On the ocean

Enjoy an experimental trip into the world of play by post - explore the Kingdom of Tarati where peace currently rules, growth is at an all time high, and racism simply doesn't exist. Your DM is Sunbolt
Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

On the ocean

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:09 am

It's been two full days, and three full nights on board. The crew is more relaxed then when then when your voyage first started. Since, noone's died, your "mission" seems to be a cake walk. The Captain hasn't spoken with any of you since you first came on board, but - from time to time you see him watches your work and if it's pretty clear he's not thrilled with your level of skill, he does nod approvingly when you get something right, and hasn't said a word about any of your mistakes.

Randolf checks in with you everyday, tells you how greatful he is that you're there. He even has taken to calling your group the river runner's luckycharm. Hope you all have your clovers ready....

Than is in the crows nest at dawn on the third day with a sailor from the crew - a late teen xeph with dark hair that trails down into a thin ponytail he generally keeps wound around his left arm to keep it from getting in his way. He goes by the name Permous.
Just after sunrise, Permous yells down from the nest -

Sails to the east!



Most of you are just rousing from your nights sleep. This is the first interaction you've had with anything but the waves and the wind since the voyage began.

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:03 pm

Every time Randolph mentions clovers, Thandael retorts, with a perfectly straight face, "Sorry, no clovers. But I do have some holly and mistletoe here ..."

Thandael, given his limited need for sleep, has indeed taken to joining Permous in the crow's nest for the early morning watch. They both seem to enjoy watching the dawn break over the waves.

This morning, however, Permous alerts Thandael to something else in the direction of the rising sun. Just after that, the young xeph shouts the alert.

Thandael grasps his bow a little more tightly and says to Permous, "I see three sails ... Do other ships necessarily mean danger on this part of the sea?"
Image

User avatar
Cyntinia
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Cyntinia » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:22 am

Anneka was already awake and meditating over her copy of Lathander's Way, her version of the bible. Yet again she choose all healing spells for the day. She takes the time to close her book and place it in it's special pouch before she goes to see why everyone is rushing up the stairs.[/i]
Anneka Sunflare, Cleric of Lathander
½elf 5'3" blonde with blue eyes wearing clerical robes.

User avatar
steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: Ambridge, PA
Contact:

Post by steeladept » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:03 pm

Taman goes above decks to see what all the fuss is about.
Taman Malainus, Scout & Tarati Guide
Elf, 4'9", Brown Hair, Tan Skin, Brown Eyes

User avatar
guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:15 am
Location: WINNIPEG, CANADA
Contact:

Post by guysorrow » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:05 pm

Kelran has spent the last couple of days working on deck and getting to know the crew. In his few moments of spare time he has been practicing techniques with a borrowed rapier, thinking it to be a some what flashy but fun weapon.

Hearing the comotion this morning Kel grabs his bow and joins the others on deck.
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:47 pm

Again following the trusted scout, Aton goes on deck to see what the trouble is.

User avatar
steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: Ambridge, PA
Contact:

Post by steeladept » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:48 pm

guysorrow wrote:Kelran has spent the last couple of days working on deck and getting to know the crew. In his few moments of spare time he has been practicing techniques with a borrowed rapier, thinking it to be a some what flashy but fun weapon.
Taman asks Kelran, "So, you getting the hang of that blade yet? I find it quite handy. Perhaps I can show you a few moves..."
Taman Malainus, Scout & Tarati Guide
Elf, 4'9", Brown Hair, Tan Skin, Brown Eyes

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:46 pm

A sleepy but woken Dhanthus comes up with a mug in hand. (Not a smell of rum. Only water! :)) and says, "Howdy all. Seems like you been trainin up eyr."

User avatar
guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:15 am
Location: WINNIPEG, CANADA
Contact:

Post by guysorrow » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:18 am

steeladept wrote:Taman asks Kelran, "So, you getting the hang of that blade yet? I find it quite handy. Perhaps I can show you a few moves..."
"I would have thought a blade this thin to be a lot weaker, but it seems sturdy enough and it is quite fast. If you have time, I would be a willing student. For now I think I will still rely on my bow."

Kelran looks off to the east trying to get a glimpse of the ship. "Dhan, will this pose us any trouble?"
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:06 pm

"I think not, as long as the ship chores are done and all." as Dhanthus explains, "As of late there hasn't been any murders since you all boarded, I think that is a good sign but we'll know more of it later."

