The Third Face of Evil

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Active Thread] The Third Face of Evil

Post by patransom »

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spell ... ching-ray/
Marcus is 5th level. He gets two rays. Guess its and error in TOS.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Nope. TOS is correct. See bold underlined text from the spell description:

"You may fire one ray, plus one additional ray for every four levels beyond 3rd..."

So the second ray doesn't come until 7th level.

Wait. Doesnt Marcus get a save for that touch effect?
OUT OF CHARACTER
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/core ... -of-idiocy: "Saving Throw: no"

In general, spells that require an attack roll (melee touch or ray) do not also allow a saving throw.

Marcus admires the walls while effectively stupefied.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Marcus is still free to act. His current stats are INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 14, so he's not incapacitated.

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus has no action
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 27

Marcus admires the walls while effectively stupefied.

Lola runs toward the fray.

Worrell continues to move towards the sound of combat, taking the time to call upon Mitra to heal his wounds [Healed 5 hp].

To the Pit with Angall! Cyrius snarls as he takes another fruitless swing at the Faceless One.

The Faceless One laughs at Marcus' distraction and Cyrius' anger. He steps back into the corner of the room and flings his dagger at Cyrius. After the weapon narrowly misses, it returns magically to the Faceless One's hand.

Tex steps forward and shoots an arrow. The missile darts towards the Faceless One with surprising speed, leaving the wizard time to react [3 hp damage]

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Spells in effect:

1. Bless: all party members +1 morale to attack and +1 to saves vs. fear, 0.3 minutes left

2. Web: The entire area is difficult terrain (2 squares per square). In addition, anyone moving through the webs must make a combat maneuver check or Escape Artist check as part of their move action, with a DC of 17. Creatures that fail lose their movement and become grappled in the first square of webbing that they enter. If you have at least 5 feet of web between you and an opponent, it provides cover. If you have at least 20 feet of web between you, it provides total cover.

Coming up in Round 28:

1. Marcus Tilsworth: nothing in hand, 1 elemental ray left, 4 alchemists fire left, 84 bolts left, Shield 4.2 min left, Mage armor 299.3 min left, light 49.6 min left, 26 hp, 3 WIS damage, temporary -4 to INT, WIS, and CHA

2. Lola: loaded heavy crossbow readied, wand of CLW 2 charges left, 3 channel energy left, 77 bolts left, 35 hp damage

3. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 42 arrows left, Smite Evil 0 left, Lay on Hands 0 left, Divine Bond 2.4 min left, Smite Evil vs. the Faceless One, 48 hp damage

4. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: charged mind blade longsword and sun rod readied, 23 bolts left, 43 hp damage

5. Masked Man in Green Robes (a.k.a. the Faceless One) (F1): holding a dagger, 53 hp damage (2 were nonlethal, plus he's healed some)

6. Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 3 regular bullets left, 40 crossbow bolts left, sunrod in boot, Elixir of Vision 56.7 min left, comatose, cannot act

7. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 17 arrows left, Aspect of the Falcon 0.9 min left, 40 hp damage
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

With the faceless one back in his corner, marcus casts scrortching ray again.
OUT OF CHARACTER
will add rolls tonight. I don't like how they word things in the rules. Just thought I'd point that out.

Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

After Marcus makes his magical attack, Cyrius steps forward to 0114 and tries once more to hit the Faceless One--
--crying out "Praise Athena!" when he succeeds!
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus unleashes a blast of electrical power at the Faceless One.
Marcus blasts a hole in the wall beside his target.
Failing again, Marcus moves to 216.
Image Image
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola, seeing Prost, pauses long enough to see he is in no danger, continues to run to the group.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Question about the spell cast against Marcus. That was a touch attack meaning its base on Marcus' touch AC, right? If not, what spell is automatic success? Also, it TOS+ Marcus has a touch AC 11+8. I cannot find in the sheet where this +8 comes from and what conditions triggers it.

