Introduction

You and your newfound companions have been contracted to investigate Slip Gallows Abbey, the past headquarters of the late (and unlamented) Gray Deacons. Over forty years ago, all of the Gray Deacons were claimed by an unknown curse and their headquarters sealed by the same magic. Your employer has learned of a way inside and has hired your group of adventurers to slip inside and claim the treasure of the Gray Deacons

Moderator: JPetherick

Cain Eyebright
Divine Rank 7
Divine Rank 7

Re: Introduction

Post by Cain Eyebright » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:56 pm

[ooc]corrected die rolls[/ooc]
Ability & Skill UseShow
Knowledge (Arcana):
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]
[dice]5[/dice]
[dice]6[/dice]
[dice]7[/dice]
[dice]8[/dice]
[dice]9[/dice]

Spellcraft:
[dice]10[/dice]
[dice]11[/dice]
[dice]12[/dice]
[dice]13[/dice]
[dice]14[/dice]
[dice]15[/dice]
[dice]16[/dice]
[dice]17[/dice]
[dice]18[/dice]
[dice]19[/dice]
Image | Slarn: Android Spellblade

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by kabkal » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:27 am

The orc wakes up, appears to be a bit groggy at first. Shakes his head (a bit of droll splashes about). Gathers his gear and then gets out of the wagon. He blinks his eyes a few times to let his eyes get accustom to the light. And then he will look about to see what is going on.
ability and skill useShow
[dice]0[/dice] perception
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image Coty: Gnome/Summoner
ImageBART 1173:Andriod/Pisterol

JPetherick
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by JPetherick » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:18 pm

Kasidra asks for directions and, once everyone has descended from the wagon, the gnome responds. [talk]Follow me – just this way,[/talk] as he walks towards a walled area in the back corner of the warehouse. The small man opens the door and motions everyone to go inside, waving at the woman on the wagon as he does. Everyone follows along, looking about at the trade goods cluttering the inside of the warehouse. Bales, crates, chests and other containers are stacked nearly to the roof within the building. There are several burly warehouse workers moving things but everyone notices the particularly big pair that close the doors once the wagon is all the way outside. That pair follow the group to the back corner of the warehouse once they have barred the main doors.

Inside the walled area is a combination office and break room containing several large tables and a desk. There are two doors, one standing open to a cozy office and the other closed. The gnome gestures to the chairs around the tables as he walks to the office. [talk]I'll just be a minute while I get my gear. Sit down and rest before we go. Ahhh ... don't bother eating, in case you brought food. Probably not a good idea.[/talk]

The pair of workmen come in and the group recognizes that one is a half-orc while the other is particularly big human. While the human closes the door to warehouse, the half-orc crosses the room and opens the second door. The party catches a glimpse of the walls and realizes that the half-orc has entered a toilet provided for the workers in the warehouse. Since the half-orc leaves the door open, everyone gets the chance to study the walls and they are decorated just as you would expect for a warehouse washroom in a not particularly good part of town. Most of the drawings and scribbles on the walls are crude but there is a particularly interesting depiction of what looks to be a female dwarf in plate armor engaged in some kind of wrestling match with a snake creature - one with multiple tails and heads - or maybe several snake creatures. The noise coming from the toilet, however, isn't what you would expect - it sounds more like construction or demolition work.

The gnome finally returns from the office, bedecked in climbing or caving gear. He has a climbing harness strapped about his torso, dark gloves and boots on his feet along with a helmet strapped to his head. [talk]I apologize for the way we get into the sewers. It's secure, though, and no one is likely to look there. Any questions before we go?[/talk]
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge

smeltdm
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by smeltdm » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:30 pm

In response to the question, Striker replies... [talk]None.[/talk]
Image Evan Prost: Halfling/Rogue
Image Moe Human/Rogue
Image Belor Fletcher Human Cleric of Abadar

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey

UltimateWolf
BARON
BARON

Post by UltimateWolf » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:41 am

[talk]It's all good[/talk]

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by kabkal » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:24 pm

The orc shakes his head indicating no questions, or maybe he is just a bit lost about what is going on. He gathers his gear and gets up as if he is ready to get a move on and get out of the city.

smeltdm
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by smeltdm » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:39 pm

[talk]I do have one question[/talk] Striker comments as an afterthought... [talk]Why all the crates, chests, bales and other containers? Seem a bit much, what are you expecting?[/talk] Striker comments are made to gage any reaction from the gnome, and said just loud enough for the party to hear. Striker is fishing hoping to catch something.

Sense motive: [dice]0[/dice]
Image Moe Human/Rogue

Cain Eyebright
Divine Rank 7
Divine Rank 7

Post by Cain Eyebright » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:29 pm

*Actvate my Ioun Torch*

Ealdwulf
BARON
BARON

Post by Ealdwulf » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:46 pm

Kasidra looks to where it has been indicated they will be going to gain access to the sewers and raises an eyebrow slightly while getting a slight smirk on her face.

