CoD: Mission - Destroy the Lich Queen (Airship) [ENDED]

Active Missions are posted in this section; One Mission per Thread
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

CoD: Mission - Destroy the Lich Queen (Airship) [ENDED]

Post by shai-hulud » Sun May 16, 2010 11:25 pm

The party makes final preparations. They receive the staff promised. It has 50 charges. The staff can only be used by a cleric, and additionally, it can only be used by one possessing the ability to rebuke undead. For one charge, it casts Energy Immunity (Acid). For three charges, it casts Energy Immunity, allowing the cleric to choose the type of immunity it grants. Also for three charges, it can cast Mass Energy Immunity (Acid) with up to five targets. Finally, for three charges, it can cast Mass Death Ward.

Using the contacts provided by Alydiuss Mane, the entire party is provided a Magebred Hoary Steed each to ride (should they desire) to gain entrance to the castle. The steeds are stabled on the airship. The party meets the crew. The captain is Calynden d'Lyrandar. Apparently, he volunteered to pilot the airship. He doesn't care where it is going nor why. He will pilot it anywhere. Apparently, Karrnathi intelligence agents have cleared him to pilot the ship, even with this rather suspicious volunteer. He is a resident of Stormreach (and in fact the leader of the House Lyrandar enclave there), and should be kept as much out of the loop as possible.

His crew are seemingly capable. They are a bit standoffish, though. They don't seem to understand why they were volunteered to pilot to an unknown destination.

Given that Alydiuss Mane is the most knowledgeable, he is given the responsibility of navigator, another reason why the crew is distrustful of the party.

When the party arrives, they are greeted warmly by Calynden, Welcome to my vessel! I call her the Cyclone. Please, come aboard and take a look around.
OUT OF CHARACTER
This is the time for introductions. The details of the ship are unimportant. Consider the airship to be like a normal galleon, only flying. The ship is truly massive, although extremely speedy. It is also armed to the hilt (there is enough firepower on board to take down a small castle).

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Re: CoD: Mission - Destroy the Lich Queen (Airship)

Post by Benji » Mon May 17, 2010 4:57 am

Still thinking about the offer of becoming a Warlord, San'Trigay is silent as he walks on to the airship. He immediately finds a place by a rail and stares into the horizon.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Mon May 17, 2010 6:40 am

Presiding as lord over a parcel of land and people gives Alydiuss something to think about. He could attract several mates and have litters and all could gain noble standing. For his people, he and his acknowledged as nobility by humans could have something. Then there's also collecting taxes, always the messy business. There's the cost involved in be lord of any land, employing people for upkeep, tax collection, protection and security...

Alydiuss shakes his head. What does it matter, and what holds more value, the five hundred thousand gold, or a lifetime of noble standing and all that the title includes? How long would it be for the five hundred thousand to be paid out?

Again, Alydiuss shakes his head. It doesn't matter now. First he must survive the mission, and complete it. He's not been on an airship. He feels uneasy having the ground so far below. The ride is not easy. Turbulence one of the crew said. What is turbulence...

Alydiuss looks off to the distant sky ahead standing on the upper deck. There's time to kill...

To anyone else, it seems as Alydiuss is dancing with himself, his form is clean and precise, smooth and fluid. He waves his hands about, open, fingers straight, stiff, as if blades. A foot sweep one way brings his body another way, whoosh swings an arm. His eyes close as he continues in an area clear of anything. His tail sways with a mind its own.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Mon May 17, 2010 9:50 am

Tanith is intrigued by the idea of being called Warlord, but really doesn't think deeply about the decision beyond that. She points out to whoever's listening that she cannot use the staff. She wonders if there's someone in the party who can.
OUT OF CHARACTER
[quote]The staff can only be used by a cleric, and additionally, it can only be used by one possessing the ability to rebuke undead.[/quote]

Tanith doesn't meet either of those criteria.

Tanith is fascinated by the Cyclone, both because it flies and because of it's exciting array of weapons, The Cyclone! she says to the pilot, A fine name for such an impressive vessel. I am sometimes called the Tempest, myself, for I am empowered with similar destructive force.

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by kabkal » Mon May 17, 2010 11:33 pm

Morid finds a spot by a window (if there is one) and stares out, not blinking. He appears to be in a trance just taking in the view.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Morid, is actually paying 100% attention to everything going on.

Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image Coty: Gnome/Summoner
ImageBART 1173:Andriod/Pisterol

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Tue May 18, 2010 11:53 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
There is indeed a party member capable of using the staff. San'Trigay is the only one capable of using it.

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Wed May 19, 2010 12:02 pm

shai-hulud wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
There is indeed a party member capable of using the staff. San'Trigay is the only one capable of using it.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Yes, I have Use Magic Device if that is what you mean. I didn't speak up earlier because I assumed it was meant for Tanith.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri May 21, 2010 11:43 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Well, I did mislead a little. It doesn't necessarily require a cleric. It requires divine casting, so Tannith or Kazmuk would have been able to meet that requirement, but it requires the ability to Rebuke Undead, so if Kazmuk had gone Bone Knight instead of Dwarven Defender, he would have qualified ;).

