The Third Face of Evil

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Re: [Active Thread] The Third Face of Evil

Post by CGM3 »

Much obliged, Cyrius thanks the Amazon. I suspect that potion Ugly was going for is a healing draught, he continues. Finding someplace to rest is a good idea, but it never hurts to have a fall-back, and he might have something else useful on him. And I'm wondering what that noise signifies.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel nods his thanks to Lola. I have also used all of the healing granted by Mitra for this day, says the paladin.

That was close fought. I agree that we need to rest and recover and we may not have much time, if that sound was any indication. We should look for any valuables, including healing magic as you say, Cyrius. Both what the Faceless One carried and what was in the room where we encountered him.
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus nods his thanks to Lola saying, I agree. We should search all the bodies and rooms we've been in with them. As for that noise. I'm sure it has something to do with his last words. Considering such a noise as a danger yet to be seen I think resting in these tunnels might not be safe.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

OUT OF CHARACTER
For the record I got so frustrated by Marcus' ineffectual attacks I was about to cast Create Pit and let Marcus step in. His Feather Fall Ring would let him land softly on his feet while the Faceless One fell Prone. He then would have spent the next five rounds casting Electrified Burning Hands and melee attacks with his heavy mace throwing caution to the wind.

Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Duniagdra wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:25 am
OUT OF CHARACTER
For the record I got so frustrated by Marcus' ineffectual attacks I was about to cast Create Pit and let Marcus step in. His Feather Fall Ring would let him land softly on his feet while the Faceless One fell Prone. He then would have spent the next five rounds casting Electrified Burning Hands and melee attacks with his heavy mace throwing caution to the wind.

OUT OF CHARACTER
You were frustrated! I kept swingin' and missin' so many times I was seriously considering trying a grapple, which should've reduced his armor class enough to let the rest of you hit him. :rant:

Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Are you guys playing with Action Point? If I recall, that would be a way to help with bad rolls... If not, perhaps you should use them! A PbP being more difficult then a table top game due to its asynchronous nature of the posts...

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

CGM3 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 10:03 am
Duniagdra wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:25 am
OUT OF CHARACTER

OUT OF CHARACTER
You were frustrated! I kept swingin' and missin' so many times I was seriously considering trying a grapple, which should've reduced his armor class enough to let the rest of you hit him. :rant:

OUT OF CHARACTER
LOL

Image Image
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

admin wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 10:26 am
OUT OF CHARACTER
Are you guys playing with Action Point? If I recall, that would be a way to help with bad rolls... If not, perhaps you should use them! A PbP being more difficult then a table top game due to its asynchronous nature of the posts...

OUT OF CHARACTER
I'm fine either way.

Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: The Third Face of Evil

Post by patransom »

I've created a new sticky thread here to continue the adventure.

We can continue the post-mortem on this 8-month long combat (which I thought was great fun) here.

The Faceless One was so tough because he had time to buff while you guys fought the allip, the summoned crocodile, and the minion Acolytes. He had Mage Armor, Shield, and Shield of Faith (from a potion), making his AC 25, a little higher even than your front line fighters Worrel and Cyrius! He also had False Life and a bunch of healing potions.

Together, the AC plus extra HP/healing made him a tough boss fight. He used every single spell (even Hold Portal) and scroll available to him and all potions except that last one. At the end there, he was reduced to using his Hand of the Apprentice class feature (which at least had a chance of hitting) or fighting in melee with his dagger (a hopeless proposition).

Although I understand the frustration about him being hard to hit, as a DM I felt like this was an appropriately dramatic, long battle against a major villain. In comparison, in my tabletop game, the party managed to sneak up on the Faceless One. He did some damage with a lightning bolt, but because he didn't get to buff, he went down very quickly, which was pretty anti-climactic for a cult mastermind.

There's still a bit more to this module and I think you'll find it rather different, fighting wise. But probably equally challenging...
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

OUT OF CHARACTER
As disappointed as I may have gotten with Marcus' inability in combat I have no complaints in how this went. 8 months though? Really?

Image Image
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

OUT OF CHARACTER
WOW!!! I just looked back and counted months on my fingers. LOL 8 months.

Image Image
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Yea, and Prost sleep thru it all.... :D
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue