Treasure Distribution, Shopping, and Meeting with the Wizard

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Treasure Distribution, Shopping, and Meeting with the Wizard

Post by patransom »

On the way back to the surface, the Touch of Idiocy effect on Marcus will wear off, so he is free to take another crack at spellcrafting the unidentified items on the following list. Dealing with the spellbooks will take a little longer, but we can also get to that in this thread.

Items that need identification or further investigation
  • Unidentified ancient book with a six-armed monster on the cover, written in a language unfamiliar to any of you (strong divination, abjuration, and conjuration: calling) $0 {Marcus}
  • Unidentified rod (strong aura of no particular school) $0 {Marcus}
  • Unidentified magical heavy steel shield (moderate abjuration and moderate evocation) $0 {Cyrius}
  • Unidentified necklace with two red beads (moderate evocation) $0 {Marcus}
  • Unidentified long feather in the shape of a coil (strong conjuration) $0 {Marcus}
  • Unidentified potion (faint illusion) $0 {Marcus}
  • 2x Unidentified potions (faint transmutation) $0
  • 4x Unidentified potions (moderate transmutation) $0
  • 5x Spellbooks $0
  • Filge's Spellbook $0
Once on the surface, the party will be free to sell off all the loot they gathered. I've updated the party loot list here. You've got one last crack at claiming anything on that list, but if it all gets sold, each character (including Tex) will receive 3,107 gp, 8 sp.

You will also have time to do some shopping in the town of Rastingdrung. Post here what sort of merchandise you might be looking for.

Once we've dealt with the accounting and such, we'll move on to more plot-related activities. Thanks for your patience.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Active Thread] Treasure Distribution and Shopping

Post by patransom »

Updated the loot thread after additional claims or returns. Each character's share is now 3,078 gp, 2 sp.

Waiting on some spellcraft rolls from Marcus for identifying items and posts from anyone else on things they might want to buy. Would it help if I made a list of items that are readily available? I think I could do that...
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

patransom wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:59 am...Would it help if I made a list of items that are readily available? I think I could do that...
Definitely.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

OUT OF CHARACTER
My Spellcraft is +10. Mind just rolling for me on the potions and spellbooks?

Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Marcus has no luck identifying any of the magic items...
OUT OF CHARACTER
That really was bad luck. His best roll was wasted on something impossible for him to identify and every other roll was below average.

...but he deciphers the spellbooks with the aid of read magic. They are books belonging to Filge, the Faceless One, and the nameless acolytes of the Faceless One. Without going into great detail, they all have some value, but only to a wizard. The only wizard in town is Marcus' friend and mentor, Master Allustan Penkawr. He might also have more luck identifying the magic items, and he will certainly be interested in the tale of what you found beneath the Dourstone Mine.

Will everyone join Marcus in visiting the wizard? If so, we can play that out in this thread...

Regarding shopping, any item worth 1,000 gp or less has a 75% chance of being available. So if there's something you want in that price range, it could be yours. Go to rolz, roll percentile dice, and get a 75 or less or I can roll it for you. In addition, the following more valuable items are available around town:
  • +1 full plate (2,650.0 gp)
  • cloak of elvenkind (2,500.0 gp)
  • +1 greatclub (2,305.0 gp)
  • +1 longbow (2,375.0 gp)
  • rope of climbing (3,000.0 gp)
  • ring of the grasping grave (2,000.0 gp)
  • flying ointment (2,250.0 gp)
  • dead man's headband (3,600.0 gp)
  • +2 half-plate (4,750.0 gp)
  • wand of mirror image (43 charges) (3,870.0 gp)
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

We're off to see the wizard!
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

After meeting with his montor, Marcus intends to seek out and buy: He also seeks out a pair of Daredevil Softpaws (1,400g), but is unsure if Softpaws can be found at all. If he can find the Softpaws he buys them. If not, he saves his gold in case he finds them later.
OUT OF CHARACTER
You gave % for items 1000g or less. the Softpaws are 1400g though. Would these be not available here or a lower % chance? Not important. Would be nice to have. Can always try looking for a pair at a later time. I did originally roll in rolz for boots of the cat, but just remembered i have ring of feather fall.

Image Image
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Looking on line I cannot find the prices for curing wands or healing potions. I would like to roll for those.

I also want to check for a cloak of resistance +1

Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Duniagdra wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:29 pmHe also seeks out a pair of Daredevil Softpaws (1,400g), but is unsure if Softpaws can be found at all. If he can find the Softpaws he buys them. If not, he saves his gold in case he finds them later.
No softpaws in Rastingdrung. :( Eventually the game will take you to a larger community where such things are more easily found.
kabkal wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:52 amLooking on line I cannot find the prices for curing wands or healing potions. I would like to roll for those.
Cure light wounds is a 1st level spell, cure moderate wounds is a 2nd level spell, and cure serious wounds is a 3rd level spell. So you can figure out potion prices from this table and wand prices from this one.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

kabkal wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:52 am Looking on line I cannot find the prices for curing wands or healing potions. I would like to roll for those.

