Laundry Lists

Enjoy an experimental trip into the world of play by post - explore the Kingdom of Tarati where peace currently rules, growth is at an all time high, and racism simply doesn't exist. Your DM is Sunbolt
Post Reply
Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Laundry Lists

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:44 am

Shalaan looks askance at the argument brewing between Aton and Thandeal. ..
Shalaan wrote:"Your friend is right - we're talking not only about saving me from having to look over my shoulder every time I walk out of this house... tree.. whatever! But also the balance and stability of the whole world for a very long time. Is she's made herself immune to the Death Bolt's ability to turn and burn itself, the coin, and her out - then clearly she'll be insane in short or and nearly unstoppable. And yet, I'm not about to quibble over money either. We'll look over your belonging and if you successfully bring me all three items, any of you that survive will receive 1000 gold pieces each. I'll give another 1000 to your captain if he agrees to release you from your duties and provide you transport when necessary.
Geolain wrote: And where are my manors! Everyone, please meet Calista, she used to be my apprentice, then she learned about the call fo the sea. If you'll excuse us for a moment, I must speak to her in private.
and with that the two leave the rest of you alone.


Kelran wrote:You already made one of these coins?! You didn’t think the list of ingredients said ‘bad idea’?!”and where did you get a diamond touched by death
Shalaan wrote:I researched a place, but before we could go, she brought me one, and I didn't ask where she got it. Actually, it's not far from here, if legends hold true. Some fifte years ago, a manor house owened by the Shiereed family stood in the woods west of the city. It burned to the ground during a lightning storm, though I have read a conflicting account that the locals burned it. The last of the Shiereed family to receive a proper burial, Adoolo, was buried with a large diamond - the size of apigeon's eff if the legends are true - in the crypts beneath the manor. Though the house is long gone, I'm sure the crypts remain. I can not go much further in my preparations until you bring me the diamond. If you leave now, you could be back with it before your ship needs to leave tomorrow. We can even have your item identified for you by then - I'll even provide the pearl.
At this point the other two return.
Last edited by Sunbolt on Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:15 am
Location: WINNIPEG, CANADA
Contact:

Post by guysorrow » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:02 pm

(what time of night is it? i'm picturing three in the morning or so? we are headed out in the morning right?)
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 5887
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:03 pm

Thandael hands over the amulet from his neck. Then comments:

"Ah, a crypt. Likely filled with all manner of unnatural abominations. This would be worth investigating, even were it not for our greater purpose."
Image

Catharsis
Horseman
Horseman
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:22 pm
Location: Zürich, Switzerland

Re: Laundry Lists

Post by Catharsis » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:36 pm

Sunbolt wrote:
Jeaolain wrote: And where are my manors! Everyone, please meet Calista, she used to be my apprentice, then she learned about the call fo the sea. If you'll excuse us for a moment, I must speak to her in private.
and with that the two leave the rest of you alone.

...

At this point the other two return.
The old woman hobbles after Jeaolain, her previously grumpy face now a wide grin. She calls out to the group, "Well then, it seems that we'll be crewmates for this noble journey. Pleased to meet you! I can't wait to feel the sway of a good ship's deck under my feet again."

After getting a few dubious looks from the others, a look of feigned realization crosses her shriveled face. "Oh, I forgot..." She snaps her fingers, and the elderly woman's form seems to wash off her like a layer of dust. She grows by a foot, her teetering limbs turn lithe, long and able, her gown becomes a well-made set of seaworthy clothes, and a fair blue-eyed face framed by raven-black hair emerges from the illusion. With a flourish, she sheathes the ornate rapier that had been her cane, and with a bow she says, "Allow me to introduce myself properly. Callisti Sarayé Quintessaldo, at your service."
Last edited by Catharsis on Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:50 pm

guysorrow wrote:(what time of night is it? i'm picturing three in the morning or so? we are headed out in the morning right?)
You left the boat at around 9ish, got to the inn, stayed through a couple of sets, then left about an hour or two later. There was the brief fight on the bridges, and then the trip to their "house." Now it's got to be close to 1am - maybe a bit earlier - you don't have a clock to tell you. You don't have to be back at your ship till noon to catch the midday tide.

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:13 pm

"Tis late. If we are to go on this expedition tonight, then we should make haste. Otherwise we need to ask the captain for more land time to complete it. Barring that, when we return from our next port we could always go for the diamond."

Klakxor basically lists off what he thinks our options are. Since he believes that we have already accepted this proposition, he is now more worried about how to get it done.

User avatar
guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:15 am
Location: WINNIPEG, CANADA
Contact:

Post by guysorrow » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:20 am

Kelran nods in agreement with Klakxor. "Looks like no sleep tonight. How much time on foot will it take to get to the crypts?"
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy

Catharsis
Horseman
Horseman
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:22 pm
Location: Zürich, Switzerland

Post by Catharsis » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:13 am

Callisti replies, "I've seen them from the outside, it took a good two hours to get there, though it was bright day at the time." She frowns at the thought of the crypts. "I don't like them. There are countless stories of the nameless evils that lurk in such haunted barrows, only waiting for new flesh to venture into their realm. I'd rather take on half a dozen pirates than one of their kind... at least you can trust a pirate to die of a blade through the heart!"

In thought, she adds, That reminds me, I should probably get myself a mace for this little midnight promenade. I hear the undead don't like being whacked with blunt objects.

She looks at the group appraisingly. "Do we at least have some divine help on our side?"

Edited

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:16 pm

Dhanthus just yawns waiting for the rest.

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 5887
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:38 pm

"Divine help?" says Thandael, "We shall have the power of Rillifane Rallathil at our side. And he does not suffer the presence of the unliving."

