The Second Face of Evil

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Re: [Active Thread] The Second Face of Evil

Post by kabkal »

Lola slips into the center of the pack and keeps up as best she can in the dim/dark.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Prost signals the others to come forward quietly, and to leave the light behind. He then moves quietly a little farther into the darkness and watches till the others arrive. From his new position, he can finally see the source of the light, along with several grimlocks in the cavern. As the rest of the party approaches, the grimlock nearest the entrance is alerted by the noise and calls out to his fellows in their grunting language.

Most of the party can see the large cavern ahead: the passage they are in ends the top of a short cliff that stands ten feet above the cave floor below. Down the cliff, on the cave floor, is a smoldering fire, along with three grimlocks (G1, G2, and G3). These grimlocks carry longspears and javelins. They also wear bronze masks emblazoned with the face of some demonic creature and their flesh is studded in dozens of places with small, sharp bone piercings. At the far end of the cavern a fourth grimlock (GK) perches atop a small stone ledge 10 feet above the fire. This fourth grimlock has sewn preserved eyes of a corpse into his empty eyesockets, giving him the strange, wide-eyed look of a madman. His hair is cut short and dyed red, while a demonic, doglike face is branded into his chest. His teeth are filed into fang-like points. Once alerted to the party's presence by the guards, he shouts in surprisingly eloquent common, Who dares disturb the holy meditations of the Gnawing Evil known as Grallak Kur!
ACTIVE EFFECTS
The purple dashed lines on the map represent sharp 10 foot cliffs. If you were to leap off the first cliff, you could make a DC15 Jump or Tumble check to land on your feet and take no damage. Ascending the second cliff, up to where Grallak Kur is ranting would require a DC15 Climb check.

Round 1 Begins
Texudus TreeBender: battleaxe readied, longbow in off hand, 50 arrows left, 9 hp damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff in one hand, sunrod in other hand, 18 regular bullets left, ZERO (0) bolts left, darkvision 156.5 min, uninjured
Grallak Kur
Grimlock 1
Grimlock 2
Grimlock 3
----> Quick Validation
Round 1 Continues
Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 45 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: mind blade longsword readied, sunrod tucked in boot, 14 bolts left, 9 hp damage
Lola: loaded crossbow readied, wand of CLW 17 charges left, 30 bolts left, 0 channel energy, 5 storm burst left, only domain spells left, 3 hp damage
Marcus Tilsworth: loaded crossbow readied, 2 elemental rays left, 18 bolts left, 4 hp damage
Round 2 Begins
Texudus TreeBender: battleaxe readied, longbow in off hand, 50 arrows left, 9 hp damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff in one hand, sunrod in other hand, 18 regular bullets left, ZERO (0) bolts left, darkvision 156.5 min, uninjured
Grallak Kur
Grimlock 1
Grimlock 2
Grimlock 3
----> Full Validation
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex slides his axe into his belt, and sets an arrow on the bowstring, getting ready for action.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius follows suit by dismissing his mind blade and readying his masterwork light crossbow.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel sheathes his sword and slings his shield before readying his longbow and nocking an arrow.
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Waiting on Prost[/ooc]
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost lets a bullet fly @ Grimlock 1
MW Sling staff atk: [dice]0[/dice]
MW Sling staff dmg: [dice]1[/dice]
[ooc]assuming Prost has line of sight to target...[/ooc]
then Prost reloads his sling staff.
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Tex slides his axe into his belt and readies his bow for action.

Prost lets a bullet fly and plunks Grimlock 1 [6 hp damage]. Then Prost reloads his slingstaff.

Up on his ledge, with a ranting chant, Grallak Kur casts a spell.
DC16 Spellcraft CheckShow
Grallak has prayed to Demogorgon and, in return, cast Entropic Shield
Grimlock 1 draws and flings a javelin at Prost, a near miss that clatters off the walls of the corridor.

Grimlocks 2 and 3 draw javelins and move forward into line with Grimlock 1. Grimlock 3's position is such that Tex can just barely see him.
ACTIVE EFFECTS
The purple dashed lines on the map represent sharp 10 foot cliffs. If you were to leap off the first cliff, you could make a DC15 Jump or Tumble check to land on your feet and take no damage. Ascending the second cliff, up to where Grallak Kur is ranting would require a DC15 Climb check.