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:36 pm

Wow, you all made your spot check....
Thandael grasps his bow a little more tightly and says to Permous, "I see three sails ... Do other ships necessarily mean danger on this part of the sea?"
Not always, Permous says, but something about that ship just doesn't look right. - and not right is usually bad.


As you gather on the deck (except Thandael, who's still in the nest) you can clearly make out the ship as it approaches at high speed, growing closer. The first thing you all notice is that the ship is bigger than yours - much bigger. The second is that the sails are full and it's moving faster than you are. This strikes you as odd, as your ship has just as much sail, is smaller, and is moving in a different direction. . . .

The approaching ship has a figurehead of a kracken etched into the prow - much like the riverhead's own figurehead of an otter. The sails are tinged blue and the there are three catapults and a balista in ready view! (You know that the River Runner has only one catapult, aft, and one balista, forward)

The Captain appears on the forecastle and begins to order everyone to stations. He's wearing a different expresion than you've seen before, he's all business and grim faced. He's also wearing clothing you've never seen him don. A blood-red thick shirt and brown pants adorn the captain. He's armed with a shortsword and dagger and seems ready for the worst.

At his order, crew members begin to wind the catapult and unchain the balista, turning it to the port side (and the approaching ship).

As you watch, you see that the ship will be inside weapons ranger next round, and - unless something changes, will ram your ship the round after.

Randolf moves aft and takes the helm.

Any prep actions or long range actions need to be posted before Sunday.

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:51 pm

Surprise to see the captain looking to the east, glaring. He looks and amazed at the warship heading for us. He tries to identify the ships sail(flag), as he spills his water seeing the siege weapons of their possible adversary.

(SPOT +3)
OOC: Dang penalties from attribute. :P

IC:

He looks to the captain and says, "Beat the quarters and ready the bows or parley, sir?"

Dhanthus seems a little edgy and concerned of the contingent we're facing, though his sterned face washes the edge with calm assurances. As he goes down deck and grabs his tools for the worst.
Last edited by valinor on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:15 am
Location: WINNIPEG, CANADA
Contact:

Post by guysorrow » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:54 pm

Kel tries to find a spot agains a rail or stairs where he can support his legs to give him more stability. he readies his bow and awaits for the captain's orders and the ship to be in range before he takes a shot.
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:33 pm

Captain Gorman squints into the sun and the dark shadow emerging.

"Take weapons, I don't know who they are, but noone moves that fast towards a ship from the blind to give out candy and alms."

Those of you looking for markings, can't make out anything but shadows due to the position of the sun right behind the ship.

Just as you're readying yourselves - the other ship launches a balista bolt that flies across the water and soars directly towards the center mast of your ship.

Gorman curses and starts a shout when suddenly you all find yourselves tossed hard to the starboard. The ship itself seems to stop and turn, tilting - listing, and then settles again - the balista bolt - which looks like a tree trunk shaved to a point - blasts directly between the fore mast and the central mast, missing the sails and riggings by inches.


Randolf shouts out an appology, and you see the Captain smile and shake his head as he regains his footing. "Catapult!" he cries, and three crew men who have already tightened the catapult rush to fill it with a tub of pitch and light a foot long length of rope with a torch.

You notice the sudden turn has placed the incoming vessle nearly directly behind you - as you take a new heading of west by west-southwest.


"Ready Captain" -

"175 degrees... three turns tight... fire!"

The crew pivots the catapult just shy of the misen mast, turn the crank three more times to tighten the arm and then pull the lever - sending the barrel of pitch careening towards the enemy ship. It hits their foremast and spaltters - the pitch drenching the mast, sails and riggings. The fuse however doesn't light the flamable mess...

"Damn!" Cries the Captain. "Again - and fast."

The ship is caught up significantly and even with your new heading will clearly ram you by the end of the next turn.

Actions?

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:45 pm

Dhanthus readies his bow with a fire arrow and he shouts to the rest of the deck hand "BOWS TO THE SAILS AND CREWS OF THAT SHIP! MAKE SURE YER BLADES ARR NEARBY!"

"Hope ya'll enjoyin yer ride with us." as he winks at the party.

OOC:
Range
Composite Longbow (STR +1) Attack +3, Damage 1d8 +1
Melee
Elven Thinblades Attack +3, +3, Damage 1d8+1 Crit Rng 18-20 x2
Last edited by valinor on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:52 pm

Thandael begins chanting in an unfamiliar language, asking Rillifane to send his servant aid.

