Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Parts 1 and 2

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Active Thread] Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Part 1

Post by patransom »

Round 4

Prost and Fluffy move into the cover of some rocks and fire at L22, but miss. Prost reloads.

Marcus advances' directly west. He throws the bead at the wolverine, triggering the fireball. The explosion encompasses not only the wolverine, but also the viper (V), the wand-wielding lizard (S), and L11-14. When the smoke clears, only the viper, the wand lizard, and L11 remain standing. The snake seems completely unharmed [13 hp damage; the viper and L11 made reflex saves and the viper has evasion].

Worrel fires another arrow at the same lizard, recognizing that its magical powers are the greatest threat at the moment. This arrow also misses the lizard.

Tex continues to follow Worrel's example. One of his two arrows finds its mark, a swift snapshot that darts past all defenses, leaving the lizard stained in greenish blood [8 hp damage].

Lola moves forward and reloads.

Cyrius shoots at L22 with his crossbow, but misses. The lizardfolk next to him take the opportunity to strike, but their crude morningstars find Cyrius too agile a target. Cyrius drops the weapon and unlimbers his shield.

Panicked from the explosion, the lizard with the wand (S) retrieves and drinks a potion. Some of her wounds heal. The viper (V) remains nearby.

Across the battlefield, the lizard-in-charge (K) continues to move southeast, passing through some rocks. Since he doesn't have cover for most of his move, some of the soldiers on the tower shoot at him (S1, S2, and S10). They all miss. L24-L27 follow their leader.

The last of the group of lizards to the west (L11) rushes towards the main group of the party and just reaches Lola.

To the north, L20 joins L22 and L23 and they begin positioning to try to surround Cyrius (i.e., L23 took a 5' step). With Cyrius' shield now readied, however, the lizards strikes don't get past his defenses.

L21 and L24 move to attack Prost and Fluffly. Two of the tower soldiers (S3, S4) shoot at them and one of them sinks an arrow into L21 [4 hp damage]. Ignoring the arrows, the lizardfolk direct their blows at Fluffy. One of them connects with a swift ramming jab that surprises the dog [3 hp damage].

The group of lizards to the far west (L6-L10) begins running across the field towards the party, even though this opens them up to arrow shots from the keep (S5, S6, and S7). S7 gets an arrow into L7 [5 hp damage]

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Spells in effect
Bless: +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects, 4.6 min left
Unerring Weapon: +3 bonus on attack rolls to confirm critical hits, 1 round left

Round 5
1. Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 1 unerring +1 bullets left, 16 +1 bullets left total
2. Fluffly: 3 hp damage
3. Marcus Tilsworth: nothing readied, 3 unerring bolts left, 42 bolts left total
4. Worrel: MW composite longbow readied, 38 arrows left
5. Texudus TreeBender: MW composite longbow readied, 2 unerring arrows left, 38 arrows left total
6. Lola: loaded light crossbow readied, 50 bolts left
7. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: shield readied, MW light crossbow dropped at 5141, 17 bolts left
8. Shesht (S): wand readied, 34 hp damage, but healed some
9. Big Viper Snake (V)
10. Kushak (K)
11. Lizardfolk (L1-28): 8 dead, L7 5 hp damage, L21 4 hp damage
12. Shadow Castle Keep Soldiers (S1-10)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius activates the light flash ability of his shield, catching L20, L22 & L23 in its effect (Ref vs DC 14 or blinded for 1d4 rnds), then materializes his mind blade (free action) and if the activation was a move action uses his standard action to attack any of the lizardfolk who are NOT blinded.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel drops his bow, intending to return for it, and advances towards Lola and the lizardman. He draws his sword as he moves, swingin at the lizardman when he closes with it.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Free - drop bow
Move - 15 ft due west
Attack - with longsword (no shield)

Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola curses had whoever just destroyed her wolverine, drops her crossbow (will pick up after the battle), draws her +1 short sword and attacks L11

Image to hit (includes bless)
Image damage if hits
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

OUT OF CHARACTER
marcus had moved west. He didn't 5 foot. It was a move action. Should be much further west.

Marcus drawshis wand of magic missile and fires at L23.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Duniagdra wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:56 pm marcus had moved west. He didn't 5 foot. It was a move action. Should be much further west.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Ack. Sorry, looks like I forgot to move him on the map. I'll catch it in the next update.

Just waiting on Prost now.

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Sorry all, Holidays busy...will post tonight.
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost pushes Fluffy to attack L21...Fluffy get him
OUT OF CHARACTER
not sure a ride check is needed, but here it is if needed Image

Image Image Attack specil TRIP.
Prost attacks L21 if still standing... otherwise he attacks L24.