Round 1 Continues
Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 45 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: mind blade longsword readied, sunrod tucked in boot, 14 bolts left, 9 hp damage
Lola: loaded crossbow readied, wand of CLW 17 charges left, 30 bolts left, 0 channel energy, 5 storm burst left, only domain spells left, 3 hp damage
Marcus Tilsworth: loaded crossbow readied, 2 elemental rays left, 18 bolts left, 4 hp damage
Round 2 Begins
Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 50 arrows left, 9 hp damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff in one hand, sunrod in other hand, 17 regular bullets left, ZERO (0) bolts left, darkvision 156.4 min, uninjured
Grallak Kur
Grimlock 1 - 6 hp damage
Grimlock 2
Grimlock 3
----> Validation
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[ooc]Question: if Grimlock #'s 1, 2 and 3 are at the bottom of the first cliff -- implied by the reference to jumping off them and the placement of the dashes indicating elevation (the ones at Grallak Kur presumably go from the lip down, so the ones between the party and the three grimlocks would go down to their level) -- shouldn't those three grimlocks be out of sight?[/ooc]
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel sheathes his sword and draws his bow, wither slinging or dropping his shield in order to be ready to fire next round.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:[ooc]Question: if Grimlock #'s 1, 2 and 3 are at the bottom of the first cliff -- implied by the reference to jumping off them and the placement of the dashes indicating elevation (the ones at Grallak Kur presumably go from the lip down, so the ones between the party and the three grimlocks would go down to their level) -- shouldn't those three grimlocks be out of sight?[/ooc]
[ooc]They are at the bottom of the first cliff. They are, however, not out of sight due to the upward (up from east to west) slope of the corridor you're in. Nor are you out of "sight" from them. Not that they "see," of course...

Let me draw a vertical map...[/ooc]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[ooc]In that case -- and if you check my entry for November 25th you'll see Cyrius dismissed his mind blade and readied his crossbow...[/ooc]

Cyrius shoots at Grimlock #1, then drops the crossbow and re-materializes his mind blade in its rapier form.

To Hit: 1d20+8
[dice]0[/dice]
Damage: 1d8
[dice]1[/dice]
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will fire at GK with her readied crossbow, she will then reload for next round.

[dice]0[/dice] to hit (no penalties applied if I needed due to shooting from where I am)
[dice]1[/dice]

[ooc]That is assuming I calculated my distance to him correctly, at about 95'. If the range is more than the 120' switch to G1.[/ooc]
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

kabkal wrote:Lola will fire at GK with her readied crossbow, she will then reload for next round.

[dice]92657:0[/dice] to hit (no penalties applied if I needed due to shooting from where I am)
[dice]92657:1[/dice]

[ooc]That is assuming I calculated my distance to him correctly, at about 95'. If the range is more than the 120' switch to G1.[/ooc]
Crit check
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex will target G1 if he can (G3 otherwise), sending an arrow down into the cavern

atk

dmg
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Waiting on Marcus and Prost[/ooc]
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost lets another bullet fly @ Grimlock 1

.....Prost reloads his sling staff.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 1 Continues

Worrel sheathes his sword and slings his shield, preparing to ready his bow.

Cyrius dismisses his mind blade, readies his crossbow, and shoots at Grimlock #1, missing.

Finding him within range, Lola fires at Grallak Kur with her readied crossbow. Although a well-aimed shot, the bolt just misses [due to cover]. Lola begins the laborious process of reloading.

Marcus does nothing.

Round 2 Begins

Tex targets Grimlock 1, sending an arrow down into the cavern that pierces the creature's shoulder [6 hp damage].

Prost lets another bullet fly at Grimlock 1. As the missile hits and kills the creature [7 hp damage], Prost reloads his slingstaff.

Everyone now notices that Grallak Kur is surrounded by a chaotic field of multicolored hues, probably the result of the spell he cast last round. With an evil-sounding chant, he casts again. This time, a glowing whip made of force appears behind Marcus and lashes him [7 hp damage].

