The Third Face of Evil

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Active Thread] The Third Face of Evil

Post by patransom »

Duniagdra wrote:Marcus will take a 5' step back and move to 0714

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
[ooc]Minor clarification: Marcus can't use this exact combination of actions because "...you can't take a 5-foot step in the same round that you move any distance" (see here). However, Marcus can withdraw and achieve the same result (move to 0714 without being attacked), so... validation will follow tomorrow.[/ooc]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 1 Continues

Worrel moves to the side of the secret door to allow Marcus to enter the room. Although he tries to identify the creature, he realizes he has no idea what it might be. He prepares to attack it when it enters the room [readied action].

Seeing that Worrel has anticipated his instructions, Cyrius moves as close as he can and prepares to attack if the creature comes within reach [readied action].

Lola remains fascinated by the creature's babble and softly hums a haunting tune.

Marcus withdraws into the room.

Round 2 Begins

Prost remains comatose.

Tex fires off another arrow that arrives on target, but does no harm. Arrows seem to go right through it, Tex grumbles, Anyone know how to hurt this thing?

The creature floats into the room in pursuit of Marcus, which triggers Worrel's and Cyrius' attacks...

Worrel connects with a mighty swing that appears poised to take the apparition's head off, but instead passes harmlessly through its neck [a critical hit that has no effect!].

A quick twist sends Cyrius' mind blade flitting past the creature's guard and actually does some damage, albeit less than Cyrius would have expected against a corporeal enemy [5 hp damage].

Since the mind blade seems to have hurt it, the spectral figure turns away from Marcus and toward Cyrius. Cyrius, however, is agile enough to avoid its touch.
ACTIVE EFFECTS
Round 2 Continues
Lola: loaded heavy crossbow readied, wand of CLW 5 charges left, 4 channel energy left, light on readied crossbow bolt 44.0 min left, 80 bolts left, fascinated, cannot act
Marcus Tilsworth: loaded crossbow readied, 5 elemental rays left, 84 bolts left, 7 hp, 3 Wisdom damage
Round 3 Begins
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 3 regular bullets left, 40 crossbow bolts left, sunrod in boot, Elixir of Vision 59.5 min left, comatose, cannot act
Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 26 arrows left
Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 42 arrows left, light (from Marcus) on longsword 49.1 min left, 4 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: uncharged mind blade longsword readied, 23 bolts left, 3 hp damage
Spectral Figure (A) - 5 hp damage (but also gained some temporary hp)
---> Validation
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[talk]Oh, Athena help us, this thing needs magic to hurt it,[/talk] Cyrius blurts as her re-charges his mind blade with psychic energy and swings again. [talk]Snap out of it, Lola, we could use your mojo right now![/talk]

Mind Blade Attack: 1d20+9
[dice]0[/dice]

Mind Blade Damage: 1d8+3+1d8 psychic
[dice]1[/dice]
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus will attack with his elemental rays. I'm assuming that Marcus would see that the mind blade had an effect on the apparition and thus would think magic is key.

Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Waiting on Worrel[/ooc]
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel holds his sword up while invoking a prayer to Mitra. [yell]Holy Mitra! Burn this foul thing![/yell]

Once his sword glows with the holy energy of Mitra, Worrel stands ready to destroy it's foul essence.

[ooc]Swift - invoke Smite Evil (+2 deflection bonus to AC, +2 attack bonus, +10 damage) ... now AC 25, Touch 13
Standard - invoke Divine Bond (+1 bonus to sword)[/ooc]
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 2 Continues

Lola continues to hum a haunting tune.

Being sure to maintain a defensive stance [I assumed he would cast defensively; he made the check], Marcus shoots a ray of lightning at the creature. Unfortunately, he misses.

Round 3 Begins

Prost remains comatose.

Taking Cyrius' advice and applying it more directly, Tex grabs Lola from behind and gives her a good shaking. Yeah, snap out of it, lass! We need some divine intervention! Tex's accosting causes Lola to come out of her reverie.

