back again

Enjoy an experimental trip into the world of play by post - explore the Kingdom of Tarati where peace currently rules, growth is at an all time high, and racism simply doesn't exist. Your DM is Sunbolt
Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

back again

Post by Sunbolt » Tue May 01, 2007 5:34 pm

The trip back is long and uneventful (much like the last two weeks, sorry about that....) you find yourself back just as daylight is breaking, and you are both tired and hungry.

As soon as you arrive, you see Shallaan hasn't been sleeping either. He escourts you into a "lower part" of the tree, which is set up with a forge - of all things! The smoke that he creates as he billows goes up through a branch-chute, and out of sight. He's clearly making the fire hot enough to melt a large lump of silvery metal. Those of you from Fepaldown immediately recognize it as Mithril, having spent much of you lives in the presence of the otherwise rare metal.

In between checking the fire, making sure it's hot, preparing the ore, and other related tasks, he speaks to you. His conversation is in stops - as he interrupts even himself to tend the forge with meticulous care, ignoring anything you say when he does so, and then turning his divided attention back to you only briefly until the forge demands his attention again.

"Thank you! This is it! Yes, the last one, I think, too. We'd best be perfect... perfect." And he blows the billows counting to seventeen, with each number he pushes out a large exhalation of air as he squeezes the brown and black billows closed.
"I'll keep this safe." He places the diamond in a chest that has very large bolts and latches that connect it to the floor. Then he locks the chest with six oversized locks.
"Oh - and you'll want this." He reaches for something, but then turns away and stokes the fire, adds fresh coal, and billows another seventeen times.
"Oh - and you'll want this." This time he reaches for a long pipe, about two feet in length and an inch in diameter, which he gives to Kelran. "It's for the lightning - the blue dragon's breath!. Have her or him, or it... breath it in there!"

Again he turns away to the fire, and manages the heat.

If you want to add anything or speak to him - this would be the time to try....

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Tue May 01, 2007 6:07 pm

Klakxor watches the scene carefully, making sure to keep quiet so as not to disturb him. When offered the pipe for the dragons breath, Klakxor will step forward and take it. Looking to the others, he turns back to the wizard and quietly says "thank you, we will return as soon as we can."

He then looks back to the group and shrugs his shoulders. He motions that perhaps they should be on their way.

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Tue May 01, 2007 10:16 pm

"Excuse me, but might you direct us to a friendly blue dragon that would obligingly fill that for us? I have only seen one other. It was black, scary, and none too friendly. If we didn't have friends who knew what they were doing, we would all have been electra-fried, or poisoned, or whatever dragons do before eating you!" says Taman, hoping against hope.
Taman Malainus, Scout & Tarati Guide
Elf, 4'9", Brown Hair, Tan Skin, Brown Eyes

guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by guysorrow » Wed May 02, 2007 3:55 pm

Kelran stands dumbfounded for a few moments looking at the long pipe in his hands. "What did you say we were supposed to do with this?! I mean you cant excpect us to ask a little blue meanie to pucker up and blow! This is insane." The a little quiter he mumbles as he looks back to the rod "Lucky this isnt a spear, I'd be done for sure then."
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy

valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by valinor » Thu May 03, 2007 10:38 am

"Seems all of us are gawking at the work, then again I haven't seen a metal like that before." as he rests his elbows on the pommels of his twin blades.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Thu May 03, 2007 4:06 pm

Thandael is not the least bit interested in the metalworking process, but the horn handed to Klakxor captures his attention. "Capturing lightning in an object seems somehow odd to me. But I suppose magic is magic."

"Speaking of which, Shallaan, did you have any luck identifying the properties of that amulet?"

