CoD: Mission - The Old Knight [ENDED]

Active Missions are posted in this section; One Mission per Thread
kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 2178
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by kabkal » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:20 am

"Do you know what time these things usually come in? And thank you for the food."
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image Coty: Gnome/Summoner
ImageBART 1173:Andriod/Pisterol

User avatar
marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1582
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Round Rock, TX
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by marine7312000 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:10 am

Rogar simply eats the food given to him and drinks the ale with an unflinching steadiness. He eyes Skara warily but does not comment.

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5875
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by patransom » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:20 am

Skara looks at officer in confusion after his comment about the thieves' guild, as if she doesn't understand what he's talking about. Afterwards, she eats and drinks a little wine while studying the charter, trying to think of ways she can make money out of this.
Image

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Netherlands, Almere
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by Arpat » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:13 pm

The man behind the counter looks greedy to the gold that the dwarf tosses on the counter.
His tongue nervously circles his sudden dry lips I have 5 bottles of Megor Dwarven Stout.. the finest. guaranteed for a good headache! it are very large bottles. shall i bring them to your table? He scoops the gold of the bar and calls for a maid. Bring this Master Dwarf 5 large bottles of fine and exquisite Megor Dwarven Stout He rushes to the table and with a dirty towel he cleans the table. There.. all clean...
when you look at the table you are sure that nothing has changed. But all thought dissapear as a young, voluptuous girl brings 2 bottles and drops them on the table.. i'll be right back with the other bottles!

The bottles are made of thick darkblue glass and are 2 feet high and 8 inch wide. A big, no huge!cork and a lump of dust are closing off the bottle.
The sound inside the bar suddenly stops as everybody looks in amazement to the dwarf and his newly purchased bottles. Everybody has heard of the legendary drinking capacity of dwarven... but seeing it yourself is something totally different!
Image
Arpat

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5875
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by patransom » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:54 pm

Whilst sitting in the tavern, Skara also keeps her ears open, listening for any interesting information or whispered conversation.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Perception check (1d20+7=16)

 

Image

User avatar
admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-
Posts: 13474
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 5:51 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by admin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:41 am

Brak eats the food/drink offered. He asks the Officer:
What about that witch? What did she foretold exactly?

UnknownDobo
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:25 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by UnknownDobo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:50 pm

Impressed by the fine choice of drinks that the barman offers he returns to the table and cracks open one of the bottles, pouring the noxious smelling brew into a tankard.
THINKING: Now this is more like it. Nothing takes the thirst off like a warm Megor.
Now in a much better mood after having discovered something that he likes about this little town Thogric offers everyone at the table a share in the stout before taking a long draught himself.
After necking nearly half the tankard he smacks his lips in appreciation.
Ah now that's a good stout.
THINKING: never hurts to butter up the local barkeep with gold to make his tongue a little looser either.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I'm assuming i'll need a fortitude save. 1d20+10=24

 


Unknown Dobo
Cause you know, when you've been doboed.
http://www.unknowndodo.co.uk

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Netherlands, Almere
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by Arpat » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:26 pm

The officer looks at the dwarf... pulls up his left eyebrow in some form of amazement...
he looks at his own tankart that looked big, but is now ehm...
The witch? ohh... the witch yes... she comes and goes as she pleases and she has warned about the artefact. It was pure evil she said.
She has not returned here after that day... but she sends a servant.

he looks again at the dwarf... and his other brow goes up when a really loud burp finds the way out.
I must go now. Remember what i said. be carefull tonight. Prepare for tomorrow. At sundown the party starts. If you have questions just come by the guard house on the other side of the market square.

with a last look at the huge bottles and the dwarf he leaves with a strange look on his face. When he moves through the door you barely hear him mutter.. "unbelievable... " then he is away.

Some of the people in the Inn are moving away to the door and they mumble something drunk.
One man at the bar is rather annoying but the maid evades him every time. Then the barman has had it and he shoves the man rather hard out of the building. He protests, but the door slams in his face and it gets silent.
A bard is sitting in the corner of the room and he plays some recognisable songs on his lute. He is plucking his lute softly not really intending to play.
Image
Arpat

User avatar
admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-
Posts: 13474
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 5:51 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by admin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:08 pm

Brak, his belly full, approaches the Bard and places one gold in front of him
Entertain us Bard! He says joyfully, this might be our last day alive!!

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5875
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by patransom » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:31 pm

Skara refuses any of Thogric's strong brew, saying loudly, I'll stick to wine, thank you. Your dwarven brew smells like the concoctions my father used to feed to his pet oozes.