Worrel holds his sword up while invoking a prayer to Mitra. Holy Mitra! Burn this foul thing! His sword begins to glow with holy energy.

Oh, Athena help us, this thing needs magic to hurt it, Cyrius blurts as her re-charges his mind blade with psychic energy and swings again. Snap out of it, Lola, we could use your mojo right now! Confident he's found the solution, Cyrius swings his weapon with a graceful arc of absolute surety and terrifying beauty and then plunges it into the foe [5 hp damage].

The creature continues to focus on Cyrius, but is unable to make any contact.
ACTIVE EFFECTS
Round 3 Continues
Lola: loaded heavy crossbow readied, wand of CLW 5 charges left, 4 channel energy left, light on readied crossbow bolt 44.0 min left, 80 bolts left
Marcus Tilsworth: loaded crossbow readied, 4 elemental rays left, 84 bolts left, 7 hp, 3 Wisdom damage
Round 4 Begins
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 3 regular bullets left, 40 crossbow bolts left, sunrod in boot, Elixir of Vision 59.5 min left, comatose, cannot act
Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 42 arrows left, Smite Evil 1 left, light (from Marcus) on longsword 49.0 min left, Divine Bond 5.0 min left, 4 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: uncharged mind blade longsword readied, 23 bolts left, 3 hp damage
Spectral Figure (A) - 10 hp damage (but also gained some temporary hp)
---> Validation
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel swings his sword, burning with holy energy, at the undead creature. Even if he cannot fully damage the creature, this should seriously injure it.

Or, not.

[ooc]Standard - longsword with power attack (BAB +5, Str +4, Divine Bond +1, PA -2, Smite Evil +2) - [dice]0[/dice]
Damage - 1d8+19 (+4 Str, +1 Divine Bond, +4 PA, +10 Smite) - [dice]1[/dice][/ooc]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Once again re-charging his mind blade with psychic energy, Cyrius breathes a prayer to Athena and strikes again at the apparition.

Mind Blade Attack: 1d20+9
[dice]0[/dice]

Mind Blade Damage: 1d8+3+1d8 psychic
[dice]1[/dice]
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Waiting on Lola and Marcus[/ooc]
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

[ooc]Sorry for the delay, did not expect to be without internet for 4 days.[/ooc]

Lola sends a blast of positive energy towards the things with Sun's Blessing.

[dice]0[/dice] will dc 14 for 1/2 damage (no channel resistance added to save)
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus will cast defensively using another ray attack.

Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 3 Continues

Shaken out of her fascination, Lola sends a blast of positive energy towards the thing with Sun's Blessing [failed save: 15 hp damage].

Marcus casts defensively using another ray attack, but misses again.

Round 4 Begins

Prost remains comatose.

Don't bother to thank the dwarf for helping, grumbles Tex. He moves around the melee and drags the comatose Prost out of the way.

Worrel swings his sword, burning with holy energy, at the undead creature. He thinks that, even if he cannot fully damage the creature, this should seriously injure it. He doesn't find out whether his assumption is correct, as the apparition easily avoids his clumsy swing.

Once again re-charging his mind blade with psychic energy, Cyrius breathes a prayer to Athena and strikes again at the apparition. He whirls his weapon high in the air and brings it down in time to catch the specter's midsection [7 hp damage].

Perhaps overwhelmed now by the magical forces arrayed against it, the creature withdraws into the wall [at what would be 0712], disappearing from view.
ACTIVE EFFECTS
Out of combat order for the time being, but I'll still be tracking the passage of time >:). Rounds since the allip disappeared: 0

