A quiet crypt

Enjoy an experimental trip into the world of play by post - explore the Kingdom of Tarati where peace currently rules, growth is at an all time high, and racism simply doesn't exist. Your DM is Sunbolt
Post Reply
Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

A quiet crypt

Post by Sunbolt » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:00 pm

A madhouse ensues, the creature tries to get to its feet but finds itself beset from every angle. Aton launches his crossbow into the thing, The fire elemental continues to burn at it - and the stench of rotting flesh and something that smells like burnt seaweed fills the air - Callisti, Taman, Dhanthus, and Klakxor all score hits from different angles, green ichor seeps forth from the many wounds, and just as the thing manages to get to its feat (The elemental still clinging to it) it takes another bolt from Thandeal's crossbow and falls backwards - dead to all appearances - of course, that might not mean much, since it was already sorta dead anyway - right?

The elemental continues to burn away at the remains and soon there's little left of the thing that was once the last mage to receive a proper burial in this crypt.

As the fire elemental dissapears - it's hunger and time on this realm gone - you notice that in the last embers of dieing firelight - where the creatures left tentacle used to be, is a shiny, sparkly diamond, reflecting the the flames into hundreds of little flames. The diamond is the size of a halfling's fist and looks perfect, having just been cleaned by elemental fire.

User avatar
steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: Ambridge, PA
Contact:

Post by steeladept » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:34 pm

"A diamond touched by death, perhaps?" states Taman as he points to the diamond. "That was what we came here for, correct?"
Taman Malainus, Scout & Tarati Guide
Elf, 4'9", Brown Hair, Tan Skin, Brown Eyes

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:52 am

"Yes Taman, that would be my guess as well."

Klakxor will get up and offer a hand to Anneka to help her up.

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5879
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:03 pm

It's fortunate that diamonds don't burn
Image

User avatar
steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: Ambridge, PA
Contact:

Post by steeladept » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:43 pm

"Indeed."
Taman Malainus, Scout & Tarati Guide
Elf, 4'9", Brown Hair, Tan Skin, Brown Eyes

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:07 pm

"Although you can shatter it to pieces." smiles Dhanthus.

Catharsis
Horseman
Horseman
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:22 pm
Location: Zürich, Switzerland

Post by Catharsis » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:01 pm

(OOC: Actually, diamonds do burn. They're pure carbon. :roll: Let's blame it on the "touched by death" thing.)

While the others take care of the diamond, Callisti takes a closer look at the dead body to see if there are other interesting details about it.

LOOT! :D
Search +3

User avatar
steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: Ambridge, PA
Contact:

Post by steeladept » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:21 am

Taman starts searching around the area for secret doors and/or compartments. Also looking out for traps.

"I will start looking here, lest we get surprised by another one of these things."
Taman Malainus, Scout & Tarati Guide
Elf, 4'9", Brown Hair, Tan Skin, Brown Eyes

User avatar
guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:15 am
Location: WINNIPEG, CANADA
Contact:

Post by guysorrow » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:54 pm

"I don't know about the rest of you but I'm tired. let's get out of here... Uh is there any danger in touching a diamond touched by death?"
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:08 am

Well - most of you stand around and talk about the diamond. Does it burn - doesn't it burn.... (ooc: diamonds are a carbon based crystal lattice, that can be "melted" if placed into an oven powered by lazers, but you could certainly drop it into a campfire and fish it out later without any affects to the value etc.)

Callisti does a bit of poking around in the area and opens and closes some coffins... since noone seems bothered or offended by this she continues through the crypt while the rest of you talk.

She discovers:

A book with a dozen page long versus in it, in a language she doesn't understand in the bottom of the first coffin that you all found empty earlier.
most of the other coffins only have bodies in them, all skeletal, even the clothing has been reduced to threads over the centuries since burial.

At this point she's only opened about five coffins - there're 47 remaining... do you continue to look in each one?

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:13 pm

Dhanthus seems restless and follows suit to assist Callisti in the crypt.

Catharsis
Horseman
Horseman
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:22 pm
Location: Zürich, Switzerland

Post by Catharsis » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:08 pm

Callisti doesn't quite trust the book, she suspects it might contain twisted magic or even traps. However, it can't hurt to have a cautious look, can it?

She slings her shield to the back of her shoulder, whispers a few syllables of arcane meaning while stroking the book, then carefully opens the cover, ready to drop it or duck if something should erupt from the pages.

