Active Missions are posted in this section; One Mission per Thread
Arpat
Arpat
Arpat

CoD: Mission - The Old Knight [ENDED]

Post by Arpat » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:44 pm

Ready to take off on a Mission:
- Clarson, male elf, monk (kabkal)
- Rogar stonefist, male dwarf, fighter (marine7312000)
- Brak the Barbarian, male human, barbarian (admin)
- Skara Syralis, female tiefling, rogue (patransom)
- Thogric Hammerfist, male dwarf, fighter (UnknownDobo)
- name,race,cleric -- underway -- (BusyCowboy)
all 6 places filled...

However wants to write a short introduction:

Fireday 20, Rova, year 4708, dry day, clouded / sunny and about 60°F (16°C)
you have just arrived in a small town and you just entered a square where a market is held.
You can describe your hero as he wanders into the market towards the center where an man is standing on a wooden platform. He is dressed in a long blue robe, embroidered with silver lines and figures and for the ones taking a good look, some tiny shiny sparkles. He is speaking to a group of people, who are obvious just people from the market. What he is telling must be interesting, everybody seems to be listening.
The key words from the speech: fall will reach it's equinox in 2 days there will a new moon that night. That somehow is a big problem and its obvious that people are a little startled, some people are shouting and some are arguing..
The blue robed man moves off the stage and dissapears behind it...

moon cycles:
SpoilerShow
clarification on moon cycles
New (also called the Dark Moon) - not visible
Waxing Crescent
First Quarter - commonly called a "half moon"
Waxing Gibbous
Full - we can see the entire illuminated portion of the moon
Waning Gibbous
Third Quarter - another "half moon", but the illuminated part is opposite of the First Quarter
Waning Crescent
New - back to the beginning
Months & days:
SpoilerShow
days:
Moonday, work/religion (night)
Toilday, work
Wealday, work
Oathday, work /pacts signed/oaths sworn
Fireday, work, market day
Starday, work
Sunday, rest - religion
months:
Abadius - winter
Calistril - winter
Pharast - spring
Gozran - spring
Desnus - spring
Sarenith -summer
Erastus - summer
Arodus - summer
Rova - fall
Lamashan - fall
Neth - fall
Kuthona - winter
With this information you should be able to start your characters description and how he (or she) responds to the current situation.
The exact location will be revealed (re)working the map.

posting and validations
SpoilerShow
When the mission actually starts there will be a 48hr validation to keep game progression flowing. So: if you don't notify me when you are going to miss a post (two day interfall max) i will run your character for the validation and this will be only once (unless you notify me with some instructions).
The next validation your character will be in total defence and if you miss that one too your hero will be sacrificed for the greater good. (i.e. you position will be available for anyone who wants to join in) and when nobody takes over he will turn into a NPC and very likely be killed.
when i post a validation there is a max 48 hour period to reply before i vaildate, evaluate and respond again.
in short: if you can't reply within 2 validations (4 days) then you should not be playing in this game.
Last edited by Arpat on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Arpat

UnknownDobo
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {preparing}

Post by UnknownDobo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:18 pm

Thogric clomps lazily throught the bustling marketplace, occasionally stopping to examine a piece of armour or a weapon on a stall and almost always finding the wares to be of poor quality (by dwarf standards at least). He waddles away from each such encounter grumbling about how "surface dwellers will never learn to smith iron properly" and if you want something built right you better get a dwarf to do it.

His Banded armour clangs and clatters as he forces his way through the crowds, sometimes literally forcing a gap between two people.
Some people protest but a brief look at the matted beard, scarred face, dented armour and hefty looking pickaxes strapped across his back make most think better of starting a fight.

Eventually he stops at the edge of the crowd which is listening to the blue robed man. Whilst the dwarf couldn't give two rats about most of what the old goat has to say , the crowd's reaction pieques his interest.

THINKING: Hmm these people are quite upset by this news, and upset people tend to be willing to part with gold to fix their upset. It's just a matter of finding the perosn willing to pay the most for the fixing.