Lola: loaded heavy crossbow readied, wand of CLW 5 charges left, 3 channel energy left, light on readied crossbow bolt 43.9 min left, 80 bolts left
Marcus Tilsworth: loaded crossbow readied, 3 elemental rays left, 84 bolts left, 7 hp, 3 Wisdom damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 3 regular bullets left, 40 crossbow bolts left, sunrod in boot, Elixir of Vision 59.4 min left, comatose, cannot act
Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 42 arrows left, Smite Evil 1 left, light (from Marcus) on longsword 48.9 min left, Divine Bond 4.9 min left, 4 hp damage
Spectral Figure (A) - no longer anywhere to be seen; 32 hp damage (but also gained some temporary hp)
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

patransom wrote:Round 3 Continues

Shaken out of her fascination, Lola sends a blast of positive energy towards the thing with Sun's Blessing [7 hp damage; failed save, but still takes 1/2 damage due to being incorporeal].
[ooc]Not one to argue rules, but I do have a question about the 1/2 damage ruling. Looking at the pfsrd20 website http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules- ... poreal-Ex- it states:
An incorporeal creature has no physical body. It can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons or creatures that strike as magic weapons, and spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities. It is immune to all nonmagical attack forms. Even when hit by spells or magic weapons, it takes only half damage from a corporeal source (except for channel energy). Although it is not a magical attack, holy water can affect incorporeal undead. Corporeal spells and effects that do not cause damage only have a 50% chance of affecting an incorporeal creature. Force spells and effects, such as from a magic missile, affect an incorporeal creature normally.

it appears this may be a rule change, so just wanted to see if we are playing this rule, resulting in 15 points of damage, or the old rule, resulting in 7 points of damage.[/ooc]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]d20psfrd is not an official source. Both my copy of the core rulebook and Paizo's version of the PFSRD, which is (allegedly) updated with errata as of September 2015, does not contain the "except for channel energy" language (see here).

EDIT: I found an official rule here buried in the Bestiary. Yet another reason for me to be annoyed about Pathfinder and its ever-expanding and ever-changing rules...

I've added the additional damage to the allip. It still had enough hp left to run away, though.[/ooc]
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

patransom wrote:[ooc]d20psfrd is not an official source. Both my copy of the core rulebook and Paizo's version of the PFSRD, which is (allegedly) updated with errata as of September 2015, does not contain the "except for channel energy" language (see here).

EDIT: I found an official rule here buried in the Bestiary. Yet another reason for me to be annoyed about Pathfinder and its ever-expanding and ever-changing rules...

I've added the additional damage to the allip. It still had enough hp left to run away, though.[/ooc]
[ooc]Thanks for looking into this. To bad it didn't kill it.[/ooc]
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

[ooc]
patransom wrote:d20psfrd is not an official source. Both my copy of the core rulebook and Paizo's version of the PFSRD, which is (allegedly) updated with errata as of September 2015, does not contain the "except for channel energy" language (see here).

I've added the additional damage to the allip. It still had enough hp left to run away, though.
Important info you found!! I took a few minutes to post it on PAIZO's CRB section... hopefully they will update it!

admin[/ooc]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]We've settled the rules question, so now we're waiting on... everyone. I am still tracking rounds, since things are happening behind the scenes.[/ooc]
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

[talk]We could wait for this thing to come for us. I prefer to hunt it, however[/talk] says the undead slayer as he invokes the ability to sense evil. Worrel then advances into the next room, concentrating on the wall to determine if the creature is lurking within.

[ooc]Standard - invoke Detect Evil to scan walls, detecting evil if it is within 1 foot of surface. He will scan 0712 and 0711 from where he stands. If nothing detected, he will move into the room to scan the other walls within

Conditional 1 - if creature is within 0712 or 0711, remain in place and warn companions
Conditional 2 - if not in either of the above, move to 0809 and keep scanning[/ooc]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[talk]Or we can move on before it comes back, and perhaps get past its territory without another encounter,[/talk] Cyrius suggests as he charges his mind blade with psychic energy. [talk]But somebody will have to carry the Halfling.[/talk]
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola says [talk]I would prefer not to sit and wait. We either hunt this thing down, or we move on.[/talk] She will then try to shake Evan awake.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost...a strange smile appears on his face...
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[talk]We could wait for this thing to come for us. I prefer to hunt it, however[/talk] says Worrel as he invokes the ability to sense evil. He then advances into the next room, concentrating on the wall to determine if the creature is lurking within. He does not immediately detect evil, but once he enters the room he picks up an emanation from beyond the door to the north.

