Around the town

Enjoy an experimental trip into the world of play by post - explore the Kingdom of Tarati where peace currently rules, growth is at an all time high, and racism simply doesn't exist. Your DM is Sunbolt
Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Around the town

Post by Sunbolt » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:16 pm

Here's where you will post if you're part of the group heading to "explore" the area.

You find the whole of the city to be clean and orderly. The streets are laid in a simple crisscross grid pattern. The streets are all labeled clearly at each corner, with streets running east and west, and avenues north and south. While each street isn't necessarily at a right angle to the avenues, it's pretty darn close.

You find people milling around in all the normal capacities. The shops nearby seem to cover just about every subject listed in clearly painted signs.

I need to know what direction you're going - or building you try to enter.

In the immediate area there is:

The ink and pen -
Books by the page -
The Sages -
Tinkers and Tinkerers -
Toys and Toils -
The Hall of Silence -
And of course, the inn you just left - The Gut and Feelings.

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:32 pm

"Hmm...Where do you think we should start Than? Should we check some of these bookstores out or venture elsewhere and get a lay of the area? I am thinking to get a feel for the lay of the city, but that is just me. Maybe someone has a city map...Maybe even in one of the bookstores?"[/b]
Taman Malainus, Scout & Tarati Guide
Elf, 4'9", Brown Hair, Tan Skin, Brown Eyes

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:38 pm

"I agree that getting a lay of the city seems wise. While I have no interest in books, you are right that a map might be useful. Maybe this building labelled 'The Sages' would be a good place to find that. Or even other information."

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:48 pm

The two of you enter the Sages and immediately are assaulted by the heady aroma of incense. It's powerful and it's everywhere in the store.

The layout is rather sparse actually, there are four men sitting at a table, candles with incense burn from the table and several pedestals placed in the corners of the room. There's a single door leading to the back. On the table there is a large pitcher of some drink you can't recognize from here and each has a clay mug they are drinking from. There is a fifth empty chair at the table, slightly pulled away.

They look up at you as you enter.

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:34 pm

Taman states to the group, "Hello, we are travellers and were just exploring your fine city a bit when we happened across your establishment. Do you, perchance, have a city map or other such that we might find useful for navigating this fine town?"

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:05 pm

Thandael tries to cover a sneeze as he smells the incense. He's perfectly happy to let Taman do the talking.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:42 pm

The men talk among themselves and then one turns to you and says, "Your papers, please, the cost is one copper."

Assuming you hand over your papers and the copper, he continues, "The best place for you to purchase a map would be the Books by the Page, if you are looking for convenience - as it is on this street. If you would like a cheaper map with higher quality, then the place is "Wall to Den Books. - which you will find three blocks north, one east, on the north side of the street.

"And I will add, for free, that we'd like more of a challenge, if you have another question."

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:24 pm

"Ah, I beg your pardon. We did not realize what it was that you did here. I was under the impression that you sold books, not information. Now that I know, I do have another question for you that is quite a bit more difficult. It is in regards to where we might be able to find a cooperative blue dragon that would lend us a bit of it's lightning - not in the killing sense either. At least I believe it is that, am I right Than? Do you have more to add that might be helpful to these kind gentlemen?"

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:55 pm

Thandael only nods his agreement with Taman's choice of questions and smiles in anticipation of the sages' response.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:24 am

The men again confer - "We know of Blue Dragons - the answer will cost you between 50 and 500 gold, but it does depend on that nature of the question - be it specific or vague. Ask what you wish us to answer.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:18 pm

Thandael looks in his coin pouch and spends some time trying to count. He turns to Taman, "I think I have only a little more 250 gold. If we cannot afford to ask about the dragon between us, maybe we should return with the others to ask later. Then we could ask about the house with demons for now."

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:42 pm

"Hmm...Indeed. I think, gentlemen, that we will need to collect the funds before we ask then. We shall be back when we have it together."

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:44 pm

The men seem nonplussed as you two leave. Where to now?

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:31 am

"Wall to Den Books do you think, Taman? The better the map, the easier it will be to explore."

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:08 pm

"Agreed"

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:12 pm

You follow the instructions as the men gave them, and find it surprisingly easy to navigate the streets. You are stopped once, and asked for your papers - after a cursory glance the guards allow you to pass unhindered otherwise. You do notice that others seem to be stopped at random for the same paper checking.

Once at the corner, you clearly see the sign

"Wall to Den Books" with a depiction of what can only be a huge library with little tiny ant sized people walking around. The art is horrible, and you're certain that a baby with a piece of coal could draw the proportions better.