As the crowd disperses, Thogric pushes his way past a couple of old women and takes a deep swig from his hip flask.

THINKING: There's money to be made around here for an enterprising dwarf i can just smell it.

Unknown Dobo
Cause you know, when you've been doboed.
http://www.unknowndodo.co.uk

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by kabkal » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:55 pm

Slipping through the crowd, hardly noticed or heard, Clarsen is interested in what the man in the blue robe is talking about, especially when everyone seems to be upset. The average looking elf blends in with the crowd as a blank face, one of those you have seen hundreds of times, so could not even really describe. He tries to see where the man in blue went, wondering if he could help with this poor man's problems. After all, solving problems is what Clarsen likes to do, especially if the oppressed and poorly treated need saving. Cracking his knuckles, Clarsen follows the man, wanting to ask how he could help.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image Coty: Gnome/Summoner
ImageBART 1173:Andriod/Pisterol

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:44 pm

As Brak the Barbarian enters the marketplace, his look falls on the man standing on the podium. He listens to the speech, not really comprehending any of it. But from the looks of the people's reaction around him, this might be a good opportunity to get some kind of job in this town, with his finances currently on the low side. He also remembers that he should avoid any taverns... less he beheads the local barkeep (reference). Luckily, his past actions clearly have not made it here...

With his great sword securely strapped to his back, Brak heads behind the stage to seek that blue robed man in the hopes he can get employment.

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat

Post by Arpat » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:17 am

Clarsen and cleric corner the platform and just in front of your eyes you see the blue man make a strange gesture and with a soft popping sound he dissapears like he has never been there... (DC20 apellcraft for the ones that see it happen) You are fairly sure he did not see you.

A little boy stumbles against Clarsens leg when he tries to climb out of the wooden frame that supports the platform.
As you look down and see the boy, he grins at you and says "cool huh? he does that all the time... dissapear with a funny popping sound!"
The boy now stands on his feet and looks up at the cleric. "You look funny mister!" and then he dashes off, to fast to grab him. dissapearing around the corner of the platform. you hear a shriek and the same boy dashes back into the other direction. Then a tall ferocious looking man turns around the platform and looks at you two.

then everybody gets distracted from the moment as a contingent of six soldiers and a leader (well dressed, probably an officer impressive looks) in his dark red robe are moving up the steps. Their feet make loud noises and the wood crackles under their sturdy soldier feet. They all move on to the platform in a tight formation. Sounds on the market square are gettting silent. A muffled cough, someone heavy breathing is all you can hear. a raven makes a annoying sound in the distance but then it gets silent.

"Hear me, People of Vinderton." The well dressed man starts his speech...
<speech will be up this evening>
Arpat

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Anyone in the area notices a large dwarf wander near the stage that the well dressed man is speaking from. This dwarf has dreadlocked hair and a finely pleated beard that hangs to mid chest. His scale armor seems a little odd and his shield has obvious spikes on its surface. His waraxe is strapped across his back next to a crossbow. His mouth is twisted into a permanent frown on one side from a vicious looking scar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat

Post by Arpat » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:14 pm

"people, humans, dwarves and elves...."he starts..."hear me out"he scrapes his throath.
"last year the wizard from Norburund has forwarned us about the next mooncycle.... <cough>" one of the soldiers hastily opens a canteen with some water anfd the officer takse a big gulp and spits out a little "damn flies.."
"The council of this little town has asked for some assistance in next two days and for those who are not afraid of the prophecy there is some gold to be earned. It will be a dounting task to fight the comming night creatures off, but i am sure that we will prevail!"
The officer looks at the crowd and his face looks a little worried."We don't know why our Lord Trah isn't responding and why he didn't return the seal to the rightfull owner. That will be investigated later. Volunteers for the town protection can get a charter and a small 5 gold payment upfront at the chapel here.(he points a little to the east) You have to bring your own weapons and armor and you can get a blessing from the cleric. For those who survive we will pay 50 gold each. For those who fight but don;t survive we can send money to you family if you have a family."
The officer looks with a stern gaze a few hardened men... "please help us to save this town..."
The people only look and it looks like no-one is going to react to the plea of the officer. not even 50 gold is going to convince them to stand up and fight.
the officer looks a little dissapointed as he moves off the stage to the quarters to the west.
in the door of the chapel a tiny bald man opens the door and a soft yellow light emits from the open doors... it is already nearing sundown.

