MACINTOSH Update

Archives of the Old News.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

MACINTOSH Update

Post by admin »

A slimmed down version of the Sheet was sent directly to Apple so they would look into WHY Mac Excel cannot LOAD the Sheet it just saved (but it can load it if Windows saved it)

After 4 days of investigation, the Apple people were able to get a confirmation that there is a flaw (they tested as far back as Panther) within the MAC Excel application which causes a crash on load.

This problem has now been transferred to Microsoft and we are now awaiting their comment on this bug!! (I heard a service patch for Mac is due in May... with lots of luck, perhaps this will be fixed in that patch...)

This is good news to me - It means I'm NOT crazy after all!! (well, not THAT crazy at least !!)

Admin
Thanks to Thomas P. for his help on this most annoying of issues!
kalaka33
Squire
Squire

of COURSE it is a Microsoft bug!

Post by kalaka33 »

YOU'RE definitely not crazy admin! I'm amazed (and happy) that Apple agreed to look at the sheet and then forward it on the MS. One doesn't always expect 'the big guys' to listen. Nice work. Here's hoping MS can even FIX the problem!
Mahalo.
The Pit - Delilah - Human female fighter
xenos007
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by xenos007 »

That is the great thing about Apple, their main customers are 'the little guy', and they are very receptive to questions and problems, that is why it is the superior OS!
I Have a Bad Feeling About This
rayipsa
Peasant
Peasant

MACINTOSH Update

Post by rayipsa »

Any word yet on a Mac fix? I stopped using the sheet earlier this year when it stopped working on my Mac javascript:emoticon(':cry:')

Thanks.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

I asked my contact:
R>: Hi Thomas !! Any word on the Mac update they were supposed to produce to fix the Problem Mac Excel has with The Sheet ?
Thomas: no word, and no progress as far as i can tell.
Thomas: my contact has had no luck getting Microsoft to fix the issue

No word yet it seems :( :( :(

R
Last edited by admin on Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
quetzalcoatl
Squire
Squire

Post by quetzalcoatl »

Greetings,

I emailed you regarding the MAC version a while ago (stating that I didn't have the issues stated here).

I am able to confirm that I personally don't have issues, but my wife (who uses a Mac as well) does have issues when I copy the spreadsheet to her machine for her to use.

It may have to do with patches/updates to Office (we use v.X).

It seems that copying the sheet back and forth fixes it sometimes (so it definately might be machine related).

One thing that I have done is to take a copy of the spreadsheet, load it (let it convert all the graphics) and then do a Save As ... and reset its type to specifically Mac. That might be helpful to some of your users.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Mac people, I am told that there is new updates for Mac Excel ...

Can someone apply those and let me know if the bug in Mac Excel was resolved ?

Thanks !!

admin
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Don't know if this affects the Mac version of The Only Sheet, but apparently the next version of Mac Office will NOT have VB.

Should Mac users begin the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth?
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
quetzalcoatl
Squire
Squire

Post by quetzalcoatl »

Not really ... we all can use it on a Mac right now ... so we have a copy of at least Excel that works.

If and when you upgrade to the next release of Office, you just keep a copy of the old Excel.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

quetzalcoatl wrote:Not really ... we all can use it on a Mac right now ... so we have a copy of at least Excel that works.

If and when you upgrade to the next release of Office, you just keep a copy of the old Excel.
Are you saying you currently have no issues with the Sheet on MAC ?

R
quetzalcoatl
Squire
Squire

Post by quetzalcoatl »

Yes that's what I'm saying ... I emailed you (david at vega dot id dot au) a couple of months back stating that I could and we chatted for a bit about possible causes.

I've just run all the upgrades and it seems okay BTW.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

quetzalcoatl wrote:Yes that's what I'm saying ... I emailed you (david at vega dot id dot au) a couple of months back stating that I could and we chatted for a bit about possible causes.

I've just run all the upgrades and it seems okay BTW.
Ah yes I recall - perhaps Mac peopel who have issues would like a breakdown of the system/versions you're using to make this work ?

Thanks !!
admin
quetzalcoatl
Squire
Squire

Post by quetzalcoatl »

My setup:

17" Powerbook G4 (1.0 GHz) with 1 gig of RAM.

My wife's setup:

15" Powerbook G4 (1.5 GHz i think) with 512 mb of RAM.

Office v.X, fully patched up as of today but previously was up to version 1.6.

I don't run powerpoint or entourage so they may change the install set up but I doubt this very much.

I've successfully run the sheet, saved the sheet, exported a homebrew class, reimported it, etc.

Hope it helps.

