Problems with my Host... Enough is Enough!

Archives of the Old News.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Problems with my Host... Enough is Enough!

Post by admin »

I have been experiencing many issues with my current HOST (Yahoo!) enough so that I WILL change hosts.

This is the ANNOYING error I have been getting in the last few days... Did you get the same error!?

In any case, I will be switching the whole Domain to a new host. This means that the forum might be down at some point - my apologies in advance for the missed PbP games and support. I feel this is a necessary task to improve upon the service I provide to this community - and I will also try to install the NEW phpbb bulletin board version, which should be cooler than version 2!

Once the new host is online & tested, I will start the process of 'propagating' the new domain IP through the internet (a process that usually takes up to 48 hours)

Can I keep posting while you're doing this?
YES. Once I am ready for the transfer, I will DISALLOW posting on the forum and copy the 'latest' messages to the new Host. So no messages should be lost in transit.

admin
Last edited by admin on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lachesis
Horseman
Horseman

Post by Lachesis »

I have been getting the same error quite frequently.

"Blame yourself, or God."
Phoenix512
BARON
BARON

Post by Phoenix512 »

I just been getting the error today. As along the www is in the URL, I can access the site normally.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

I got it for the first time just about a half hour ago.

My shortcuts are set without the www. (For what its worth)
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

ALL RIGHT!

After some work, I was successful in transferring the whole TOS files to the NEW servers!!!

The Domain Name will start to change tomorrow, so for now, the URL for the Homepage/Forum is http://69.42.58.70/~theo9774/

Because PhpBB version 3 is still in Beta testing, I'll wait until it is officially released before installing it...

Note that I had to DELETE the Cookies that were pointing to the old Host...

Hopefully this NEW host will be more reliable then the previous.

admin
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx »

Looks like everything came through ok :D
R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Flinx wrote:Looks like everything came through ok :D
Thank <insert favorite Deity name here> !!!

I noticed that the new host a some kind of CHAT system...

I might try to set that up for you Guys... it'll be a bit more Dynamic than posting messages! HEHEHE (and quite 'in theme" with TOS+ !)

R
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Some of the linking is not working, but I am guessing that will be corrected when the domain name is transferred over.

(I.E. the Class lists point to theonlysheet.com)
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

klakxor wrote:Some of the linking is not working, but I am guessing that will be corrected when the domain name is transferred over.

Yes I figure as well...

Once the propagation ends (most likely next week) then I can start to check which links are broken and fix them as needed.

Also, I noticed the Forum is much faster than it was before... I hope you have seen the difference also!!

R
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx »

klakxor wrote:Some of the linking is not working, but I am guessing that will be corrected when the domain name is transferred over.

Ouch... I hope that fixes itself... I don't really look forward to going through and manually changing every one of those links... :?
R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Flinx wrote:Ouch... I hope that fixes itself... I don't really look forward to going through and manually changing every one of those links... :?
It has to (fix itself...)

They refer to "theonlysheet.com" and that still points to the old host...

R
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Flinx wrote:Ouch... I hope that fixes itself... I don't really look forward to going through and manually changing every one of those links... :?
No fear, they are pointing correctly now
larenee
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by larenee »

admin wrote:Also, I noticed the Forum is much faster than it was before... I hope you have seen the difference also!!
R
Rest assured, I have noticed the difference. Definitely faster! Thanks for the effort!

Troy
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

klakxor wrote:
From the "Classes Forum", yes. But when I go to Flinx's thread on either forum (TOS or TOS+) listing the currently customized classes and click on the name of one, I get--

"Sorry, but this board is currently unavailable. Please try again later."

--and the URL is for theonlysheet.com

And I suspect that's how most of us "hunt" for a desired class.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

CGM3 wrote:
klakxor wrote:
From the "Classes Forum", yes. But when I go to Flinx's thread on either forum (TOS or TOS+) listing the currently customized classes and click on the name of one, I get--

"Sorry, but this board is currently unavailable. Please try again later."

--and the URL is for theonlysheet.com

And I suspect that's how most of us "hunt" for a desired class.
That is where I was talking about. My guess is that the Domain name change has not fully propagated out through the interweb. You also may need to refresh your local dns to correct any entries stored there.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

klakxor wrote:That is where I was talking about. My guess is that the Domain name change has not fully propagated out through the interweb. You also may need to refresh your local dns to correct any entries stored there.
Propagation can take from 24 hrs to 72 hours...

You can also delete the 'old' cookies from your browser (which may point to the old site... I dunno if this is essential of not (I did remove the cookies I had of the old site...)

R
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Okay, this is a new development. Having plugged the new (temporary?) URL (http://69.42.58.70/~theo9774/forum/) into my IE Favorites properties, I come here, enter my username and password... and clicking on the Enter button brings up a 404 error screen. But when I use the IE Favorite to getr back here, I'm logged in.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

CGM3 wrote:Okay, this is a new development. Having plugged the new (temporary?) URL (http://69.42.58.70/~theo9774/forum/) into my IE Favorites properties, I come here, enter my username and password... and clicking on the Enter button brings up a 404 error screen. But when I use the IE Favorite to getr back here, I'm logged in.
Did you delete your "theonlysheet" cookies?

My ISP now is using the new IP for my Domain (meaning it's made its way to them and it was updated!)

I've deleted all files on the 'old' server to avoid any confusion

R
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Clicked Tools | Internet Options | Delete Cookies, then quit IE, re-started, logged in -- and again got "HTTP 404 Webpage not found". Then made my way back here.

It also shows up when I log out.

"Still a few bugs in the system." :roll:
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx »

Hmmm... Everything seems to be working right for me now, including the lists.

draconas
BARON
BARON

Post by draconas »

using ip/hostname mixes with php logins is usually fraught with peril (generally because of cookies and session-state information), I'd change the favourite to the actual dnsname as soon as your isp resolves it to the correct forum.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

And now everything seems to be working okay...

Tune in next week for more exciting adventures with -- The Peregrinating Only Sheet! :lol:
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Well, we've now been operating on the new host, and I've yet to get a single glitch!! Woot woot!!

(touches wood)

admin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Heh, heh, heh ... you said "wood"
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

patransom wrote:Heh, heh, heh ... you said "wood"
yes.. is this wrong?

In French, we have an expression "Touché du bois" which translates to 'touch wood'. Basically, it means 'we hope it continues to go well' (as best as I can translate)...

R
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Correct translation would be "Knock on wood" which always frightened me (my last name being Wood and all)

Pat was simply making the joke that sometimes a mans "little friend" is often referred to as wood as well when it is standing tall. (tried to make that as PC as possible)
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Actually, both "touch wood" and "knock on wood" are acceptable idioms for "may things continue as well as they have been", derived from the old belief that benevolent spirits dwelt in wooden objects and could be invoked by contact to ward off ill fortune. (Though why a dryad would feel benevolent towards the mortal clodhopper who'd chopped down her beautiful tree and turned it into an umbrella stand is beyond me. :wink: )
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Yep, klakxor has explained correctly. I got the idiom, but could not resist making a juvenile comment ...
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod

Return to “The Lost Writings [Old News]”