a soft breeze blows through the town and here and there are some leaves from trees flying around... some people look freightened and others look ... well like they always look, as if there is nothing that concerns them. But somehow it is obviously clear that something bad is going to happen.
Last edited by Arpat on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arpat

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat

Post by Arpat » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:19 pm

The old bald man in the chapel doors laughs a little..."nobody has the guts to take up arms against the evil ones" he leaves the door open and goes inside cackling like a silly goat...
on the small chapel is a symbol:
Arpat

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:53 pm

Hold! Brak tells the old bald man in the chapel.
I'll fight. I ain't no coward.... and I do need the Gold Brak smiles
Brak approaches the Chapel to sign up.

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat

Post by Arpat » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Map of the area (marketsquare in 'vinderton')
download to see full size (save as)
Arpat

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:12 pm

Skara, dressed all in black, has been standing in the middle of the crowd, trying to look as inconspicuous as possible. She had been considering whether some of the people around her needed their purses lightened, but the general mood of the crowd made her think better of it. People tend to get especially violent when they're already upset and then discover they've been robbed. Besides, she was distracted by the speeches from the cleric and the important-looking fellow. Now they looked wealthy. Maybe worth the risk of robbing.

Now she hears there's an offer on the table. She follows Brak over to the Chapel to ask, What exactly do we need to do for our 50 gold? And what's this charter we get for volunteering? She figures, at worst, she can volunteer, take the 5 gold up front, and run away if things get too dangerous. Her tail twitches at the thought of easy money.

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by marine7312000 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:17 pm

Rogar follows Brak towards the temple. He smiles as he thinks of the ways his family could use the money.

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by kabkal » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:15 pm

Clarsen heads to the chapel, "Count me in, I ain't doing nothing anyway."

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat

Post by Arpat » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:10 pm

The bald man turns around as he hears that someone enters the chapel.
ah! he cackles with a thin voice I am surprised... he slowly walks to a pulpit and grabs a bunch of papers.
hm... he turns back and ah! more... people...he looks at the strange woman in black and a woman... officer Darrak will be most pleased with all of you!
He hands you all a yellow piece of official paper, signed and sealed with a dark red wax emblem.
For those wh can't read this paper, its a official charter from the city guards. It will give you as a mercenary in service of the council of elders from vinderton, the right or privilige he chuckles, what ever you like more... he stops to catch a breath to get a well paid sum of 50 gold, a free stay at the inn for the rest of the month including food and ale, a decent funeral if you don't make it.. he bursts out in a annoying breath-cackle-concerto ahaha hehe, excuse me... a tear runs down his eye.
He points at the paper to the dark red wax seal, thats the seal of the master guard. It is a genuine seal. I swear it by Irori. Don't loose that paper.
he carefully puts the other papers away in the pulpit's drawer.
Be on the market square tomorrow evening before sundown and make sure you are well prepared. he points outside the door the graves of your illustrious predecessors can be found on the other side of the town. the bald man strokes his own bald head... looking sad i guess they didn't prepare very well for the evil one that comes to collect.
He looks at your faces ah... you don't know what is going on. well... it started a year or two ago, when Trah, took a artifact from the black spire. He showed us the damn thing...
The bald man gets exited and when he speaks he spits a little i wish he never took the damn thing. the fool! now that evil thing is demanding every time the moon is dark and he demands... that we sacrifice a virgin or deliver the artifact that Thrah took. Trah promised to bring back the artifact to the spire, but since then nobody heard a thing from him. the fool! i am praying to Irori every day to help us.. maybe you are that help? ah well ... the man sighs...

oh here, before i forget... the 5 gold for each volunteer. the old man frowns, handing every one of you five golden coins.
now... who wants a blessing? he looks at the few people in front of him. Do you want Irori's blessing too? he asks Skara... and before she can answer any of you a question?
Arpat

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:36 pm

Ahh well yeah. A blessing is fine Brak says to the Priest.
What kind of beast will need to be taken down? Werewolves? Brak asks, guessing that this curse could be tied with the dark Moon.

