PLOT!

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

PLOT!

Post by patransom »

This thread collects plot-related clues found by the party, all in one place for quick reference.

First, the Chronicle of Chan, which Master Penkawr obtained from the Great Library in Tula and allowed interested party members to read. It is purported to be a first-hand account of the Wind War of Night’s Dawning, which took place more than 6,500 years ago. In context
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: PLOT!

Post by patransom »

Etchings found on the walls of the Dark Cathedral beneath Rastingdrung. The symbol at the bottom was identified as belonging to "the Triad of Sixes." In context
etchings3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Theldrick’s Journal, which reveals details about how the Triad of Sixes came to Rastingdrung and gives some hints about their plans. In context
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

A scroll found on Grallak Kur. It's written in Ghinoran. In blood, possibly Elf blood. In context
scrollofgrallakkur.jpg
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

A scroll found in the possession of Theldrick, deciphered using a code book from the Faceless One's lab. In context
125-FacelessOneScroll.jpg
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Among the items recovered from the Faceless One's lab was The Nethertome of Trask. Here's what the party, with the help of the wizard Allustan Penkawr, had been able to determine about this unique item.

Auras: strong divination, abjuration, and conjuration: calling

Description: This ancient book consists of more than 500 pages, bound in reddish and greenish leather made from the skin of some unknown aberration. The metal figure of an otherworldly, hideous six-armed creature adorns the cover. The pages are filled with text and diagrams in a language that would be recognizable only to an elite few: Ancient Kelnoran. By perusing the correct pages, a reader (whether they read Ancient Kelnoran or not) can hear eerie disembodied voices that are audible only to them. These voices grant a +2 circumstance bonus on Knowledge: Religion checks relating to evil deities. The reader can stop the voices by closing the book.

Background: Master Penkawr tells the party that Trask was a wizard-priest who lived around the time of the fall of the ancient empire of Kelnore a few thousand years ago. His studies focused on the forbidden lore of the Elder Gods that dwell in the darkness beyond the Void. Penkawr doesn't read Ancient Kelnoran nor does he specialize in the history of that era. Someone who reads that language and/or specializes in Kelnoran history (and, in particular, gets a better K: History roll than Penkawr did) could likely tell you more. In particular, the book definitely hides other magical secrets, but unlocking them would require a better understanding of its history.

OUT OF CHARACTER
This is an Item of Legacy. Knowlege: History checks, followed by some additional efforts, will be required to unlock its powers.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

From this thread, here's what the party learned from the witch Marzena about worm-ridden undead:

Regarding Theldrick's scroll:
Marzena reads the scroll and comments, Whoever wrote this seems kind of crazy, or at least obsessed. I don't know what canyon they're talking about. Or what they mean by an Overgod. Or who this Yog-Sothoth character is supposed to be.

But the part about undead, bearing worms, among the lizardfolk, that part is true. My sisters and I have observed this problem. And it's potentially very bad. Makes this "Age of Worms" thing sound pretty ominous.

I can tell you more about the worm-ridden undead... we call them Shoggoth... but first tell me what you've already seen. Were there worms among the Twisted Branch lizardfolk? Is that why so many of them were dead? There were a lot more live lizardfolk when they captured us...
After the party detailed their adventure among the lizardfolk:
Marzena listens to the party's story, then comments, I agree some of the Twisted Branch leaders were evil. Especially their king. We encountered him after we were captured. That doesn't necessarily mean he was infected, though. Was he the one that the worm burst out of when you killed him? Because that's how it works. If you kill an infected creature, you'll likely see the worms. Outside of a body, the worms will die eventually. They also cannot abide the touch of silver. So the worms alone aren't too dangerous by themselves.

She continues, However, if the worms are allowed to thrive in a living creature and the infection runs its course, they'll kill the creature sooner or later. That's when things get bad, because the creature will become undead, a worm-ridden zombie. We call them Shoggoth to distinguish them from more ordinary zombies. They are terrifying; I've seen even brave witches flee from them. They are also much stronger than regular zombies and harder to destroy. The worms seem to knit them back together when they're damaged. Even worse, they can infect other creatures with their worms, leading to more of their kind. I think they might carry other diseases, as well.

