[Active Thread] The Hall of Harsh Reflections

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

[Active Thread] The Hall of Harsh Reflections

Post by patransom »

Having sold and divided up the loot from their previous adventure, the party reconvenes at the home of the wizard, Allustan Penkawr, to plan for the proposed journey to Tula, City State of Mages.

I appreciate your willingness to undertake this errand, says Penkawr, I've written for you a letter of introduction to my old colleague, the sage Eligos. I'm certain he can help us make sense of this cultist and Age of Worms business. Eligos lives in the Garden District of Tula. As for getting there, well, let us refer to the map... He rolls out a large, detailed parchment showing the northern part of the Ghinor Highlands and proceeds, using Prestidigitation, to trace out several possible routes (see attached picture and Penkawr's descriptions below).

Option 1 (red on the map): The Direct Route
You can take the Badquen trail east from Rastingdrung, then branch off overland to the northeast. This involves overland travel through the trackless Wilderlands, but it should not be too difficult to navigate by the sun and major geographic reference points. This is the most direct, shortest distance route and should take just over 6 days on foot.

Option 2 (green on the map): Overland by Trail
You can follow the mine wagon trails to Badquen, then to Arquay, then to Tula. This is a longer route, but traveling along the trail is faster. The trip should take just under 6 days if you camp on the road. You could also stop to rest in Badquen and/or Arquay, taking advantage of the relative safety of the settlements, but it would probably add a day to the trip (because the towns aren’t positioned where you would otherwise choose to rest).

Option 3 (blue on the map): North, then by Boat
You can go due north to Woisdag via trail, and then hire passage on a merchant vessel. It should take less than 3 days to get to Woisdag. You might have to wait for a ride, which should cost around 6 gp each, but after that the actual travel time by sea to Tula should be only 15 hours or so. This could be the fastest route, depending on how long you have to wait to find passage.

Option 4 (also green): Able Carter Coaching Company
You can book passage with a local outfitter that runs mine wagon trains to Tula about once a month. The route is the same as option 2, and will take the same amount of time (although you don’t get to choose about the stops), but you’ll probably be safe, since the wagon trains are heavily guarded. Disadvantages are that it is expensive (75 gp each) and you’ll have to wait for the next wagon train to leave Rastingdrung.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: [Active Thread] The Hall of Harsh Reflections

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex wonders aloud, How dangerous are the lands between here and Tula? He pauses then adds, Are the seas safe from raiders? All being equal, I'd say we either take the direct route or the boat.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I just did a straight roll as I'm not sure what might apply here. Knowledge Geography and Nature are +11. Knowledge local is +3

Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

Ardrea likes of idea of traveling the trail with the option of the settlements (Option 2) and the north trail before going by sea (Option 3).
We may not need the settlements, and staying might delay our travel time. Should we encounter difficulties the settlements would offer some respite.
Teucer Argent - Zen Archer
Image Ardrea - Jinx Witch
Image Mazer: Goblin Champion
Image Arkyat, Orc Thaumaturge
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola is not thrilled with any of the options. She will travel however the party decides, but likes the fastest as the best option.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

ElectroZman wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:20 pmTex wonders aloud, How dangerous are the lands between here and Tula? He pauses then adds, Are the seas safe from raiders? All being equal, I'd say we either take the direct route or the boat.
Everyone knows that the uninhabited areas, whether land or sea, of the Wilderlands are always dangerous.

Tex's knowledge roll is good enough to know the following information:
  • Threats on the warm lowland plains between Rastingdrung and Tula could include bugbears, trolls, and dangerous insects or animals.
  • The open seas are much more dangerous than coastal waters, but raiding ships, from the buccaneers of Rallu (who are in a cold war with the wizards of Tula) and the Tarantine "Merchant's" Association, are sometimes encountered.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Anyone who wants to make a roll about specific features on a specific route can try the following:
  • For Option 1, Knowledge: Geography
  • For Option 2 and 4, Knowledge: Local
  • For Option 3, Knowledge: Local

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost checks with his sources on the routes proposed...

Option two seems to be the best to me Chimes in Prost...Thou we will need to keep our eyes out for bandits, I think. Possibly the Able Carter Coaching Company would hire us on as additional security, to pay for the ride...
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel listens to his companions as they debate the merits and drawbacks of the different routes. Unfortunately, he is new to these parts and does not have much knowledge.

"I would prefer to stay on the roads, since speed is likely important. Sailing may be faster but I would prefer to take a more direct route.
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius votes for the trail (Option 2). If the party can hire on as guards for one of the coaching company wagon trains that would be acceptable.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Sounds like it's decided. We're takin the trail then, Tex says. All thats left to do is ta find out if one of the wagon trains is leaving anytime soon an if we can hire on or not. If not, or they aint leaving in the next day or so, I'd rather go it alone than pay them 75G for the company.
Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

Ardrea nods and agrees with Tex.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost agrees also

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Having decided that the trails are the best option, the party makes its way from Penkawr's house (#18 on the map here) to the Able Carter Coaching Company (#21 on the map), which operates an inn and tavern as well as running wagon trains out of that location.

