The Second Face of Evil

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Re: [Active Thread] The Second Face of Evil

Post by CGM3 »

Heeding Prost's call, Cyrius steps back to 0313 while still maintaining total defense.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 21 Continues

Tex (presumably) continues his full defensive stance.

Round 22 Begins

Heeding Prost's call (below), Cyrius steps back while still maintaining total defense.

Lola zaps Cyrius this time with the CLW wand [healed 8 hp].

Worrell prepares another arrow, and fires at G8, who's peering around the corner [it's the best shot he's gonna get]. He hits and kills the critter [11 hp damage].

Step back and draw them in... Prost loads his sling staff and readies to fire at first Grimlock that shows his face...

Marcus does nothing.

Grimlock 5 approaches the corner, triggering Prost's readied action. Prost hits and kills him [3 hp damage].

COMBAT FINALLY ENDS!
ACTIVE EFFECTS
Bless on all party members: +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects, 2.4 min left

Texudus TreeBender: battleaxe readied, longbow in off hand, 10 arrows left, 30 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: mind blade longsword readied, sunrod tucked in belt, 14 bolts left, 30 hp damage
Lola: wand of CLW readied, 25 charges left, 30 bolts left, 0 channel energy, 5 storm burst left, 3 hp damage
Worrel: longbow readied, shield dropped at L on old map, 85 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 37 hp damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff in one hand, sunrod in other hand, another sunrod dropped at 1815, 18 regular bullets left, loaded crossbow dropped at 2215, ZERO (0) bolts left, darkvision 160.9 min, uninjured
Marcus Tilsworth: loaded crossbow readied, 2 elemental rays left, 18 bolts left, 20 hp damage
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Relieved the battle has finally ended, Marcus looks for whatever healing might be available. "Do any of the bodies have any potions?" He hopes as some point to find some bolts for his crossbow since his stock is getting low.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost begins searching the fallin foes for anything of use to the party...
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The dead grimlock spearmen have nothing of great value on them (longspears and heavy wooden shields; probably more trouble to carry than they're worth). The dead chieftain is a different story. Found on him are:
  • A potion
  • A mithral shirt (at least masterwork)
  • A greataxe (at least masterwork)
  • A pouch with 30 gp
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius pulls the sunrod from his belt and steps to 0515, peering down the tunnel in case grimlock reinforcements appear. [talk]So, should we go see what these creatures were guarding in their cave and risk finding they had friends, or retreat to lick our wounds and come back later, possibly when another band has replaced them?[/talk] he asks of the party.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

We can't keep stopping to recharge. Time is wasting. Let's keep pushing forward. Mend out would now and have a better plan further up.
Image Image
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost nods in agreement to Marcus's suggestion... [talk]Yes, we should at least check out the cave ahead before making any decision.[/talk] Prost will hand off his Sunrod to anyone else that needs the light, and taking point to quitly move forward.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

When the group moves out, Cyrius will follow behind Prost with his mind blade readied.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

[talk]Let's do what healing we can quickly, then continue exploring. We're all weakened so we'll have to be careful,[/talk] says Worrell. [talk]Unfortunately, I have already used all of the blessing granted to me.[/talk]

The paladin checks his bow and ensures that his sword is free in its sheath. When they move out, he will pick up his shield.
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[ooc]Anybody able to identify that potion off the grimlock chief?[/ooc]
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost offers what clw potion/s he is carrying to those that need healing...and asks Lola about the potion they found on the dead chieftain[talk]What about this potion? I it clw potion?[/talk] Prost takes a sniff to see if it smells the same and hands it to Lola.
[ooc]Pat, I show Prost has two clw potions, but I think that is suppose to be one...what do you show?[/ooc]

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will check out the potion and see what she can tell about it.
(I thought I had gone through all my spells, but TOS tells me I have not, so if TOS is correct I will do the following)

Lola will cast 3 CMW
Worrel: [dice]0[/dice]
Tex: [dice]1[/dice]
Cyrius: [dice]2[/dice]
and 3 CLW
Worrel: [dice]3[/dice]
Tex: [dice]4[/dice]
Cyrius: [dice]5[/dice]