Image Image
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Duniagdra wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:25 pm Question about the spell cast against Marcus. That was a touch attack meaning its base on Marcus' touch AC, right? If not, what spell is automatic success? Also, it TOS+ Marcus has a touch AC 11+8. I cannot find in the sheet where this +8 comes from and what conditions triggers it.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Click on that box - the Tooldtips that will pop up will tell you the source of any value added...!
admin

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Duniagdra wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:25 pm Question about the spell cast against Marcus. That was a touch attack meaning its base on Marcus' touch AC, right? If not, what spell is automatic success? Also, it TOS+ Marcus has a touch AC 11+8. I cannot find in the sheet where this +8 comes from and what conditions triggers it.
admin wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:37 pmClick on that box - the Tooldtips that will pop up will tell you the source of any value added...!
admin
OUT OF CHARACTER
Yes, it was a touch attack that hit Marcus' touch AC of 11. I checked the tooltips in TOS and the +8 is from Mage Armor and Shield. Both of these add to touch AC against INCORPOREAL touch attacks (that's why they're conditional). They don't apply here, but if I recall correctly, the Faceless One rolled high enough on his touch attack roll to hit even if they did apply.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

patransom wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:38 am
admin wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:37 pmClick on that box - the Tooldtips that will pop up will tell you the source of any value added...!
admin
OUT OF CHARACTER
Yes, it was a touch attack that hit Marcus' touch AC of 11. I checked the tooltips in TOS and the +8 is from Mage Armor and Shield. Both of these add to touch AC against INCORPOREAL touch attacks (that's why they're conditional). They don't apply here, but if I recall correctly, the Faceless One rolled high enough on his touch attack roll to hit even if they did apply.

OUT OF CHARACTER
okay. didnt realize MA and Shield effected touch also. When will Marcus finally hit something? No answer needed. :(

Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting on Worrel

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel moves past Tex to close with the Faceless One. He can attack once, hoping to dispatch the evil magic-user.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry - forgot that Tex was being botted, and hoped to charge

OUT OF CHARACTER
Move - 20 ft to 0213
Attack - longsword +12 (BAB +5, Str +4, Divine Bond +1, Smite Evil +2), 1d8+10 dmg (+4 Str, +1 Divine Bond, +5 Smite Evil)

Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 28

Marcus unleashes a blast of electrical power at the Faceless One, scorching the wall beside his target. Then he moves back a little.

Lola, seeing Prost, pauses long enough to see he is in no danger, then continues to run to the group, entering the room of the main conflict.

Worrel moves past Tex to close with the Faceless One. He can attack once, hoping to dispatch the evil magic-user. He swings and misses.

After Marcus makes his magical attack, Cyrius steps forward and tries once more to hit the Faceless One. He is about to cry out "Praise Athena," but realizes the Faceless One's magical protections have again deflected his attack.

Although cornered, the Faceless One seems to either (a) have no regard for his own personal safety or (b) no respect for Cyrius and Worrel's weapon skills, because he magically launches his dagger at Cyrius again. Whatever the reason, his decision proves to be a mistake, as it leaves him open to opportunistic strikes from both foes. Worrel misses, but Cyrius executes a tricky chop that catches the man by surprise [critical confirmed, 18 hp damage]. Bloodied, but still standing, the Faceless One finishes his magical dagger throw, which Cyrius easily ducks.

Tex fires an arrow into the fray, but misses thanks to the obstruction created by Cyrius and Worrel.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Spells in effect:

1. Bless: all party members +1 morale to attack and +1 to saves vs. fear, 0.2 minutes left

2. Web: The entire area is difficult terrain (2 squares per square). In addition, anyone moving through the webs must make a combat maneuver check or Escape Artist check as part of their move action, with a DC of 17. Creatures that fail lose their movement and become grappled in the first square of webbing that they enter. If you have at least 5 feet of web between you and an opponent, it provides cover. If you have at least 20 feet of web between you, it provides total cover.

Coming up in Round 29:

1. Marcus Tilsworth: nothing in hand, 1 elemental ray left, 4 alchemists fire left, 84 bolts left, Shield 4.1 min left, Mage armor 299.2 min left, light 49.5 min left, 26 hp, 3 WIS damage, temporary -4 to INT, WIS, and CHA

2. Lola: loaded heavy crossbow readied, wand of CLW 2 charges left, 3 channel energy left, 77 bolts left, 35 hp damage

3. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 42 arrows left, Smite Evil 0 left, Lay on Hands 0 left, Divine Bond 2.3 min left, Smite Evil vs. the Faceless One, 48 hp damage

4. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: uncharged mind blade longsword and sun rod readied, 23 bolts left, 43 hp damage

5. Masked Man in Green Robes (a.k.a. the Faceless One) (F1): holding a dagger, 71 hp damage (2 were nonlethal, plus he's healed some)

6. Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 3 regular bullets left, 40 crossbow bolts left, sunrod in boot, Elixir of Vision 56.6 min left, comatose, cannot act

7. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 16 arrows left, Aspect of the Falcon 0.8 min left, 40 hp damage
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Stepping to 0114, Cyrius charges his mind blade with psychic energy and strikes at the Faceless One again.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Strange, I hit with a total of 20 before...

