Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Parts 1 and 2

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Active Thread] Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Part 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting on Prost

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost moves to 3306 and fires a bullet at K3, and reloads.
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Moved discussion of Rolz issues to this thread. Sorry, I have nothing to contribute to that...

Round 6 Continues

Lola reloads her crossbow and fires once again at K5. In spite of the melee surrounding her target, she's able to capitalize on a fleeting opportunity, deftly sending her bolt to strike the unsuspecting foe [8 hp damage]

Athena be with us! Cyrius cries exultantly, charging his mind blade with psychic energy and hewing at K7 again. He misses.

Worrel turns and attempts to dispatch the three unwounded kobolds to the north, swinging without regard for his protection. A hewing slice opens the insides of the first kobold, wounds the second with a spine-chilling snick, but misses the third [10 hp damage kills k5; 11 hp damage injures K6]. After his attack, Worrel steps so that his back is against the rock wall at the edge of the pool.

Round 7 Begins

Prost moves into the cave and fires a bullet a K3, who reacts to being struck as if hit by something far more heavy [6 hp damage].
OUT OF CHARACTER
Prost took a move action this turn; reloading would be a second move action]

Tex steps up and fires two arrows. He's not distracted by melee, so his first arrow spears clean through K3 and keeps going, carrying their life-force with it [7 hp kills K3]. With Cyrius in the way, his second arrow (at K6 or K7, doesn't matter) misses.

The two remaining creatures attempt to outflank Cyrius. K6 is not agile enough to slip by unscathed, however, so Cyrius' mind blade slices away the kobold's life with an expanding gash of a wound [I rolled terrible for damage, 6 hp is still enough to kill K6]. Without his ally's support, K7's (probably last) desperate attack misses.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Round 7 Continues:
1. Lola: unloaded crossbow readied, 45 bolts left, light cast on a bolt at 1108, 8 hp damage
2. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: mind blade longsword and sunrod readied, 17 bolts left, 4 hp damage
3. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 0 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left, wand of CLW 21 charges left, 6 hp damage
4. Fluffy: 11 hp damage
Round 8 Begins:
5. Evan Prost: unloaded slingstaff readied, 3 +1 bullets and 50 normal bullets left, darkvision 178.7 minutes left, water breathing ~10 hours left, 14 hp damage
6. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 36 arrows left, 4 hp damage
7. Black-scaled dog-lizards (K): K1 through K6 plus K8 dead, K7 uninjured
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Heartened by the success of his opportune strike at one kobold, Cyrius charges his mind blade with psychic energy and slashes at the last remaining foe.
...and misses again. :eek:
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will reload her crossbow and hold her fire.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel crosses the room but does not swing at the last kobold. Instead, he threatens the creature with the sword that just dispatched two of his companions.

Worrel shouts, "Drop your weapon! You have no chance!," at the kobold.

More quietly, he asks his companions, "Can any of you talk to this thing?"
OUT OF CHARACTER
Move - 15 ft to 2906
Hold Action

Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost puzzled by Worrel's comment, load his sling staff, but holds his shot, waiting for others to respond. Why would we want to talk to a dog? Held shot waiting for threatening move by K7...

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola lets it be known that she cannot speak to the thing.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex smirks at Prost's comment, Not I. Then moves to 2807, and holds his fire.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 7 Continues

Anticipating Worrel's mercy, Lola reloads her crossbow and holds her fire.

Heartened by the success of his opportune strike at one kobold, Cyrius charges his mind blade with psychic energy and slashes at the last remaining foe. And misses again

Worrel crosses the room but does not swing at the last kobold. Instead, he threatens the creature with the sword that just dispatched two of his companions. He shouts, Drop your weapon! You have no chance!, at the kobold. More quietly, he asks his companions, Can any of you talk to this thing? Lola lets it be known that she cannot

Round 8 Begins

Prost, puzzled by Worrel's comment, loads his sling staff, but holds his shot, waiting for others to respond. Why would we want to talk to a dog?

