B3) Into the Dungeon

Group B
Esselmonster
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:14 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by Esselmonster » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:14 pm

Bhen will let the others pass him and resumes his position at the rear.
OUT OF CHARACTER
And with combat finished, Bhen will re-draw the torch that Harpsent cast continual flame on.

 


cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by cave_lion » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Esselmonster wrote:Bhen will let the others pass him and resumes his position at the rear.
OUT OF CHARACTER
And with combat finished, Bhen will re-draw the torch that Harpsent cast continual flame on.

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
I totally forgot about the torch with continual flame on it :) All I remembered was Birag's throwing axe. But that's cool--I guess you decided Bhen had it tucked somewhere safe... I'll add that light to the map.
Greg--do you plan on maintaining the light spell or will you let that go out now? There are currently four light sources--Taedyn's sword, Birag's throwing axe, Harpsent, and Bhen's torch.

 


User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by greg_BSCIS » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:46 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
I was just going to post that I am going to maintain it. However, I am going to place it on my bow instead and have my bow out - and sheathing my sword. The spell lasts 10 minutes and I will recast every time I need to. That way if there is a conflict, I can stay close to Treye and be her guard during altercations. Besides multiple lights will be our benefit but of course be our burden since everyone will know we are coming.

 

Image
Image
Image

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Netherlands, Almere
Contact:

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by Arpat » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:54 am

Dordolio looks in amazement to the orcs and the dead body...
THINKING: Harpsent... lets follow the others and not bother the orcies
Dordolio quickly follows the others...
Image
Arpat

User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by greg_BSCIS » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:07 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Troubled with the Orc speaking common, Taedyn turns to Kenken and states...

 

Do you automatically detect "damaged ones" because it is not normal for an Orc that has not been exposed to civilization like Birag to speak common especially a lower ranked Orc?
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Round Rock, TX
Contact:

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by marine7312000 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:39 am

Birag looks at Taedyn with mild annoyance and says Who says they have not experienced civilization? Granted they are in here but there is no proof to show that they have never lived outside. One eats what one can when you're starving, so the fact that they ate a goblin is no proof of a lack of civilized life. I..... well let's just say that I've done worse. And those actions are between myself and Torag. Birag looks at Zanice and then moves into the room that Nekki is in.

User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by greg_BSCIS » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:34 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
With no show of emotion in his signature Cool and Calm voice

 

Hence the reason I said, "Normal". Yes, it is statistically possible for Orcs to be exposed to civilization. It is not of the norm like yourself and the Orc who spoke to us in common. In addition, remember our mission to seek out "damaged ones" that may be disguised. And I do recognized the reason why they did not attack us hence the reason I did not attack and asked the party to join me. Now let us see if they pay us a less desirable visit next time? Perhaps I am concerned for nothing and they respect us because of you and Zanice?
Last edited by greg_BSCIS on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 6006
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Meriden, CT

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:57 am

Nekki gives the door a cursory glance, and not noticing anything to be wary of, she excitedly attempts to open the door!

Perception (Traps) (1d20+8=9)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by cave_lion » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:43 pm

Taedyn wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Troubled with the Orc speaking common, Taedyn turns to Kenken and states...

 

Do you automatically detect "damaged ones" because it is not normal for an Orc that has not been exposed to civilization like Birag to speak common especially a lower ranked Orc?
Kenken talks to Taedyn and Treye as they walk up to the door Nekki is checking out. In most cases I will sense any damaged ones just by being near them. I can smell them. Ertigon warned me that there will be some who can hide themselves from my Scent ability and even a few who may be able to confuse my Blindsight. I doubt these Orcs are one of those. Why would a damaged one be hiding in such a pitiful creature? They have nothing to fear as far as they know. This prison is their kingdom. It is possible I guess--I'll go scan them. He flies off and stops about 40' away from the orcs (who don't appear to notice him.) He pauses for a few moments and then flies back to say They don't appear to be anything special.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I think you are metagaming a bit here Greg (making assumptions based on how orcs have been in other games you've played). On Golarion (Pathfinder Bestiary) orcs actually have "common" as a second language in their description. It will be unusual for an orc to not know common in most instances where Taedyn may have run across one in his past. So actually the fact that two of the orcs apparently don't speak common is more of an indicator than the other way around (he would guess they are from an isolated tribe who are not in contact with the majority of the common Golarion setting/or possibly that they may have been in the dungeon for a long time where common may not be as common. Given that one of them is clearly a Barbarian the first guess is likely more accurate.) This has got me thinking about knowledge checks regarding monsters--I will post how I intend to handle this in the OOC shortly.

