20%

Total votes: 5

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Do you want to use Hero/Action Points?

Post by admin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:58 pm

I forgot to ask!!!!!

Do you guys wish to use any of these systems?
Hero Points from Pathfinder's APG
Action Points from D&D3.5
admin
PLEASE DO NOT VOTE UNLESS YOU ARE A PLAYER IN THIS PbP!

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Re: Do you want to use Hero/Action Points?

Post by patransom » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:14 am

I don't care.

smeltdm
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by smeltdm » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:44 am

I don't care, but I don't have clue on how to use them................ :?
Image Evan Prost: Halfling/Rogue
Image Moe Human/Rogue
Image Belor Fletcher Human Cleric of Abadar

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:03 pm

smeltdm wrote:I don't care, but I don't have clue on how to use them................ :?
As found on the links in my original post:
Hero Points wrote:There are moments in any struggle that influence the outcome. Does the brave warrior lay low the villain before he can finish casting a devastating spell? Does the sly rogue avoid detection as she sneaks into the giant chieftain's lair? Does the pious cleric finish casting her healing spell before the rain of arrows ends the life of her companions? Just a few die rolls decide each of these critical moments, and while failure is always a possibility, true heroes find a way to succeed, despite the odds. Hero points represent this potential for greatness. They give heroes the chance to succeed even when the dice turn against them.

Hero points are only awarded to player characters. NPCs, animal companions, familiars, cohorts, and mounts do not receive hero points. Unlike other points in the game, hero points do not renew over time or with rest. Once spent, they are gone forever. Hero points are awarded as a character gains levels or whenever a character accomplishes a truly heroic feat. The GM is the final arbiter on the award and use of hero points.
Action Points wrote:
Action points give character the means to affect game play in significant ways, by improving important rolls or unlocking special abilities. Each character has a limited number of action points, and once an action point is spent, it is gone for good.
I have used both systems, and I think it's VERY interesting to have this for critical moments, when the die makes or breaks the situation.
admin

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:14 pm

Hero points sound like nice little role-playing bonuses, but they seem a little over-powered to me.

I would quite like to see us using Action Points, but getting them awarded to us as if they were hero points.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Benji wrote:Hero points sound like nice little role-playing bonuses, but they seem a little over-powered to me.
Are you speaking from experience?
We've been using Hero Points in my current friday-night game, and they may seem 'powerful' (if you consider a +8 bonus to 1d20 powerful - and only +4 if you already were told the result of your die...) - yet remember that you get ONE Hero Point per level... and when you use it, it's gone! HEHE Also, if I recall, you can't have more than 3 Hero Points and cannot 'hoard' them :D

At my Pathfinder game, 3 of the 4 people decided to use Hero Points - the 4th preferred to have an 'extra' feat instead: From what I have seen, the use of Hero Points has been much more interesting (and life saving) than having an extra Feat. Another advantage of Hero Points is that they can be awarded for special actions/accomplishments by the DM! That's cool :)

admin

Victor71
Divine Rank 3
Divine Rank 3

Post by Victor71 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:56 am

I love the idea, I have used my own type of point system in my campaign, called Fate Points. Been using it for about 10 years and is similar to the action and hero point system, but I give 1 point for doing extra for the campaign or your character to inspire players into their characters and campaign, plus the gain for level. The points in turn could be used much like the hero point system.
admin wrote: We've been using Hero Points in my current friday-night game, and they may seem 'powerful' (if you consider a +8 bonus to 1d20 powerful - and only +4 if you already were told the result of your die...) - yet remember that you get ONE Hero Point per level... and when you use it, it's gone! HEHE Also, if I recall, you can't have more than 3 Hero Points and cannot 'hoard' them :D
I agree they are a needed extra and had made my own years ago for purposes of bad luck :cry: players can have. It was also a good way to get players to add some flavor to their characters and the campaign. :D

My vote is for Hero Points: :valid:
Image Ezren: Human Wizard

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:05 pm

Ah, in that case, I vote for Hero Points.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Hmm I'm not sure why we have 5 votes... we're only 4 players (and I did not apply my vote, obviously)
smeltdm wrote:I don't care, but I don't have clue on how to use them................ :?
So to you have more 'clues' now on hos it works?
Are you wanting to try out Hero Points too?

admin

smeltdm
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by smeltdm » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:42 pm

admin wrote:Hmm I'm not sure why we have 5 votes... we're only 4 players (and I did not apply my vote, obviously)
So to you have more 'clues' now on hos it works?
Are you wanting to try out Hero Points too?

admin
I'm good with the hero points....... :thumb1:
Image Evan Prost: Halfling/Rogue
Image Moe Human/Rogue
Image Belor Fletcher Human Cleric of Abadar

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:28 pm

ok so we seem to have the Majority for the use of Hero Points, so let's use them!
I'll re-read the section on those - I think you start with ONE point.
I'll probably be tracking them at the end of Validations, so you won't have to bother with them yourself (if you don't wish to!)

admin

Return to “Archives for CotE”