Tex smirks at Prost's comment, Not I. Then moves across the room and holds his fire.

The creature does not appear to understand Worrel's words, but definitely ducks at his tone of voice. It does not drop its weapon and, instead, attempts to escape to the west using evasive maneuvers... but not very successfully...

OUT OF CHARACTER
The kobold has failed his acrobatics check, so the first thing that happens is that Worrel and Cyrius can each make an Attack of Opportunity, if they want to.

Before anyone else does anything, can Worrel and Cyrius please post whether they wish to take the opportunity?

If you do, go ahead and roll the attack.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius will take the attack, lest the creature try to harm the eggs.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel also swings at the kobold.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 8 Continues

The kobold attempts to escape to the west using evasive maneuvers that are only partially effective.

Cyrius gets in a swing that misses.

Worrel, on the other hand, lands a powerful strike that defies the kobold's feeble efforts to avoid it [11 hp damage].

Bloodied, but still able to move, the kobold flees into the pond of eggs, moving agily among them. He seems to be heading in the direction of a much larger (halfling-sized) black egg that looms over the other eggs like a malignant gargoyle (at about 1804).

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Round 8 Continues:
1. Lola: loaded crossbow readied, 45 bolts left, light cast on a bolt at 1108, 8 hp damage
2. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: charged mind blade longsword and sunrod readied, 17 bolts left, 4 hp damage
3. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 0 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left, wand of CLW 21 charges left, 6 hp damage
4. Fluffy: 11 hp damage
Round 9 Begins:
5. Evan Prost: unloaded slingstaff readied, 3 +1 bullets and 50 normal bullets left, darkvision 178.6 minutes left, water breathing ~10 hours left, 14 hp damage
6. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 36 arrows left, 4 hp damage
7. Black-scaled dog-lizards (K): K1 through K6 plus K8 dead, K7 11 hp damage
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Well I guess it didn't want to talk Prost moves to 2907 and fires a bullet at the fleeing kobold K7.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Snarling an obscenity, Cyrius flings his psychically charged mind blade at the kobold, then re-materializes it.
And misses. :rant:
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Just to move things along...

Well I guess it didn't want to talk Prost moves forward and fires a bullet at the fleeing kobold. His shot forces the creature to shudder before becoming stiff and dropping with a splash. Followed by a crunch as its dead body smashes a couple of eggs.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Combat ends. Not sure if I described the part of the room with the eggsss before, so here it is...

This large chamber has a roof of intertwined mangaroo roots and trunks. Shallow water no more than a few inches deep covers the floor of the chamber, lapping at the bottom of hundreds of tiny pale leathery eggs. On the northern end of the pool, looming over the other eggs like a malignant gargoyle, is a halfling-sized black egg. A wide hallway leads west over a low dirt embankment with three wooden chests on it and beyond to another watery area.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Lola: loaded crossbow readied, 45 bolts left, light cast on a bolt at 1108, 8 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: charged mind blade longsword and sunrod readied, 17 bolts left, 4 hp damage
Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 0 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left, wand of CLW 21 charges left, 6 hp damage
Fluffy: 11 hp damage
Evan Prost: unloaded slingstaff readied, 3 +1 bullets and 49 normal bullets left, darkvision 178.5 minutes left, water breathing ~10 hours left, 14 hp damage
Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 36 arrows left, 4 hp damage
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost turns his attention to Fluffy...Come here boy, I got a treat for you Prost gives Fluffy one CLW potion, also drinks one himself, and reloads his sling staff.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Hoping not too many actions since we no longer in battle. GM can you roll CLW potion?

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius keeps a wary eye on that large, black egg.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I forget, are they looking for a single egg or eggsss?

Tex moves to the edge of the pool and examines the eggs carefully. Can he tell anything at all about them?
Knowledge Nature

If it looks safe, he'll cautiously continue into the water and examine the black egg.
Knowledge Nature:

OUT OF CHARACTER
krap rolls. Can I take 20?