Casting Summon Natures Ally II (spontaneous cast, losing Lesser Restoration) to call a hippogriff. Targeting the spell so that the creature appears as close to the other ship as possible (range 30', but the hippogriff's fly speed is 100'). If possible, while casting the spell, Thandael will concentrate on designating the other ship's sails as the enemy, hoping the hippogriff can slow the other ship down. If sails don't count, Thandael will designate the crew manning the other ship's weapons as the enemy. Casting time is a full round, concentration +7.
Image

User avatar
guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:15 am
Location: WINNIPEG, CANADA
Contact:

Post by guysorrow » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:45 pm

Kelran dashes to the stern of the ship (move up to 40 if necessary). If he can spot who is at the pursuing vessel's helm and they are in range he will let lose an arrow. If he can not spot the helm he will fire at any crewmen with in range who are operating that ship's balista

mw longbow: range=150, atk+7, dmg 1d8
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:56 pm

Dhathus takes his bow, lights an arrow and launches one shot at the approaching ship - the shot flies directly into the missen mast and lodges itself, burning away.

Thandael begins casting.

Kelran, dodging crew members, gets to the stern and brings his arrows to bear - He spots the helm on the aft castle at the back of the other ship - past three masts and rigging galore - and fires a shot - and then a second before the first reaches its target. The first one puts a hole in a sale as it bobs down, the second flies right past the whole mess and as far as you can tell winds up in the ocean on the other side of the ship with a very very slight
"Splish" that none of you actually hear. (terrible listen rolls all around....).

He then notices that the balista crew is now pointing a very large arrow shaped tree stump directly at him, and winding the winch.

Crew memembers fire several arrows into the sails of the ship, making some very small holes in what's looking more and more like a giant version of your own ship.


As the ship approaches and is sure to ram you by the end of this coming round - you see a large Beast that looks like a cross between an eagle an d a horse suddenly appear in the air just in front of the closing ship. It dives at the mainsail and tears a huge hole through it.

For the first time, the ship seems to slow - the crew of the othership lets out curses and begins to fire their own arrows at the beast - which aptly dodges the haphazard barrage and flies around for another pass - most of their arrows only serve to add more holes to the already damaged sails.

Just then, the arrow Dhanthus fired, burns down and lights the pitch from the catapult, setting the misen mast aflame and slowing the ship even more.

Even with the sudden drop in speed - the other ship is still keeping pace with your own - they are now inside weapons range - a good twenty five feet away, and holding.

Captain Gorman is ordering the catapult crew, which has just finished loading the catapult and is tightening the arm for another shot.

Randolf has the ship moving at full speed and steady ahead.



Note: I will endeavor to have the Tuesday Validation in on time - but I will be out of town from Thursday through Sunday next week. If I can get on line - I'll pop in and validate - otherwise Tuesday will be it for about a week. Sorry.

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:00 pm

"KEEP FIRING MATEYS, LEST YA WANT DAVEY TO CLAIM YA!" as he yells at the crew, while looking for a commanding figure on the deck of the unknown ship.

"Ya'll have this much fun on yer wild adventures?!" as Dhanthus asks while shooting.

OOC: Can't find a suitable target he'll fire another fire arrow at the next sail. Still same stats as first, but if rammed will go melee when neccessary.

User avatar
steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: Ambridge, PA
Contact:

Post by steeladept » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:37 pm

Taman starts using his shortbow assisting in the barrages. He will take particular aim at the siege crews before they are able to hit the ship if possible. Specifically any catapult crews, as they are more likely to burn/sink the ship than the balista crews are.
Last edited by steeladept on Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taman Malainus, Scout & Tarati Guide
Elf, 4'9", Brown Hair, Tan Skin, Brown Eyes

User avatar
guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:15 am
Location: WINNIPEG, CANADA
Contact:

Post by guysorrow » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:32 am

Kelran will try to move and keep out of the balista's line of fire and begins firing arrows at the crewmen controlling it.
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:34 am

Thandael smiles, pleased with his hippogriff's success at shredding the other ship's sails. From his perch in the crow's nest, he launches an arrow at the balista crew, trying to hit the same target as Kelran.

Range 70', +6, 1d6+1[/i]
Image

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:00 pm

klakxor will hold steady on board ship, as close to the side as possible. With very little ranged weapons, he will set his spear as to push back anyone that tries to climb aboard.