Paying attention to what the reply to Striker's question is, she gives a curt nod and says, [talk]I too am ready to depart[/talk]
Sense Motive CheckShow
[dice]0[/dice]
~~~
Ealdwulf
"The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist" ~ The Usual Suspects

SpoilerShow
Image Vanya: Half-Elf / Rogue
~ Slip Gallows Abbey - Player ~ | Kasidra: Tiefling / Paladin
Image Tessara: Half-Elf / Rogue
Image Roxana: Half-Elf / Magus

smeltdm
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by smeltdm » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:42 pm

Striker will activate his "Ioun Torch" and "Longstrider" spell (duration 6hrs-increases speed +10(speed from 20 to 30)) just before entering the sewers. Longstrider should also affect Precious, speed from 50' to 60' for 6 hrs.
Image Moe Human/Rogue

JPetherick
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by JPetherick » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:13 pm

The half-orc has completed whatever he was doing in the washroom after a lot of thumping and shuffling noises. When the gnome holds the door open, all of you can see that the seat has been swung upwards to leave an opening over 2 feet on each side. Moreover, a block and tackle has been suspended from a beam in the ceiling and the rope drops down through the newly revealed opening. The gnome strides overs and ties the rope to his climbing harness.

[talk]Orfo and Fener will lower each of you down. I'll go first and make sure the way is clear. There shouldn't be anyone else using this stretch of tunnel but you never know. Watch the sides when you're on the rope ... you know.[/talk]

With that, the gnome hops up the edge of the opening and nods to the half-orc. That sturdy fellow grips the rope and takes up the slack. Once the rope is taut, the gnome steps free and reaches out to stop any swinging. When he is ready, the gnome nods and the half-orc begins to slowly let out the rope to lower the gnome into the sewers. After less than a minute, the rope goes slack for a moment but the half-orc waits until the rope bounces twice before retrieving it. Once the end is visible, the half-orc grunts. [talk]Who's first?[/talk]

UltimateWolf
BARON
BARON

Post by UltimateWolf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:40 am

[talk]I'll go last and won't need the rope![/talk] Not liking being tied up and letting his life in the hands of others, he will cast Levitate (20'/rnd - 9 min) just before going down.

Also after what the gnome said, Thoros prefer to be prepared for anything, by the time the gnome reaches the bottom of the sewer, he casted on himself 3 buffs.

Liking animals and knowing a bit about them, Thoros suspect that Striker's companion won't like the ride down. Looking at Striker [talk]I suspect Precious will not like being tied up for this ride, if she'll let me, I could slowly and freely lift her down?[/talk]
ACTIVE EFFECTS
- Magic Vestment on full plate (+2 Enh armor - 9 hrs)
- Magic Vestment on shield (+2 enh shield - 9 hrs)
- Magic Weapon (Greater) on morningstar (+2 enh - 9 hrs)
- Levitate (Self - 9 min)

AC now at 27 | Spell/Day left: 8x1st, 6x2nd, 5x3rd, 4x4th

smeltdm
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by smeltdm » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:00 pm

Striker accepts Thoros's offer to lower Precious down the shaft. [talk]Thank you, I will desend just ahead of Precious then ahead of you then.[/talk]
Image Moe Human/Rogue

UltimateWolf
BARON
BARON

Post by UltimateWolf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:42 pm

[talk]My pleasure![/talk] Looking at Precious... [talk]You'll see, it feels weird at first, but it will be fun![/talk]

[ae]Thoros ( AC 27 | Tch 11 | FF 26 ) ( Spells left: 8x1st, 5x2nd, 5x3rd, 4x4th )
- Magic Vestment on full plate (+2 enh armor - 9 hrs)
- Magic Vestment on shield (+2 enh shield - 9 hrs)
- Magic Weapon (Greater) on morningstar (+2 enh hit/dmg - 9 hrs)
- *Levitate (9 min)

Precious
- *Levitate (9 min)

* Cast just before our turn, without slowing the party[/ae]

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by kabkal » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:30 pm

Seeing no one else really wanting to go first, the orc steps up and gets ready to be lowered down the hole, acting as if he really does not understand the room that well.

Cain Eyebright
Divine Rank 7
Divine Rank 7

Post by Cain Eyebright » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:30 pm

After the orc steps up to go first: [talk]I will go down after him.[/talk]
Last edited by Cain Eyebright on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ealdwulf
BARON
BARON

Post by Ealdwulf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:50 pm

[talk]I will follow them down[/talk]
~~~
Ealdwulf
"The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist" ~ The Usual Suspects

SpoilerShow

JPetherick
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by JPetherick » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Thoros casts some preparatory spells and offers to carry Precious for Striker. While the pair are discussing the best way to arrange this, not to mention persuading the leopard to allow it, Garoth steps forward to descend first. The two workmen grab hold of the rope once Garoth has tied himself off and lower him into the sewer. His eyes easily adjust to the darkness and Garoth looks around as he descends. Finally, his feet touch the floor below and the rope goes slack. After untying, Garoth follows the gnome to the side.