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Fri May 04, 2007 11:38 pm

Shallaan looks puzzled for a moment when Klakxor tries to take the rod he'd handed to Kelran - but then firmly places it in Kelran's hand. "No, it's not a spear. It's a pipe. A spear is longer, and has a pointy tip. Haven't you ever seen one before?" He turns and gets back to the fire.. this time adding several handfulls of a colored powder that flashes each time he tosses it on to the flames and leaves the flame an odd purplish color. After blowing into the flames more with the billows he seems satisfied enough to turn back and say, "Oh, yes. The amulet. Very interesting piece of magic and more... At first glance it just seems to be marked as an amulet of Mighty Fists. An item I've assisted in crafting before. And the most powerful one at that. However, from what I can tell it's part divine magic, part arcane, and part psionic - which I didn't think could work in the same object as magic, but somehow it does. The item itself isn't intelligent, but seems to have the remnant of a spirit in it, some might call it a Fetish. It is tied to the positive, which means that it's powers can heal, but it's also necromantic, which is usually tied to the negative - lots of questions there. However, the function is straight forward. It keeps the wearer alive. It needs power to do so - and will absorb any nearby magic or psionic energy that the user might expend and transform it into life giving positive life energy. I'm sure it can be overwhelmed or starved out, but given enough power and enough time, it'll keep any one with psionic, arcane or divine magic alive, but since it will use their magic to do so - I'd make sure I had friends around - since those magic wielding types are more likely to rely on the same magic that feeds the amulet to get themselves out of whatever put them into life threatening danger to begin with, and with their magic feeding the amulet, it won't function right. I've never seen anything like it before, to be honest - I'd ask to keep it or trade for it, but we have more pressing matters, and this type of device is just the type of unexpected surprise that could turn the tide against the coin."
He then turns abruptly back to the fire as the fire starts to change from purple to an orange red. This time he applies a liquid to the fire and you watch as it goes from orange-red to blue, then to pure white. The mithril above starts to melt and flow, and he no longer pays any head to you at all.

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Sat May 05, 2007 10:10 pm

"Figures, just like most humans who want someone else to do the work. They tell you what they want and leave you to figure out how to get the impossible done. Well at least I can see they treat everyone that way, even their own kin. Let's go to the ship and get some rest then."

Taman then heads towards the door and then towards the ship if not stopped.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Sun May 06, 2007 12:46 am

Thandael takes the amulet back, exclaiming "Powerful magic indeed! What Dernham said let me to believe it would be useful in unarmed combat. Mighty Fists fits that. Those other properties you described go far toward explaining something that happened aboard our ship. I wasn't sure it had something to do with the amulet, but now I know."

He adds with a grin, "It explains why I'm not dead."

He nods at Taman's comment, "You know humans better than I do, but they do seem a little irrational at times." He shrugs and finishes by turning to follow Taman back to the ship.
Last edited by patransom on Sun May 06, 2007 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Icthius » Sun May 06, 2007 1:07 pm

"So...I guess we'll be heading out now. I can't say I relish the thought of facing a Dragon. Where are we finding one of those again?"

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Sun May 06, 2007 2:44 pm

"Well fella's, Permous said something about a house full of lesser devils in Devron last night. Lets get that part out of the way since we at least have some idea of where to go. Maybe we will be lucky enough to find a baby blue who will breath in Kelran's pipe for us on the way."

Klakxor chuckles at the idea of a baby dragon cooing at Kelran like he is its mother.

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Mon May 07, 2007 11:06 am

klakxor wrote:"Maybe we will be lucky enough to find a baby blue who will breath in Kelran's pipe for us on the way."
Taman snickers at the comment. "Fat chance we will be that lucky. More likely a VERY adult pair protecting a litter of young ones thinking we would make good snacks for them, with the way we attract trouble."

guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by guysorrow » Mon May 07, 2007 1:04 pm

klakxor wrote:"Maybe we will be lucky enough to find a baby blue who will breath in Kelran's pipe for us on the way."
steeladept wrote:[Taman snickers at the comment. "Fat chance we will be that lucky. More likely a VERY adult pair protecting a litter of young ones thinking we would make good snacks for them, with the way we attract trouble."
"My pipe is it? Thanks alot." Kelran sighs and then smiles. "This pipe wouldn't give any protection against utter stupidity would it? I think I'm going to need that."