Grimlock 3 steps into the space where Grimlock 1 fell. Both he and Grimlock 2 fling javelins at Prost. The Grimlocks miss, but immediately draw replacement javelins.
ACTIVE EFFECTS

Round 2 Continues
Worrel: empty handed, 45 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: mind blade longsword readied, sunrod tucked in boot, 13 bolts left, 9 hp damage
Lola: half-loaded crossbow readied, wand of CLW 17 charges left, 29 bolts left, 0 channel energy, 5 storm burst left, only domain spells left, 3 hp damage
Marcus Tilsworth: loaded crossbow readied, 2 elemental rays left, 18 bolts left, 11 hp damage, under attack by a spiritual weapon
Round 3 Begins
Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 49 arrows left, 9 hp damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff in one hand, sunrod in other hand, 16 regular bullets left, ZERO (0) bolts left, darkvision 156.3 min, uninjured
Grallak Kur - at least one spell in effect
Grimlock 1 - DEAD
Grimlock 2
Grimlock 3
----> Validation
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel draws his bow as he advances downslope, hoping to reach a position where he can fire upon Grallak Kur. Once he has moved, the paladin pulls nocks an arrow then pulls the bow before releasing the missile at one of the grimlocks.

[ooc]Move - advance 20 ft downslope to 1130
Free - draw bow
Attack - fire bow (first choice is Grallak Kur, if visible. Otherwise, one of the other grimlocks

Attack - [dice]0[/dice]

Damage (if hits) - [dice]1[/dice][/ooc]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius advances with Worrel, taking up station beside him in case the grimlocks decide to get personal.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex targets G3, letting loose an arrow.

atk 0

dmg 1
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost lets another bullet fly @ Grimlock 3

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will finish reloading her crossbow and ready if for her next attack next round.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

kabkal wrote:Lola will finish reloading her crossbow and ready if for her next attack next round.
[ooc]She can finish reloading and attack this round if you want to roll...[/ooc]
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola finishes loading her crossbow and lets an arrow fly at the same one she hit last time.

[dice]0[/dice] to hit
[dice]1[/dice]if hits
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 2 Continues

Worrel draws his bow as he advances downslope. Once he has moved, the paladin pulls nocks an arrow then pulls the bow before releasing the missile at Grallak Kur. He misses.

Cyrius drops his crossbow, materializes his mindblade, and advances with Worrel, taking up station beside him in case the grimlocks decide to get personal.

Lola finishes loading her crossbow and lets an bolt fly. She also misses Grallak Kur.

Marcus continues to do nothing.

Round 3 Begins

Tex targets Grimlock 3, letting loose an arrow that misses because of the need to shoot from behind Worrel.

Prost lets another bullet fly at Grimlock 3. He hits [3 hp damage] and reloads.

Grallak Kur casts another spell, glaring at Worrel, who feels an assault on his mind [The spell is hold person: Worrel needs a DC 16 Will save or he will be paralyzed].

Grallak Kur's spiritual whip lashes at Marcus again, but misses.

Grimlocks 2 and 3 fling javelins at Worrel. One of them actually manages to penetrate Worrel's armor [7 hp damage]. Both Grimlocks draw new javelins.
ACTIVE EFFECTS

Round 3 Continues
Worrel: longbow readied, 44 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 8 hp damage, Needs a DC16 Will save to avoid being held
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: mindblade readied, crossbow dropped at 0829, sunrod tucked in boot, 13 bolts left, 9 hp damage
Lola: unloaded heavy crossbow readied, wand of CLW 17 charges left, 28 bolts left, 0 channel energy, 5 storm burst left, only domain spells left, 3 hp damage
Marcus Tilsworth: loaded crossbow readied, 2 elemental rays left, 18 bolts left, 11 hp damage, under attack by a spiritual weapon
Round 4 Begins
Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 48 arrows left, 9 hp damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 15 regular bullets left, ZERO (0) bolts left, darkvision 156.2 min, uninjured
Grallak Kur - at least one spell in effect
Grimlock 1 - DEAD
Grimlock 2
Grimlock 3 - 3 hp damage
----> Validation
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

patransom wrote:Cyrius advances with Worrel, taking up station beside him in case the grimlocks decide to get personal [I forgot to update the status list that he had readied his crossbow last turn; I'm assuming he wants to load it with the rest of this action, let me know if you want to do something different].
As per my 7 December posting, Cyrius had dropped his crossbow and materialized his mind blade, in case the grimlocks decided to rush the party's missile users.
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will reload her crossbow and fire at the grim on the ground who is injured (I believe 3) if she has a sight on him.

[dice]0[/dice] to hit
[dice]1[/dice] if hits
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel easily shakes off the grimlock's spell, then advances downslope to get into the blindspot of the closer two grimlocks (1530).

Once in position, Worrel fires another arrow at Grallak Kur but this also goes wide.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Will save (+10 base +2 elven resistance vs enchantment) - [dice]0[/dice]

Attack - [dice]1[/dice]

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost keeps firing at Grimlock 3 and lets another bullet loose...

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”