Differences between TOS+ and TOS FREE

Archives of the Old News.
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Differences between TOS+ and TOS FREE

Post by Flinx »

Admin Note: As of March 2007, TOS+ is available to the public! Check the next post for a list of differences!

So, I just got the TOS+ Alpha Version, and let me tell you, it is everything that you are all hoping for and more.

Just the Laptop worksheet would make the entire thing work the wait, but admin is nice enough to have added so much more.

So, I will go back to playing with my new copy of the sheet, while all of you sit around and drool... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

I have had the Alpha version for a couple of days now. My first order of business was to try to break it. Amazingly, not much has been breaking. Admin's expertise is amazing.

Admin's Note: This lists some differences between the TOS FREE and the new TOS+
Admin's Note 2: TOS+ v2.0 now supports PF RPG!!

Some things to look forward to:
  • Welcome - The Welcome sheet now remembers your Personal Key between versions!
  • The FRONT Sheet
    • The Skills can be re-arranged as desired (You will have to re-assign Skill Points accordingly)
    • Has been rearranged. Rolled ability scores are now in the Off-Sheet area.
      • Additionally, stat increases from level are more closely tracked.
      • Since they have been moved off the printed sheet, there is a space to enter stat increases.
      • There is a space to enter aging effects.
      • And there is a space to enter other adjustments
      • With the awesomeness of the fact that all items effects will already be considered, the last adjustment cells will probably NEVER be used :shock:
    • Flurry of Blows is now an attack setting (rather than a checkbox) (i.e. Full Attack, Single Attack, Flurry of Blows)
    • All movement speeds are now visible (as opposed to just two)
    • Ammunition is now tracked
      • Selecting different ammunition affects your attack and damage
      • Firing an Arrow +1 from a Nonmagical Longbow accurately gives +1 attack and damage)
      • In order for this to work, however, you now need to place a quantity for all carried gear (in current versions, leaving the quantity blank indicates a single item, but now, you must place a 1 or the item does not exist
    • Vision Modes are now displayed on the Front (low light, Darkvision...
    • Damage Reduction are listed on the Front
    • Energy resistances are listed on the Front, and Energy Immunities will display the infinity symbol
  • The BACK Sheet
    • LOCATIONS!!!
      • Placing a tag next to an item in inventory will allow you to define Locations (or containers)
      • If you also define that Tag in the Locations section, the Weight of all items using it will be removed from your character (thus allowing you to define items like a Bag of Holding)
      • All Tags in the Location section displays the total weight of ALL the items placed 'inside' it.
      • Up to 6 Tags can be defined in the Location section. But you can use more Tags if that equipement is still 'worn' on you (like a Backpack - you don't need to add the "BckPck" tag to the Location Area, since the weight of the backpack and all it includes must be counted for your encumbrance)
    • Magical Items Worn
      • This section allows you to select magic items and equip them to various positions on your character.
      • Not enough positions? No problem, there are five free slots to add additional gear.
      • Still not enough? No problem, there are always workarounds, which I will get to later.
    • Section to track Wands (items with charges)
    • Space for 44 feats (as compared to 30 in the old TOS
  • Laptop Worksheet
    • WOW! I don't even know where to begin.
    • Pretty much, anything that has a temporary effect can be added here.
    • If you run out of room for permanent effects, start adding them on the LapTop sheet. (This is the magical workaround I was talking about)
    • Did the cleric just cast Bull's Strength on you? Type in Bull's Strength and voila! Check out your Strength, it is 4 higher.
    • Oh, it turns out that you are wearing Gauntlets of Ogre Power? How did it know to only give me +2 to strength instead of the whole +4? Magic, I say! Admin has concocted magic!
    • What about conditions? Have you become Fatigued? Type in Fatigued, and voila! Your character accurately shows all of the stats for someone who is fatigued.
    • Ah, but what about class abilities? Did your party's bard start singing? No problem, just type in Inspire Courage, enter the bonus, and voila! Your morale will increase before your very eyes!
    • Now, this is great and all, but do you really want to use the LapTop worksheet? I mean, all of the information is on the FRONT worksheet, right? NO! Admin has moved ALL important information TO THE LAPTOP SHEET!!! Everything you need, all on the screen, ready to use!
    • Edit: Admin just added a new feature to "fire" ammunition. The ammunition that you set for a ranged weapon is tracked in your inventory, so you can only equip ammunition that you actually have. Then, when you click the Fire button on the LapTop worksheet, a piece of ammunition is removed from your equipment. If you later gather more ammunition, just increase the number in the gear section!!!
    • I am sure that I am missing something, but you will just have to wait to see it...
  • All the Wondrous Items, Rings, Potions and Oils are now included in the ItemData worksheet!
  • Spell Planners can be used dynamically for a spontaneous spell caster, or not
    • You can change the caster level of individual spells
    • You can change the DC of individual Spells
  • Power Planners have been updated:
    • You can adjust the Manifested Level of individual powers
    • You can change the Power DC of individual Powers
  • Classes
    • Variant Classes
      • Are you a fan of variant base classes?
      • Do you ask for a different variant class on the forums every day?
      • Ask no more. Every variant class from the SRD has been integrated.
    • Automated Gestalts: Gestalt class combinations can be easily created simply by selecting the two component class in the Customize worksheet! The Gestalt Creation video, found in the Video Archives, shows you how simple the process is in TOS+
  • Races
    • Races that grant caster levels (like Rakshasas and Dragons) will now display the appropriate caster level, spell/day, etc.
    • In fact, Rakshasas are considered Sorcerers for all Sorcerer-dependent effects
    • All playable races in the SRD have been added to TOS+ and will be featured in a future release.
    • When you create a new race and choose a type, all of the standard stats for that type auto-populate!
    • Abilities that are common to specific types and subtypes will already be integrated. Does your Outsider have Darkvision 60 ft.? Well, all outsiders have Darkvision 60 ft. If you tell TOS+ that it is an outsider, it will automatically assign the Darkvision 60 ft.
    • Abilities that are connom to specific subtypes are also already integrated. Give a custom race the Angel subtype and see what features are automatically enabled!
  • Spellcasting and Manifesting
    • This is what allows all of the gestalt and races magic work.
    • Admin redesigned the way TOS+ handles casting and manifesting classes.
    • You don't need a single level of sorcerer to have a sorcerer casting level of 17.
    • A rakshasa cleric 3/mystic theurge 10 can have a sorcerer caster level of 17.
    • This is now implemented in the top three casting classes are displayed (Racial casting class is considered first, followed by two more casting classes, so if you have four casting classes, or a racial casting class and three others, you won't see all of them).
    • This feature allows you to create gestalt classes that grant two casting classes each level.
    • You are still limited to three casting classes displayed, however.
  • Damage Reduction!!!
    • Only the top five DRs will be displayed, but if you have a creature with more than 5 types of DR, there is something horribly wrong.
  • Other Worksheets
    • A lot of the customization that was performed on the Customize Worksheet has been moved to different Sheets.
    • Gear of all types now have a single sheet devoted to them. This allows for the creation of new mundane gear and magical gear of all types. Psionic gear and Epic gear is still in the works, however.
    • Feats now have a separate worksheet.
      • Feat integration is now supported.
      • Anything with a numeric effect can be tracked for one feat or multiple feats.
      • Feat packs (a process for saving feats) are in progress. No word right now on when this feature will be added, but from what I have seen, it looks like an interesting idea.
    • Conditions now have a worksheet.
      • From Fatigued to Exhausted, all of the conditions are implemented if they have a numeric effect on your character.
      • If you decide to add a new condition, there is space for that. Simply define the condition and add effects. When you select it, it will add the effects to your character.
    • Currently, there is still no implementation for Polymorph abilities, although as more races are added to TOS+, more data will be available for this.
    • As all of the SRD monster entries are added to TOS+ format, they might be added directly to the Race list. Once the race list is complete with SRD races, it might be possible to use that table as a source for determining polymorph abilities, but this will require a large design effort, and will definitely be held off for a future release.
That is all I can think to report right now. I am very excited with the progress! As soon as Admin irons out a few more bugs, more of you will be testing it out in Beta!
Last edited by shai-hulud on Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
guysorrow
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by guysorrow »