ImageImage

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

smeltdm wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:45 pm Prost attacks L21 if still standing... otherwise he attacks L24.

ImageImage
OUT OF CHARACTER
Question: do you mean to fire the sling staff or use it as a melee weapon?

If you're shooting, this will provoke attack(s) of opportunity, since you are in the reach of the lizardfolk.
If you're using it in melee, I will keep your attack roll, but the bonus is only +7, not +11. You should re-roll damage, which would be 1d4+1, not 1d6+2.

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Hmm, can Fluffy do a five foot step to east, and Prost would atk from there? Then Prost would club L21 if he dosen't go down, then Prost would club him, otherwise he fires at L24....I'm assumig Fluffy hits L21 with Trip, which would give Prost a sneak attack because L21 would be prone...
OUT OF CHARACTER
So here is club dmg...Image

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 5

Prost commands his combat-trained mount to attack (free action with a DC10 ride check, which succeeds). Fluffy makes a risky, hurtling lunge, but his bite lands true, ramming his teeth into L21, who collapses on the ground [8 hp damage kills the lizardfolk, no trip needed]. Prost then directs Fluffy to back carefully out of combat away from the remaining lizardfolk (using the Down trick, a move action with a DC12 handle animal check because Fluffy is wounded, which also succeeds). Prost shoots his slingstaff at L24 and a crashing sound tells his the shot has landed true [5 hp damage].

Marcus draws his wand of magic missile and fires at L23. After a whistling thunk, the magical projectile scores a penetrating hit into the creature [2 hp damage].

Worrel drops his bow, intending to return for it, and advances towards Lola and the lizardman. He draws his sword as he moves, swinging at the lizardman when he closes with it. Creeping closer with each swing he stifles all attempts to mount a defense, splitting the lizard open with a final swing [12 hp damage kills L11].

Tex shoots his last two unerring arrows at the spell-casting lizardwoman Shesht. Both missiles dart towards their target with surprising speed, leaving Shesht no time to react [10 hp damage total].

With L11 taken care of, Lola maintains her hold on her crossbow and, cursing whoever just destroyed her wolverine, shoots it at Shesht. She misses, but reloads. (I took the liberty of changing your action, let me know if that's not what you would have done)

Cyrius activates the light flash ability of his shield (a standard action), catching L20, L22 & L23 in its effect. L20 manages to guard his eyes, but the other two are temporarily blinded. Cyrius materializes his mind blade.

The lizard with the wand (S) retrieves and drinks another potion. Again, some of her wounds heal. The viper (V) remains nearby.

The lizard-in-charge (K) continues to move south toward the fight, remaining under fire from the soldiers on the tower (S1, S2, and S10). They all miss. L25-L27 continue to follow.

With his friends blinded, L20 is the only lizard in that group to attack Cyrius. He shifts his position first (5' step), but this doesn't help him make contact.

L24 steps to follow Prost and Fluffly. A solid bash from its crude moningstar breaks through Fluffy's guard, but it misses with its bite. Still, Fluffy is now badly wounded [9 more hp damage]

The group of lizards from the far west (L6-L10) continues running across the field towards the party. Solider from the keep (S3, S4, S5, S6) continue shooting at them. L7 is taken down by S3 [8 more hp damage]

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Spells in effect
Bless: +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects, 4.5 min left

Round 6
1. Evan Prost: unloaded slingstaff readied, 15 +1 bullets left total
2. Fluffly: 12 hp damage
3. Marcus Tilsworth: wand of magic missile with 37 charges readied, 42 bolts left
4. Worrel: MW longsword readied, MW composite longbow dropped at 5849, 38 arrows left
5. Texudus TreeBender: MW composite longbow readied, 36 arrows left
6. Lola: loaded light crossbow readied, 49 bolts left
7. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: shield and mind blade readied, MW light crossbow dropped at 5141, 17 bolts left
8. Shesht (S): wand readied, 44 hp damage, but healed some
9. Big Viper Snake (V)
10. Kushak (K)
11. Lizardfolk (L1-28): 11 dead, L22 blinded, L23 2 hp damage and blinded, L24 5 hp damage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel advances towards the lizard with the wand and it's viper.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Double move - 40 ft to 4749

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Your change to my attack is exactly what I would have done. All is good.

