[GLOBAL POLL] Giving the "old" sheet away? Your thoughts?

Archives of the Old News.

Should TOS (the older sheet) be free to anyone?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:36 pm

No
15%
Yes
85%

Total votes: 20

admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

[GLOBAL POLL] Giving the "old" sheet away? Your thoughts?

Post by admin »

I've been thinking that perhaps it is time to 'give away' the Older Sheet to the D&D3.5 community.
This might generate interest in TOS+ as a byproduct of trying out the old sheet... (and I could make a bit of Publicity in the old TOS and call it "Free TOS" or some such...

What do you think? Will people who try out TOS, be interested in eventually get TOS+ as a non-free product? (with access to the Forum at that!)

Note that TOS+ is nearing its 2nd birthday (meaning that I've not touched TOS in all that time...)

admin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: Giving the "old" sheet away?

Post by Duniagdra »

I think this could be something. However, it could just as easily backfire. Perhaps you could give away TOS but limit its level to 20? It could be a great promotional tool since 2 years for anything electronic is a very long time. Maybe someplace you could add another sheet with hide/unhide button pimping features found in TOS+PF.

:20: =13

How'd my "Roll-of-the-Die" go?
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
scantrontb
scantrontb
scantrontb

Re: [GLOBAL POLL] Giving the "old" sheet away? Your thoughts?

Post by scantrontb »

i guess it ultimately comes down to the question of: "can i live with my hard work, and lots o' time invested in TOS, being hacked the instant it gets put out on the web?" because you KNOW that there are bums out there that will take your work, hack into the excel of it, wipe any copy protection (or whatever prevents US from changing layouts, and formulas, etc) and then re-releasing it so that ANYBODY can get at the guts of it...

if your answer is "NO, i still want to prevent just anybody from meddling" then you shouldn't give it away.

but, if you have decided to relinquish any and all control what-so-ever, in perpetuity... then sure, go ahead, as you say it would be good advertising for TOS+, and TOS2
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

scantrontb wrote:i guess it ultimately comes down to the question of: "can i live with my hard work, and lots o' time invested in TOS, being hacked the instant it gets put out on the web?" because you KNOW that there are bums out there that will take your work, hack into the excel of it, wipe any copy protection (or whatever prevents US from changing layouts, and formulas, etc) and then re-releasing it so that ANYBODY can get at the guts of it...

if your answer is "NO, i still want to prevent just anybody from meddling" then you shouldn't give it away.

but, if you have decided to relinquish any and all control what-so-ever, in perpetuity... then sure, go ahead, as you say it would be good advertising for TOS+, and TOS2
TOS is not as advanced as TOS+, and certainly does not contain as much 'coding' as its big brother. There are things I can remove, to 'limit' the meddling some people might want to do. But while I am thinking of giving TOS away, I was not thinking of giving Forum Access away (I just received my "Bill" for my Web hosting, and I certainly need some $$ to cover that and to continue providing this service to the active community).

Evidently, my hopes are that people who try TOS, might eventually be interested in a more Powerful product, and be ready to invest a few bucks in such. Some people don't even look at the sheet when they see it is not free (for some reason, many think that this kind of products should be free to them...) Well, perhaps a few of those will "see the light" and comprehend the amount of work involved, and decide that a few $ is worth the time they will save creating and maintaining their characters... There is no absolute way to really know what will happen, until I try...

Thank you for the comment!!
admin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

scantrontb wrote:i guess it ultimately comes down to the question of: "can i live with my hard work, and lots o' time invested in TOS, being hacked the instant it gets put out on the web?" because you KNOW that there are bums out there that will take your work, hack into the excel of it, wipe any copy protection (or whatever prevents US from changing layouts, and formulas, etc) and then re-releasing it so that ANYBODY can get at the guts of it...

Just an FYI... TOS, ToS+ (and soon TOS+PF) are available through the internet. Any Hack can download the "free version" as it currently stands and hack the sheet. The software is out there to allow people to do that. The only true way to protect a document from being hacked is by using a "to open" password. For the FAR many who don't go that route, admin idea of giving TOS away free could be a good idea. If someone wants to hack someone else's work, they'll find a way no matter what you do.

While admin did put years of work into this on-going sheet development we all enjoy using, TOS is pretty far outdated. Someone hacking that would be wasting time. In short, just as admin set a 6th level limit to the already free version, I'm sure he can find a way of limiting other features as I mentioned before. admin, I do think you're on to something, setting limits should be a major consideration. I think you have enough work right now though, wouldn't you say?
Image Image
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Duniagdra wrote:...In short, just as admin set a 6th level limit to the already free version, I'm sure he can find a way of limiting other features as I mentioned before. Admin, I do think you're on to something, setting limits should be a major consideration. I think you have enough work right now though, wouldn't you say?
I have to be careful not to frustrate people would would give TOS a spin. The idea is not to hamper them, but more to get them to know TOS. Those wanting more Classes/Races will be able to gain 'registration' access to the Forum for a ridiculous fee (like $5!).

This should generate more interest on the Forum; Eventually, some might want to switch over to TOS+ to gain a more powerful tool, and perhaps join up in PbP slots that might open up... To the benefit of the whole community!

How does that sounds?
admin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

I'll say it again...

"You're on to something."

The worse that could happen is it don't work.
Image Image
scantrontb
scantrontb
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Duniagdra wrote:Just an FYI... TOS, ToS+ (and soon TOS+PF) are available through the internet. Any Hack can download the "free version" as it currently stands and hack the sheet.
snip
think you're on to something, setting limits should be a major consideration. I think you have enough work right now though, wouldn't you say?
Doh!... I've had mine registered for so long i didn't remember the free version that's out there already... but i guess my stance is still basically the same, if he want to, he will, if not, then he won't... no biggie either way for me.
vyrzain
Templar
Templar

Post by vyrzain »

I voted yes.... and wish you luck.

At first I wanted the 20 level cap as stated above but after reading more it maybe better free not sure.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

TOS FREE is now Online here!

This version is totally FREE and has no limitations whatsoever (well, aside from the fact that it ain't as powerful as its bigger brother, TOS+!!) Feel free to give it/email it to your friends who have yet to get TOS+... Perhaps they will like it enough so to become subscribers of TOS+ one day! (crossing fingers)

Please check it out and let me know if I forgot anything or broke anything within. I also modified the Home Page to reflect the new status of TOS... If you notice any problems there, do advise me.

Many thanks to those of you who are actively supporting my efforts!!

admin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

So now the waiting game to see how this strategy works. In any case, I think you'll win.
Image Image

Return to “The Lost Writings [Old News]”