mapping program

Enjoy an experimental trip into the world of play by post - explore the Kingdom of Tarati where peace currently rules, growth is at an all time high, and racism simply doesn't exist. Your DM is Sunbolt
Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

mapping program

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:24 am

Here's a general question:

Does anyone know a good map making program?

I used to own a fractal mapper - but that was at least two computers ago and many years.... and I just can't seem to locate the disk.

I'm trying to create a world map - or at least a map for the areas I've already generalized. I'd like something that sets up a general continent or so, and then lets me modify it so I can add mountains to the west and northeast, the river to the east that practically divides the continents east third, allows the islands/oceans to the south etc. I also need to be able to add forests, plains, arctic regions, roads and towns and cities for easy refference.

If anyone knows or has such a freeware (or an inexpensive shareware/other program) please let me know.

Thanks.

PS, once I create such a map - I'll be able to post it for everyone's easy refference.

And yes, I know I can do it by hand - but if I were an artist capable of drawing such things in a quality worthy of posting - I'd have scanned in a finished copy by now. Sigh.) 3 cheers for CAD!

guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by guysorrow » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:44 pm

i just found this map program a few days ago http://www.gryc.ws/autorealm.htm

have only tried it for about 20min, but it looks to have promise.

steeladept
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by steeladept » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:56 pm

Strange question and timing...

I used Fractal Mapper 7 for my mapping. They have an (almost) fully functional mapping demo for free. The main drawback is that you can't save any maps or edit the symbols library. Well, at least I wasn't able to. Anyway, it is fairly expensive for what it is if you ask me, but then again, I am not a DM and don't know all the ins and outs of the program. I find the easiest way to work with it is to develop your map, print it, then scan it back in. That is my save work around. Of course I can't re-edit it later, but there is a drawback to everything.... :lol:

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:51 pm

I found this by chance:
Readers' Tips Of The Week:
1. MapTool

Hi Johnn,

Here is a great mapping tool we use for online gaming: RPTools

It's also an open source project, so help is welcome. Thanks for your work
And that tool claims:
MapTool virtualizes the battle map, miniatures, and wet-erase markers. In combination with Voice over IP software this allows GMs and Players to get together virtually and interact much like they would at a session around the table.
now, THAT sound quite interesting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:45 pm

guysorrow wrote:i just found this map program a few days ago http://www.gryc.ws/autorealm.htm

have only tried it for about 20min, but it looks to have promise.
Ok - I got it and I downloaded it and used it some. It's not bad - I don't like that they don't have an eraser that can just wipe away lines - I have to go back and select then erase... but it's functional enough for what I have in mind. The bad news is I spent a couple of hours on it and that delayed my posting answers and getting things rolling here. So I'll finish the mapping in the next few weekends and get it to you guy later.

Time to get the ball rolling.

To the rest of you- I may check out the other programs to see if they're easier - but I'm not bothering with anything that won't let me save or open/upload the files... I'm still not sure the autorealm can be saved as a jpeg - so that might be a later concern.... (I may need to have everyone get the autorealm download just to read the map when I'm done.) We'll see.

Return to “{PbP} The First Campaign [CLOSED]”