And now out of spells

(if I don't have the spells will zap with the wand 2 times each - which if need to will put the wand at 19 charges, and be out of spells)
Worrel: [dice]6[/dice]
Tex: [dice]7[/dice]
Cyrius: [dice]8[/dice]
Worrel: [dice]9[/dice]
Tex: [dice]10[/dice]
Cyrius: [dice]11[/dice]
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex agrees with a grunt, that we should continue on.

and appreciates any healing.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry for the delay. I have applied the healing (see below) and moved you back to the cave where the combat started. I assumed everyone picked up their dropped gear on the way.

Before you proceed, feel free to do some more healing. Note in particular that Marcus has 20 hp damage, which seems like a lot for a 4th level sorcerer...

Also feel free to attempt more identification of magic items. I assumed someone picked up the gear from the grimlock chief...

The party quickly discusses their plans and agrees to return to the grimlock cave. Before they depart, Prost and Lola attempt to identify the potion. Neither is able to discern its purpose [but others are welcome to try - a perception check or a detect magic+spellcraft].

Lola uses all of her remaining spells for healing [She had 2 first and 1 second level left, not a complete set; she still has her domain spells left, which cannot be used with spontaneous casting]. She then uses her wand to add some more healing [I went ahead with two wand zaps each, since you didn't have so many CMW to use]. Worrel, Tex, and Cyrius each get some healing [new damage totals below].

Prost shows everyone that he has two healing potions left. No one immediately requests them...

The party makes it back to the cave where they first encountered the band of grimlocks. The cave is much as it appeared before (but with fewer grimlocks): The roof of this large cavern glistens twenty feet above and is traced with faint veins of iron ore. The quarters here are tight and cramped. Barely ten feet to the east, the cavern floor rises up into a nearly vertical slope (the purple line on the map).
ACTIVE EFFECTS
Texudus TreeBender: battleaxe readied, longbow in off hand, 10 arrows left, 15 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: mind blade longsword readied, sunrod in off hand, 14 bolts left, 9 hp damage
Lola: wand of CLW readied, 19 charges left, 30 bolts left, 0 channel energy, 5 storm burst left, only domain spells left, 3 hp damage
Worrel: longbow readied, 85 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 10 hp damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff in one hand, sunrod in other hand, 18 regular bullets left, ZERO (0) bolts left, darkvision 158.5 min, uninjured
Marcus Tilsworth: loaded crossbow readied, 2 elemental rays left, 18 bolts left, 20 hp damage
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[ooc]Cyrius will try to identify the mystery potion with a Perception check: 1d20+8
[dice]0[/dice][/ooc]

[talk]So, which of us has the best chance of climbing to the top and securing a line for the rest?[/talk] he asks.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

[talk]Don't look to me for climbing,[/talk] states Worrell. The paladin does invoke his ability to detect evil, however, and scans the immediate area ahead of the party.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Detect Evil

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus will use his training to identify any items still unknown. He also remarks to his need for some health.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]FYI: Climbing the slopes in this room will require only a DC 5 climb check, so everyone should be able to do it without difficulty by taking 10.[/ooc]
Using detect magic, Marcus identifies the grimlock chief's armor as a +1 mithral shirt. However, he is unable to identify the potion (although he can confirm it is magical), either with detect magic or by mundane means. Nothing else is magical.

Cyrius also fails to identify the potion.

Worrell detects no evil within the range of his ability.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[ooc]Cyrius would like to take the +1 mithral shirt, and will offer the +1 studded leather (Medium sized, +4 AC, +5 max Dex bonus, -1 ACP, 15% arcane spell failure, 20 lbs) he's currently wearing for someone else to use.[/ooc]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

[talk]I can climb pretty well. I'll take a rope up there.[/talk]

Tex hauls a coil of rope up the cliff, carefully picking his hand and foot holds.

[ooc]Tex will take 10, giving him an 18 if that's not enough, i'll throw out a roll and see what happens.[/ooc]
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Now that things calm down Lola will look in her bag for anything helpful. Will pull out the Pearl of Power and get another CLW spell and cast it on Marcus.

