magic item picks

Enjoy an experimental trip into the world of play by post - explore the Kingdom of Tarati where peace currently rules, growth is at an all time high, and racism simply doesn't exist. Your DM is Sunbolt
Razgriz
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

magic item picks

Post by Razgriz » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:21 pm

how shall we do magic item picks...perhaps toss the thigns on a list and have sunbolt roll 1 d20 for each of us and pick one item we want in order from highest to lowest?
People in glass houses sink ships

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:38 pm

I think in character we should discuss who each item would best be suited to. That would be how we would do it in a normal game setting, shouldn;t be that much different here. If you want to speed things up we could have the discussion on this thread to hurry it along though.

So far, I believe my character is the only one to show interest in the potions. That is the only thing I am looking for.

Lickitys Plit
Templar
Templar

Post by Lickitys Plit » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:19 pm

There were a lot of things I was interested in. The Staff, wands, rods, robes...etc, but the restriction was one Item... I was hoping the amulet was a Wisdom (peridot). or the pearls were pearls of power (first level), the Vest Might have been a vest of resistance...etc... Lickitys is greedy, and wants them all, but Mycroft is smarter than that. And understands that we are only going to get one Item. So he was going down the list. If Anneka or I could get a wand of Cure light wounds, that would realy help the party also. But I forgot to ask for an Identification of the wands and staffs.
Lickitys Plit
Always on my way Somewhere Else.
It is not where you are going, It is the mode of travel

Razgriz
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Razgriz » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:22 am

Well what my group does is what i suggested earlier, but in character . It works out quiet well and everyone usually gets what they want.

Posted that and realized that it sounded very blunt and demanding did not mean it that way just meant it as an idea out there =)

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:25 am

These are the items that were checked by Dernahm.

Sapphire Ring
Chain Shirt
Studded Leather
Robes
Pearls - 2
Vest
Amulet
Potions - 3

There were other items mentioned in a previous post that were not checked by Dernahm. Going back to the previous post we have these (some magical, most not magical)

scrolls in cases
several chain shirts of different sizes and builds
three half plate at least one which will fit a dwarf
two sets of banded mail
three full plate,
two studded leather
a buckler
2 heavy steel shields
a heavy wood one
1 shortsword
long sword x4
3 bastard swords
a long spear
4 long bows with no arrows in site
a short bow
a cross bow
several staves
a rod
a wand
a crowbar
several backpacks
a mess of silk rope
a ring with a small sapphire
gold ring w/sapphire
two thundersticks
five smoke sticks
two "everburning" torches
six tanglefoot bags
a silver chain
an onyx statue of a small panda
ivory statue of an elephant
small gold braclet
a chess set w/brass and silver pieces
another bracelet with an amethyst set in it a copper chalice
a glass lens
two robes
a ceremonial plantium dagger
a tapestry of wool with a gorgeous design depicting the formation of the great river
a chalice of gold and another of platinum, then one of silver
a carved flute w/periodots afixed to it at various points
an amulet
a sapphire pendant on a gold chain
a fire opal pendant on a gold chain
two paintings
a gold and silver music box that plays a rather haunting tune which startles you all when you first hear it.

Wow, that is quite an inventory

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:47 pm

klakxor wrote:
Wow, that is quite an inventory
It is the hoard of two ancient wyrms....

Now- I trust you all see why I was dragging my feet on getting your guys starting gear. Oh - and don't worry overly about this being a monte hall style campaign - the next dragon hoard you see won't be nearly so glorious and you'll have to kill the dragon without the aid of three epic heros.

Lickitys Plit
Templar
Templar

Post by Lickitys Plit » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:59 pm

Yes, but do we get to keep this entire hoard?
Lickitys Plit

Razgriz
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Razgriz » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:19 pm

While that would be nice i believe we dont as they were saying we get 1 item and 500 gold or 3 gems...However if the great Dm Sunbolt would change his mind i dont htink any of us would have a problem with that would we?

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:58 pm

Lickitys Plit wrote:Yes, but do we get to keep this entire hoard?
SunBolt holds up a sign reading, "Monte Hall is out to lunch."

Razgriz
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Razgriz » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:38 pm

You lost me on the whole Monte Hall thing

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:19 am

Razgriz wrote:You lost me on the whole Monte Hall thing
Ah - kids... some many many years ago when the world had only just begun and the skies were stone and the earth was lead and you were free to do what ever pleases you... there was a TV game show called Let's Make A Deal. Monte Hall hosted the show, and was famous for giving people something for nothing. Have a paperclip in your purse? Here's a hundred dollars. I'll trade you your twenty five dollar prize for whatever is behind curtain number 1. (Oh, it's a live chicken... no wait, it's a live chicken on top of a BRAND NEW CAR!!!) etc....

Some people walked away the worse for the deals - most walked away happily ever after.

In D&D a DM known for giving out magic, coin, and treasure without getting the characters to work for it, it known as a Monte Hall DM. I am not one, truth be told. I was going to start you all out with a piece of magic and some pocket change - but rather than do so at character creation, I thought I'd give your group something overwhich to bond and some time to get to know eachother before "starting" the campaign in ernest. (Hard to believe we haven't even started yet, isn't it?) grin.

8)

Razgriz
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Razgriz » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:34 pm

So that still leads me to the question how shall we do picks?

Lickitys Plit
Templar
Templar

Post by Lickitys Plit » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:57 am

Well we could do as the Minister did (with the collection plate). Throw it all in the air and what god catches he keeps, and what comes back down we keep.

<grin>

However, I believe it should be Need before Greed. If a character could actually use an Item AND it makes sense for Her/Him to have it. Then they should have it (It doesn't make sense for a Fighter to have a wand of Magic missiles, but he may desperately need a potion of cure (light, moderate, serious) wounds). I do not believe that we should take turns getting magic. If magic shows up, you give it to the person that needs it. Even if they just received the last piece of magic.
Lickitys Plit

Razgriz
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Razgriz » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:06 pm

I agree with that but there are flaws as if what if we go thru a few treasures and nothing is geared towards say a rouge? but then we get a item thaat will do good for a magic user and ok for a rouge, what then?

Lickitys Plit
Templar
Templar

Post by Lickitys Plit » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:51 pm

Deal with that bridge when we reach it... do not reach for trouble.

That said.

Given that the Magic user(s) have all received a magic Item I would say give it to the rogue. I do not believe that it would upset the play or survival of the group. Also...does the rogue want it...there are a lot of ifs. But we are reasonable people (except maybe the dwarf <grin, Tongue in cheek>) and I think we would come to a good decision
Lickitys Plit

Return to “{PbP} The First Campaign [CLOSED]”