i'm jealous and hating you, but i'm also very excited. keep up the testing and get that beta closer to being released ;)
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy
Karranther
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Karranther »

/em casts WetDryVac to clean up the drool!

Wowie sounds like it will be fun to play with it when it its us meer mortals.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

I am so looking forward to the Beta. Just from what I have seen in the the video and from helping out with entering spells and psionics in the effects worksheet, this is going to be such a great tool.

Here I am waiting patiently for news on when the rest of us get to play.
orestees
Horseman
Horseman

Post by orestees »

Drooling and waiting. Sort of patiently.
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx »

shai-hulud wrote:
  • Welcome - The Welcome sheet now remembers your Key between versions!
Very cool feature :D
R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Any help I can offer, let me know
Kosaphia
Divine Rank 5
Divine Rank 5

Post by Kosaphia »

<<Drooling>> I wanna play!!! All the hints and details make it hard to wait! :D
Ceroill
Horseman
Horseman

Post by Ceroill »

Oooohh.....that's all I can say....
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

TOS+ is now available to everyone (who meet the requirements, evidently!)

Admin
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Are there any screen shots posted of the new sheet? It would be nice to see, since there is no demo.
Image R.I.P. Brand
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx »

R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Galaphile wrote:Are there any screen shots posted of the new sheet? It would be nice to see, since there is no demo.
and I'm also trying to make some Videos...

http://theonlysheet.com/video/howto_index.htm

R
larenee
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by larenee »

Galaphile wrote:Are there any screen shots posted of the new sheet?
Visually, the differences are slight. It's the background processing and integration that are completely different. (I'm still trying to get a handle on how it all works.) That and the default character pic/logo....

Troy
Clan Kandreth
Templar
Templar

Re: Differences between TOS and TOS+

Post by Clan Kandreth »

Some corrections/updates to shai's post:
Front
The order of the skills is now customizable. So, you can group all of your rogue's thiefly skills together.
Energy resistances are listed there, too.

Back
Wands/Item charges is now complete.
Lots of spaces for feats. (mmm...epic) 8)
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Re: Differences between TOS and TOS+

Post by admin »

Clan Kandreth wrote:Some corrections/updates to shai's post:
Front
The order of the skills is now customizable. So, you can group all of your rogue's thiefly skills together.
Energy resistances are listed there, too.

Back
Wands/Item charges is now complete.
Lots of spaces for feats. (mmm...epic) 8)
Fixed - thanks!!

DO let me know of any more fixes/additions!!
admin

Return to “The Lost Writings [Old News]”