CoD: Mission - Destroy the Lich Queen [ENDED]

Active Missions are posted in this section; One Mission per Thread
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

CoD: Mission - Destroy the Lich Queen [ENDED]

Post by shai-hulud » Sun May 02, 2010 5:59 pm

Introduction: A meeting with Reagent Moranna ir'Wynarn

With her gray hair tight in a bun, you might first mistake this matronly woman for a typical Karrn courtier. But then you notice the corded muscles in her forearms and the faint blade-scars on her face. Welcome, saviors of Karrnath, she says, motioning with her bony hand in your direction. Come with me, and let us discuss your plans. You are to meet your King today, but he is a busy man. Before you parlay with him, you must all entertain a uniform strategy. My nephew's time is quite limited, as you well know. She sizes up everyone present.

First, for those of you not yet in the know, you have been assembled as Karrnath's brightest and best. You are to assault the castle Illmarrow in the Lhazaar Principalities. Once you gain entry to the castle's inner keep, you are to find Lady Vol, the lich queen, and defeat her. Once you have done so, you must discover her phylactery and destroy it. You will be provided an air ship to transport you to her island, Farlnen. From there, you are on your own. What plans do you have for this most vital of missions?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: CoD: New Mission - Destroy the Lich Queen

Post by Duniagdra » Sun May 02, 2010 7:06 pm

I have the means of acquiring steeds that may help us blend in better once there. With all do respect though, I'm not comfortable with spilling out a plan of attack with more than the people I intend on joining in battle. The fewer that know, the less it becomes known to others. How many people know of our mission as of now? Asks the Litorian directly and mater-of-fact.

Retrieving a map showing the lay of the land, and structures and places would be preferable as well before leaving. If not, then we'll have to do so once there.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by kabkal » Sun May 02, 2010 7:47 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
A couple of start up questions: Who and how many of us are there? Do we know each other, or is this the first time meeting.

I know of a (pause as thinking to come up with the correct words) friend who might be able to help us. He is located in the Crimson Monastery. He may have some information as well as might be willing to help us in the quest. Maybe we should head their first.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
Image Gerbull: Tortle Barbarian

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sun May 02, 2010 9:33 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Those present are the ones who replied that they wished to join. I am assuming that the party knows each other, and has already had introductions. You will have the opportunity to meet further once the mission is underway. The main speaker is the Reagent Moranna ir'Wynarn, the aunt of King Kaius III, who ruled Karrnath for several years until Kaius was old enough to assume the crown. She has been the second in command ever since he took the throne. Other than her, it is just the five of you. Names are not required yet. Introductions will come later.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon May 03, 2010 3:43 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Little update on this: Once a uniform strategy is decided, the mission will move into the Mission area. Currently, this is the set-up to determine how the characters want the mission to proceed. Once the characters have decided upon a plan of attack (I have offered several possible hooks), the mission will proceed rather smoothly. Only one hook is required. If you want to attempt multiple things at once, a small contingent of Karrnathi forces will be provided to contact certain individuals to maximize your efforts. The idea is, once you have investigated any leads you have currently, the mission begins on the airship to your final destination.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Mon May 03, 2010 9:26 am

In response to [whoever kabkal's character is], Tanith says, The Crimson Monestary? Strange that you would have a contact there, since it is precisely where Lady Vol's rituals of undead creation take place, under the supervision of her second-in-command, the mummy Malevanor! I would use caution before trusting anyone in that place. Their information could lead us straight into a trap.

If we really need an ally -- and I am not sure why we would -- I know of a lich cleric in Sharn who is devoted to the Keeper and has been in direct conflict with the Blood of Vol. Probably a more trustworthy source of information that might aid in ensuring Lady Vol's demise than any contact found right inside her ranks.

For the main, though, all this talk and planning seems unnecessarily boring. Let's just GO and DO, bringing gorgeous destruction upon Vol and her followers!
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Mon May 03, 2010 9:28 am

After hearing two speak up after him, the Litorian speaks again.
Lady Reagent, I know of some druids blighting the landscape and one of them most importantly spawning horrid creatures in the service of this cult of Vol. I wish to seek this out, the druids, and eliminate them, or at least their most powerful, the one spawning these creatures.
There is also an Illithid I know of who has direct ties to this cult too.
There are also creatures resembling beholders that I've learned hold some tie to this cult's experiments.
I feel addressing these three, or even any of these three, would not only upset the hold this cult has, but also unbalance the power this queen wields of the area.
Image Image

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by kabkal » Mon May 03, 2010 10:41 am

Morid, Looks to Litorian, "Druids spawning creatures, interesting. I would be willing to go there first and not only eliminate the threat, but study their ways, not to put into practice mind you, but as a scholar. I agree, off to the druids."

