CoD: Mission - Destroy the Lich Queen (Airship) [ENDED]

Active Missions are posted in this section; One Mission per Thread
Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Re: CoD: Mission - Destroy the Lich Queen (Airship)

Post by Benji » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:50 pm

I'll post San'Trigay's actions once I get his .tos file from Shai
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by kabkal » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:10 pm

"Hey, make sure you shoot the WHITE dragons and not the SILVER dragon. I am a friend.

Morid will look for the white dragons, and prepare for battle with them.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Flight for Morid is 150' and maneuverability is good.
I am assuming there is wind blowing, so a gas breath weapon would be ineffective now? I also assume they are immune to the cold?

Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
Image Gerbull: Tortle Barbarian

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:27 pm

Duniagdra wrote:Was anyone attacked by them? Let's sound off so we know who's still present. Knowing that he wasn't attacked, Alydiuss draws his swordbow and arrows. As soon as he spots a silver dragon attacking, he'll let loose a flight of arrows.
Spot Silver Dragon, Rapid Shot Full Ranged Attack (Penalties for mounted/aerial combat left out) vs Silver Dragon (1d20+24=32, 1d20+23=30, 1d8+9=13, 1d20+23=31, 1d8+9=13, 1d20+18=37, 1d8+9=13, 1d20+13=21, 1d8+9=12)
OUT OF CHARACTER
I meant white dragon. :D

Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:37 pm

San'Trigay will ready an action to cast a spell at the first white dragon to appear within his range.

The spell is Flame Strike, Reflex save DC27 (including +1 for Draconic Power). Flame Strike (15d6+7=56)

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:14 pm

Several moments go by without further sight of the creatures. Please post any readied/delayed actions. So far, here is what we have:
  • Alydiuss is delaying his action until after a dragon attacks. Then, he is unleashing a barrage against the dragon (this means that Alydiuss doesn't need to roll initiative. He will simply go immediately after the dragons). If Alydiuss instead means to hold action, then he cannot make a full attack action, and only his first shot will be used.
  • San'Trigay is holding action. The first white dragon within two hundred and fifty feet receives a blast of Flame Strike!
Currently, only these two characters have posted readied/delayed actions. Since you have several rounds to prepare, feel free to post additional actions. In fact, post about five minute's worth of actions, and I'll let you know at what point something occurs that will disrupt your actions.
OUT OF CHARACTER
[list]Effects:
[*]Snowstorm:[list][*]Spot -8
[*]Listen -8
[*]Search -8
[*]Characters are checked: Each round, make a DC 15 Fort save. Failure indicates that the wind may cause them to fall from their saddles. Requires either a move action to steady or a ride check to remain mounted (the ride check would be a free action instead of a move action). Morid, on the other hand, is flying on his own. Failing the Fort save simply pushes him 1d6x5 feet.[/list]
[*]Flight:[list][*]Mounts: 100 ft. (perfect)
[*]Morid: 150 ft. (good)[/list]
[*]Tanith:[list][*]+4 to saves[/list][/list]

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:58 pm

Image Image

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:01 pm

I'm not going to worry about that until you are in combat. I assume that unless you are in combat, you can focus your energies on remaining saddled without any issue. Only during combat will it be a problem.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:02 pm

shai-hulud wrote:
I'm not going to worry about that until you are in combat. I assume that unless you are in combat, you can focus your energies on remaining saddled without any issue. Only during combat will it be a problem.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Ah, I thought we we entering combat. Then that's my roll for round 1. :D

Image Image

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:26 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Thanks to her Storm Walk ability, Tanith and her mount should be unaffected by the snowstorm. So she won't be needing any Fort saves once combat starts, right?

Grokking what San'Trigay's got up his sleeve, Tanith will also ready an action to cast a spell at the first white dragon in range. The spell will be Cometfall (15d6=50), Reflex DC20 for half. According to the spell, failing the reflex save also means the target is knocked prone. Not sure what that would mean for a flying dragon, but hopefully something bad, like a severe altitude adjustment :)
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:55 pm

Don't miss this part of what I wrote above:
shai-hulud wrote:Since you have several rounds to prepare, feel free to post additional actions. In fact, post about five minutes worth of actions, and I'll let you know at what point something occurs that will disrupt your actions.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:48 pm

shai-hulud wrote:Don't miss this part of what I wrote above:
shai-hulud wrote:Since you have several rounds to prepare, feel free to post additional actions. In fact, post about five minutes worth of actions, and I'll let you know at what point something occurs that will disrupt your actions.
OUT OF CHARACTER
You want us to really post five minutes of action? Consider mine as I've posted, waiting for an attack. Five minutes is a bit extreme to ask of players in my opinion. It's usually best to just bypass anything where nothing is going on. We're doing the same thing, flying and looking out for trouble, the dragons. Not much more to do until you tell us something has changed.