With a little effort, they are able to locate the wagon train manager, a laconic human named Nidlit, who reports that, conveniently, a mine caravan will be departing for Tula in only two days. He would be very happy to charge you 75 gp each to ride in a well-appointed carriage that would accompany the mine carts. He's about to show you the carriage when you interject that you'd really be more useful as paid guards, not passengers. He seems skeptical, both about the need for more guards and your competence as such. It's going to take some convincing...
Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

Ardrea floats up into the air (using her Flight hex) a foot or so and flits around the small room asking "My dear Nidlit. How may we prove ourselves capable of protecting your interests?"
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

OUT OF CHARACTER
The Zalamandra’s Emporium, gambling??? How does it work? Prost might like to try his luck with a stake of 500gp? do we have time for this before we depart?

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

smeltdm wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:02 am
OUT OF CHARACTER
The Zalamandra’s Emporium, gambling??? How does it work? Prost might like to try his luck with a stake of 500gp? do we have time for this before we depart?

Tex would tag along. Maybe play the spinny wheel thing.
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola tries to explain to the manager who we are, and what we have done as a team. Hiring us as guards would help the wagon train, and she guarantees upon death to make sure the wagon train makes it to its destination.

Diplomacy check: ranks: 4 - 2 for being male + 1 for possible attraction 17
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel listens to what his companions say before adding to the conversation. He makes a point of emphasizing his well maintained armorand weapons.

"Sir, as my companions have related, we are very likely over-qualified as caravan guards. My companions have a variety of useful talents and abilities, beyond the magical. Myself, I bring Mitra's healing and purifying light into the world. We could demonstrate, if you wish, but that should not be necessary."

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

I have experience as a caravan guard, sir,Cyrius states.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

I'm a fair tracker and scout meself, says Tex.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

With me in your party you won’t have much worry about being caught off guard by traps Prost chimes in.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

After Ardrea's demonstration, Lola and Worrel's persuasive explanations, and the others' comments, Nidlit's attitude seems to soften. I don't really have the budget for additional guards. I suppose I could fire my existing crew... lazy drunks. Would you each sign a one-year contract?
OUT OF CHARACTER
I'll provide some info about Zalamandra's Emporium after we finish this interaction.

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

"I am sorry, Nidlit," replies Worrel. "We were proposing to supplement your guards, rathee than seek permanent employment."

"We have pressing business in Tula. Maybe we could make the return trip with you, if our business is concluded quickly. But I would not expect so."
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost quietly stands by Worrel nodding in agreement.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry for the radio silence. Update coming soon.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Oh, says Nidlit, So you're proposing that the company would benefit if you make a one-way trip with us, as a sort of extra show of force? We don't usually do that. But I suppose we could let you come along if you paid a small fee, to account for your share of rations and the extra organizational headaches. There'd be no passenger carriage, you'd have to take your share of guard shifts and follow the orders of the caravan leader in case of conflict. If you agree to all that, I suppose it would work out if you paid 5 gold each... We leave in two days.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex mutters, That'd be the first time I ever paid anyone to work for em.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel thinks about the offer for a moment, sympathizing with Tex.

"That is not particularly charitable, my friend," replies Worrel to Nidlit. "Are you so sure that you will not need our assistance?
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

JPetherick wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:32 pm Worrel thinks about the offer for a moment, sympathizing with Tex.

"That is not particularly charitable, my friend," replies Worrel to Nidlit. "Are you so sure that you will not need our assistance?
Right. Because Able Carter Coaching Company is a business, not a charity, replies Nidlit. The trip to Tula is always dangerous, but we have guards. We make the trip safely most of the time already. If you guys aren't permanent replacements, then there are expenses to be paid. I think 5 gp is a good deal for getting to the city without too much danger.
OUT OF CHARACTER
You might be able to negotiate him down a bit, but you aren't likely to get him to pay you.

Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

I think we will take up your generous offer Nidlet. Your offer seems more than fair.

This saves us 70 gold from the previous deal. In addition offers additional protection, shelter if needed, and food. Supplies we would be buying anyway for the trip.
patransom wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:16 pm Oh, says Nidlit, So you're proposing that the company would benefit if you make a one-way trip with us, as a sort of extra show of force? We don't usually do that. But I suppose we could let you come along if you paid a small fee, to account for your share of rations and the extra organizational headaches. There'd be no passenger carriage, you'd have to take your share of guard shifts and follow the orders of the caravan leader in case of conflict. If you agree to all that, I suppose it would work out if you paid 5 gold each... We leave in two days.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Sounds fair to me! That means more money for gambling. Prost comments, anxious to get to the gambling tables.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”