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Mon May 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Targets! Good! Let's go destroy them! Tanith comments with great enthusiasm, waving her trident around haphazardly.

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:30 am

Kazmuk listens to what the others have to say and then states Well this plannin is all well and good but we need ta make some decision now. Ay'm pretty sure our King is busy and wants to see us on our way. Ay say we go after these druids and figure out what's goin on there.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Tue May 04, 2010 8:50 am

Looking to those gathered, Good. Then we go after the Druids, extract all the information we can from them, and resolve one part of the Lich Queen's strength.
Image Image

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Wed May 05, 2010 11:30 am

San'Trigay yawns obviously after all the talk and immediately pounces on the idea of killing some druids. Good. We go. We kill. We loot. Eldritch energy crackles across his fingertips as he grins.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Thu May 06, 2010 11:38 pm

Moranna smiles at the group. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I am wary to send any against groups loyal to Vol while our plans to defeat Vol herself are still underway. Right now, we are trying to maintain the element of surprise. Our intelligence agents have gained the upper hand, and we know that Vol is not expecting an attack. If you have personal knowledge of individuals we should attack while your mission is progressing, a multi-headed assault on several levels of the faith of Vol would likely have a greater impact than a single assault. For that reason, I appreciate any and all advice that you have regarding potential allies and other fronts we should engage.

You mention an ally at the Crimson Monastery. Who might this be? We have a few agents of our own located there, so it is possible that you know of one of them. If that is the case, then clearly our infiltrator has gotten sloppy and should be removed from there and reprimanded.

As for an ally in Sharn, I have heard of the lich who resides there, but I was not aware of his confrontations with the Blood of Vol. I shall look into this and send agents devoted to the Keeper to attempt to parley with him.

And finally, as to the issue of the druids, I am not aware of their culture. What, specifically, is the nature of the creatures being created?

Over the course of the next few minutes, the Litorian provides an overview of the creatures prior to their transformation into creatures beyond life. House Vidalis has perfected a technique of breeding stronger, better animals. The Gatekeepers have discovered breeding techniques to create animals with ferocious acidic attacks. The druid who turned to Vol and became a blighter knew the secrets of both of these techniques. The undead creations are twisted versions of these incredibly powerful animals. Unfortunately, the Litorian would not know the effects of undeath upon the animals, as he does not possess the knowledge of religion required to make any conjectures. Moranna, however, is able to fill in a little more information, There have been rumors surrounding Illmarrow castle recently. One of our intelligence agents managed to breach their security. Unfortunately, he died after sending only one report. He said that the elements don't seem to affect the undead the way they should. He was attempting further research before he was discovered and turned into an undead double agent. My guess would be that he was witness to the effects of this druid's handiwork. If you need some protection from acidic attacks, the Karrnathi treasury is prepared to expend some resources towards this goal.

After the explanation, however, Moranna begins a stern diatribe about the dangers of the party engaging in any direct action against Vol before they arrive at Illmarrow. Any preparation or information gathering they require can be accomplished by agents loyal to Karrnath. The specifics of the mission will be known only to Moranna and King Kaius.

Does the group have anything else they wish to discuss with Moranna, or any other preparations they wish to make?

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by kabkal » Sun May 09, 2010 7:26 pm

The ally I know of at the Crimson Monastery is a dragon called Rovichalidac. He has been in contact with the council of dragons from Argonnessen. He still may be able to give us information and help us.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Sun May 09, 2010 7:45 pm

If there's free protection from acid to be had, we'll take it, says Tanith, Otherwise, I think it is time to be off killing something.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Sun May 09, 2010 7:50 pm

I'm as ready as I'll ever be.
Image Image

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Mon May 10, 2010 5:53 am

Dragons, eh? San'Trigay says. Y'know, they'd probably be willing to help out. From what I've heard, they bear no love for Vol. Besides, nothing quite says 'We mean business' like a flight of dragons blowing up a castle.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon May 10, 2010 10:53 am

Moranna nods at the new information. We have teams prepared to teleport to these locations immediately. Unfortunately, the entirety of Farlnen is blocked by some Dimensional Anchor effect, or we would teleport you there. We will have our artificers produce items for you to protect yourselves against acid. Tannith, would a staff possessing the appropriate spell suffice? We possess a schema that will allow us to produce the staff in a single day. Should you desire a different item, we would need to negotiate with House Cannith for more persistent items, which could take a few days longer.