Lola will finish reloading and move up 15' towards S.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

With a full round to act, Cyrius charges his mind blade with psychic energy (move act) and hews at L20 (standard act):
OUT OF CHARACTER
A pity L22 & L23 are blinded, else the sight of their comrade being abruptly eviscerated would probably call for morale checks. :thumb1:

"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost urges Fluffy to withdraw, first moving diagonally 4342 (to avoid AOE) and south and east to 5357.
Prost retrieves two potions of CLW from Handy Haversack during withdrawal to give to Fluffy...Prost fast dismounts at end of withdrawal...
….

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Seeing the field of foes and his allies as it stands, Marcus directs his attention to the west. Wand vs Wand seems fair. He focuses his wand on S until dead, then V.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 6

Prost urges Fluffy to withdraw, which the dog happily does. Prost stows his slingstaff and retrieves a potions, then fast dismounts at the end (Fluffy doesn't have enough move to reach 5357, so I got you as far as I could).

Seeing the field of foes and his allies as it stands, Marcus directs his attention to the west. Wand vs Wand seems fair. He focuses his wand on Shesht and causes an impressive thwacking sound [4 hp damage].

Worrel advances towards the lizard with the wand and it's viper.

Tex also continues to focus on the spellcaster. With expert precision, he sends two arrows plunging heinously into his foe [18 hp damage total].

With her crossbow already loaded, Lola moves towards Shesht.

Cyrius charges his mind blade with psychic energy and hews at L20. By the time Cyrius is finished with his foe, the lizard looks like nothing more than carved slabs of meat [critical confirmed, 23 hp damage total]. The other two lizardfolk recover their sight just a little too late to see exactly what happened.

The lizard with the wand (S) casts a spell on herself, healing some more wounds. The viper (V) continues to lurk nearby.

Soldiers on the tower (S2, S3, S4) shoot at, but miss, the lizard leader Kushak (K) as he moves into combat with Cyrius. He swings his club, but cannot connect.

L22 and 23 try to avenge their fallen comrade, with L23 stepping around into a flanking position. They are not effective.

With Fluffy escaped, L24 joins the group beginning to surround Cyrius. He also misses. L25, 26, and 28 take a circuitous route to Cyrius, who now finds himself nearly encircled.

The group of lizards from the far west (L6-L10) moves to intercept Worrel. Soliders from the keep (S5, S6) continue shooting at them. One of them hits L6 [8 hp damage].

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Spells in effect
Bless: +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects, 4.4 min left

Round 7
1. Evan Prost: potion of CLW readied, 15 +1 bullets left total
2. Fluffly: 12 hp damage
3. Marcus Tilsworth: wand of magic missile with 36 charges readied, 42 bolts left
4. Worrel: MW longsword readied, MW composite longbow dropped at 5849, 38 arrows left
5. Texudus TreeBender: MW composite longbow readied, 34 arrows left
6. Lola: loaded light crossbow readied, 49 bolts left
7. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: shield and mind blade readied, MW light crossbow dropped at 5141, 17 bolts left
8. Shesht (S): wand readied, 66 hp damage, but healed some
9. Big Viper Snake (V)
10. Kushak (K)
11. Lizardfolk (L1-28): 12 dead, L6 8 hp damage, L23 2 hp damage, L24 5 hp damage
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Taking advantage of the target-rich environment, Cyrius again triggers the flash effect of his shield (std act, affects all w/in 20 ft, Ref vs DC 14 or blinded for 1d4 rounds) and charges his mind blade with psychic energy (move act), hoping his 25 AC is up to the task of protecting him.

Don't let me have all the fun! he shouts to his comrades.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel attacks, attempting to eliminate both of the lizardmen in front of him. To do so, he focuses on offence rather than protecting himself.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Cleave - -2 AC (currently AC 22, Touch 9, Flat 21)

If he dispatches the two lizardmen, Worrel moves to engage L6 and L10.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Move - 20 ft to 4349

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

patransom wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:42 am Round 6

Prost urges Fluffy to withdraw, which the dog happily does. Prost retrieves two potions, which requires dropping his slingstaff, then fast dismounts at the end (Fluffy doesn't have enough move to reach 5357, so I got you as far as I could).
OUT OF CHARACTER
Prost wouldn't drop his slingstaff. Econmy of actions...move action to stow slingstaff, move action to retrive only one CLW potion from handyhaversack, and Fast dismount I belive is a free action..or am I missing "Prost urges Fluffy to withdraw" as an action...order of action, withdrawal, stow slingstaff, retrive potion/ or potions, fastdismount... :(