I also want to check for a cloak of resistance +1

This should still work
Image Image
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel I shopping for the following:
  • Phylactery of Faithfulness (1000 gp)
  • Wand of Cure Light Wounds (CL1) (750 gp)
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Wand of CLW (nope)

Potion of CLW (nope)

Potion of CMW (yup)

So 1 cloak of resistance +1 (1000)
and 6 potions of CMW (1800)

Leaving me some spare change.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Active Thread] Treasure Distribution, Shopping, and Meeting with the Wizard

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Looking back, I see your last visit with the wizard was 7 years ago in real time! Wow, this game has been running a long time! Thanks for sticking with it.

For reference, Master Pankawr’s house is #18 on the map of Rastingdrung here

The party accompanies Marcus to visit his friend and mentor, Master Allustan Penkawr. Marcus, Cyrius, Lola, and Tex have met him before. This will be the first meeting for Worrel and Prost.

Like the last time you visited, you find Penkawr sitting in the yard outside his house, carefully examining a dragonchess board that rests on a tree stump. Like last time, no one else is present to play the game with him. He looks up as you approach. Oh, hello friends! Last I saw you, you were about to take on some work for Balabar Smenk. If you’ve finished his job, I hope you got whatever reward he was offering. It would be just like him to get murdered with debts unpaid.

OUT OF CHARACTER
The news of Balabar Smenk’s death comes as a surprise to you.

For a refresher on what you were doing for Smenk, you can review this thread. It’s the same one where you last talked to Penkawr. I’m working on cleaning up the formatting that got screwed up in the forum software update.

masterpenkawr.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: [Active Thread] Treasure Distribution, Shopping, and Meeting with the Wizard

Post by Duniagdra »

We had no knowledge of Smenk's death. Do you know what happened? Master Pankawr, we were hoping you might be able to identify these items for us.
Image Image
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost will look for upgrade of sling staff to +1: Image

Burglar’s bracers: Image

Ioun Torch: Image

Depending on success or failure above Prost will restock, varrious available bullets, potions, and other consumalbes.
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel hangs back, preferring to listen before engaging this wizard in conversation. He had met his new companions by happenstance, a good coincidence in many ways. But he is still unsure of his companions' motivations for exploring the tunnels.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost listens closely to any news of Balabar Smenk death and tries to recall what he knows of the man & his enemies...

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius looks for a cloak of resistance +1 (1,000 gp price)--
--and lucks out!
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

smeltdm wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:31 pm Prost listens closely to any news of Balabar Smenk death and tries to recall what he knows of the man & his enemies...

Here's a little more background on Smenk that everyone (except Worrel) should remember: http://theonlysheet.com/community/viewt ... 959#p75796

PM also on the way to Prost
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Smenk was found murdered in his own bed yesterday morning, throat cut, reports the wizard, It's unclear how the murderer got past his guards or his pet apes, but Balabar was seen in the company of a red-haired Amazon the night before. I'm not sure there's much in the way of a serious search for suspects, though. The man will not be missed by anyone I can think of.

Enough gossip, though. Let's see these items you want me to examine... Penkawr starts by reviewing the spellbooks. After some study, he concludes, Two of these are quite useful to me. I'll give you fair value for them: 836 gold. The other four are simply lesser duplicates of the first, so they contain nothing new. I can give you their value as blank books, 30 gold. Or you can hang on to them in case you encounter someone who might pay full price for the knowledge within, though that's unlikely around here.

Next, Penkawr spends some time examining the magic items. He identifies most of them easily:
  • Heavy steel shield of blinding +1 {Cyrius}
  • Feather token - whip {Marcus}
  • Elixir of Hiding {Marcus}
  • 2x Potion of fox's cunning (unclaimed)
  • 4x Potion of gaseous form (unclaimed)
For the remaining items (the book, the rod, and the necklace), he reports, These three items are rather more complex, especially the book. I might be able to discern their properties if I cast a spell to assist with the study. Normally, I'd charge a fee for doing so, but in your case, I'll do it in return for the full story of your recent adventures, including how you came across these treasures. Agreed? Don't leave out any details...

OUT OF CHARACTER
Feel free to just say "we tell the whole story," if that's what you want to do... Although, if you want to try to summarize the last seven years of posts in your own words, be my guest!

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

OUT OF CHARACTER
We do tell the wizard everything that happens in as much detail as possible. It takes some time telling it too as Marcus gives queues for everyone to chime in at various parts when the team was split or has details he does not. After all, we're all in this together. He tries making the tale as entertaining as possible.