He looks at Anneka, "And my sister here may have something to add to that."
Image

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:32 pm

Well - seems like you're all in agreement - so, following Calisti, you make your way to the rope bridges - then down and out to the forest floor. In short order you are far removed from the lights of the city and deep in the forest.

Nearly two and a half hours of stumbling through the forest, stubbing your toes (those of you that don't have night vision or one type or another) and moving at a fair pace, despite the dark you find yourselves at the spot that Calisti remembers. In this area you can make out the twisted trees filled with thick, dark fgreen leaves that fill the woods. The woods are deathly still -- not even the sound of insects pieces the silence. It's quieter than sleep, it's clearly the quiet of death. (Though, for those of you who remember, not so quiet as the maddening cavern in the elemental arena under the mines.)

As you stop, you note two tall pillars that mark the enterance to the Shiereed estate. The two pillars stand by the north side of the road. Both are cracked, crumbling with age and the top of the western one is completely sheered off. The statue that once stood on the other pillar is mostly broken and gone. All that remains are th elower part of some many legged creature the likes of which you've yet to see. An overgorwn trail leads further into the dark forest.

You continue onto the estate and after another half an hour find a few crumbling stones stand on a solid rock foundation in the center of a clearing, not far from where you stand. The walls are sundered and many of them have completely fallen; a dark, unhealthy looking moss clings to most of them. Black vines grip the fallen walls where ever the moss is thin.

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 5887
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:40 pm

Thandael is quietly observant during the trip into the estate, pausing to examine the dead many legged creature and the strange moss and vines to see if he knows anything useful about them. (Spot +7, Listen +5, Knowledge: Nature +7)
Image

User avatar
guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:15 am
Location: WINNIPEG, CANADA
Contact:

Post by guysorrow » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:17 am

"How do you want to do this? Spread out and start searching for an entrance?" Kelran will ready his bow as he looks out into the darkness.
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy

Catharsis
Horseman
Horseman
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:22 pm
Location: Zürich, Switzerland

Post by Catharsis » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:49 pm

Callisti has been illuminating her way with the cool white light of Moonshard, her dagger, while keeping her targe at the ready. "Yes, I'm afraid my prior knowledge ends here. We'll have to search, but let's not stray too far from each other either." She walks around cautiously, looking out for an entrance or any sign of danger.

Listen, Spot +1; Search +3

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:33 pm

You begin your search of the area. Kelran startles a a large, black bird - which looks like a crow, except for its deformed beak. The creature flies up and disappears into the night sky, followed by the rest of the birds. Thandael observes as a large, darkcolored snake slides under a stone. Aton sees a dark squirrel dodge into the underbrush and disappear.

It takes nearly an hour of searching before Taman finds a stone trap door. It is heavy, but can be moved, as you prove when you all pitch in together to do so. It's size makes it difficult for any but two of you two get in their at once. After several attempts, however, Taman and Thandael manage to shift it open.
Foul air with a charnel stench issues forth as soon as you move the slab. Stone stpes lead down into the darkness. Both of the men, already breathing hard from the exertion, gasping and coughing. Luckily there don't seem to be any lasting effects, and the rest of you easily avoid the oddly colored cloud of dust, which dissipates even as you watch in the open night air.

It takes almost five minutes for the last of the cloud to clear itself, and for both Thandael and Taman to get their breathing under control. Anneka tends to both of them, to make certain they are fine, then off you move into the crypt.


The steps are wet and slimy and a musty smell fills the staircase. A scratching can occasionally be heard from behind the stone walls. You walk down, but after several feat Aton slips on some muck - and you all watch as he heads down several stairs, gracing each with his buttocks and a painfull sounding "whump-splush". This sound seems to upset the nearest inhabitants and you find yourselves beset by large rats - about three feet long each.

The first two find their way to Aton and begin biting - only one manages to pierce his skin, however (2 hps).
Anneka finds herself bothers by two rats aswell, and also takes a bite to the toe - Through her Boots! (1 hp). Taman, Kelran and Thandeal all manage to avoid any nips this round - Calisiti and Dhanthus both take two bites each Calisiti for 4 hps and Dhanthus for 5.

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:46 pm

Klakxor moves forward and stabs at a rat with his spear.

"Stupid critters, you're gonna slow us down."

Attack: +2 Damage: 1d8+1

OOC Guess I did not get bitten either??

User avatar
guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:15 am
Location: WINNIPEG, CANADA
Contact:

Post by guysorrow » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:54 am

Kelran will draw his short sword and begin thrusting it at the rats.

+5/ 1d6+2
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy

Catharsis
Horseman
Horseman
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:22 pm
Location: Zürich, Switzerland

Post by Catharsis » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:26 am

Callisti drops Moonshard to the floor, where it continues to provide illumination, draws her rapier instead and begins to skewer rats, nimbly stepping between them to get a better footing against them, and to draw them away from the noncombattants. "Rats! Let's hope that's the worst thing we meet down here."

Using Combat Expertise 2:
Rapier: +6, dmg 1d6+6, 18-20/x2
AC: 23; 24 vs one rat (Dodge)
Last edited by Catharsis on Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:53 am

Dhanthus swings at the rats along with the rest of the party.

OOC: Thinblade (x2) to hit +3 damage 1d8 +2 / 1d8

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 5887
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:04 pm

Thandael shouts, mostly to himself, "Foolish creatures! Why do you attack without warning? Without giving us a chance to deter you from actions that will mean your death."

Attacking with his club: +4, 1d6+1
Image

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:27 pm

Aton points his crossbow at the nearest rat and shoots.

+4, 1d8

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} The First Campaign [CLOSED]”