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

smeltdm wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:18 am Prost wouldn't drop his slingstaff. Econmy of actions...move action to stow slingstaff, move action to retrive only one CLW potion from handyhaversack, and Fast dismount I belive is a free action..or am I missing "Prost urges Fluffy to withdraw" as an action...order of action, withdrawal, stow slingstaff, retrive potion/ or potions, fastdismount... :(
OUT OF CHARACTER
Okay. I will update above to have Prost stow staff and ready one potion. I am ruling that having Fluffy withdraw does not require an action from Prost, since that's what Fluffy would do in the absence of any commands.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus trains his wand on L23 taking one move action to move in that direction.
Image Image
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I need your ruling/judgement on this thought. I was toying with the idea of using my unseen servant wand to summon one as a way to distract the lizardmen surrounding Cyrius; pushing arms in mid swing, maybe charging one to nudge, something like that. Is there any rule about distractions in combat and could it be reasonable that an unseen servant could apply enough force to effect any form of distractive actions? Maybe throwing a light stone when a lizard man is trying to hit?

I tried searching, but these were the only results I found.
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=006680642 ... gsc.page=1

Image Image
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Duniagdra wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:25 pm Marcus trains his wand on L23 taking one move action to move in that direction.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Just realized I omittedmy action to fire the magic missile.

Image Image
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will once again move forward (4 squares in front of P on the map) and fire at S.

Image To hit (forgot about bless)
Image damage
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Duniagdra wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:33 pm I need your ruling/judgement on this thought. I was toying with the idea of using my unseen servant wand to summon one as a way to distract the lizardmen surrounding Cyrius; pushing arms in mid swing, maybe charging one to nudge, something like that. Is there any rule about distractions in combat and could it be reasonable that an unseen servant could apply enough force to effect any form of distractive actions? Maybe throwing a light stone when a lizard man is trying to hit?

I tried searching, but these were the only results I found.
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=006680642 ... gsc.page=1
OUT OF CHARACTER
We can discuss. I put my initial thoughts here.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting on an action from Prost

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost gives Fluffy CLW potion and loads his sling staff, with +bullet.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 7

Don't let me have all the fun! Cyrius shouts to his comrades...

Prost feeds Fluffy a potion [healed 6 hp] and reloads his slingstaff.

Marcus trains his wand on L23 and moves in that direction. The wand produces a slash that bewilders the lizard of its origin [4 hp damage]

Worrel attacks, attempting to eliminate both of the lizardmen in front of him. To do so, he focuses on offense rather than protecting himself. Unfortunately, the lizards are able to duck his swing.

Responding to Cyrius' call, Tex moves in that direction, bringing himself into point blank range of L25. The melee surrounding Cyrius demands a precision shot and Tex delivers one [7 hp damage].

Lola once again moves forward and fires her crossbow at Shesht. The crossbow bolt seems to know exactly where it needs to go, bringing a swift end to the spellcasting lizardwoman [9 hp damage].

Taking advantage of the target-rich environment, Cyrius again triggers the flash effect of his shield and charges his mind blade with psychic energy, hoping his defenses are up to the task of protecting him. The flash blinds L23, L24, L26, and, significantly, Kushak. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to Cyrius, Marcus had also moved into range and ends up blinded too.

With its mistress dead, the viper (V) slithers to the south, off the field of battle.

The blind lizards, including Kushak, flail uselessly at Cyrius. The sighted lizards fare no better.

L6 moves to join the group fighting Worrel. Although the first two lizards in this group miss, L9 takes a daring and ferocious swing with his morningstar that crashes into Worrel [8 hp damage]. A followup bite is unsuccessful.

L10 moves to engage Lola. A spinning haymaker lands with a drumming bang [5 hp damage].

On the very far side of the keep, the last group of lizards (L1-5) begins moving.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Spells in effect
Bless: +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects, 4.3 min left

Round 8
1. Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 15 +1 bullets left total
2. Fluffly: 6 hp damage
3. Marcus Tilsworth: wand of magic missile with 35 charges readied, 42 bolts left, blinded ? rounds
4. Worrel: MW longsword readied, MW composite longbow dropped at 5849, 38 arrows left, 8 hp damage
5. Texudus TreeBender: MW composite longbow readied, 33 arrows left
6. Lola: loaded light crossbow readied, 49 bolts left, 5 hp damage
8. Shesht (S): DEAD
9. Big Viper Snake (V): FLED
10. Kushak (K): blinded ? rounds
11. Lizardfolk (L1-28): 12 dead, L6 8 hp damage, L23 6 hp damage & blinded, L24 5 hp damage & blinded, L25 7 hp damage, L26 blinded
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost attacks L6 @ 4650 with sling staff, +1 Bullet, and retrieves an other CLW potions to feed to Fluffy...Prost tries to calm FluffyEasy boy...

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”