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by kabkal » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:48 pm

Clarsen pockets the gold and the paper, making sure both are safe and secure.

"yes, please give us as much info on what we are to battle as you can. That way we can prepare. I too would like the blessing."

UnknownDobo
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by UnknownDobo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:38 am

Thogric rolls into the chapel after everyone else, mumbling about whatever takes his fancy, the colour of the stonework, the amount of unsupervised kids that are wandering the town, the lack of booze.

This where we sign on? What needs killing and where do i find it?

He briskly scrawls an X on whatever piece of paper is put in front of him.

Unknown Dobo

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat

Post by Arpat » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:34 pm

Baldy turns around and almost spits it out: beasts you asks? monsters! horrible demons and beasts from hell i assure you... he clucks like a chicken...
but let me bless you all first with the power of irori

he raises his thin arms and as he mumbles some strange words his hands seem to shimmer with a bluish tient and with a soft whooshing sound a wave of 'something' expands out in a radius of 15 feet. You don't notice any effect.... except for a brief and short tingeling feeling in your stomach.
he... there.. its done. May Irori enlighten your path! good luck and take care!
He then turns his back to you, walks to a shrine and starts praying to Irori.
Arpat

UnknownDobo
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by UnknownDobo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:29 am

well nothing works up a thirst like a good beast slaying.The gruff dwarf turns to the other vlunteers. Don't suppose any of you lot saw which way he wanted us to swing our weapons? He takes a swig from his flask and grimaces as the firey liquid burns his throat. THINKING: Then i'll need to find a tavern to top up the old juice box.

Unknown Dobo

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:43 am

Well, so much for getting information about what we'll be fighting... Brak says, once out of the Chapel.
Whatever. Just in case, I'll go get me some silver arrows... Meet you later. Brak says, heading to the local blacksmith to find some silver-tipped arrows.
OUT OF CHARACTER
10xSilver-tipped arrows is 20.5gp - can Brak find that in this town?
FYI: In Pathfinder, they changed Mithral to allow it to have the 'same' effect as Silver! Nice thinking!

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:25 am

The blessing makes Skara somewhat nervous. Her tail twitches furiously, but since there are no ill effects, she says nothing. She smiles to herself that she's just been given 5 free gold pieces and authority as a constable.

So let me get this straight, she says, The town's being attacked by so-called horrible demons because someone stole an artifact. Has it occurred to anyone that finding this artifact and returning it might be more expedient than hiring adventurers to fight off the monsters every dark of moon?

She continues, We might be willing to take on the task of finding the artifact, if you were willing to pay enough. Since we'd be saving you 55 gp per person per month, I'd guess the mission would be worth, I don't know, a year of hired thugs, so 660 gp for each of us... She looks around at the rest of the bunch to see if they like her thinking.

UnknownDobo
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by UnknownDobo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:20 pm

I'm with devil girl. Sound like we could save you a whole lot of trouble if you are willing to just fork over a little more cash.Grumbles Thogric with his usual lack of tact.
I'd even go so far as to say that if you don't want us to find the artifact that maybe you like that they keep coming here to kill people, it'd almost be like....The Dwarf makes a point to raise his voice at the tail end so that everyone present can hear. you're in league with whoever is attacking the town.

Unknown Dobo

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:18 pm

Skara smiles broadly and nods her head in firm agreement with Thogric's comment. However, she bends down slightly to hiss in his ear, DON'T CALL ME DEVIL GIRL!

