shadow post in 2 campaigns

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:40 am

cave_lion wrote:shai-hulud,
I just noticed that the shadow posts are not set as sticky posts in each campaign like it is in the main TWLD Forum. There doesn't seem to be a way to change this in the post (for me at least). Do you know of any way to fix that? If necessary, I would rather have it as an announcement that stays up at the top...
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the forum likes shadow topics as announcements. I just tried everything I could think of, and the forum spurned all of my efforts. I'm gonna say, no, it is not possible.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:50 am

You should be able to make a post as an announcement for your whole forum. I thought I saw this somewhere, but I could be thinking of something else. :)
Image Image

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17

Post by cave_lion » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:21 pm

scarymike23 wrote:I'm really curious to see how combat plays out. I've never done PbP.
So what do you think so far Mike? (and the others who have never done PbP before...) Is it what you were expecting? See anything that could be done to improve it in the PbP format? I know we haven't gone very far--but figured I'd ask now while it is really new--that is when some really insightful ideas tend to pop up for some people.

I do intend on using the OOC Initiative Box for tracking outstanding bonuses/penalties during combat (things like spell affects/penalties for things going on/bonuses for whatever.)

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17

Post by cave_lion » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:52 pm

I have pulled all the rule stuff out of this topic and have started a page on the wiki here. I will periodically update the wiki with any new info--so if you have a question related to rules you can go there rather than having to flip through all the pages in the OOC Thread. If anyone else wants to add things (SM maybe--you have a good grip on providing snippets of rules to help everyone--which is very helpful), feel free--just try to stick to the same format so it is not confusing (alphabetical bold headers with info to follow.)

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17

Post by cave_lion » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:01 pm

I messed around looking for the thing duni mentioned for making a forum wide announcement. Thought I had found it with the "Global" option--but that apparently makes it Global on every forum at TOS :) So that didn't work.
And shai--messing with it made it disappear as shadow topics--which I could not figure out how to fix either unfortunately. Is that an option I don't have with my level of moderator? Or am I missing it somewhere... If it is not something I can do would you please redo that for everyone? (I'll give you that AP you used for Kheldon's missed attack back :D )

Just like that duni guy--stirring up trouble again... :P It's all his fault.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:09 pm

There always has to be someone to blame.
Image Image

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by scarymike23 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:08 pm

cave_lion wrote:I have pulled all the rule stuff out of this topic and have started a page on the wiki here. I will periodically update the wiki with any new info--so if you have a question related to rules you can go there rather than having to flip through all the pages in the OOC Thread. If anyone else wants to add things (SM maybe--you have a good grip on providing snippets of rules to help everyone--which is very helpful), feel free--just try to stick to the same format so it is not confusing (alphabetical bold headers with info to follow.)

I'm happy to help. I'm very strong with the rules.
-SM

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by scarymike23 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:11 pm

cave_lion wrote:
scarymike23 wrote:I'm really curious to see how combat plays out. I've never done PbP.
So what do you think so far Mike? (and the others who have never done PbP before...) Is it what you were expecting? See anything that could be done to improve it in the PbP format? I know we haven't gone very far--but figured I'd ask now while it is really new--that is when some really insightful ideas tend to pop up for some people.

I do intend on using the OOC Initiative Box for tracking outstanding bonuses/penalties during combat (things like spell affects/penalties for things going on/bonuses for whatever.)
To soon to tell really. I'm enjoying it, but its a serious adjustment to get used to the speed of it all. I'll try to answer this question better after we've had more than a round and a half. :)
-SM

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:24 pm

cave_lion wrote:I messed around looking for the thing duni mentioned for making a forum wide announcement. Thought I had found it with the "Global" option--but that apparently makes it Global on every forum at TOS :) So that didn't work.
And shai--messing with it made it disappear as shadow topics--which I could not figure out how to fix either unfortunately. Is that an option I don't have with my level of moderator? Or am I missing it somewhere... If it is not something I can do would you please redo that for everyone? (I'll give you that AP you used for Kheldon's missed attack back :D )