As you enter into the store - you're amazed at the size. From the outside it looked only a few feet across. And it is - no more than fifteen feet from left to right, and both walls are lined with bookshelves. But once inside you see that it goes back - way back. Hundreds of feet deep and at least that high up. Ladders line both walls, and a spiral staircase leads up to the floors above. The right and left walls are separated from the floors above by about a foot and a half and go all the way to the top, allowing maximum storage of books. The higher floors are connected to the front and back of the building, and alternating with the spiral staircases (that are all dead center from left to right) there is column, that also contain shelving space for yet more books. Even the sides of the stair case seem to have books placed in them rather than just the empty space between rails that holds up the banister.

In the center of the store - between two staircase, with a single column sprouting from the center like a tree, is a large box shaped counter area inside of which sits a young Elven girl.

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:33 am

"Why do I feel like I just walked into a bag of holding?"

"Let's go ask her about the map" says Taman pointing to the elf.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:50 am

"I'm reminded of the dragon's den, except with books instead of gold."

Thandael approaches the elven girl, and speaks in elvish, "Greetings, sister, we seek a map of the town, something current."

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:49 pm

She doesn't even look at you, simply points to the stairs, "Third floor, seventh case on the right, second shelf."

(ooc - just in case you got the idea that this place was extra dimensional - I might have overdone it in the description. It's just deceptive from the outside. The layout inside and outside match foot for foot, but the open sides of the upper floors allow the bookshelves to run the entire depth and height of the building.)

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:37 pm

Thandael shrugs at the cold reception and heads as directed.

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:12 pm

"Thank you" says Taman as he follows Thandael.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:41 am

You make your way to the indicated space and find a series of maps and scroll cases. The section isn't huge, but the collection contains at least a dozen maps of the area. Some have the city and surrounding area, another has the entire Island, another is has the islands of Devron-Effra, some have just the north, south, east or west areas of the city - excluding the others. One is a topographical map (showing natural heights on the island with colors) another shows the sewer system that runs beneath the city. The final map of note is older - and shows the entire city (like the first two you looked at) but it's not the same as the first two - there's less information. It might just be out of date.

As you're about to put that one back, Taman notices another folded up map tucked underneath the spot where that map came from. Had you not taken it out, you would never have seen it. (Thandael didn't notice it, but noticed that Taman noticed something... grin)...

Upon taking it out, you find that there are directions and a series of places within the town marked with small black dots, there's a notation on the bottom that reads only "The fishing's down since the waters's warmed."

"There's one black dot larger than the others in a building that the other maps all refer to as "The open space." Based on the size and location, you figure it to be a warehouse of some sort.

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:16 am

"What do you make of this, Than?"

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:18 pm

Thandael scratches his head. "I don't know. Maybe this map is older than the others. Or maybe it has more information. We should take it, one of the others for comparison, and maybe this map of the sewers, seeing as how we always seem to end up underground ..." He shudders a bit at that thought.

If Taman has no objections, or other ideas about what they need to purchase, Thandael will take the maps to whoever it seems is in charge and ask how much to purchase them.

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:17 am

"Sounds like a wise plan. But be sure to keep the old one hidden as it was before, so it doesn't appear as though we found it and know why we want it."

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:10 am

You two head back down the stairs and, again, you find the elven maid at the counter, seemingly preoccupied, though you can't see anything that might be holding her attention.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:57 am

Thandael's not sure how to hide something at the same time as purchasing it, so he hands the maps to Taman to allow him to attempt whatever subterfuge might be needed.

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:21 pm

Taman takes the map and folds it into one of the other maps the way it was before.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:40 pm

Clarification - the map was folded up and placed UNDERNEATH the scroll case of the map you were looking for. You took out the scroll case, which caused the top of the folded map to lift up a bit (I'm sure you can picture taking a large piece of thick paper - like construction paper, folding it in half, and in half again, then you lay it down and it unfolds slightly on the crease - giving it a bit of a puffy/flappy thing going on.

IF you refold it the way it was, and replaced the other map, you'd be putting it back in the display shelving and weighting it down with the heavier map and scroll case.

IF you're trying to hide it and buy it at the same time - you'll need to do something else.

Does that make sense?

/ slightly unfolded map.

||
=
Map with scroll case on top - folded closed.

(I have no idea how that graphic is going to play out.... rofl.

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:34 am

OOC: Hah...Oops. Guess I misunderstood. Rereading I see you stated it right, I just didn't catch it that way.

In retrospect, let me replay it this way -

IC: Taman suggests "Let's take this one too."

OOC: It is a very lawful town, so he would not TRY to break the law, though if it were folded in before, he would play off he never saw it...

Return to “{PbP} The First Campaign [CLOSED]”