All honesty, it would be amazing to tell it all in a post but I don't think there's enough text per post permitting. lol

I may take the time to read from the beginning though to put our time into a more fluid format that I think we might all enjoy. It won't be anytime soon to complete, but if you want I can give it a whirl.

Marcus adds the feather to his collection. He stows the 6 potions feeling we'd decide later whether to sell or divvy up. the 4 potions will definitely be handy to have. He accepts the 836g asking, could you please remind me their full value if we do find a buyer? He's thinking it wouldn't be hard to just hang on to them if he can get more gold later.
Image Image
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Marcus was referring to the four lesser copies at 30g. he feels holding on to them might be worth while should they end up in a position to sell for better price later elsewhere.

Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Apologies for the delay. Hopefully, the below will get us moving again.

Penkawr answers Marcus, The lesser spellbooks could be worth 135 gold each, if you could find the right buyer. You'd need to find four different wizards or someone who deals in such items, though. Maybe if you find yourselves in Tula someday...

After the party promises to tell their full tale, Penkawr casts his spell and identifies the remaining items. They are:
With that bit of business accomplished, Master Penkawr listens thoughtfully as the party tells the tale of their latest adventure. He interjects only when the party mentions the runes they saw and the messages they recovered from the cultists (all the stuff posted in the PLOT! thread). He asks to review these items (and I assume you share them).

After the party finishes the story, he comments, So, one of the cult leaders got away, you say? And she was a red-haired amazon? I wonder if there's any connection to Smenk's death... (I am referring to Kendra, who disappeared in the middle of your battle here. I thought I had posted a picture of her during that battle, but I can't find it. I'll add one below.)

In any case, it seems to me that the Triad's lair was part of the ancient City of Night’s Dawning, built by the Demonbrood invaders for unsavory purposes, but buried beneath Rastingdrung after the Orichalan Wind Dukes’ final victory. I believe by defeating the creature from the pool, you have averted the immediate threat to our fair town. Good work.

However, the information in this scroll concerns me. It speaks of undead infested with worms of the Outer Darkness, specifically within in the nearby Calenvicar Swamp. If such an an infestation exists so close to us, that would certainly represent a threat to Rastingdrung. And possibly the greater region or the whole world! Greatly troubling and certainly in need of investigation.

If anyone knows what’s going on in the Swamp, it would be an an old friend and colleague of mine, Marzena. Marzena is a witch who resides at Shadow Castle Keep on the edge of the Swamp. Being a good witch, she’s fallen out of favor with her coven (who are mostly bad witches) and now serves the garrison at the Keep as a sort of advisor on the kinds of trouble the swamp coven can be expected to stir up. I'm long overdue for a visit with Marzena anyway.

So I would propose, my friends, that you might accompany me on a short trip to Shadow Castle Keep. I could introduce you to Marzena and we could determine if this worm business is really a concern. I can't offer any compensation, but perhaps you might be motivated by civic duty? Or just a sense of adventure? Also, the swamp is lovely this time of year...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus is in favor of the journey and learning as much on what they've uncovered as possible. He knows going will likely lead him into another adventure.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

patransom wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:53 am ...Also, the swamp is lovely this time of year...
Tex snorts at this comment. I was raised near the Calenvicar, wizard. Lovely isn't a word to use for the place any time of year. He continues, But I'm up for a journey to me old hunting grounds. Should take us about two day to get to Shadow Castle Keep. Give us the evening to gather provisions, and I'd be ready to leave soon as the morning. How about the rest of ye?
OUT OF CHARACTER
I'm keeping Tex around as an NPC because he's going to be very useful to you for this particular adventure.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

The morning sounds fine to me. Marcus takes the necklace and rod.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I don't have access to my sheet right now. I don't remember if marcus has anything on his neck. I'll check later, but he views the necklace as expendable.

Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Ah, for the life of an adventurer, Cyrius declaims lightly. Travel to distant and exotic locales, meet all manner of unusual and interesting people, try not to get killed in the process. :mrgreen:
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

I have not associated much with witches because, as you say, many are evil. But you vouch for Marzena, continues Worrel. Your assessment of the threat is probably correct, unfortunately. I will also be ready to travel in the morning.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Smenk's death is a good thing, but it would be just like him to have sold my indentured servitude to one of the other mine barons. Count me in as long as we get away from here Prost chimes in...
OUT OF CHARACTER
Prost goes shopping for supplies...I'm gathering that none of the items I rolled for Prost are available...restock bullets, potions of dark vision (if avaialbe), will put list together this evning

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

smeltdm wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:07 am...I'm gathering that none of the items I rolled for Prost are available...
OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry, forgot to respond to Prost's previous post.

+1 slingstaff is >1,000 gp and therefore not available no matter what you roll.
Burglar's Bracers are 1,050 gp, but that's close enough and I think they are cool, so they're available given that you rolled <75%.
Ioun Torch is only 75 gp and you rolled <75%, so available.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”