These Shoggoth have been appearing in the Calenvicar for some time now, mostly among the lizardfolk tribes, but other humanoids as well. A few of my coven sisters and I have been keeping these infestation contained so far. The good news is that the worms can be killed by magic that cures disease, even going so far as to make a Shoggoth more like a normal zombie. We've also come up with recipes for certain substances that can help fight the Shoggoths and their worms, if you happen to have some dead worms to serve as an ingredient...

The egg full of worms is a new one to me. Maybe something like that has been the source of these infestations all along? It sounds like a black dragon egg to me. Black dragons are not uncommon of in these parts, but I've never heard of them being infected by the worms, only humanoids. So I don't know if the worms could have come from the mother dragon. Or maybe someone or something else infected the egg? But who would do such a thing?
And then:
CGM3 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:36 am Cyrius asks Marzena what symptoms being "wormed" might display, and suggests everybody be checked.
Marzena explains, Well, there are actually at least two types of worms I'm aware of. The first is the worm that comes directly from contact with a Shoggoth zombie. These burrow into your body rather quickly until they reach the brain. Then they eat your brain until you die and rise as a Shoggoth. So the symptoms are some type of small wound from the worm entering the body, then becoming stupider and stupider. It's a pretty fast process, so I think we would notice.

The second type of worm is more insidious, but slow acting. I've observed these in isolated swamp pools near where we've encountered the Shoggoth. These can enter the body through the mouth or other orifices if you bathe in or drink the water. Then they multiply, making you weaker and weaker until you die and rise as a Shoggoth. So the symptoms are a little different and more subtle, but the end result is the same. Is anyone feeling particularly weak?

OUT OF CHARACTER
In game terms, the symptoms of the "fast" worms are at least 1 hp of initial damage, followed by a few hp per round, followed by INT damage per round. The symptoms of the "slow" worms are CON damage per day. None of the PC's have these symptoms.

Worrel was able to detect evil from the worms inside the egg, but there were an awful lot of them inside a thin shell. He's not sure if it would work on a worm already inside a body.

And finally:
JPetherick wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:07 pm Worrel waits patiently before asking a question.

"You said that the Shoggoth can be harmed by magic that cures disease. Is that only spells, or other magics as well? I ask because MItra has granted me some ability to cure sickness and disease?"
Marzena replies, I'm not sure... maybe? I'm not an expert on the divine powers granted by gods. Witchcraft works very differently. Maybe if you explain in more detail...
OUT OF CHARACTER
Let's assume that an in-character discussion follows that translates to game mechanics like this:
  • The spell remove disease kills worms in general and will turn a "shoggoth" into an everyday, ordinary zombie
  • Remove disease isn't on the paladin spell list, but there's a Mercy (Diseased) that lets a paladin use it via his lay on hands
  • Worrel doesn't currently have that Mercy, but if you want to retcon your 6th level choice and swap out for it, that's fine

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Marzena can also create the following potions, if she has a sufficient sample of worms to use as a component:

Shoggoth Worm Paste
This cup-sized container of badsmelling greenish-brown paste renders a creature immune to the green worms of shoggoth. Any worm from a shoggoth (or similar worm attacks) dies instantly if it touches a creature protected by the paste. Applying the paste is a full-round action and lasts 1 hour. Each cup of paste can protect one creature. If the container is thrown at a shoggoth, it transforms the creature into a normal zombie.
Aura Faint abjuration; CL 5th

Shoggothbane Oil
This rank oily substance gives a weapon the undead-bane property for 1 hour. Any shoggoth or similar creature of the Outer Darkness struck by the affected weapon takes +1d6 damage in addition to the +2d6 from the bane property. One vial coats a single melee weapon or 20 units of ammunition.
Aura Faint transmutation; CL 5th

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”