 

Meanwhile; Nekki gives the door a cursory glance, and not noticing anything to be wary of, she excitedly attempts to open the door! [Perception (Traps) (1d20+8=9)]

As Nekki checks the door out she slides her hand along the rough wooden frame and draws back in pain as a splinter breaks off in her finger. She grimaces and pulls it out quickly, holding her breath as she does so. The door was not locked and opened easily when she pushed on it. The room is dark with a heavy smell of stale air. As the door opens Harpsent flies up into the room providing illumination.
For Nekki:
SpoilerShow
Harpsent says to you THINKING: I don't remember this room very well, but I think it has a secret door that leads to some living quarters to the East. Looks like something has been living in here! Ugh...
The room is pretty big--about 30 by 50--and has bits of dried grass as well as larger hunks laying all over the floor, as if a tornado recently tore through a meadow.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Status
all at full health
It is between 1 and 2pm, Moonday, 1st of Rova, 4708.

 


User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 6006
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Meriden, CT

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:48 pm

Quite excited, Nekki gives the Eastern-most walls a quick once-over to check for the secret door. If she can't find it quickly, she will take her time searching (Take 10 on the Perception check to get a 17). Should she not find it, she will take 20 instead, assuming no one wants to leave sooner. If Harpsent grants her additional information, she will use it to narrow her search.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by cave_lion » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:10 am

As Nekki steps into the room she gasps [Fortitude save (1d20+4=17)] and warns those behind her This room stinks horrible! Nekki manages to cover her mouth and nose with the clothing of her arm and continues into the room. There is a strong distinctive smell in this room, mixed with the smell of body odor and excrement.
OUT OF CHARACTER
The rest of the party who enters the room need to give me a Fortitude save to do so. Anyone can also do a "Knowledge, Nature" check to determine what the smell is and a PerC if searching.

 

Harpsent will float into the room following Nekki.
for Nekki:
SpoilerShow
THINKING: That door is somewhere over here Nekki. and he hovers in the correct area for your search--which is actually on the N wall
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 6006
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Meriden, CT

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:28 am

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by scarymike23 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:42 am

Zanice enters the room.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Fort save (please add +2 if its poison, spell or spell like ability due to the Hardy feature of dwarves) (1d20+6=22)

 

Its not so bad guys, no worse than the smells of Birag's dirty linens!
-SM

Esselmonster
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:14 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by Esselmonster » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:01 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Fortitude Save: 1d20+4=19

 


User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by greg_BSCIS » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:25 pm

Fortitude save for bad smelly room. (1d20+2=19)

Oh yuck, if anyone's linen smells this bad, they have issues!
Image
Image
Image


User avatar
Benji
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Portsmouth, England
Contact:

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by Benji » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:24 pm

Fortitude save (1d20+2=5)
OUT OF CHARACTER
I think Treye's about to lose her lunch :P

 

Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

User avatar
marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Round Rock, TX
Contact:

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by marine7312000 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:39 am

Birag moves into the room and says It's not my fault if my linens smell that bad. Laundry is one of Zanice's chores.
OUT OF CHARACTER
1d20+5=13

 


Arpat
Arpat
Arpat
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Netherlands, Almere
Contact:

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by Arpat » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:04 am

Dordolio enters the room,
when he picks up the bad smell he starts breathing through his mouth...
Nikki... what are you looking for?
Image
Arpat

User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by greg_BSCIS » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:39 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Does the room look like a lair or a toliet?

 

Image
Image
Image

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by cave_lion » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:42 am

Everyone tentatively enters the new room. Zanice was lying :) --the smell is much worse than Birag's dirty linens. But everyone tolerates it except Treye, whose delicate senses are quickly overwhelmed [see status below].