In the meantime, I will tell my nephew that we have some additional avenues to explore, and your meeting with him will be postponed until tomorrow. Until then, we have a training simulation available for you to run through. Our best illusionists have been preparing it.

You are all led to the training area where your skills are honed using some of the most elaborate illusions you have ever seen. After a good night's rest, you are gathered before Moranna again.

The reagent begins, Well, your intelligence was spot on, it seems. With only small pieces of information, the dragons were capable of determining the entirety of our plans. They claim that prophecy requires they provide no direct support in our endeavor. Apparently, should they intervene directly, the Lich Queen is sure to succeed. The specifics behind this are 'beyond our mortal ability to grasp', which I believe is the dragon way of saying that we are stupid and they are not. Still, they have offered indirect support. They have provided each of you with a Talisman of Second Life. Rovichalidac went into some rather explicit instructions as to its use. Basically, it boils down to if you are defeated in combat, the talisman will immediately restore your life, as though you had not been struck at all, removing all adverse conditions effecting you. Unfortunately, it will remove any positive ones, as well. To prevent the talisman from functioning, simply place it into an extradimensional space, and it will not have any effect.

Gath, on the other hand, was able to provide us with some interesting information. I am not sure what we can make of this, as the specifics are rather cryptic. Gath claims that he sides with the true Lady Vol, and the lich of Illmarrow is a fraudulent usurper. He claims that the true Lady Vol should sit at the Keeper's right hand, and his service to her would be eternal. Our intelligence agents are unsure what this means or how it may be useful in the coming battle. Beyond that, Gath was unwilling to provide us with any assistance.

OUT OF CHARACTER
San'Trigay is the only one capable of rolling for this. He may roll 1d20+11 to see if he knows anything more than has already been described. Feel free to add an action point to the roll.

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Re: CoD: Mission - Destroy the Lich Queen

Post by Benji » Tue May 11, 2010 5:57 am

Knowledge:?? (1d20+11=23)

San'Trigay racks his brains, trying to recall if he knows anything about this.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Tue May 11, 2010 6:35 am

San'Trigay remembers something, whether it may be helpful or not is unknown:
SpoilerShow
According to studies about the lich transformation, when a lich transfers its soul to its phylactery, the process is unable to fully keep the soul from Dolurrh. Only a portion of the soul is actually transferred to the phylactery. The process actually rips the soul in half. While enough of the soul remains to grant the lich full control over its unlife, the missing portion is the part of their essence capable of growth, frequently causing liches to be "stuck" in the moment in which their unlife began. This means that the portion of the lich's soul that is stuck in Dolurrh, which is irrevocably tied to the portion remaining on the Material plane, may very well be in horror as to the extent to which its undead counterpart has violated the fabric of the material plane.

It may be that a part of defeating the lich queen will involve finding her soul in Dolurrh and discovering how to reunite it with the portion that remains in the Material Plane.