However, as she grabs the tankard to pass it along to someone who's interested, she whispers to Thogric, Keep your eyes open, Hammerfist. I saw the bard talking to a beggar before, but his shoes were far too expensive. Likely a disguise. Something's not right here. This whole thing seems like a set up.

As she directs the tankard to Clarsen, she repeats the same information, hoping the others will pass it around the table to Brak and Rogar.
Image

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 2178
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by kabkal » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:01 am

Clarsen will pass on the drink, and pass it on to the next person. Along with the information. Then as it begins to get dark Clarsen will go outside and keep a watch for anything suspicious.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image Coty: Gnome/Summoner
ImageBART 1173:Andriod/Pisterol

UnknownDobo
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:25 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by UnknownDobo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:48 pm

Thogric nods to Skara and continues to quaf his brew, enjoying every last minute of it but realising that with no one else drinking he may have bitten off more than he could chew. He finishes the first bottle before picking up two of the others and heading back over to the bar to adress the barkeep.
Don't suppose you could hold three of these bottle for me? Seems my companions don't appreciate fine ale. Besides wouldn't want em going to waste if i should perish in the next few days, this way somone else can enjoy them if i don't come back.
The dwarf glances conspiratorially around the near empty room before leaning in to talk to the barkeep without being overheard.
Don't suppose you have any idea what's going on around here? Seems everyone is expecting us to turn toes up before the week is out. Wouldn'e be good for buisiness if you're customers can't come back cause some critter killed em.

Unknown Dobo
Cause you know, when you've been doboed.
http://www.unknowndodo.co.uk

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Netherlands, Almere
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by Arpat » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:56 am

well... i can store the bottles for you, no problem. the barman lowers his voice as he addresses the dwarf it seems that everybody is very edgy... i guess it has to do with what is going to happen... you would think everybody would get used to it... but... i guess they don't. they are scared... and with reason. those monsters are horrible creatures.. who knows what they bring next. Y'oul be smart in bringing your weapons. Maybe some magic would be helpfull... he looks arounfd suspiciously and he shows you a little red orb. i will be hiding in the cellar, using this demon ward and i hope they don't find me. quickly he hides the red orb away in his sleeve.

He nods and squints his eyes as if you two had a secret that only you two know.
SpoilerShow
its almost 12 and the town is silent. It rains outside and the temprature has dropped. Through the colored glass you 'see' flashes of a nearing thunderstorm.
The barman opens the door to the second floor (sleeping area) and lets the bard go upstairs, when he returns he looks around and says that he will close up shop. You can stay here and drink some more or eat some small snacks... but i'll be moving to my sleeping quarters soon
Last edited by Arpat on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Arpat

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5875
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by patransom » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:09 am

Skara is curious about the interaction between Thogric and the bartender...
OUT OF CHARACTER
Here's a Perception check to overhear the conversation (1d20+7=13)

If she does hear them whispering, here's Sense Motive check to see if the barman is being truthful (1d20+5=24)

And, whether or not she hears what's going on, here's a Perception check to spot him hide that orb in his sleeve (1d20+7=26)

 

Image

UnknownDobo
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:25 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by UnknownDobo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:44 am

Thogric smiles at the barman and slaps a couple of extra coins from his purse onto the counter.
Thanks for the information, seems like they didn't hire us just to ensure that we kept the local breweries in buisiness.
He lowers his tone again.
Don't suppose you would know where a Dwarf might purchase one of those trinkets? Could be handy to have over the next few days.

Unknown Dobo
Cause you know, when you've been doboed.
http://www.unknowndodo.co.uk

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Netherlands, Almere
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by Arpat » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:44 pm

// OOC
Damn.. ust before i saved the message previously my ineternet connection dropped out.

i forgot to respond in the previous messages to something Brak did.
@ Brak: The bard looks up at you and refuses to take the coin. He looks drunk and tired. "koo away. joe bip guui, i af no plai sjongs"
Brak +1 action point

About action points:
i will use them as i know them. You can influence actions in dire moments or use them to influence things. I will present a list of possible improvements that you can buy when leveling up. I need to think about how many AP you need to gain certain things ...