Dordolio enters the room, when he picks up the bad smell he starts breathing through his mouth... Nekki... what are you looking for?
OUT OF CHARACTER
I rolled Dordolio's Fortitude check Fortitude (1d20+2=16). He is not nauseated, but does now have hair growing on his tongue :lol:

 

Nekki successfully locates the secret door with Harpsent's help... Here it is! Look guys--a secret door! She is gushing with excitement...

Taedyn quickly traces the memory of the distinctive musky smell to an encounter he had as a young boy--he is quite certain that troglodytes were staying here. Given their uncivilized nature, they used the room not only as their sleeping place but for everything else, although they kept those activities to the southeastern corner. The smell of body odor along with the remnants of troglodyte stench are eye-wateringly powerful. The dried grass bits are remnants of reed mats that the troglodytes likely used as sleeping mats. You are not sure of why they are in such bad condition, but the fact that the beasts are no longer here, combined with the state of the mats, implies there was a battle in this room. Looking around briefly reveals dried drips and small pools of blood in various places, confirming this possibility.

Taedyn, along with Treye (between gasps of air) takes a few moments to give everyone a description of troglodytes for future reference:
This humanoid's scaly hide is dull gray. Its frame resembles that of a cave lizard, with a long tail and crests on its head and back. A typical troglodyte stands about 5 feet tall and weighs 150 pounds.

The troglodyte is a feral, savage cave dweller. They are among the most populous denizens of the upper reaches of the endless caverns of the underworld, equally at home raiding the settlements of those who dwell above or below ground, yet for all their race's fecundity and sprawl, as a whole they represent only a minor threat.

The troglodyte is one of the oldest of intelligent races, and ruins found in some remote caverns testify to the fact that their empire was once among the largest in the world. At the dawn of time, the troglodyte civilization was generations ahead of other humanoid races—while those races hid in caves and worshiped fire, the troglodytes raised vast cities of stone ziggurats and twisting canals, kept other races as slaves, and worshiped ancient and inhuman gods and demons. Yet as the other races evolved and grew increasingly civilized, they outstripped their onetime troglodyte oppressors. Today, the roles have changed—now it is the troglodyte that hides in caves and lives the life of a feral savage.

Religion is strong among troglodyte tribes, and their shamans and priests are universally the highest regarded members of a clan. A troglodyte chieftain is not always a cleric or druid, but those who do not have divine power are usually mere mouthpieces and puppet lords that answer to the beck and call of the local seer or shaman. Troglodytes generally worship one of the countless demon lords, particularly those of a reptilian or primeval shape and form.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Status
Treye: nauseated (unable to attack, cast spells, or do anything else requiring concentration; can only take a single move action per turn).
It is between 1 and 2pm, Moonday, 1st of Rova, 4708.

A few housekeeping issues...
Arpat--Dordolio's link with Harpsent is better than the typical familiar link. It is fully telepathic--meaning your thoughts are "merged" (unless either of you specifically shuts it down). When Harpsent "speaks" to anyone else, you will know what he is saying--and you will know who he is saying it to (unless whoever is being spoken to is out of sight and you have never met the creature--then you will have a vague idea of the creature--unless you activate the clairvoyant link--in which case you will see what Harpsent is seeing.) The reverse is also true for Harpsent--he will know what you are saying and to who, even if the two of you are separated--up to the distance of the familiar link (which is 1 mile.) I just noticed I failed to put the Bonded items on the tos sheet for Harpsent--I'll fix that sometime soon for you... And I will work on making sure you know which spoilers are ok to read through Harpsent.
shai (and anyone else looking to do secret door checks)--I had to make a decision when this Campaign began to go with maps that did not reveal all secret door location/but were very bad resolutions (blurry)--or make my own scanned maps at a higher resolution using the maps that came with the game (which have the secret door/secret locations shown everywhere.) As you will be noticing--I chose to use better maps. Because Harpsent is available to the party, who has a pretty solid memory of the entire dungeon (given he has been floating around in it for 1000's of years), I am not concerned with the usual hide and seek of secret door finding. They will all be on the map--and you will know where they are because of Harpsent. So we can just assume that the scenario between Harpsent and Nekki where they just found the current secret door, happens whenever there is a secret door. This can be role played as desired, but roll checks are not necessary to find secret locations. This is not to say Nekki's skills will not be needed--Harpsent does not know other things about the dungeon--most importantly he does not know the current trap situation. In some cases I may give an assistance bonus to find and/or locate traps (the typical +2) if Harpsent is aware of anything--but many of the traps have changed over time, so his knowledge of that is much more limited (and he is a Lantern Archon--meaning he has an intelligence of 6...)