Image Image

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:04 pm

Duniagdra wrote:
shai-hulud wrote:Don't miss this part of what I wrote above:
OUT OF CHARACTER
You want us to really post five minutes of action? Consider mine as I've posted, waiting for an attack. Five minutes is a bit extreme to ask of players in my opinion. It's usually best to just bypass anything where nothing is going on. We're doing the same thing, flying and looking out for trouble, the dragons. Not much more to do until you tell us something has changed.

Any buffs you want active may be active. Any preparations you want to make, make them. Five minutes of actions are not round-by-round. I'm not asking for anything extreme. I'm asking for a brief description of what you are doing. Continuing on, but keeping vigilant is excellent for a ranger/scout. Other characters may have additional preparation.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:23 pm

shai-hulud wrote:Any buffs you want active may be active. Any preparations you want to make, make them. Five minutes of actions are not round-by-round. I'm not asking for anything extreme. I'm asking for a brief description of what you are doing. Continuing on, but keeping vigilant is excellent for a ranger/scout. Other characters may have additional preparation.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Okay, so you're just looking for what we're doing until something happens, not actually to post a round-by-round five minutes of activity. That's plenty doable. I wish I had some buffs to cast on myself.

Image Image

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:22 pm

Tanith has cast the only buff she wants to at this time (her others are too short-term), so she's just keeping alert, ready to cast that spell and drop a big rock on the first dragon that she sees :)

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:22 am

Kazmuk quickly asks if anyone in the group needs any magical help in preparation of the coming fight. He quickly casts Bull's Strength on himself and then any spells needed by the rest of the group. He then prepares a Blade Barrier spell, to be cast between himself and the second dragon to come in view. He plans to create a small circle in the dragon's path with the intention of the dragon having little chance of avoiding the wall of blades.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:29 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
I have been looking over the characters again, and everything just became a whole lot simpler.

Tanith doesn't have to worry about any effects of the storm at all.
Morid needs a fort save every round or he will be blown around by the winds. This is not too big of an issue since he is flying anyway. I'm going to ignore it since we don't have a battle map, anyway. We'll just assume that Morid is slightly tussled around by the storm.

For the rest, if they fail their fort save, they can make a ride check to stay in the saddle. This use of the ride skill does not take an action. The DC to stay in the saddle is a DC 5.
Because you all have exotic masterwork military saddles, you get a +2 to all ride checks, and an additional +2 to ride checks made to stay in the saddle. This means that not even Kazmuk can fail the check (he has the lowest ride check: +1 Dex +2 Masterwork +2 Military saddle = +5, so a natural 1 will still succeed).

So, no need to roll any Fort saves/Ride checks for the effects of the storm. No one can possibly fail in any significant way.

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:41 am

San'Trigay won't be doing anything in the way of self-buffing, simply waiting for the first dragon to appear with a perverse look on his face.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:20 am

marine7312000 wrote:Kazmuk quickly asks if anyone in the group needs any magical help in preparation of the coming fight. He quickly casts Bull's Strength on himself and then any spells needed by the rest of the group. He then prepares a Blade Barrier spell, to be cast between himself and the second dragon to come in view. He plans to create a small circle in the dragon's path with the intention of the dragon having little chance of avoiding the wall of blades.
If you have any buffs to spare, sure, I'll take what ever you have that will help me in this situation.
Image Image

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:03 am

kabkal wrote:"Hey, make sure you shoot the WHITE dragons and not the SILVER dragon. I am a friend.

Morid will look for the white dragons, and prepare for battle with them.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Flight for Morid is 150' and maneuverability is good.
I am assuming there is wind blowing, so a gas breath weapon would be ineffective now? I also assume they are immune to the cold?

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry, I missed the questions. You would know enough about dragons to know that yes, white dragons would be immune to cold and to paralysis, so neither of your breath weapons would have any effect in this instance. I agree, strong winds would likely interfere with a gaseous breath weapon.

Does Morid have any preparations he desires?

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by kabkal » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:35 am

Since Morid did cast endure elements on himself at the start he will wild shape into a dragonhawk (2 of 5 changes). He will also prepare a Fire Storm for his first attack.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:09 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Well, we are just waiting for Kazmuk's buffs for everyone. In the meantime, I'll begin the encounter.