I will update Sunday regardless of who has posted. Just FYI

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon May 24, 2010 3:55 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry for the delay. I was hoping marine would return. Seems he is still in process during his move. I'll continue without him.

The captain replies, I know well your reputation, Stormlord. The Devourer has blessed me only with my mark, and for that, I am known as "the Kraken". But you, clearly, have access to far greater powers than I could ever hope to achieve. I am honored to be in your service.

The aloof crew and the aloof party members seem rather apt for each other as they practically avoid contact during the trip. The airship is extremely speedy, and makes a quick journey across the continent. In four days time, the group enters the demesne of the Pirate Princes. On alert and at the ready, the crew searches for pirates seeking to raid the vessel, but the Cyclone makes its way unnoticed. Erelong, they arrive at their destination, the frozen island where the lich queen resides. The weather is extremely cold. Those not prepared for these frozen reaches may find themselves aching from the bitter cold. Illmarrow Castle is not yet visible, allowing the party to make their approach unnoticed. The airship will park on the island and wait ten days. Should the party not return within that time, they will be assumed dead and left.

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by kabkal » Mon May 24, 2010 7:15 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
I did not realize we were going to an ice place, but I am sure Morid would have, I will prepare 6 endure elements spells and cast them on those that need them.

"Anyone want to keep warm while we walk about?"

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Mon May 24, 2010 10:21 pm

Tanith replies somewhat haughtily, I need no such insignificant magics...
OUT OF CHARACTER
Tanith has resistance to cold 10 plus the endurance feat, so Morid can save himself a prepared spell slot.

Any chance there's a blizzard underway? Tanith would like that :)

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Mon May 24, 2010 11:53 pm

Yes. I'd most appreciate that.
Image Image

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Tue May 25, 2010 8:17 am

San'Trigay shrugs and lines himself up for a spell. The staff will be strapped to his back, whilst he keeps his scepter in his hands.

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by kabkal » Tue May 25, 2010 10:24 am

Morid will cast the spell on those that request endure elements.
OUT OF CHARACTER
So far that is 3 spells, including himself.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sun May 30, 2010 2:25 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry for the delay. My uncle had a heart attack. It looks to be fairly serious. This is his third heart attack in two months. Apparently, his doctors did not discover an arrhythmia. He lives in NYC, so the ambulance took 12 minutes to get to him. His heart stopped, but he was receiving CPR pretty much right from the beginning. The doctors believe there may be brain damage, but they cannot be certain. They had him in an induced coma until today, but he was not alert enough to have visitors. He might be alert enough by Monday, but given the fact that he is taking so long to come to, his prognosis does not look good.

The half-silver dragon dwarf Kazmuk Silverkin says, My scales provide me all the protection I need from the cold. Shall we take the Hoary Steeds? Or do any of you possess alternate means of transportation? Morid, would you lead the way to Illmarrow?
OUT OF CHARACTER
Once the party decides on a mode of transportation, I'll be ready to validate again.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Sun May 30, 2010 10:15 am

Horses good! says Tanith.

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by kabkal » Sun May 30, 2010 6:24 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Shai-hulud, sorry to hear about your uncle.

After the airship lands, Morid will stay on and be the last off. As you wait, a beautiful young lady appears, "Horses will be good, I will be happy to lead the way." You recognize the voice to be a female version of Morid, and the eyes are strangely familiar, but you are not sure.

Morid will then cast Find the Path and concentrate on the castle. "We need to go this way." Pointing in the direction the spell leads him (or is it her?).

For Shai-hulud:
SpoilerShow
While on the airship after all get off, Morid will wild shape into Silver dragon and then polymorph into the girl.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Sun May 30, 2010 8:48 pm

I have a contact that I can get hoary steeds from.
Image Image

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Mon May 31, 2010 7:38 am

Well lets get on our way then. replies Kazmuk.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon May 31, 2010 9:22 pm

Duniagdra wrote:I have a contact that I can get hoary steeds from.
OUT OF CHARACTER
As indicated in the first post, the contacts have already been contacted, and the Magebred Hoary Steeds are on board the airship, awaiting riding. Does everyone want a steed, or does anyone desire to use alternative transportation.

kabkal wrote:Morid will then cast Find the Path and concentrate on the castle. "We need to go this way." Pointing in the direction the spell leads him (or is it her?).
OUT OF CHARACTER
Strangely, Morid's spell fails to accomplish its goal. This seems to indicate a dimensional issue. Apparently, Illmarrow Castle is not located on the Material plane.

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by kabkal » Mon May 31, 2010 11:03 pm

"I am sorry, but I cannot locate the castle in the normal means. We will have to search the good old fashioned way. Anyone have any ideas?"