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat

Post by Arpat » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:57 pm

Senethar.. Serenthar, where are you?
the officer you hve heard earlyer today enters the chapel and stops in surprise...
Oh my... it's... oh my! he looks really baffeld to see you all there, some even holding the charter in the hand.
Volunteers! who would ever have guessed! The gods are blessing us!
he grins widely and shows a perfect set of beuatiful teeth..
he gets really exited when he continues I must brief you all, the moonless night is mear and... follow me! its better to inform you in the Inn.
he moves back to the door come! come! and the next second he is gone through the chapeldoors Bye Senethar, i'll be back later!
he firmly walks to a building south of the market and enters the door. A second later he pops his head around the door and shouts food and ale! hurry!

*map updated*

environmental status: it is dark now, it drizzles a snotty rain and soft unpleasant gusts of cold air make you shiver.
Arpat

UnknownDobo
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by UnknownDobo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:04 pm

then what would you rather i call you?he whispers back. Sliding his gaze appraisingly over her figure.
I'm Thogric of the Hammerfists.He says as he slowly wanders along, following behind the Officer. He turns and adresses the officer as he starts to lead them away.
As this Dev.....young lady just said why are we fighting these beasts when we could just go and recover the artifact which is making them attack? For a fee of course.

Unknown Dobo

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by kabkal » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:08 pm

"I recommend we follow and learn more of the tale. I am sure there is a reason we cannot just get the artifact, it may be worse then what is happening now". Clarsen follows to the inn.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:36 pm

Skara replies to Thogric, Nice to meetcha, Thogric. I'm Skara Syralis, procurer of unusual valuables and stabber of the impolite. Some people have said that I'm in Murders and Acquisitions...

To Clarsen, she says, Maybe there's a reason, but I'd sure like to hear it. Nothing's impossible if the price is right.

She continues to follow this fellow who seems to be in charge, especially since it seems like there might be free food and ale involved.

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Brak follows the officer and the rest of the volunteers, not saying a word. He will have to wait a bit before going shopping for his silver arrows.

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat

Post by Arpat » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:30 pm

the inn is average size and one table is free, the officer has made it clear that this table is taken. aomw people give him a grim llok, but they respect him enough and don't cause any trouble...

Eat... drink...he gestures and the maid brings ale, wine and tasty food. With all the food on the table he explains that as volunteers you have the primary duty to keep the townsfolk as safe as possible. We know what is causing the trouble but as far as now we have send in two patrols, 3 parties of adventurers and... well none of them have returned. he looks at you with a sad face... the first group was under leadership of my older brother... i am afraid i will never see him again... its now more then 3 months. since he left with a few good men. he lets his breath go slowly, takse a big gulp of his ale He should have listened to the witch. She foretold this would happen...
He looks at your faces... then he continues. I'm sorry... not the most delightfull conversation... then with a determined look on his face We can't change what has been done. Let me brief you now he points to the square which can't be seen through the dark ambercolored glass Tomorrow night they will come.. here, on the marketsquare. just like they do since that fool took that artifact. Sometimes there are monsters in the night before, but they are just too early. he grins probably also not too smart.... We always kill them. So be aware. If you need to refill your ammo you can go tomorrow to the armor shop just out the door to the right. Show the charter and you will get a discount. You can sleep here in the inn for this month and the next. Just be carefull, not everybody is happy with the situation. he lowers his voice the thiefs guild has also send a "team", but they never returned... they blame the other adventurers. so my advice is to make sure you sleep safe. he looks at Skara i guess they have a hard time assasinating you or even steal from you.. with a smirk on his face he wishes you all a good and safe night.
Arpat

UnknownDobo
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by UnknownDobo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:56 pm

Thogric grumbles roundly and reads through his copy of the charter. THINKING: Nope, not once does it say that your duties include being a target for the local thieves guilde. Damned manlings are more slippery than an elf dipped in butter.
The dwarf clomps over tro the barman and tosses his newly aquired gold pieces on the counter. I'll take as many bottles of your strongest spirit as that'll buy.

Unknown Dobo

Return to “{PbP} CoD: Mission Area”