To open a standard secret door (as described here), assuming it is unlocked, takes a DC12 Strength Check (DC16 if Small like Nekki)

 


User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 6006
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Meriden, CT

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Well, Nekki is pretty sure that troglodytes sound like they could have some interesting traps set. So, my roll is a 23 for searching for traps (unless you want me to roll again). Nekki has a +1 to Perception to locate traps.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Netherlands, Almere
Contact:

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by Arpat » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:12 pm

Dordolio get's exited too!
Secret doors are good stuff for songs and adventures...
troggelthingies as well... but they smell really bad. not good for a song....
Nikki, can you get the door open?
Image
Arpat

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by cave_lion » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:23 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Nekki is pretty darn sure there are no traps on this secret door. From the looks of traffic patterns in this room, how things are laid out and how the debris is strewn around, it would be a safe bet to assume that the trogs didn't even use this door. It also does not appear to have any obvious locking mechanism--it just slides open or shut on its pivot if you push it (and succeed in the strength check.)

 


User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 6006
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Meriden, CT

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:35 pm

Nekki gives a go at the door. Kheldon laughs at her feeble attempt, and makes the strength check instead. Nekki is aiding his attempt.

Kheldon's Strength check and Nekki's Strength check (aiding another DC 10) (1d20+1=8, 1d20+2=5)

Nekki struggles for one round, with Kheldon secretly doing most of the work. Kheldon gets better footing, and tries again:

Kheldon's Strength check and Nekki's Strength check (aiding another DC 10) (1d20+1=21, 1d20+2=6)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

cave_lion
Divine Rank 17
Divine Rank 17
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by cave_lion » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Nekki and Kheldon eventually get the secret door to slide open. A gentle stream of warm refreshing air moves over them, coming from the newly discovered space. Birag and Zanice are standing behind the wolf and halfling, watching with their mouths hanging open. When the door finally opens they look at each other and Birag starts to say something...then thinks better of it and begins to walk up to the opening What's in there Nekki? Anything moving?

Treye has stayed as long as she could, but had to run out of room through the other doorway to get some regular cold damp dungeon air (instead of nauseating stale fecal air.) She will feel better in a short while, but is pretty sure the only way she will go back into that room is holding her nose shut and not breathing at all. Birag if that is what your linens smell like we need to burn them immediately!

The newly discovered room has not been occupied for a long time--there is a fine layer of dust over everything in it, including the floor. It is a comfortable temperature here, much different from the other rooms the party has been in to this point. The portion of the room that is visible contains a table and 3 chairs. Nothing is moving in the room that anyone can see.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Status
Treye: nauseated (unable to attack, cast spells, or do anything else requiring concentration; can only take a single move action per turn).
It is between 1 and 2pm, Moonday, 1st of Rova, 4708.

 

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by greg_BSCIS » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:38 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Taedyn will stay behind with Treye until she can either hold her cookies or make dash for the room behind the secret door.

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
While standing with Treye I just scan the Trog room to see if there is anything of interest.

 

Untrained Perception roll (1d20+1=19)
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Benji
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Portsmouth, England
Contact:

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by Benji » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:50 pm

Treye stands outside the room, leaning against the wall and trying to gulp down as much fresh air as she can. Ye GODS! She exclaims in a dainty voice. Not even an hour in to this place and I'm already regretting it!

She stays outside the room, using her connection with Kenken to see what is going on.

When Taedyn arrives...

Thank you for waiting with me, Taedyn, but I'll be all right soon.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by scarymike23 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:52 pm

Let us take a look...

Zanice grabs Birag and walks through the secret door and into the room to take a closer look.
-SM

User avatar
greg_BSCIS
BARON
BARON
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: B3) Into the Dungeon

Post by greg_BSCIS » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:59 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Taedyn looks into Treye's eyes...

 

Are you ok? I will wait with you until you are ready. [smile] Definitely a most displeasing smell.
Image
Image
Image

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} TWLD: Group B”