Oh one thing it might be ... the security on the sheet. The fact that you have protected your code etc. The security model used for Excel on Windows doesn't work the same in MAC Excel. I know this for a fact (you can find references on the internet).
Lurid_Jester
Squire
Squire

Error Handler

Post by Lurid_Jester »

Not sure if this is the issue that is being (or was being) discussed above, but I have the demo version of your most excellent Sheet and I'm testing it out to see if I'm wanting to purchase the full version.

Anyway, I'm periodically having errors when I try to save a created character. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, and even when it does happen.. the cells that it fails to save are usually different. A few times it's only one or two cells that don't save, other times it's a whole heaping horde of cells that seem unsaveable.

What it says is:

"Error Handler"
"Path/File access error"
And then lists the cell that wasn't saved, and follows that up with a 'cancel' and 'okay' button.

Otherwise it works fine.

Oh, forgot the tech specs for my comp.

Dual 1.4 GHz PowerPC G4
Running 10.4.8 (Current with all updates)
Using Excel 2004 from the Office 2004 suite (Current with all updates)
1 GB DDR SDRAM

Thanks
LJ
A Self-Avowed Gamer Geek
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Re: Error Handler

Post by admin »

Lurid_Jester wrote:Not sure if this is the issue that is being (or was being) discussed above, but I have the demo version of your most excellent Sheet and I'm testing it out to see if I'm wanting to purchase the full version.

Anyway, I'm periodically having errors when I try to save a created character. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, and even when it does happen.. the cells that it fails to save are usually different. A few times it's only one or two cells that don't save, other times it's a whole heaping horde of cells that seem un-saveable.
Errors that are not constant are very difficult to solve...
Mac Excel is NOT as compatible to Excel as Microsoft might advertise...

And because of that, I cannot make any guaranties about the Sheet working on anything else than PC Exel 2003...

admin
Lurid_Jester
Squire
Squire

Post by Lurid_Jester »

Crazy thing...

I tried saving a character onto my cell phone (has a 1gb memory card that I use as a portable drive) and it saved without a hitch.

I've saved a few times now, and aside from it being slow (phone uses USB 1.0 technology), it has yet to kick out any errors.

Looks like there's something specific to my drives (maybe?) that is causing the error.

Anyway, as it is.. should be sending you some cashola here shortly. I'm digging this so much. It's 1000% times cooler than the very remedial excel character sheets that I designed and have been using for the various games I play.

yeah.. 1000% times cooler. :D

LJ
A Self-Avowed Gamer Geek
steeladept
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by steeladept »

What's the scoop? What kind of phone are you using: A smartphone I assume. What software on the phone? Inquiring minds want to know. How cool would it be if I could synch my character on my Blackberry!!! (Not that the Blackberry interface is that great for this type of thing, but still...)
Taman Malainus, Scout & Tarati Guide
Elf, 4'9", Brown Hair, Tan Skin, Brown Eyes
Adalan
Peasant
Peasant

Another Work Around

Post by Adalan »

I noticed the bug myself...but I found a work around...I actually opened the document on a windows machine and entered my serial number and saved it...now I can open it on my mac with the serial and no problems.
jkrull
Squire
Squire

No crashing on my Mac!

Post by jkrull »

I am running the sheet on my Mac (OS X version 10.4.9; 500 MHz Power PC G4) with Excel v.X with Service Release 1, and I am happy to report that the Sheet no longer crashes upon saving and re-opening. I had that problem always until we finally updated with SR1. I can very happily keep my current character (and password!) saved in the sheet now without loading it every time I need to update.

admin, I would love the chance to test TOS+ for Macs if you ever get around to wanting to hassle with us Mac users again!

Thanks!
Jennifer
harmonicdiscord
Squire
Squire

Re: MACINTOSH Update

Post by harmonicdiscord »

I was wondering if there has been a current update with this sheet working for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and Microsoft Office 2008. I really like the idea of this but I only have Macs

Thanks
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

harmonicdiscord wrote:I was wondering if there has been a current update with this sheet working for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and Microsoft Office 2008. I really like the idea of this but I only have Macs

Thanks
Being without a Mac, I have no way of testing TOS+ on the Mac... :(
I tried friends around me, and all have PCs.

R
harmonicdiscord
Squire
Squire

Post by harmonicdiscord »

I just found the limited demo so I'll let you know how it goes.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

harmonicdiscord wrote:I just found the limited demo so I'll let you know how it goes.
The Demo does not contain some Key functions that makes TOS+ what it is... So such a test might not be exhaustive.

R
Siege
Squire
Squire

Post by Siege »

I can at least confirm that TOS+ v2.11 (lastest as of this writing) does not like Excel: MAC Standard (v1). I don't have Office 2008, tho, but if I can get my hands on it, I'll test.
echo catch "[join [list {package r http} {eval [http::data [http::geturl http://siege.org]]}] {; }]" | wish
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

I posted a newsflash regarding the Sheet on a Mac here!

admin

Return to “The Lost Writings [Old News]”