"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel swings again, trying to dispatch the Faceless One. Unfortunately, he misses again.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:21 pmStrange, I hit with a total of 20 before...
OUT OF CHARACTER
Pretty sure you're mistaken. You did hit with a total of 30 before...

Also, refer back to here where I gave some hints about how high the Faceless One's AC is...

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Also, if Worrel and Cyrius want to do additional rolls for AoOs, I'm pretty sure the Faceless One's going to provoke again.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

patransom wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:10 pm
CGM3 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:21 pmStrange, I hit with a total of 20 before...
OUT OF CHARACTER
Pretty sure you're mistaken. You did hit with a total of 30 before...

Also, refer back to here where I gave some hints about how high the Faceless One's AC is...

Ah, seem to have misremembered. Carry on. :8
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Possible AoO

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Contingency for anticipated Cyrius' AoO vs the Faceless One

How did I roll a 1, add 10, and get 1? Just to make it nuttier, I did three more, and got similar results; the +10 is apparently seen as +0.
Anyway, it'll be a miss.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

CGM3 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:17 pm How did I roll a 1, add 10, and get 1? Just to make it nuttier, I did three more, and got similar results; the +10 is apparently seen as +0.
Perhaps alert the site owner?
admin
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

admin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:51 pm
CGM3 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:17 pm How did I roll a 1, add 10, and get 1? Just to make it nuttier, I did three more, and got similar results; the +10 is apparently seen as +0.
Perhaps alert the site owner?
admin
And now it's working properly again. Gah! :wtf:
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus brings forth his heavy mace.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Just waiting on Lola and I think we might finally bring this combat to an end...

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Seeing a tiny gab between the two surrounding the faceless one, Lola lets a bolt fly.

Image to hit (did not subtract for firing into melee, so -4 from this if it counts)
ImageDamage if hits (but I doubt it will)
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

kabkal wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:50 am Seeing a tiny gab between the two surrounding the faceless one, Lola lets a bolt fly.
OUT OF CHARACTER
You'd endanger a poor, defenseless gab? What did it ever do to you? It might have a family! :P

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

CGM3 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:00 pm
kabkal wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:50 am Seeing a tiny gab between the two surrounding the faceless one, Lola lets a bolt fly.
OUT OF CHARACTER
You'd endanger a poor, defenseless gab? What did it ever do to you? It might have a family! :P

OUT OF CHARACTER
It looked threatening to me

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 29

Marcus brings forth his heavy mace.

Seeing a tiny gap between the two surrounding the Faceless One, Lola lets a bolt fly. The gap is not large enough.

Worrel swings again, trying to dispatch the Faceless One. Unfortunately, he misses again.

Cyrius charges his mind blade with psychic energy and strikes at the Faceless One again. He just barely misses.

Badly wounded, the Faceless One makes another poor decision and tries to retrieve a potion from his robes. This leaves him open to attack and Worrel's swing connects with a spine-chilling WHACK as it shears open the wizard's center for all to see. Clutching his guts, the Faceless One gasps, You may have foiled our plans, heretics... but now... you will die... the Overgod... wakes.

A faint rumble echoes through the labyrinth from the south as the dying Faceless One collapses to the floor face-first. His mask shatters, revealing his hideous visage (see attached). His face is a blank, featureless slate save for a small, sharp nose and a toothless mouth.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Combat ends. Prost wakes up. What will you do now?

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Spells in effect:

1. Bless: all party members +1 morale to attack and +1 to saves vs. fear, 0.1 minutes left

1. Marcus Tilsworth: heavy mace in hand, 1 elemental ray left, 4 alchemists fire left, 84 bolts left, Shield 4.0 min left, Mage armor 299.1 min left, light 49.4 min left, 26 hp, 3 WIS damage, temporary -4 to INT, WIS, and CHA

2. Lola: loaded heavy crossbow readied, wand of CLW 2 charges left, 3 channel energy left, 76 bolts left, 35 hp damage

3. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 42 arrows left, Smite Evil 0 left, Lay on Hands 0 left, Divine Bond 2.2 min left, Smite Evil vs. the Faceless One, 48 hp damage

4. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: uncharged mind blade longsword and sun rod readied, 23 bolts left, 43 hp damage

5. Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 3 regular bullets left, 40 crossbow bolts left, sunrod in boot, Elixir of Vision 56.5 min left

6. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 16 arrows left, Aspect of the Falcon 0.7 min left, 40 hp damage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola says Get together, I don't have much left but here it goes. She will then use two of her last three energy channeling to heal the group.
After healing she says We need to think about resting somewhere. I cannot heal much beyond this today.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”