[dice]0[/dice]

She will also pull out her two CLW potions and see if anyone wants one.

she will then ask [talk]Do you suppose we can find a place to rest and heal some more? I am exhausted from all of these battles, and I have no more to offer for healing.[/talk]
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost will climb up to top and start to scouting the area (looking for traps and other nasty things) and some place safe were they can rest...
Climb Check: [dice]0[/dice]
Perception check: [dice]1[/dice] plus 2 for trapfinding...

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrell will guard the rear of the party until it is his turn to ascend the cliff using the rope. Once he is atop the ledge, he scans ahead again with his ability to detect evil.

[ooc]Climb (Take 10) =8

Use Detect Evil paladin ability[/ooc]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Without even needing a rope, the party climbs the short cliff into the grimlock chamber.

Cyrius dons the +1 mithral shirt and offers his +1 studded leather for someone else. When no one claims it, it gets stuffed into Prost's haversack [I've updated your treasure list here].

Lola uses her pearl of power to heal Marcus [healed 8 hp]. Lola shows everyone that she has two potions of CLW left. This makes four available, including those carried by Prost. No one immediately drinks them...

Since Worrel's ability detects no evil nearby, the party is able to explore the immediate vicinity.

To the northeast is a chamber where the scent of rotting meat and offal fills the air. Moldering furs, crude bedrolls, and other signs of a campsite cover the floor of this large, natural cave.

The chamber to the southeast presents a macabre sight. A bewildering variety of humanoid and monstrous skulls are mounted on the walls just outside this chamber with crude, iron spikes. The chamber beyond is a small, cramped space that smells strongly of damp earth. A great pile of furs and blankets lies in the center of the room.

To the southwest, a tunnel curves downward into the rock...
OUT OF CHARACTER
The last encounter of this section of the adventure lies at the end of the corridor to the southwest. The DM suggests you explore the two chambers to the northeast and southeast and then prepare yourselves (e.g., drink some potions) before you head down that corridor...

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Texudus TreeBender: battleaxe readied, longbow in off hand, 10 arrows left, 15 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: mind blade longsword readied, sunrod in off hand, 14 bolts left, 9 hp damage
Lola: wand of CLW readied, 19 charges left, 30 bolts left, 0 channel energy, 5 storm burst left, only domain spells left, 3 hp damage
Worrel: longbow readied, 85 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 10 hp damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff in one hand, sunrod in other hand, 18 regular bullets left, ZERO (0) bolts left, darkvision 158.0 min, uninjured
Marcus Tilsworth: loaded crossbow readied, 2 elemental rays left, 18 bolts left, 12 hp damage
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

[talk]I got this, I'll make sure its safe...[/talk]Moving into the cavern to the northeast Prost begins exploring, moving ten feet and stopping, searching and checking for traps or anything nasty that's been left behind
OUT OF CHARACTER
Ten checks, will roll more if need; Add +2 Trapfinding, if traps found will stop to attempt disarm.
10 Perception CheckShow
[dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] [dice]3[/dice] [dice]4[/dice] [dice]5[/dice] [dice]6[/dice] [dice]7[/dice] [dice]8[/dice] [dice]9[/dice]

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius moves to 1513 to keep an eye on the southeast chamber -- someone, or something, might be hiding under that pile of furs and blankets, or the skulls might animate -- as well as the passage running southwest. He solemnly promises to squeal like a little boy if anything attacks him, and suggests it might be a good idea for Texudus and Marcus to each quaff a cure light wounds potion, keeping two in reserve.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex does indeed down a curative potion, [talk]Thanks.[/talk]

[talk]Worrel? Mind splitting your arrows with me?[/talk]
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

[talk]Certainly, my friend. I can give you half, about 40 arrows, if you want,[/talk] replies Worrel. The paladin removes that amount of arrows from his quiver and passes them to Tex.

Worrel scans the two rooms for evil, telling his companions if he finds anything, before taking a position to watch the southwest corridor.

[ooc]Use paladin special ability to Detect Evil[/ooc]
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus chugs a potion.