Prestige Points
I will also start using prestige points.
Prestige points are points that reflect your position in the world. I hope it will enhance roleplaying. It will enable me to let characters respond to a famous individual. Its concept, but at this moment Thogric has 1 prestige point. He was noted by the barman and several guests by drinking a really large amount of high quality ale. He will be noted in the future inside this village.
When i would run a larger campaign you would aquire possibly more points and maybe event two or three kinds of points.
So i am working on this mechanism. (its actually used in Kingmaker Adventure)
Thogric +1 prestige point

Feel free to roll for things that you think would be usefull in rolling. Like Thorgic drinks a lot i need a fortitude save. Excellent thinking and thats also why i added a prestige point. If he had not rolled i would not have tought about this particular action. Now i was forced to think about te situation: if he failed he was less capable. but what if he didn't fail. no points to gain, no nothing. just no problem. (so now we have prestige.) Doing a tea ceremony is like performing. Nothing to gain, but now you get points for playing your character (you still need to roll thereby adding significant value (you could fail) to the action. Before you do something specifi it is best to let me know what the actions are so i can determine the DC before you do it. higher DC will get you more prestige. (but remember it wont work if there is nobody to witness the action. A tea ceremony in a secret place for yourself will NOT help. performing the same ceremony while the emperor is watching.. that would be significant more difficult, but gain also a lot more prestige. (or you spill a drop of hot water over the emperor and you loose your head. probably in boiling water.)
let me know what your thoughts are on this principle. nice? stupid? already covered? nuts?

i will use

Code: Select all

this format to let people know that a certain character has done something (like Skara) that is not noticable without special actions.
. Since it isn't actual OOC i would rather use something more suitable (no-one wants to copy the code i guess) else like a 'DM box', 'Storyline' and 'Description' box hat and when i am thinking about it a 'Status' would also be nice. every boxtype with its destinguised thingies for easy recognition.

So the format of how things go will change a little. No more PM'ing. I think its a slowdown. Unless Skara actually would steal from her friends (which is not sart, but could be done...)
Although the PM messages work, i would rather see even more RP.
(Don't get me wrong, i am really thrilled by the responses and activity of you all !! )
This more 'open way of knowing' makes it more easy to metagame.
I will reward players that actually are plaing their character even though they personally know that this or that happened. This is something that in a larger game can be discussed. Here i see it as a way of finetuning (or discarding if needed) that system before i start a larger campaign.

Code: Select all

Skara did a perception check to overhear the conversation: She hears most of it. (but no-one actually would know that)
Skara's check motive also results in: knowing that the bartender is sincere. He actually believes what he says.
Skara's percetion check on the hiding orb action tells Skara where the orb did go. Through his sleeve into his left pocket. A old trick and not very well done by the barman. (again, Skara is the only one who knows.)
If i can improve my gameplay or you have other ideas about improving things... just let me know.
i guess i wrote already to much ;)
Image
Arpat

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5875
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by patransom » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:16 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
That's all cool.

For the code box (things that only one character would know), consider using the Spoiler tag instead. It works like this:

Read the spoiler below if you make a DC10 Perception check:

[spoiler]Skara is doing something sneaky. Not really, though, this is only an example so Arpat can see what it looks like.[/spoiler]

 

Image

User avatar
admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-
Posts: 13474
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 5:51 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by admin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:03 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Also, I don't mind adding any "special" button/box you need - and even more so if you can provide all the PHPBB code to go with it!!!

 


UnknownDobo
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:25 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by UnknownDobo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:21 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
i wish i could earn prestige for drinking huge quantities of ale in real life. That would be awesome.

 


Unknown Dobo
Cause you know, when you've been doboed.
http://www.unknowndodo.co.uk

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 2178
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by kabkal » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:23 pm

Clarsen looks for a place to set up for the night, out of the storm, but still able to keep guard for anything out of the norm.
OUT OF CHARACTER
See; listen; survival (storm avoidance) (1d20+13=26, 1d20+13=24, 1d20+4=11)

 

Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image Coty: Gnome/Summoner
ImageBART 1173:Andriod/Pisterol

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Netherlands, Almere
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by Arpat » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:36 pm

The barman points to the stairs up and tells you that you can use all rooms with an open door.
and don't worry, the roof does not leak he tells you with a grin

the open doors: (top/north) 0,2,3,4,5,7 and (bot/south) 0,1,2,3,5 (obviously the first room left/low (0) is a library and has no bed.)
OUT OF CHARACTER
I assume everybody goes upstairs, find a room.
@Clarsen: i suspect you go upstairs too... about the storm (listen check+survival): you know ths storm is going to be a heavy one, with lots of thinder and lightning. and heavy rain. You are not sure if it is a normal storm, but there is no real indication of something out-of-the-ordinary.
if anybody is not going upstairs or going up but wants to take extra precautions let me know.

 

Image
(image is larger then visible area)
Image
Arpat

User avatar
admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-
Posts: 13474
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 5:51 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by admin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:10 pm

Brak nods thanks to the barkeep and goes up. Seeing door #1 South is empty, he takes that room.

