The Third Face of Evil

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Re: [Active Thread] The Third Face of Evil

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel also returns to his companions, closer to the new barricade. [talk]I have drawn heavily upon my connection to Mitra. I can now only heal a single person.[/talk]

Once healed, Warrel will look around at his companions. [talk]Is there another way for them to get to us, besides this door? Should we rest here to guard this barricade, or return to the surface until we have recovered?[/talk]
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[talk]Some of us should scout this hall, see what other exits there are, maybe a room we can hole up in,[/talk] Cyrius suggests. [talk]I'm not sure we could make it out of here right now. And let's not go blundering about separately again, I think we've all learned that we're got a better chance together,[/talk] he adds wryly.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus will gather with the group for healing.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Lola gathers everyone together for some healing [11 hp each]. She thinks about how much healing she has left...
OUT OF CHARACTER
See below: Lola now has 2 channel energy left and 6 charges on the wand of CLW. However, according to my records, she's only used one spell (sun metal) since last rest, which really wasn't very long ago...

Prost retrieves his sword and the rest of the party discusses what to do next. Looking around the hall, they recall the following (sorry, the map's upside down again):
  • A leads to the mines; it's the route through which you first entered. You also took the captured Grallak Kur out through there and handed him over to the mine guards.
  • B leads to the area with the arena where you defeated the followers of Inanna; there's a trapdoor in there through which the surviving priestess (Kendra) escaped, but you blocked it off. There didn't seem to be any other exits that way (see this thread for complete details of that area).
  • C is the trapdoor into the caves in which you battled the grimlocks and captured Grallak Kur. There didn't seem to be any exits that way.
  • D is the entrance to the labyrinth of goblins, which you just barricaded with empty carts.
The dark cathedral itself is described in this thread way back here.

I'll also refer you to your previous discussion of Theldrick's Journal for hints about what you might be facing down here (make sure you scroll down through the discussion to get everyone's comments).
ACTIVE EFFECTS
Lola: wand of CLW w/ 6 charges left readied, unloaded crossbow dropped at 1014, 2 channel energy left, 21 bolts left, 9 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: charged mind blade longsword readied, torch in off-hand, 13 bolts left, 20 hp damage
Worrel: sword and shield readied, sunrod dropped at 1621, 42 arrows left, 26 hp damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 8 regular bullets left, ZERO (0) left of bolts, CLW potions, and darkvision potions, Light (from Marcus on a sling bullet) 39.4 min left, darkvision 175.8 minutes, 14 hp damage
Texudus TreeBender: Nadroc's Tribute readied, batteaxe and bow dropped at 1508, 36 arrows left, 21 hp damage, 7 points CON damage
Marcus Tilsworth: heavy mace readied, 14 bolts left, Mage Armor 237.5 min left, 0 hp damage, 4 points CON damage

Secret DM Countdown Timer: 71.8 minutes
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will again heal with channel energy for everyone, leaving 1 channel energy

[dice]0[/dice]

She offers more healing after finding out what we are going to do with the goblins just outside the door.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost will take his time and explore/examine the area south of the pool....along the stairs and platforms looking for secret entrances to the south.
[ooc]take 20?...I don't have my sheet...so please roll necessary rolls.[/ooc]
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

[talk]The immediate threat is the goblins. I will stay here, at the barricade, in case they wish to try to attack us,[/talk] says Worrell. [talk]Do we rest and recover here, or return to the town?[/talk]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[talk]I think we should withdraw to town, re-arm and re-supply, and come back when we're back to full strength,[/talk] Cyrius opines, taking station with Worrel in case the goblins get frisky.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola agrees about re-arming since she has lost her crossbow somewhere in the tunnels. She also cannot heal everyone completely down here without going through every spell, special ability and possible want she has.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Tex chimes in, [talk]I wouldn't mind going back to town for a new bow, since mine's lost in that accursed maze, like Lola's. But one problem: if we leave, are we sure the guards will let us back on the mine property? Will we have to arrange another delivery from Mr. Smenk? Maybe it would be safer to hole up somewhere down here to rest, like we just did not so long ago?[/talk]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[talk]Staying here doesn't help us re-arm, unless you want to venture back into the goblin tunnels to retrieve those lost weapons,[/talk] Cyrius opines. [talk]As for getting back into the mine, we can point out we're cleaning out some of the vermin that potentially threaten operations.[/talk]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

As the others discuss going back to town, Prost thoroughly searches the area around the pool, stairs, and platforms. He finds nothing of interest, other than more graffiti similar to what the party saw before. The pool of dark liquid bubbles ominously while he searches.