Casting Read Magic

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:44 pm

"Well my companions, we have have found our diamond and seem to be none the worse for wear. Shall we return so that we may catch our boat out."

Klakxor seems restless.

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5879
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:18 pm

"I agree Klakxor. We have what we came for and I do not like this crypt at all."
Image

User avatar
steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: Ambridge, PA
Contact:

Post by steeladept » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:38 pm

"I agree. Looting the dead is just asking for trouble...Might pay off, but we don't need this trouble right now."
Taman Malainus, Scout & Tarati Guide
Elf, 4'9", Brown Hair, Tan Skin, Brown Eyes

User avatar
Cyntinia
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Cyntinia » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:04 pm

Anneka takes Callista's arm, "Please stop disturbing these people. They've earned their keepsakes and we have what we want. I do not think that ruining their rest will get us any real reward."

Anneka is very stern as she says this. She is willing to fight to make sure that no other crypt is disacrated.

(OOC: Still recovering from the c-section so I may be very late in posting on occasion)
Anneka Sunflare, Cleric of Lathander
½elf 5'3" blonde with blue eyes wearing clerical robes.

Catharsis
Horseman
Horseman
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:22 pm
Location: Zürich, Switzerland

Post by Catharsis » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:26 am

Callisti gently eases her arm out of Anneka's grip. "Don't worry, I'm not going to start opening random graves. But no doubt you'll agree that the undead are abominations against the natural order of things, and if this book can help us understand what led to these unholy developments, all the better."

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:57 am

"Could there be hidden areas in here?" asks Dhanthus.

OOC: Better take care of that wound and hope you feel a lot better.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:55 pm

Calisti begins to chant and Anneka interupts her. As you decide to stop looting the graves - Calisti begins to chant - again.

She casts her spell and discovers nothing in the book to respond to it. It is writing in verse format in a language you don't know.


What do you do next? (I need a consensus of a definite action)


ooc == I will be out of town through Sunday - Validations postponed, till my return.
Please pass on the word to anyone else who might care.
Also, please have a group decision on where you intend to go or what you intend to do by then.

Feel free to talk it out.

User avatar
Cyntinia
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Cyntinia » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:22 pm

Anneka waits until the chanting and searching is over. Than she says, "How about we return to the boat now. We have what we came for and I'd rather not unleash what is behinid that door."
Anneka Sunflare, Cleric of Lathander
½elf 5'3" blonde with blue eyes wearing clerical robes.

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5879
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:07 pm

Thandael nods his agreement with Anneka, "Yes, although I should stop at the wizard's tree first to see what they've discovered about that amulet. Callisti, did we need to return the diamond there or should we hang onto it for safekeeping?"
Image

Catharsis
Horseman
Horseman
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:22 pm
Location: Zürich, Switzerland

Post by Catharsis » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:46 am

Callisti replies, "In the end, it is Jeaolain who will need the diamond. We might as well leave it with him, he seems confident with the safety measures of his tree-home."

OOC: I'll be in Amsterdam for two days, maybe without net access.

User avatar
guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:15 am
Location: WINNIPEG, CANADA
Contact:

Post by guysorrow » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:59 am

"So the wizards tree, then on to the ship, then sleep for a week?" Kel says as he lets out a big yawn.
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:32 am

OOC: I lost my character sheet so I can't continue until I get that back

User avatar
steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: Ambridge, PA
Contact:

Post by steeladept » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:41 am

Taman says to Kel in a friendly, joking tone, "Very funny Kel. It has only been but one night. Can't you last even 24 hours awake? However, it sounds like a good plan for getting to the ship anyway. Now, Calisti, any idea how to catch the breath of a blue dragon or get some devil's blood spilled by a coward? We have proven none of us are true cowards, so we can not collect the blood ourselves. Perhaps Jeaolain's still has some from the last coin; or perhaps his friend has some? He seemed rather cowardly."
Taman Malainus, Scout & Tarati Guide
Elf, 4'9", Brown Hair, Tan Skin, Brown Eyes

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:27 am

"Well, lets get this done and go." suggests Dhanthus.

Catharsis
Horseman
Horseman
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:22 pm
Location: Zürich, Switzerland

Post by Catharsis » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:15 am

Callisti grins. "Back in the tree-house, I overheard one of your crew talking about a house in Devron, supposedly guarded by lesser devils. It sounds dubious, but we have no better lead."

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:27 pm

"All the better then, as long as we move sometime soon. I don't own the ship but the cap'n." as he yawns.

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} The First Campaign [CLOSED]”