Just like that duni guy--stirring up trouble again... :P It's all his fault.
To make this topic a shadow topic:
  1. Go to the Moderator Control Panel for this forum
  2. Click on the check mark for this post
  3. Use the dropdown list at the bottom to select Move as the intended action.
  4. Select the subforum Group A as the destination. Uncheck the "Leave Shadow Topic" box.
  5. Go to the subforum Group A.
  6. Enter the Moderator Control Panel for Group A
  7. Click on the check mark for this post within Group A
  8. Use the dropdown list at the bottom to select Move as the intended action.
  9. Select the subforum Group B as the destination. Leave the "Leave Shadow Topic" box checked (so that there will be a shadow topic in Group A)
  10. Follow these steps in Group B, only change the destination back to the base forum, and now this topic is in the appropriate place with the two shadow topics in the correct forums.
I don't know a way to keep them as announcements, as I was hoping they could be.

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by scarymike23 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:01 pm

Cave Lion,

question about using action points...

If I make a roll, and I want to use an action point to add 1d6 to it, can I go back and edit my post as long as its before validation of the round?
-SM

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17

Post by cave_lion » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:26 pm

scarymike23 wrote:Cave Lion,

question about using action points...

If I make a roll, and I want to use an action point to add 1d6 to it, can I go back and edit my post as long as its before validation of the round?
Yes--you can change your post anytime up until I make an official validation in any way you choose. If I have time, I have been editing the initiative stats and map to reflect any changes as individuals make their posts--this is not an "official" validation though, and I can always go back and move things if something changes.

Mike, I did have a question about your action anyway--and using your technique--posted it on paizo here. As I suspected--there is a discrepancy between the Overrun and Charge techniques. It appears that the end "official" result is going to be not allowing any "Overrun" activity in a Charge. Which doesn't make sense to me. So I am going to modify these two Combat Maneuvers (CM) slightly:

Add this sentence to both techniques:
"A Charge can be implemented through an occupied square, if this square contains a non-engaged ally by using the Overrun CM."

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17

Post by cave_lion » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:31 pm

After thinking about it, I am going to go back to having separate OOC posts in each Campaign. There is information that is not relevant or could be considered "spoiler" being covered in them--so it is better to keep both groups separated. Now that I have the wiki Rule Clarifications, I can cut and paste any relevant info to that--so it can be used as a reference point rather than the OOC Thread (which covers multiple topics).

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Re: OOC Comments/Questions/Rule Clarifications (B)

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:10 pm

If a character is planning on taking a feat, but does not yet have it (nor its prerequisite), would you want us to roleplay practice for it? For instance, Nekki will take Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot at some point in time. Would you want her to practice trying to fire off two shots, losing one arrow automatically, and having only one attack roll? Or does practice like that happen during downtime, where the heroes don't try their new abilities until they feel confident in their attempts (once they have the feats)?

greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON

Post by greg_BSCIS » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:20 pm

I would say both training and practical application (aka combat)

Nothing better than OJT.

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17

Post by cave_lion » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:31 pm

shai-hulud wrote:If a character is planning on taking a feat, but does not yet have it (nor its prerequisite), would you want us to roleplay practice for it? For instance, Nekki will take Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot at some point in time. Would you want her to practice trying to fire off two shots, losing one arrow automatically, and having only one attack roll? Or does practice like that happen during downtime, where the heroes don't try their new abilities until they feel confident in their attempts (once they have the feats)?
This would definitely be something that would be worked on in off time--but I really like the training in combat idea. That makes all kinds of sense. I would even give her a small percentage chance of actually making the shot--which could increase up to the point where she actually gets the feat. When you start doing that let me know and I'll start rolling the percentage chance like I do with the adjacent ranged enemy chance... Keep in mind that all normal rules would apply (i.e., if a "full" attack is required you would need to follow that.)

I don't thing I mentioned, by the way, the adjacent enemy rule for ranged attacks does not apply to those who are not enemies. when this is the case (adjacent but not enemy)--the -4 to shot rule applies and then if there is a crit failure that may lead to friendly fire...

greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON

Post by greg_BSCIS » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 pm

Ooh, I need to start working on PBS to make sure my progression path is on target.

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat

Post by Arpat » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:10 am

OJT?
PBS?

wuts that?
sometimes i just hate abrevithingies..
Arpat

Return to “{PbP} TWLD: Group B”