[ooc]Sounds like everyone's set on going back to town. If everyone can please confirm, I'll start a new thread about what happens next...[/ooc]

[ae]Lola: wand of CLW w/ 6 charges left readied, unloaded crossbow dropped at 1014, 2 channel energy left, 21 bolts left, 9 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: charged mind blade longsword readied, torch in off-hand, 13 bolts left, 20 hp damage
Worrel: sword and shield readied, sunrod dropped at 1621, 42 arrows left, 26 hp damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 8 regular bullets left, ZERO (0) left of bolts, CLW potions, and darkvision potions, Light (from Marcus on a sling bullet) 36.6 min left, darkvision 173.0 minutes, 14 hp damage
Texudus TreeBender: Nadroc's Tribute readied, batteaxe and bow dropped at 1508, 36 arrows left, 21 hp damage, 7 points CON damage
Marcus Tilsworth: heavy mace readied, 14 bolts left, Mage Armor 234.7 min left, 0 hp damage, 4 points CON damage

Secret DM Countdown Timer: 69.0 minutes[/ae]
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost returns to the group after his inspection revealed no additional access to the north, and advises them of what he saw... [talk]That pool of dark liquid, it is has been bubbling ominously while I was searching that area...I don't remember it doing that before.[/talk] We should do something and soon I think. Prost will do what the rest will. [talk]Whatever we do, lets stay togeather...[/talk]

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola is ready to head back to town.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

[talk]Let us head to town. We can better heal and prepare there,[/talk] states Worrel. [talk]And I agree, we stay together.[/talk]
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Though it might be nice to restock, Marcus considers to himself the likelihood of occupants from here coming out and attacking.
He addresses the group.
"Spells low, supplies low, survival chance not that great. Maybe there's a way to seal the entrance and return to town. I hate the thought of leaving here, but we don't have many options.

Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Having agreed that retreating to town is the best course of action, the party makes its way back through the Dourstone mine. The trip out of the depths and through the upper works of the mine takes a little more than a half hour. Curiously, though the work day should long since have started, the party encounters no miners, nor do they hear the sounds of men or dwarves working in the side shafts and tunnels like they did on their previous trips.

Undeterred by this oddity, the party approaches the entrance to the mine. As they enter the final chamber and blink at the sunlight from the arched mine entrance, they see a group of figures passing underneath that arch, on their way into the tunnels, heading straight for them. The first four figures are dwarves dressed in the familiar garb of mine guards. This, of course, is not surprising, since the party has conversed with the mine guards before.

What is surprising is the monstrous figure that follows the guards: an eyeless beast with preserved eyes of a corpse into his empty eyesockets, giving him the strange, wide-eyed look of a madman. His hair is cut short and dyed red, while a demonic, doglike face is branded into his chest. His teeth are filed into fang-like points. It is none other than Grallak Kur, who the party previously turned over to the mine guards for punishment!
grallakkur.jpg
The grimlock is clearly no longer a prisoner, as he shouts at the mine guards: There they are! The interlopers who slew your priests! Kill them! Obviously, the cult known as the Triad of Sixes must have followers on the surface, not just hidden in the depths! The mine guards point their crossbows at the party...
OUT OF CHARACTER
Unfortunately, the trip through the mine caused the Secret DM Countdown Timer to tick away at double time, since it accounted for Grallak's return trip through the tunnels with his reinforcements. You have saved him the trouble!

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Round 1 Begins:
Worrel: sword and shield readied, sunrod lost in the labrynth, 42 arrows left, 26 hp damage
Texudus TreeBender: Nadroc's Tribute readied, batteaxe and bow lost in the labrynth, 36 arrows left, 21 hp damage, 7 points CON damage
Marcus Tilsworth: heavy mace readied, 14 bolts left, Mage Armor 199.7 min left, 0 hp damage, 4 points CON damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 8 regular bullets left, ZERO (0) left of bolts, CLW potions, and darkvision potions, Light (from Marcus on a sling bullet) 1.6 min left, darkvision 138.0 minutes, 14 hp damage
Lola: wand of CLW w/ 6 charges left readied, crossbow lost in the labrynth, 2 channel energy left, 21 bolts left, 9 hp damage
Grallak Kur (GK)
Dwarven Mine Guards (D1-4)

Secret DM Countdown Timer: 0.0 minutes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost comments to Tex...[talk]He hasn't gotten any better looking...[/talk]...[talk]We should of killed him![/talk]

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Seeking to prevent the guards from firing on his companions, Worrel charges towards them. [yell]Mitra grant me strength![/yell]

He readies himself as he charges. He swings at the guard in front of him, trying to take him quickly from the fight.