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Netherlands, Almere
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by Arpat » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:39 pm

The room that Brak enters has two beds stacked. A small ladder enables you to get up on top. The shutters are half open and locked with a simple hook.
The weather outside is growing stronger... It sounds like the gods are angry. Thunders and flashes follow each other in rapid succession while the rain showers like a heavy curtain.

A large stone pitcher with fresh cool water stands on the table. A large bowl is placed next to it. A piece of cloth is folded nicely and placed into the bowel.
Behind the bowl and the pitcher is a stone mug.
The room is clean, simple and sober.
Image
Arpat

UnknownDobo
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:25 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by UnknownDobo » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:13 pm

Thogric waits for a moment before repeating his question to the barman about where he could get a charm himself. He'll probably want to sleep in room 0N though if by the time he gets up there he discovers that it's full he will bed down in the library, aiming to be as near to the top of the stairs as possible. He likes the fact that there are no windows in here either.

Unknown Dobo
Cause you know, when you've been doboed.
http://www.unknowndodo.co.uk

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 2178
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by kabkal » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:26 pm

Clarsen will indeed come in from the storm, taking any open room and opening the window to watch the storm for awhile. Before he falls into meditation and sleep he will close the window.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image Coty: Gnome/Summoner
ImageBART 1173:Andriod/Pisterol

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Netherlands, Almere
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by Arpat » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:50 pm

The barman shows Thogric a room and just inside the door he looks suspiciously from left to right...
"if you want to buy one of those " he pulls out the red shiny ball"talk to the sorceres..."he slips the ball back "she knows how to get them, but they are very expensive." he chuckles softly "but hey what is your money worth if yer dead hey?" he realises he talks louder then he wanted and he quickly moves back to the stairs "remember, sorceres" and he is gone down the stairs.

Image

status on characters & weather
SpoilerShow
Image
status update on characters:
active:
brak - sleeping
clarson - meditating / sleeping
thogric - sleeping

skara - will be moved to bed (dm)
inactive
rogar - will be moved to bed (dm)


Weather:
violent thunder and flashes, lots of heavy rain.
Image
Arpat

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5875
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by patransom » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:20 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry for the delay in posting. Busy week.

 

Having overheard about the usefulness and value of the red orb, Skara just can't help herself. After most of the party has gone to bed, but before heading upstairs herself, she asks the innkeeper for another glass of wine. While taking the glass from him, she also offers to shake his hand in thanks for his hospitality. Both of these move are just cover for her attempt to lift the red orb from his sleeve, which she does deftly and (hopefully) without the innkeeper noticing. Assuming he doesn't notice, she quickly heads upstairs (to Room 2 south, because it has a nice-looking carpet) with her wine and her new jewel.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Sleight of Hand (1d20+9=29). Skara succeeds in stealing the item and the innkeeper needs a DC29 Perception check to notice. So I think she's probably gotten away with it!

 

Image

UnknownDobo
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:25 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by UnknownDobo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:56 pm

Thogric snores like a band saw thanks to a full belly of ale.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZ snort snort. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzz

Unknown Dobo
Cause you know, when you've been doboed.
http://www.unknowndodo.co.uk

User avatar
marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1582
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Round Rock, TX
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by marine7312000 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:07 pm

Rogar moves upstairs after having a good laugh at Thogric's antics. He then moves upstairs and moves to room 2S to bed down for the night.

Arpat
Arpat
Arpat
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Netherlands, Almere
Contact:

Re: [CoD] The Old Knight {running}

Post by Arpat » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:29 am

The weather outside gets more violent as the thunders and flashes follow each other in rapid succession. The rain adds to the noise and the air is filled with the scent of electrical discharge as suddenly a loud bang in the hall wakes everybody up except for Thogric and Clarson... for him this is nature at its best...
Electrical discharges float through some of the rooms and through the hallway popping with loud bangs... and as soon as it happens the globes of electrical energy are gone... the thunders fall silent and only once in a while a flash lites the sky....

the rain slows down to a continues heavy rain as the wind slows down.... the silence is deafening and uneasy and besides the rain and Thogric's snoring the silence feels unnatural.

A flash sears through the sky, it's light is dimmed through the window shutters. Skara sees a fraction of a second a black shadow against the wall at the end of the hall. But when she looks a second time there is nothing to see. Did she imagine the shape? are her eyes playing tricks? the snoring changes in timbre as thorgic moves over to the next tree and starts sawing again. Skara is standing in the doorway...
OUT OF CHARACTER
the others that are awake didn't see anything, Thogric is sleeping, Clarson is still sleeping/meditating.

 

Image
Arpat

Locked

Return to “{PbP} CoD: Mission Area”