Once by one, the others descend into the sewer where the gnome waits for them. The sewer is fetid and the stench nearly overwhelming. [talk]Yes, it's bad here. We'll go down this way for a bit before joining a main tunnel. The air is better there and we can make better time.[/talk] He looks up at the two ioun torches floating above the heads of Striker and Cleart while pursing his lips. [talk]Do you need those things? We try to be ... discreet ... down here. It's not too bad since it's day outside but you don't want to draw too much attention to ourselves.[/talk]

Before he leads them away, the gnome points to a cord concealed along the wall of the sewer tunnel. [talk]When you'r ready, pull on this. Pull it three times ... a pattern like this ... pull twice, pause and then pull again. We'll hear and let down the rope for you.[/talk]

The gnome leads the way to the larger tunnel, then turns right into a tunnel that parallels the river. Everyone has enough room to move but the two half-orcs do have to be cautious that their heads don't hit anything hanging from the ceiling. After roughly five minutes, the gnome leads them right into a larger, gently sloping tunnel. They are obviously now moving uphill away from the river, walking beside a trickle of sewage that runs through a shallow channel in the centre of the tunnel's floor. After going a short distance, the gnome turns into another tunnel that parallels the river.

[talk]Careful here. The ceiling's low in places ... I'm okay but you bigger folks may have to duck. We're going a short distance down here.[/talk]

The gnome leads them to a shadowed alcove where an opening is cleverly concealed. Everyone will have to duck to enter the low opening that the gnome stands beside. [talk]I've been down all the way to the far end. It's narrow so we'll need to be careful. And it's wet, too, so I'll appreciate it if you keep that cat under control and don't splash too much. We'll take a quarter hour, or so, to reach the end where I'll leave you. Feel free to use those glowing stones but I'd advise against torches or lanterns ... it's close in the tunnel.[/talk]

With that, the gnome ducks slightly and slips into the opening. It's dark in there but those with darkvision can see the gnome walking ahead of them. Once everyone ducks inside, they find that the tunnel is close both to the sides and overhead. It slopes down, presumably descending under the river, but not so quickly to present a danger of falling. Eventually, the party reaches a point where water begins to drip from overhead. The moisture collects on the floor, running downhill ahead of them. Shortly thereafter, the party begins to wade through dirty, stale-smelling water. It doesn't get over knee deep for the party but only the gnome's head is visible ahead of them, just barely above the water. Shortly after, the water stops getting deeper and then the floor begins to slope upwards. It continues to ascend until the group is certain that they are nearly back to the level of the sewers that they left. Shortly after this, the tunnel becomes wider and everyone can walk comfortably.

[talk]The tunnel ends just ahead. It dead ends so it's probably some kind of secret door. I don't know since that's not what I was hired to do. Remember, find your way back and summon help when you're ready.[/talk] With that, the gnome turns and returns back towards the warehouse.

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:49 pm

Garoth maneuvers his way to the front of the group and says [talk]Looks like this is where I start earning my pay.[/talk] as he starts taking a close look at the wall. Perception to find a secret door: [dice]0[/dice] If he finds a door he will then search it for traps : [dice]1[/dice]

smeltdm
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by smeltdm » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:43 pm

While Garoth is busy looking for a way thru the dead-end passage, Striker studies his new surroundings closely...
Knowledge checksShow
Knowledge Dungeon: [dice]0[/dice]
Knowledge Nature: [dice]1[/dice]
Image Moe Human/Rogue

Cain Eyebright
Divine Rank 7
Divine Rank 7

Post by Cain Eyebright » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Ability and Spell UseShow
I will take a look around with Detect Magic, recasting it if necessary (Let me know if I need to make more rolls, or if the first batch hasn't run out yet). Also visually search the area. Perception: [dice]0[/dice]

smeltdm
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by smeltdm » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:58 pm

smeltdm wrote:While Garoth is busy looking for a way thru the dead-end passage, Striker studies his new surroundings closely...
Knowledge checksShow
Knowledge Dungeon: [dice]85809:0[/dice]
Knowledge Nature: [dice]85809:1[/dice]
Perception checkShow
[dice]0[/dice]
Image Moe Human/Rogue

Ealdwulf
BARON
BARON

Post by Ealdwulf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:56 pm

Kasidra starts looking the area over closely
Ability and Skill checkShow
Detect Evil

Perception Check:[dice]0[/dice]
~~~
Ealdwulf

SpoilerShow

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by kabkal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:34 pm

While everyone is searching for different things, the orc keeps a watch for trouble. He keeps his hand on his weapon in case he needs to defend the group.

UltimateWolf
BARON
BARON

Post by UltimateWolf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:44 pm

So is Thoros looking at the way we came and keeping watch...

Return to “{PbP} Slip Gallows Abbey [ENDED]”