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

"Are these the eggs that the lizard folk were worried about?, asks Worrel.

On a whim, he mutters a prayer and examines the black egg for the taint of evil.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Detect Evil

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Yes, they are, Cyrius avers. Perhaps one of us should go inform Hissshka, the lizardfolk shaman, that we have defeated the minions of the Black-Scaled Queen. He might be able to tell us if that black egg is... natural.
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

CGM3 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:25 pm Yes, they are, Cyrius avers. Perhaps one of us should go inform Hissshka, the lizardfolk shaman, that we have defeated the minions of the Black-Scaled Queen. He might be able to tell us if that black egg is... natural.
Since Lola is in the back of the group, she will volunteer to go and tell Hisshka what we have found and ask the question about the black egg. She will keep her crossbow at the ready.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Prost feeds Fluffy a potion [healed 3 hp]

On initial inspection, Tex recognizes the small eggs as lizardfolk eggs, but is uncertain about the big black egg. After some careful thinking [taking 20], he's sure the black egg is not that of any natural beast; it must be from a magical or otherwise unnatural creature.

Lola goes to tell Hishka of the party's success against the "black-scaled servants" and ask about the black egg. Hishka answers, The black egg belongsss to the black-ssscaled queen. Ssshe sssaid ssshe placssed it among oursss asss a token of honor. The aged lizardfolk then accompanies Lola back to the egg chamber to verify the Amazon's story. The large viper (V) and one of the other lizardfolk (L11) also come along.

Upon arriving in the egg chamber, Hiska seems pleased, exclaiming, You have freed usss from the black-ssscaled queenss ssservitude! Our bargain isss complete!

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Lola: loaded crossbow readied, 45 bolts left, light cast on a bolt at 1108, 8 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: charged mind blade longsword and sunrod readied, 17 bolts left, 4 hp damage
Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 0 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left, wand of CLW 21 charges left, 6 hp damage
Fluffy: 8 hp damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 3 +1 bullets and 49 normal bullets left, darkvision 176.5 minutes left, water breathing ~10 hours left, 14 hp damage
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

While waiting for Hiska, Tex will take a careful look at the three chests.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The chests are made of oiled wood, probably to help keep their contents dry. Tex doesn't notice anything suspicious or dangerous about them.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Good Hishka, Cyrius addresses the shaman, should we remove the black egg from amongst your young? I fear it might be harmful to them.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex will carefully open and inspect the contents of each in turn.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost notices Tex fooling around the chests...calling out to himTex, did you check those for traps? Would be prudent since the bad guys had control of the area. Prost stealthily makes his way over to check for traps.
Prost will open the chest if he detects nothing...otherwise he will attempt to disarm the trap if found.
Last edited by smeltdm on Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex is about to flip open a chest, but holds his hands up as Prost comes up. He steps back, All yours my friend. I didn't see anything.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry, missed Worrel's detect evil last time. PM sent.

Tex and Prost, with Fluffy tagging along, check out the chests. By taking their time, they are able to wade through the egg pool quite easily without damaging the eggs [Assumed you each took 10 on Acrobatics to avoid the eggs]. Neither of them find any traps on the chests, so Prost opens each in turn. Inside, he finds:
  • A large pile of coins (it will be 5,320 sp, 1,930 gp, and 21 pp once you have time to count it)
  • Six potions
  • A ring
Meanwhile, Cyrius asks the shaman, Should we remove the black egg from amongst your young? I fear it might be harmful to them.

Hishka replies, I am not sssure... the tribe will have to move from thisss placssse ssso the black-ssscaled queen cannot find usss. I do not wisssh to give her additional reassson to sssearch for usss, Ssso maybe we ssshould leave her egg here?

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Fluffy: 8 hp damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 3 +1 bullets and 49 normal bullets left, darkvision 176.1 minutes left, water breathing ~10 hours left, 14 hp damage

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”