[talk]Or we can move on before it comes back, and perhaps get past its territory without another encounter,[/talk] Cyrius suggests as he charges his mind blade with psychic energy. [talk]But somebody will have to carry the Halfling.[/talk]

Lola says [talk]I would prefer not to sit and wait. We either hunt this thing down, or we move on.[/talk] She tries to shake Evan awake. He does not regain consciousness, but a strange smile does appear on his face.

[talk]I'll carry him, since my arrows don't hurt that thing anyway[/talk] volunteers Tex. He slings the halfling over his shoulder and starts to follow Worrel into the other room.

[ae]Out of combat order for the time being, but I'll still be tracking the passage of time >:). Rounds since the allip disappeared: 1

Lola: loaded heavy crossbow readied, wand of CLW 5 charges left, 3 channel energy left, light on readied crossbow bolt 43.8 min left, 80 bolts left
Marcus Tilsworth: loaded crossbow readied, 3 elemental rays left, 84 bolts left, 7 hp, 3 Wisdom damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 3 regular bullets left, 40 crossbow bolts left, sunrod in boot, Elixir of Vision 59.3 min left, comatose, cannot act
Texudus TreeBender: carrying Prost, 26 arrows left
Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 42 arrows left, Smite Evil 1 left, light (from Marcus) on longsword 48.8 min left, Divine Bond 4.8 min left, 4 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: charged mind blade longsword readied, 23 bolts left, 3 hp damage
Spectral Figure (A) - no longer anywhere to be seen; 32 hp damage (but also gained some temporary hp)[/ae]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius advances to 0809, warily watching his surroundings.
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola falls into line with crossbow ready, as well as being ready to call upon energy if needed.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Waiting on Worrel and Marcus[/ooc]
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

[whisper]"I have sensed evil beyond the door,[/whisper] whispers Worrel to his companions. [whisper]That may be the undead or some other opponent.[/whisper]

Worrel moves to the door, continuing to scan for any sign of evil. Rather than open the door now, he waits until his companions are in place. Still, he is ready to attack if something comes through the door.

[ooc]Move - 15 ft to 0708
Readied Action - Attack - longsword +8 (+10 if the undead that is target of smite), 1d8+8 damage (1d8+13 vs target of smite)[/ooc]

[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

I have sensed evil beyond the door, whispers Worrel to his companions. That may be the undead or some other opponent. He moves to the door, continuing to scan for any sign of evil. Rather than open the door now, he waits until his companions are in place. Still, he is ready to attack if something comes through the door.

Cyrius advances into the odd hallway, warily watching his surroundings.

Lola falls into line with crossbow ready, as well as being ready to call upon energy if needed.

Tex carries Prost back into the chamber where the halfling fell into his coma, moving to cover the east end.

Marcus remains quiet back in the goblin room (although I moved him so he could at least see the rest of the party).

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Out of combat order for the time being, but I'll still be tracking the passage of time >:). Rounds since the allip disappeared: 2

Lola: loaded heavy crossbow readied, wand of CLW 5 charges left, 3 channel energy left, light on readied crossbow bolt 43.7 min left, 80 bolts left
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 3 regular bullets left, 40 crossbow bolts left, sunrod in boot, Elixir of Vision 59.2 min left, comatose, cannot act
Texudus TreeBender: carrying Prost, 26 arrows left
Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 42 arrows left, Smite Evil 1 active & 1 left, light (from Marcus) on longsword 48.7 min left, Divine Bond 4.7 min left, 4 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: charged mind blade longsword readied, 23 bolts left, 3 hp damage
Spectral Figure (A) - no longer anywhere to be seen; 32 hp damage (but also gained some temporary hp)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel opens the door, looking through for obvious threats like undead or the goblin. If one is present, he will alert his companions and move to engage.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus enters the hall stepping into the corner next to Lola in sight of Worrel who is about to open the door he's in front of.
Image Image

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”