[ooc]Full - charge to 1020 and attack D1

Attack - [dice]0[/dice][/ooc]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]In case it wasn't clear, your efforts to exit the mine have met with an encounter and combat has begun. I still need actions from everyone but Worrel. Unless you'd prefer to delay and let the guards and Grallak Kur go first?[/ooc]
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

[ooc]Since Lola was last on the list I was waiting to see others actions first. So Lola will be going into battle, but on her turn.[/ooc]
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

[ooc]Will post this evening...[/ooc]
As Worrel charges towards them, Prost lets a bullet fly at Dwarven Mine Guard D1
MW Sling staff atk:[dice]0[/dice]
MW Sling staff dmg:[dice]1[/dice]
Prost then re-loads his sling staff.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[talk]Athena take you wretches for being weak-willed,[/talk] Cyrius growls as he follows Worrell's lead, charging to 1120 and swinging at D2.

Mind Blade Attack: 1d20+10
[dice]0[/dice]
Mind Blade Damage: 1d8+3+1d8
[dice]1[/dice]

To confirm the critical: 1d20+1
[dice]2[/dice]
Critical Extra Damage: 1d8+3
[dice]3[/dice]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Waiting on Marcus and Lola[/ooc]
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will move up to 1019 with a double move while she draws her sword
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus will cast pit spell at the grimlock

Image Image
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Correction, Marcus will cast pit spell at 1021 to 1122

Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 1 Begins:

Seeking to prevent the guards from firing on his companions, Worrel charges towards them, yelling Mitra grant me strength! He swings at the guard in front of him, but the dwarf's chainmail deflects the blow.

Tex tries to duplicate Worrel's charge, but with his shorter legs cannot get close enough to attack just yet.

Athena take you wretches for being weak-willed, Cyrius growls as he follows Worrell's lead, charging forward and swinging at D2. The blade of mental energy viciously hacks through the dwarf without much resistance, leaving him collapsed on the floor [critical confirmed, 14 hp damage, dwarf dead].

Marcus casts create pit in the mine entrance. One of the mine guards (D3) manages to leap back in time, but the other two fall to the bottom of the 30 foot shaft [8 hp damage, including 1 nonlethal].

Prost comments He hasn't gotten any better looking...We should have killed him! As Worrel charges forward, Prost lets a bullet fly at the only mine guard still on the surface. The missile produces a solid but dull thud as it rams into the dwarf [4 hp damage]. Prost re-loads.

Lola will move up behind Worrel while she draws her sword.

Grallak Kur growls to the remaining mine guard, Grrr, stupid pit spell again. They rely on it too much. Go around to the other entrance! Then he casts a spell (cause fear) at Worrel and moves away from the pit and out of sight to the west [Worrel needs a DC15 will save; if he fails he will be frightened for 1d4 rounds; if he succeeds, he will be shaken for 1 round].

The mine guards at the bottom of the pit (D1 and D4) get to their feet and pick up their dropped crossbows.

The other mine guard (D3) shoots his crossbow at Cyrius, whose armor protects him from harm. The guard then follows Grallak Kur out of sight to the west.
ACTIVE EFFECTS
Create Pit: 4 rounds left (ends round 5 on Marcus' initiative), persons in red striped area at the end of their turn must make a DC16 reflex save at +2 or fall in.

Round 2 Begins:
Worrel: sword and shield readied, sunrod lost in the labrynth, 42 arrows left, 26 hp damage, needs a DC15 will save
Texudus TreeBender: Nadroc's Tribute readied, batteaxe and bow lost in the labrynth, 36 arrows left, 21 hp damage, 7 points CON damage
Marcus Tilsworth: heavy mace readied, 14 bolts left, Mage Armor 199.7 min left, 0 hp damage, 4 points CON damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 8 regular bullets left, ZERO (0) left of bolts, CLW potions, and darkvision potions, Light (from Marcus on a sling bullet) 1.6 min left, darkvision 138.0 minutes, 14 hp damage
Lola: short sword +1 and wand of CLW w/ 6 charges left readied, crossbow lost in the labrynth, 2 channel energy left, 21 bolts left, 9 hp damage
Grallak Kur (GK)
Dwarven Mine Guard (D1): 8 hp damage, including 1 nonlethal, at the bottom of a pit
Dwarven Mine Guard (D2): DEAD
Dwarven Mine Guard (D3): 4 hp damage
Dwarven Mine Guard (D4): 8 hp damage, including 1 nonlethal, at the bottom of a pit

Secret DM Countdown Timer: 0.0 minutes
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will move to 814 and let Marcus and Prost know what the bad guys plan is going to a different entrance.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

[yell]Mitra grants me strength, you foul thing!,[/yell] yells Worrel at Grallak Kur's fleeing back. [yell]Run like a yellow dog![/yell]

Worrel backs away from the pit and moves towards the western tunnel entrance to intercept Grallak Kur.

[ooc]No save required - Worrel has the Aura of Courage class feature, making him immune to fear

Full Move - 40 ft to 0813[/ooc]

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”