Reference:
Dolurrh, the Realm of the Dead
A place of hopelessness, eternal despair, and consuming apathy, Dolurrh is the realm where mortal souls go after death. It is not a reward. It is not a punishment. It just is. Dolurrh has the following traits:
  • Heavy gravity.
  • Timeless.
  • Impeded magic: All spells are impeded.
  • Entrapping: A visitor to Dolurrh experiences increasing apathy and despair while there. Colors become grayer and less vivid, sounds duller, and all experiences tainted with ennui. At the conclusion of every day (of subjective time) spent in Dolurrh, any nonnative must make a Will saving throw (DC 15 + the number of consecutive days in Dolurrh). Failure indicates that the individual has fallen entirely under the control of the plane, becoming an incorporeal shade, an outsider native of the plane. Travelers trapped by Dolurrh cannot leave the plane of their own volition and have no desire to do so. Memories of any previous life fade into nothingness, and it takes a wish or a miracle spell to return them.
Dolurrh Inhabitants: Nalfeshnee (demon), lemure (devil), marut (inevitable).
Monster Manual III: Sorrowsworn (demon), ephemeral swarm, plague brush.
Coterminous: When Dolurrh is coterminous, slippage can sometimes occur between the Material Plane and the Realm of the Dead. Ghosts become common on Eberron because it is as easy for spirits to remain in the world of the living as it is for them to pass to Dolurrh. Spells to bring back the dead work normally, but run the risk of calling back more spirits than the one desired.
Dolurrh is coterminous for a period of one year every century, precisely fifty years after each period of being remote.
Remote: When Dolurrh is remote, spells that bring back the dead do not function, and it is impossible to reach Dolurrh by means of plane shift. Only by journeying to Dolurrh (using astral projection, gate, or a permanent portal to the plane), finding the soul of the deceased, and bringing it back to the Material Plane can a deceased
character be returned to life during this period. Once the soul is back on the Material Plane, no further magic is required to restore the dead to life. Both nalfeshnees and maruts frown on having souls retrieved in this manner, however. Dolurrh is remote for a period of one year every century, precisely fifty years after each coterminous phase.

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Tue May 11, 2010 2:27 pm

San'Trigay scratches at a scaly part of skin before speaking up again. Could be that this other Lady Vol who Gath likes was the remaining part of her spirit or something... He tries to think up a way to explain it simply. Basically, when she died, she got split into two. One went on to become the lich queen, the other should have stayed locked in Dolurrh. Now whether it's been restored to life, or Gath likes to make regular pilgrimages to see dead people, I dunno. What I do know, however, is that it would take something far greater than a pissed off skeleton to make me want to go there willingly.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Tue May 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Looking to San, the Litorian says, She got split in two when she died? You mean her spirit? How does a spirit get split in two? It does not matter to me. The simple truth is that she is an abomination to life and needs to be put fully to death.
Image Image

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Tue May 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Tanith nods as she responds tersely to Moranna, Protective staff good. Talisman of Second Life even better.

With more bravado, she comments on San'Trigay's information, Whatever we must do or wherever we must go, I am certain we will accomplish what is required, reaping destruction in the effort!

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by kabkal » Tue May 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Morid takes the amulet, "Thank you"

Looks to the group, "Where shall we head, time is ticking the longer we sit here."

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:43 am

Kazmuk grins grimly as he says The sooner we can get ta this Lich Queen an kill 'er the better fer all o us.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed May 12, 2010 7:39 pm

Moranna agrees, Yes, it is high time that you meet your king. Follow me.

With a grace befit a woman half her age, the Reagent leads the group across the hallway to the King's private office chamber. Entering his office, the monarch before you practically radiates a patient calm. His every move seems deliberate and economical as he slides a piece across the conqueror board next to him before speaking. You have arrived, he says. Guards! Take your leave. His personal guards leave the office as ordered.

I wonder, he begins, how Karrnath can ever reward those who will undertake such a crucial mission. He looks at each individual in the eyes, his penetrating gaze seemingly capable of dominating even the most powerful of wills. What is it that you desire? he asks.

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by kabkal » Wed May 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Morid looks at the king, and then around at the others in the group, and then back to the king. I seek to learn and to rid this world of evil. Mindy you if gold were to fall into my lap while this education takes place I would not complain. But learning is the most important thing to me.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Wed May 12, 2010 8:25 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Channeling CGM3 and his word-Naziness: reagent versus regent

Tanith cackles like a crazy person, I desire nothing more the glorious destruction of the plotting witch Vol and her entire domain! When the huddled masses learn of the devastation visited upon her and discover that Tanith the Tempest was the agent of that fury, they will both rejoice and quake with fear!

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Kazmuk bows his head deferentially to the King as he saysAy simply wish to rid the world of yet another evil creature Sire.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Thu May 13, 2010 9:51 am

With a bow of respect to the position, yet not in submission, the litorian rises.

My reward will come when my people can walk without suspicion of being something we are not. As for payment in completing this mission, my ears are yours. I give my word, as a Litorian, that I will succeed, or die trying.

Anything the crown feels we may need to better improve our odds will not be refused.
Image Image

Return to “{PbP} CoD: Mission Area”