[Poll] Reporting the enemy's HP damage

Archive section

Should I dump the descriptive terms and just tell you how much damage a bad guy's taken?

Yes
No votes
No
38%
Do Both!
38%
I don't care
25%

Total votes: 8

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

[Poll] Reporting the enemy's HP damage

Post by patransom » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:10 pm

admin wrote:Could we verify something please?
In round #10, Gerag summoned his Spiritual weapon, which inflicted 3 HPs to Bold of the North. You tagged this as 'slightly injured'.
In round #12, Gerag's Spiritual Weapon did another +9 HPs of damage to Bolt. In the round #12 validation, Bolt is still tagged as 'slightly injured', even though he should have received 3+9=12 Hps of damage. Is he really just 'slightly injured'? I am not too sure how your system works for describing the condition of damaged people/creatures - Is this covered somewhere? (i.e. what you mean by 'slightly injured' and such...) Do you have a table explaining these conditions I could check out?

thanks!
admin
You are correct that Bolt has taken 12 HPs of damage. I haven't been using some strict set of categories in describing injuries or fixed percentages that put someone in a specific category. I will say that "slightly injured" definitely means he has more than half his HPs left.

I'm not going to tell you how many HPs an enemy has left, nor am I going to establish a strict set of categories. Doing either would make it more like a video game than a role playing game. Still, I thought these ad hoc descriptions might be useful to you. I'm trying to just give descriptive hints, without putting a "health meter" over every bad guy's head.

If the descriptions are more confusing than helpful, however, I will drop them and just report how much damage you've done to each enemy. What do you think?

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Re: [Poll] Reporting the enemy's HP damage

Post by admin » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:14 pm

patransom wrote:You are correct that Bolt has taken 12 HPs of damage.
I wanted to check if you had missed the total damage done to Bolt, as his 'status' did NOT reflect this (same condition after loosing 3 hps, and 12 hps)
The current system does not allow the player to 'confirm' the total damage done to enemies (as a secondary validation - we all miss stuff from time to time!)

Perhaps loosing 3 HPs could have been tagged as 'barely injured'? I certainly like these descriptions and I would think that also adding the total damage done would allow us to 'validate' your validation! lol

admin

CGM3
Divine Rank 9
Divine Rank 9

Post by CGM3 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:20 pm

The GM in my campaign uses general descriptions, like "it's bloody but not slowed down", "it's weaving but still fighting", and "you think one or two good hits could bring it down", to give a rough idea of how badly injured a foe is.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:06 am

I always show the total damage taken by an enemy, for my record in game and for my players to know how successful their efforts are. I would like to see a total damage taken for enemies, as keeping a mental record just doesn't work. Aside from that, I like the descriptors. I try using them from time to time when I think of it for flavor.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:09 am

I really don't mind, but I use a similar system in my tabletop games:

Uninjured: What it says on the tin.
Slightly injured: Anything up to 25%hp down
Hurt: 25% - 75%
Badly injured: 75%-99%
Ray of Frost country: 3 or less hp left.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:49 am

Benji wrote:Ray of Frost country: 3 or less hp left.
LOL

Omegaman
BARON
BARON

Post by Omegaman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:19 pm

I use GRACE points and Hit Points so until it has taken away all their GRACE points there is no physical damage unless they are minor fluff scratches or bruises. GRACE heals at a rate of 1 per minute so it's like fatigue almost. When you get to HIT POINTS, then the descriptions get graphic and bloody. So most fights are just getting winded and near misses until that couple of final shots actually bites into HP and then drops the foe. Seems to go more with how the movies work that I watch. Big fight, lots of work, little scratches, then BAM! somebody's dead from the fatal sword wound.
It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. Adam Smith

Return to “{PbP} Archives for VoI”