Mopping up!

Enjoy an experimental trip into the world of play by post - explore the Kingdom of Tarati where peace currently rules, growth is at an all time high, and racism simply doesn't exist. Your DM is Sunbolt
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:02 am

"Although the attack from the other ship and your crewmates deaths are coincidental, lets face the fact that it is quite possible that they are not connected. Hopefully Aton can shed some light on that.

I would like to know more about what it is we are transporting. If the deaths started after the loading of the cargo, there may be more to it then meets the eye."

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:51 pm

"Agreed. And I forget my manners to you Anneka. You have saved my life at least twice now since the fighting started and I have yet to thank you properly. What says you to the thought of my giving to your god through you? Would that properly show my appreciation or must I do something myself?

While we are at it, can you and Klaxxor tarry just a moment. You too Thandael, I want you to look at something that I have been pondering since we were in port..."

Taman then goes and gets a smallish box and shows it to them. He points out three characters that may be words, or letters, or something else etched into the box.

"Do either of you know what this means or what this box is? I thought I had an idea, but thus far I have found little to make sense of it. All I know is I got it from a dealer in town at what seemed like a great price. It radiates a faint aura of magic and the deal was something I couldn't refuse, though part of the reason for the deal was the shop keeper couldn't identify it's exact purpose either. I nearly tried everything I could think of to determine what it is/does, but I have thusfar been unsuccessful."
Last edited by steeladept on Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taman Malainus, Scout & Tarati Guide
Elf, 4'9", Brown Hair, Tan Skin, Brown Eyes

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:00 pm

klakxor wrote:"Although the attack from the other ship and your crewmates deaths are coincidental, lets face the fact that it is quite possible that they are not connected. Hopefully Aton can shed some light on that.

I would like to know more about what it is we are transporting. If the deaths started after the loading of the cargo, there may be more to it then meets the eye."
"Coincidence maybe, but maybe not. Rillifane teaches that many things are more connected than they appear, even evil or unnatural things. In any case, I agree that perhaps the cargo is key. We should have a look at it."

Cyntinia
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Cyntinia » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:55 pm

[quote="steeladept"]"Agreed. And I forget my manners to you Anneka. You have saved my life at least twice now since the fighting started and I have yet to thank you properly. What says you to the thought of my giving to your god through you? Would that properly show my appreciation or must I do something myself?[quote]

You are both very welcome. Lathandar is very pleased with your gift of bravery and courage already. If you wish to give a few gold to the temple, that is up to you but all Lathandar asks for is pure honesty and true courage.

Okay, I'm out of spells now. Anyone else is going to have to wait for me to rest. Until then, I've been told that I make very good bate.
(Anneka bats her eyes)
Anneka Sunflare, Cleric of Lathander
½elf 5'3" blonde with blue eyes wearing clerical robes.

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:12 pm

Cyntinia wrote:Until then, I've been told that I make very good bate. (Anneka bats her eyes)
"Perhaps we should have you interrogating the prisoners then."
steeladept wrote:"Do either of you know what this means or what this box is? I thought I had an idea, but thus far I have found little to make sense of it. All I know is I got it from a dealer in town at what seemed like a great price. It radiates a faint aura of magic and the deal was something I couldn't refuse, though part of the reason for the deal was the shop keeper couldn't identify it's exact purpose either. I nearly tried everything I could think of to determine what it is/does, but I have thusfar been unsuccessful."
"I don't know that I have any spells that could help identify it, but I can at least take a look at it."

Knowledge - Arcana +7

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:49 pm

Thandael looks at the box closely, "As this is a manufactured item, I doubt I can provide much insight into it, beyond possibly telling you what type of wood it is made from." (If it's even wood at all)

Knowledge - Nature +6 ... the symbols don't happen to be in druidic do they :)

Cyntinia
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Cyntinia » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:49 pm

What odd things to write on a box
Anneka takes the box and rolls it over in her hands. She concentrates and prays for a minute before speaking: "Shys" means Box and "Shyr" means Boat. I'm not sure but I think "mor" is Ship, but there are no pictures of these things. Why would someone decorate a box with just words and in celestial at that?

guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by guysorrow » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:50 pm

Kelran looks at the box woth a puzzled expresion "I'm definitely no help here, those characters look jibberish to me. But your insight of box-boat-ship is very interesting Anneka, it's obvious you are for more useful than bait." Kel gives her a smile.
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:01 pm

"Indeed! Celestial, eh? Well, that tells me what these are and why they are the way they are, but why write them on the box like this?"