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:18 am

Alydiuss mounts on the hoary and is ready to get under way.
Whenever you're ready, we can go. I think maybe finding locals, one or two preferred, and interrogating him/them would get us the information we desire.
Image Image

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:38 am

San'Trigay grins at the sound of interrogation, but otherwise doesn't speak as he lets the other choose the means.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:00 am

Tanith will also ride a hoary steed. She agrees with Alydiuss, Yes, yes, that sounds like a cunning plan. Now let's move.

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by kabkal » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:42 pm

After looking at the hoary steed, morid looks a bit nervous. "I am not sure of this. Maybe I will just fly instead." And where the lady was standing, is now a majestic looking eagle. He turns his head, looking at each of you, stretches his wings and the lifts to the air, not so high as to draw attention, but high enough to fly comfortably.

to Shai-hulud:
SpoilerShow
This is the 2nd of 5 shape changes for Morid.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:59 am

kabkal wrote:
SpoilerShow
This is the 2nd of 5 shape changes for Morid.
SpoilerShow
Silver dragons have excellent fly speeds ;), as well as immunity to cold.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:08 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry for the delay. There has been quite a bit going on here with my uncle and summer classes. Over the next few weeks, I'm sorry to say, this mission may go quite slowly, but should pick up again in July.

Mounting the steeds the party sets off with Morid trailing behind, as an Eagle, unable to match the rapid pace of the hoary steeds. Either the group slows to meet the speed that Morid sets or he drops the eagle form to remain in Silver Dragon form. Either way, the party progresses across the island. Within minutes, they enter a blizzard and the strong winds threaten to dismount the party.

San'Trigay notices something unusual about the blizzard. The blizzard changes drastically immediately after entering it. The strength of the blizzard now would suggest that the party has passed through a manifest zone to Risia, the plane of Ice. Likely backtracking would allow the party to flee the area of the blizzard, but given the fact that Morid's spell failed and this new knowledge of their current location, this seems to be the correct path, so turning around would not be advised.

While the immediate consensus may have been to turn around, the party eventually agrees to press onward (either leaving the blizzard and having San'Trigay explain his discovery, or immediately perhaps if Tannith is particularly amused by the storm), relying upon Tannith, Morid, and possibly Alydius Mane for sensing their progress in the proper direction. The Endure Elements effect seems to be protecting any who need protection while Tannith's resistance to cold protects her and Morid's silver dragon form (still remaining, even while posing as an eagle) grants him immunity. Some trouble begins as Morid realizes that his small form could easily be blown away in the storms winds. He drops his eagle form, returning to his wild shaped form of a silver dragon. Even in this slightly larger form, he is still finding the winds troublesome, but manageable. Occasionally, he is blown back a several feet, but his superior speed allows him to keep abreast with the party, assuming they adjust for his lack of maneuverability. Visibility being so poor, the party must rely upon verbal methods to remain close to each other. The howling winds are a little troublesome to this effect, but the party is able to press forward nonetheless, and before long, the blizzard subsides into a steady snowstorm.

Ahead, the party can see signs of civilization on the horizon. All of a sudden, however, two white darts fly past the party at extremely rapid speeds. Those in the know immediately identify the darts as white dragons defending their territory.

Because aerial combat is extremely difficult to map, I'm not going to bother. Assume the party is at least 1000 feet up (so falling deals maximum damage) and I'll post relative distances from other things.

Effects:
Flying: 100ft (perfect) for all but Morid
Morid: flying 150 ft. (I have to check maneuverability)

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:17 am

Was anyone attacked by them? Let's sound off so we know who's still present. Knowing that he wasn't attacked, Alydiuss draws his swordbow and arrows. As soon as he spots a silver dragon attacking, he'll let loose a flight of arrows.
Spot Silver Dragon, Rapid Shot Full Ranged Attack (Penalties for mounted/aerial combat left out) vs Silver Dragon (1d20+24=32, 1d20+23=30, 1d8+9=13, 1d20+23=31, 1d8+9=13, 1d20+18=37, 1d8+9=13, 1d20+13=21, 1d8+9=12)
Image Image

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:11 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Of course, the stormlord needs clarification about the weather. When you say "the blizzard subsides into a steady snowstorm," do you mean a real snowstorm, as categorized here in the SRD, or just that it is now snowing? The difference is significant for Tanith, in case she decides to dismount. She can fly if it's a real storm.

It could also be significant for everyone else: does the steady snowstorm impose penalties on spot, listen, or ranged attacks?

Tanith replies, Not attacked, but I hope they do... She will cast Conviction on herself (+4 morale bonus on Saves for 150 minutes).

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:54 pm

Yes, a real snowstorm. Yes, vision is obscured. That is why the group has lost sight of the two white dragons that whizzed by. You know they are preparing to attack (they failed their stealth rolls versus the perception checks I made for the party), but they are now out of range of your visions.

Return to “{PbP} CoD: Mission Area”