About two minutes goes by with everyone on guard. Kazmuk and Tanith buff themselves with Kazmuk providing buffs for anyone else. Morid changes form yet again. This time, he grows dramatically into a gigantic bird. For any with Knowledge: Nature, you know that he has turned himself into a Dragonhawk, a bird native to Aundair. Morid finds himself quite chilly now that he no longer has the protection of the silver dragon form. Fortunately, he is quite hearty.
All of a sudden, a dart of white speeds from the sky at an unbelievably rapid pace! The crazy dragon actually propelled itself into an all out dive! It crashes into Morid with the full force of its weight before anyone in the party has a chance to react. Both Morid and the Dragon take equal damage from the collision:

Attack roll to hit Morid (1d20+53=62)
Crushing damage vs. Morid (20d6=68) (Damage from an 800 ft. drop directly onto Morid)

The collision is jarring, stopping the dragon dead in its tracks while Morid receives the momentum and is propelled downward. Strangely, the dragon seems unaffected by its collision, perhaps due in some part to the helmet it wears. This action triggers the held actions of party members. There is currently a Huge white dragon hovering directly where Morid had been a moment ago. Perched atop it, a spiky, white bug-shaped rider with a long tail of its own brandishes a spear that seems to be intended for Kazmuk.
OUT OF CHARACTER
From Morid, I'll need a Strength check to see how far you fall. You will fall 800 feet minus 10 feet per point of strength check (to a minimum of remaining directly below the white dragon). You receive a +8 bonus on your Strength check for your Huge size.

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:46 pm

San'Trigay's Flame Strike will go off this round, aiming to catch the rider as well as the dragon

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:38 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
All my attacks are focused at the dragon. In regard to the transmuting effect, for this round, all attacks are normal attacks, but by the start of my next turn my weapon will have assumed the necessary properties to bypass the dragon's DR.

Image Image

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:49 pm

Even if Tanith could change her readied action, she wouldn't, 'cause she's not really much of a team player. I think Cometfall, as a (albeit small) area effect should hit both dragon and rider. I guess it could effect Morid, too, since he's beneath them. Tanith thinks altitude adjustment is cool, even if it doesn't benefit her.

After her readied action goes off, Tanith would do something aggressive at the next opportunity. The exact nature of that aggressiveness would depend on where she is relative to the enemy after the results of the two or three readied actions I saw posted...

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by kabkal » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:59 am

shai-hulud wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
From Morid, I'll need a Strength check to see how far you fall. You will fall 800 feet minus 10 feet per point of strength check (to a minimum of remaining directly below the white dragon). You receive a +8 bonus on your Strength check for your Huge size.

Str check (no bonuses, will add in manually) (1d20=2)
OUT OF CHARACTER
I did not add in bonuses because I was a bit confused. Using the Dragonhawk in my sheet it shows +11 for str mod, so I was not sure if the +8 was on top of that (I think it is) so I will let you do the math (I think 21 for the roll and bonuses, but I could be wrong).

Morid will fall quite far, almost 600 feet.

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:50 pm

Kazmuk will buff the group by casting Mass Bull's Strength and then casting Bear's Endurance on 3 party members that want it. He also has 3 Shield of Faith spells readied and two Magic Vestments readied.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:42 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry for the delay. I was mostly waiting for marine to reply with the buffs he was casting, but I got caught up with work yesterday, and had no opportunity to reply.

Morid falls 570 feet out of view.

Because I did not have you roll initiative, I'll roll it for you all now to see the order of the readied actions:
Initiative: San'Trigay; Tanith Tingunn (1d20+9=12, 1d20+4=7)

San'Trigay's Flamestrike occurs first followed by Tanith's Cometfall. Unfortunately, Morid's spell cannot be cast due to his being 570 ft. beneath the dragon (and the range for his spell is 250 ft.)
Surprisingly, the dragon and rider seemed to evade both of the magical attacks!

Next, the rider continues its attack of Kazmuk, but his attack is off from the rapid fall. Please roll initiative!

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:07 pm

Initiative (1d20+9=28)

First, San'Trigay will try to maneoever himself to within 30 ft of the Dragon.

Then, he will fire a Brimstone Blast charged ray at it.

Brimstone Blast;Extra damage (1d20+20=32, 9d6+10=33, 2d6=9)

The blast itself counts as fire damage, there is a reflex save which avoids the extra 2d6, but not the main bulk of the damage. (DC 24)

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:07 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
What happened to my readied action for the dragon to attack?
You also state that I don't need to roll initiative.
Also, here's my Fort Save in combat regarding the storm effects and remaining Saddled.
Shai, being on a mount that is flying, can that apply to skirmish at all?

Image Image

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:08 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Correct, you did delay action until after the dragon.

Alydiuss fires a volley of shots at the dragon, only to discover his weapon is useless in the storm. The arrows fly off in all different directions, but none of them make it close to the dragon. It seems that ranged weapons do not work in a snowstorm.

As for skirmish, no, you cannot get skirmish when riding at all, flying or otherwise.

Return to “{PbP} CoD: Mission Area”