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:48 pm

As you all talk about the box and look it over not much happens until you give it to Anneka.
What odd things to write on a box
Anneka takes the box and rolls it over in her hands. She concentrates and prays for a minute before speaking: "Shys" means Box and "Shyr" means Boat.
As she speaks the box jumps from her hands and begins to - well unfold is the best way to put it. You all move away quickly and actually manage to stay away from the expanding mass. When it is done moving you see that it's about ten feet long - and has torn down several hammocks and moved footlockers aside - and none to gently. It's luckily only about four feet across and two feet tall. Inside the boat you find a pair of oars, a mast - folded down, an anchor and a lanteen sail - furled.
I'm not sure but I think "mor" is Ship, but there are no pictures of these thingsthat? . Why would someone decorate a box with just words and in celestial at that.
She finishes absently as her jaw drops.

However, the small boat doesn't move at all as she finishes her explanation.

(ooc, I was drinking a chocolate shake as I sat down and started to read this week's posts for validation. I'd like to thank Cyntinia for the feel of chocolate in my nostrils.... Luckily none of it got on the keyboard...)
(oh - and sorry for the late validation - most of the "official" action is happening in PMs - and I've been swamped this weekend. I'll do better next week.)

[/quote]

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:43 pm

Klakxor laughs and says:

"Well, that certainly is an interesting trick. Do you think you can undo it before the captain comes in and gives us hell for putting a boat in the middle of his boat.

Oh, and as long as we are aboard ship, I would keep that close at hand."

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:39 am

Thandael gasps as he dodges out of the way of the expanding boat. When the dust settles, he examines the boat and comments "Boat in a box? I guess it's like a turtle, compacted when it needs to be, and bigger when it needs to swim. Still, it never ceases to amaze me what crazy devices civilized folks come up with. Can you make it go back in its shell?"

valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by valinor » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:55 pm

Dhanthus comes walking back and to his surprise, "Whoa! What ya'll doin wit' a skiff in heyr?..." as he eyes the gathering as he eyes the doorway "Awright, how did you all get this in here?"

guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by guysorrow » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:59 pm

Coming out of his stunned silence Kel says "I think the important question is how do we get it out?" and he eyes Anneka skeptically.

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:12 pm

"WOW! Well, it moved when she said 'Shyr' so....

Then Taman looks squarely at the boat and says: "Shys"

He then turns to Klaxxor and states "I will indeed keep it close at hand, especially after that last little battle. Seeing how quickly one of these things can go down this far from land is not very comforting."

valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by valinor » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:33 pm

"Folks, please refrain from playing with something like that inside the ship." as he chuckles and smiles. "We don't need this ship to sink after we fought valiantly and with undue efforts from those hooligans." as he walks inside gingerly skirting the skiff to get to some fresh water and pickles.

Cyntinia
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Cyntinia » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:50 pm

Anneka looks in amazement at what happened when she spoke.
Umm, I don't think we should read this thing below deck from now on.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:10 pm

steeladept wrote:"WOW! Well, it moved when she said 'Shyr' so....

Thandael watches to see if the "turtle boat" goes back in its "shell" in response to Taman's command.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:37 pm

You all talk about in surprised tones...
The boat, with magnificent grace, remains just as it was.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:37 pm

For the record - "just as it was" means that you still have a small boat in the middle of the crew's bunks....

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:47 pm

"Well Anneka? What do you think? Shur again? Maybe Shur, Shys?"

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:22 pm

Thandael scratches his head and waits for the more intelligent party members to figure out how to deal with the magical "turtle boat"

Cyntinia
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Cyntinia » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:25 pm

Anneka starts to try different words in Celestial. Hopefully she pronounces them correctly. "close, back, box, small, shrink, done..."

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:15 pm

You all stand around the boat in the ship and stare and talk as Anneka, standing a few feet from the prow starts to try different words in Celestial - Pronounceing them correctly - "tyri, shas, shys, mar, mol, pyli..."

This time the boat moves, leaning over to one side as the ship sways a bit in the water....

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:56 pm

"I agree with Taman that reading it in reverse order is a reasonable idea. Anneka, since you have the tongue and know the language written, it is probably best for you to do it."

valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by valinor » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:54 am

"Uhm, if you all don't to shrink this thing before the captain comes and sees and have a baby to see this large skiff in here..." a gulped pause "Please." as he moves a little to the side to get away from the enlarging skiff.

guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by guysorrow » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:22 pm

Kelran shakes his head and laughs. "You know it's feeling a alittle cramped in here, I think I need some fresh air." He says as he scambles over the boat and out the cabain door. "Call me if you need me," he shouts back over his shoulder as he leaves.

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Icthius » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:29 pm

Sunny, are you getting any of my PMs? I've sent 3 or 4, but none of them show up as sent.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:52 pm

I only recieved the ones to which I've already replied...

Luckily, the rest of the party is keeping themselves busy trying to figure out their new toy. Too bad it didn't come with an instruction booklet... or maybe it did - too bad they don't know how to read it... grin....

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:48 pm

Thandael shakes his head and follows Kelran outside, muttering something about "crazy arcane turtle boat magic."

Return to “{PbP} The First Campaign [CLOSED]”