User avatar
Cyntinia
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Cyntinia » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:13 pm

Anneka calls her mace to her side. If anyone gets within range for her to throw it at them she will but until then, she sweeps her eyes across the deck to make sure that no one has been hurt yet. If they have, she runs up with a healing spell.
Anneka Sunflare, Cleric of Lathander
½elf 5'3" blonde with blue eyes wearing clerical robes.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:20 pm

As the battle rages on the catapult lets loose with another barage of pitch - under Captain Gorman's excellent guidance, this one flies high over the first mast and explodes as it comes down in the middle of the rigging between the second and third masts. Flaming pitch showers down lighting much of the ropework.

The crew fires another volley of arrows - Taman, Kelran and Thandael among them. Dhanthus lites his arrow a flame and joins the third volley.

Several members of the other crew are now screaming in pain with sharp protruding objects and red stains growing on their jerkins.

The balista lets loose with another long near-tree sized bolt that flies directly into your aft sail. The ship slows and the coming vessels gains again - despite the flames engulfing most of it's own tattered sails.

The hippogrif manages to strike again at the mast holding the sail it had already destroyed - this time the mast itself breaks with a thunderous
crack!

and while it doesn't topple, it clearly begins leaning to one side being held up only by splinters and the burning rigging above.

The enemy catapult rings out for the first time - sending a spiked ball and chains right into the hippogrif - tearing at a wing and doing enough damage to send it careening into the ocean with a hearty splash.

The other two catapults are being loaded and drawn taught.

The ships are now close - only about ten feet apart.

The Kraken carving in the bow of the other ship springs to life! It's massive tentacles reach out flailing and grappling the aft of your own ship. Only two of the six mighty tentacles manage a clean catch and many of the crew find themselves flat on their backs as the River Runner's momentum suddenly breaks. Klakxor maintains his feet - mainly by leaning on his readied spear, as does Kelran, somehow. Thandael keeps his pearch, but Perimous falls out of the crowsnest by the sudden jerk and manages to cling and hold on to the edge with a precarrious grip.
(The rest of you are prone and must spend a move action regaining your feat).

At the moment none of you are injured - however, your ship is now tenuously grappled to another ship( that is aflame) and has taken moderate damage to its[the river runner's] sails.

You notivce that the enemy crew members on the other ship have their melee weapons ready and most of them do not seem to have any ranged weapons at all - (which might explain why the hippogrif was able to do so much damage in the last round....)

User avatar
steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: Ambridge, PA
Contact:

Post by steeladept » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:04 pm

Taman gets up and readies the rapier for the boarding party. He will engage the first enemy crewmen that boards within easy reach (with a charge attack).
Taman Malainus, Scout & Tarati Guide
Elf, 4'9", Brown Hair, Tan Skin, Brown Eyes

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:06 pm

Klakxor moves towards the aft of the ship. He lifts his free hand and as you hear him chant, a cone of fire shoots from his hands at the bow of the attached ship, as well as anyone at the bow.

Burning Hands - Ref Save DC16 3d4 +1 damage

User avatar
guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:15 am
Location: WINNIPEG, CANADA
Contact:

Post by guysorrow » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:27 am

Kelran continues firing arrows at the crew of the enemy ship trying to impede their attempts to board. He will fall back and try to stay out of melee as long as there is room to move and he can still take shots with his bow. Then finally draw a weapon when melee is the last resort (if he starts provoking attacks of opportunity).

(ooc: living kracken ship is a cool thing)
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:11 pm

Dhanthus says aloud "CUT OFF THOSE TENTACLE BOARDING PLANKS INCLUDING THAT BALISTA BOLT! THEY'RE JUST DRAGGING US WITH THEM, AN' FOR OUR SAKE MEN SHOOT THOSE SCURVVIES THAT TRIES TO BOARD US!" as Dhanthus gets up cursing up a storm for the bucket that hit him and lets loose another fire arrow to the catapults.

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:36 pm

Aton follows Klakxor, stopping just next to him. He places two fingers on his right hand to his temple, then extends a hand at anyone attempting to board the ship, as well as anyone in a precarious position.

Using 3 power points, if possible, on Disable, 25 foot cone, DC 16 will negates or subject acts like they have 0 HP for 3 minutes. Affects up to 6 HD.

edit: expending psionic focus to increase the DC by one, after I manifest I'll try to regain focus. Concetration +11

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} The First Campaign [CLOSED]”