Catharsis
Horseman
Horseman

Post by Catharsis » Mon May 07, 2007 5:28 pm

With great interest, Callisti listens to Shalaan recount his findings about the amulet. "So many effects in one amulet! Verily, this piece is high magic. It would sell for a fortune, and is likely worth many times more unsold, given its life-preserving qualities."

Her academic interest ignited, Callisti questions Shalaan: "Will it only absorb the user's own magic, or also that of bystanders? Will it work with magic drawn from scroll or wand by the wearer? How does the magnitude of the healing effect compare to a cleric's sacred art?"

To Thandael, she interjects with a grin and a wink, "Don't worry, I'm not the jealous type, merely curious."

Cyntinia
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Cyntinia » Mon May 07, 2007 7:40 pm

Anneka, having nothing to add to the conversation, just listens and follows. She does throw some dirty looks at people who complain about humans. She is half-human after all.
Anneka Sunflare, Cleric of Lathander
½elf 5'3" blonde with blue eyes wearing clerical robes.

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Mon May 07, 2007 10:00 pm

Cyntinia wrote:Anneka, having nothing to add to the conversation, just listens and follows. She does throw some dirty looks at people who complain about humans. She is half-human after all.
"What!?"

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Tue May 08, 2007 7:53 am

"No need to worry Anneka, Taman was just mentioning that about humans who want you to do something for them. So as long as we don't ask him to do anything, we fall under the radar of his statements. Ain't that right Taman."

Klakxor is getting quite the enjoyment out of this nice change in banter.

valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by valinor » Tue May 08, 2007 11:32 am

Dhanthus squints an eye in puzzlement at those complaining about humans.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Tue May 08, 2007 11:53 am

Thandael is thoroughly amused.

Cyntinia
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Cyntinia » Wed May 09, 2007 3:22 am

"Whatever, can we get going now?"
Anneka Sunflare, Cleric of Lathander
½elf 5'3" blonde with blue eyes wearing clerical robes.

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Wed May 09, 2007 9:45 pm

"Seriously, all I was asking for was a suggestion of HOW to accomplish the tasks put forth before us from someone who claims to have done so before...Is that really asking so much?"

Then Taman breaks down with a light laugh with everyone else.

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Icthius » Thu May 10, 2007 3:23 pm

"Look, whatever we're going to do we should get to it," an impatient Aton interrupts. "There'll be time for fun and games when we've gotten this dragon breath and are back here, nice and safe."

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Thu May 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Shallaan looks up at the littany of questions...

"What? I'm sorry, I can't split my attention now, or it will all be ruined. The metal is just right. I don't know how or where she found the dragon - but she used the other half of that pipe to bring me it's breath and it worked. And I know nothing else of the amulet. It is as I said. If time permitted, I'd spend weeks unraveling its secrets, maybe months. But I'm afraid this next step must be started now."

And again he turns away, this time he begins to actually work the softened mithril.

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Fri May 11, 2007 8:49 am

Taman goes back to the ship.

OOC - This was just to make this explicit since people seem to think we are standing around talking instead of moving while talking.

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Fri May 11, 2007 12:07 pm

OOC: Klakxor had turned to head out and I thought we were talking and laughing on the way to the ship

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Fri May 11, 2007 12:19 pm

Thandael follows Taman to the ship.

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Icthius » Fri May 11, 2007 12:31 pm

"About time we got on with it..." Aton grumbles as he walks behind the other two toward the ship.

Catharsis
Horseman
Horseman

Post by Catharsis » Fri May 11, 2007 1:56 pm

"Let's see that ship of yours!" says Callisti enthousiastically.

guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by guysorrow » Fri May 11, 2007 2:33 pm

As kel walks he fumbles with the rod trying to find a way to sling it though his gear "this is going to get in my way." he mumbles in frustration.

valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by valinor » Fri May 11, 2007 3:11 pm

"Well, I'm just waiting the next step with y'all." comments Dhanthus.

Return to “{PbP} The First Campaign [CLOSED]”